• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Ohhh okay gotcha. So in a way shouldn't fans be pleased with this? Unless they are of horrible quality, this would mean loads of new content that they never read on the manga. But let me guess, the quality isn't there lol.

In Naruto's case it's terrible and entirely exist to waste time. I imagine a lot of it has to do with all the movies they've been working on lately, so all the filler looks cheap as fuck and the pacing is dogshit.

Ohhh okay gotcha. So in a way shouldn't fans be pleased with this? Unless they are of horrible quality, this would mean loads of new content that they never read on the manga. But let me guess, the quality isn't there lol.

Filler arcs usually aren't interesting and they almost don't have any real impact on a manga's overall story. Like, I'm not a manga anime expert, but has any character who was exclusive to a filler arc in a manga adaptation ever been relevant or even mentioned after the filler arc was over?

The only filler arc I'm familiar with is that one in Fairy Tail (before the 2014 version). I honestly liked that filler arc though, since IIRC Hiro Mashima (the manga's author) was behind it and it was brought up in the manga for important information regarding the world-building. That I feel, was a filler arc done right.

But then again, it's Fairy Tail, so it's not like it matters much despite it being my gateway anime, haha.

It's not like the Naruto or One Piece anime series are much good at adapting the manga material, so I don't know why people get especially bent out of shape at the presence of "filler".

The quality of the adaptation is really a separate issue from low quality anime original arcs. Filler isn't inherently bad, it just usually is.

phaze

Filler arcs usually aren't interesting and they almost don't have any real impact on a manga's overall story. Like, I'm not a manga anime expert, but has any character who was exclusive to a filler arc in a manga adaptation ever been relevant or even mentioned after the filler arc was over?

Utakata (six tails) in Naruto kinda counts I think.

Praised be filler cause it gave us this and this

The quality of the adaptation is really a separate issue from low quality anime original arcs. Filler isn't inherently bad, it just usually is.

I don't watch much of the long-running shows where this issue comes up the most, but I can't think off the top of my head of an example where a manga adaptation has a noticably large gap in quality between content taken from the manga and content created for the anime. Usually the quality of the anime-original content is an indication of the quality of the rest of the show (e.g., Hunter X Hunter 1999).

phaze

They hardly ever put that much effort into filler though. It they did that more often, I wouldn't be nearly as bored!

The current filler looks like it was done by their D team.

IIRC, Chikara arc was basically a yearly Naruto movie shoved down into the tv slot for some reasons so that's no surprise. ;p

JulianImp

The issue with anime-only filler is that it's often non-canon by definition, at least unless the manga writer happens to like something that was done in the anime and decides to implement it in the original after the fact (such as inspector Takagi in Conan). The fact that an episode isn't canon means that nothing can happen in it that would possibly affect the plot and/or continuity in any way, so the audience is often treated to one-shot characters or the main cast doing something absolutely inconsequential.

Whether an AO episode is actually good or bad depends a lot, but being on a tight schedule and having to devote resources to nailing manga adaptations means that AOs are often crappy and feature the cast doing whatever they always do. While it'd probably be too much to ask, I'd love to see a show manage to work an anime-only arc by focusing on side characters or anime-original ones, but I guess you'd need a really good plot to make sure you