• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Oh man, I'm sorry that happened to you, Cornbread. Good to hear you're alright, and hope you get everything sorted out and the minivan can be back to good condition. Was it a big hit?

Cornbread78

Sounds like a douche. I've dealt with assholes like that more times than I would have liked. Are you okay? Rant away, get it all off your chest.

Sorry that happened Cornbread. Being rear ended sucks. Hopefully it wasn't bad enough that you'll be sore tomorrow.

Thanks guys (Nin man and Lines too), it's all good.

I can feel my back tightening up a little, but it's nothing really. I'm more pissed at the huge inconvenience this is because I can't commute to my regular office job tomorrow with the rear all smashed in and the light hanging off. That means I have to work from my laptop at home at the kitchen table which is uncomfortable and annoying especially this time of year when clients are calling and emailing all day. I need my keyboard and mouse from my docking station... Dammit, I have to get up in 5 hours ftom now and I'm still heated, uuggh.

BTW, have I mentioned how much fun Soma is to watch? Good stuff..

Line_HTX

I can feel my back tightening up a little, but it's nothing really. I'm more pissed at the huge inconvenience this is because I can't commute to my regular office job tomorrow with the rear all smashed in and the light hanging off. That means I have to work from my laptop at home at the kitchen table which is uncomfortable and annoying especially this time of year when clients are calling and emailing all day. I need my keyboard and mouse from my docking station... Dammit, I have to get up in 5 hours ftom now and I'm still heated, uuggh.

Yeah, that's a big inconvenience if you don't have your work computer.

Happy that you're having fun with Soma. I keep forgetting that it's Kirito's voice, but then again it doesn't matter. I think you already saw Alice, right? I was rocking her ava for a while. I might go back to Alice someday.
Maybe go back to Erina ava too. ;P

Goddamn man this sucks, hope you feel better soon. Was the person at least forthcoming about sharing contact information and whatnot? I mean if he hit you from behind he had to know it was his fault.

Cornbread78

Yeah, that's a big inconvenience if you don't have your work computer.

Happy that you're having fun with Soma. I keep forgetting that it's Kirito's voice, but then again it doesn't matter. I think you already saw Alice, right? I was rocking her ava for a while. I might go back to Alice someday.
Maybe go back to Erina ava too. ;P

Yeah, she showed up on the last day of the camp. She more tsundere that Erina, if that's possible. I'm still really interested to find out the Erina and
Soma's father picture
thing going on... siblings? No way they would....

Goddamn man this sucks, hope you feel better soon. Was the person at least forthcoming about sharing contact information and whatnot? I mean if he hit you from behind he had to know it was his fault.

Yeah, he was good about it. It took the cops about 20 mins to get there to write up the info sheet and report though, it was an easy case for him, lol.. fuck, way past bedtine.

Line_HTX

Yeah, she showed up on the last day of the camp. She more tsundere that Erina, if that's possible. I'm still really interested to find out the Erina and
Soma's father picture

Yeah, he was good about it. It took the cops about 20 mins to get there to write up the info sheet and report though, it was an easy case for him, lol.. fuck, way past bedtine.

Doubtful. It wouldn't make sense.

Cool, you got a report and he was cooperative at least.

Erigu

Looks like it's another short story in Shosetsu Yasei Jidai. Not a full novel.
Yep, like I said above.
So, ignoring the four books and one short story that have already been adapted, we'd go from "one book and two short stories left to adapt" to "one book and three short stories left to adapt" (for what it's worth, the fourth book of the series was a compilation of seven short stories). It really doesn't change much, and I'm not sure why people are getting excited.

phaze

New story, anyway.

Looks like it's another short story in Shosetsu Yasei Jidai. Not a full novel. The last Hyouka short story to run in that magazine was in the November 2013 issue.

Yep, like I said above.
So, ignoring the four books and one short story that have already been adapted, we'd go from "one book and two short stories left to adapt" to "one book and three short stories left to adapt" (for what it's worth, the fourth book of the series was a compilation of seven short stories). It really doesn't change much, and I'm not sure why people are getting excited.

Oopsie. Nippon scribblings too stronk. Wasn't even aware there were short stories too.

Ascheroth

The Perfect Insider 06

Guys I kinda feel bad because I didn't think this was a bad episode lol. I enjoyed it, specially compared to last week. We also got the investigations going forward and a flashback that showed us
Magata and her uncle killing the parents.

Maybe I really do have shitty taste since it's 2 negative reviews (1 dropped the show even) vs mine.

WELP.

I did say that I really liked the mystery bits. So if the rest doesn't bother you, well great!

Maaaaayyyybe I'll check out this single Aikatsu episode.

Maybe.

You should just go and do youself a favor and watch Fafner. Seriously. You have no excuse to not watch this if you're searching for good mech shows.

Soma's father picture

About Erina:
No way in hell they're related. Erina is obviously just admiring him, there's nothing more to it.

Instro

So, I just got rear ended on the way home from work by some punk. Fucker trashed the family minivan, wtf.. my next summery post will have a negative tone, I can already feel it.. fucking pissed. Stupid douche, how do you rear end someone at a red light? I was almost home too... Wtf asshole.

/rant.

Coincidence, my girlfriend and I were rear ended on the freeway coming home from work tonight. Poor kid apologized about 20 times.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So, I just got rear ended on the way home from work by some punk. Fucker trashed the family minivan, wtf.. my next summery post will have a negative tone, I can already feel it.. fucking pissed. Stupid douche, how do you rear end someone at a red light? I was almost home too... Wtf asshole.

/rant.
Damn, that sucks :(
Sorry to hear that.
Coincidence, my girlfriend and I were rear ended on the freeway coming home from work tonight. Poor kid apologized about 20 times.

Sorry to hear that.

Line_HTX

The original is still pretty good. It's obviously not quite as good looking, but it's still pretty top tier as far as mecha shows go.

Is this part of the good 90s mecha? I've been thinking of looking at some of those old shows one day. Stuff like RaXephon, Genesis of Aquarion, etc sound like the good stuff from that era.

And of course, Big O.

Syrinx

Monogatari Second Series 17-20

Pedo aspects aside, Hachikuji was actually a pretty all right character, so seeing how this arc came as a bit of a shock as it kept building up to what the darkness was and how to get rid of it. At least now there won't be more sexually harassing a ten-year old.

Also I guess it was nice.to get some backstory on Shinobu but I've really had my fill with her and hope she plays a backseat role at most in the next arc.

Monogatari Second Series 21

Whole episode of Senjougahara and Kaiki and it was just as awesome as I could have hoped for.

SkyOdin

Is this part of the good 90s mecha? I've been thinking of looking at some of those old shows one day. Stuff like RaXephon, Genesis of Aquarion, etc sound like the good stuff from that era.

And of course, Big O.

All of those are from the early to mid 2000s. :p

I've been watching Fafner for the first time over the last couple weeks, and have just about finished the original series. It's pretty good. The series' strong points are definitely in its emotional moments, rather than the action sequences, but that isn't a bad thing.

RaXephon is good, and well polished visually. It is certainly a series made in the wake of Evangelion though, and comes close to ripping it off wholesale at times. However, the series maintains its own unique identity really well. It does have a few downright odd plot twists though.

Now Aquarion is something completely different. It is the most super robot of all super robot shows, since the Aquarion itself cares not one whit about such things as the laws of physics or even making sense. The series is a lot of fun in my opinion.

But how is the original that you need to watch first?

Still quite good. The art quality isn't the best, especially since it's Hiraiface and early-2000's digital coloring. The action scenes aren't going to be amazingly impressive either, but those aren't really the main point of the original show.

The writing in the first half is deliberately slow and plodding, with a lot of exposition left either unexplained or mentioned offhand. Not terrible, but the kind of thing that makes more sense on a rewatch with context. After Tow takes over writing completely is when it keeps getting better, and this continues onwards to the prequel OVA, then movie, then Exodus.

phaze

Monogatari Second Series 17-20

Pedo aspects aside, Hachikuji was actually a pretty all right character, so seeing how this arc came as a bit of a shock as it kept building up to what the darkness was and how to get rid of it. At least now there won't be more sexually harassing a ten-year old.

Also I guess it was nice.to get some backstory on Shinobu but I've really had my fill with her and hope she plays a backseat role at most in the next arc.

She's non-existent iin there IIRC.

Kyousougiga 09
That 2 minute exposition dump from Inari, all while walking slowly against the same background is still pretty funny. Also dull. The first half of this episode until the twist, unfortunately isn't that very engaging, again because of it's info dump nature.
Kyousougiga 10 END
0132863fk4e.jpg
013294x2kz9.jpg
013309r5jgz.jpg
013315gqki8.jpg

0133297ojmc.jpg
013356hgkpd.jpg
013363i9jnm.jpg
013373m8khz.jpg

And so it ends. Get
to your family
, Shinji !

I think I appreciate this show even more from the technical side of things. The art, the direction and the soundtrack are all stellar and it's genuinely one of my favourite looking shows ever.

On the writing side of things, in certain rspects I came to like the show even more. Kyousougiga features an immensely likeable cast of characters and the great care with which episodes 2,3,5, and 6 were put together only enhances that. On the other hand, the series does indeed have problems in especially in its second half, both with it's long winded, talky explanations as well as the failure to properly tie everything up, resulting in some unresolved questions and outright plotholes.
In particular, I'm not sure how the twist of ep 9 works in relation to Bodhisattva and her deal with Koto senior from episode 1. This is never referenced again and as we learn, Koto senior is not losing her body because the deal runs out but because of giving birth to a child. At least the issue of Yakashimaru restoring her body is neatly resolved by the power of creation gifted to him. (For some reason, the Chief Priest doesn't seem to posses that power ? This is confusing.) But a lot of similar things remain vague, how Koto jr. gets to Koto sr. in episode 6 or why does Chief Priest only act now despite clearly being aware of the 13th plane for quite some time through his agent.

All this notwithstanding, Kyousougiga is still a great show and one that I'll proceed to shill it for years to come. :p

Oopsie. Nippon scribblings too stronk. Wasn't even aware there were short stories too.

Well, might be a longer story that will run multiple issues as well, or it might lead to more shorts getting written. Guess we'll find out next month.

/rant.

Damn.

Saudades

Smooth. Is this a TV series?
No info on that yet. But I heard the manga is not finished yet so maybe it's another OVA series? UC side stories (0080, 0083) have always been OVAs right?
Dat sudden sax screech.

Haven't heard about the quality of the source material. I think some people were excited when this adaptation was announced, but I dunno.
I heard it was bad except for the suits and the action. Hopefully we're not getting another 0083 here (although I'd be surprised if they come up with something worse than Nina fucking Purpleton).

Character designs of Gundam Thunderbolt:
0n0NgW0.jpg
Why are all the Zeon pilots disabled people? Is it Gundam version Katawa Shounen here?

jgminto

Gundam Thunderbolt looks like it could be neat, though I know nothing about the manga and have zero attachment to the UC Timeline so I'm not sure if I'd get much out of watching it.

Jintor

YuruYuri s3 03

Sakurako looks good with her hair up, weirdly.

Not enough of best ship in this episode, but the amount of SakuHina made up for it i guess.

Jintor

oh, and sucks animegaffers getting rear-ended all over the world apparently. that sucks.

Non Non Biyori s1 4

I decided to try and watch this without subtitles since NNB is pretty easy to follow regardless and I wanted to test myself. I'm doing okay I guess.

The little story with Renge and her summer holiday friend should have won an award for direction or something. The art is kind of all over the place visually for anything that isn't close-up animation but the direction, voice-acting, timing and music generally are god damn impeccable.

Szadek

Clannad After Story Ep18
The only reason I'm not watching the next episode already is because otherwise I might suffocate.
The episode was that good.

Quasar

Perfect Insider 1-3 - Not sure why I didn't try this before now. Probably because the name is so bland. Tried it out knowing literally nothing.

Have to say I'm very intrigued by the central mystery. Another locked room mystery. Interesting this comes out just after Rokka.

Cornbread78

Clannad After Story Ep 16
And so it begins. I see you back in a few hours once I'm finished with the series.

Clannad After Story Ep18
The only reason I'm not watching the next episode already is because otherwise I might suffocate.
The episode was that good.

That's why I had to keep going, it was too much for the heart and soul, but yet I couldn't stop.
A few tissues were destroyed during the viewing of those episodes
. My post right after 16 was pretty emotional because I didn't expect it at all, so it hit really hard. 17 kinda makes you angry, then 18 does it to you again multiple times, so many amazing scenes that reach your soul, especially
the scene in the field with Ushio... that hug gets me every time

I need to step outside real quick..

cornbread

if it will cheer you up
we can group rewatch SAO together (only the first arc of S1)

Sounds like a plan, been wanting to do it again anyway, lol

Damn, sucks dude, sounds like everything is good for you. I'm just glad my kids weren't with me...

Szadek

Clannad After Story Ep 22
You know, I thought that the anime would go in this direction, so I was right about that.
However, I also thought that I wouldn't like,but I was very wrong.
It was just too good. I can't possible mad at that ending.

Now that the main story is over I will slow down a bit with the last 2 episodes.

Perfect Insider 1-3 - Not sure why I didn't try this before now. Probably because the name is so bland. Tried it out knowing literally nothing.

Have to say I'm very intrigued by the central mystery. Another locked room mystery. Interesting this comes out just after Rokka.

Impressions for this show are such a mixed bag. I'm one of the few that's been enjoying every episode (aside from 5, that one definitely sucked a bit). I'm just glad that there is a mystery show at all. Sakurako-san's mysteries are way too simple and pretty much episodic.

CSzEAybU8AAXgmZ.jpg

wah ,, the last episode i saw from naruto is the start of the war

really only 10 episodes non filler in 2015 ?

Its true.....we just finished the longest filler season, had a couple of weeks of canon before going into what looks like an even longer filler season. The worst thing is the amount of bullshit is in this filler. It doesn't make any sense, I'm convinced the studio is on crack. How is this even allowed to happen? I don't know but I'm placing them below shit tier.......SP is now Koei Tier.

Generate

Banned

/rant.

Sorry to hear that, buddy :(

pbayne

Mushishi Finished

Very chill show. I don't want to jump straight into another series of it cause it feels like a watch one a week type show.

I was surprised by how simplistic a lot of the stories were. There are no real themes or underlying messages to most episodes, except for some light respect nature stuff. I actually liked that. The show just presented a story and said "make of it what you will".

While the art style is great it leads to my one complaint about the show; character designs. There are so many characters who look so similar it makes recalling certain episodes really difficult.

Favorite episodes were Ginko's training, the bridge episode and the girl who can't look at light.

P.S Picked up the Space Dandy Blu-rays. I forgot how good this looks. So many colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom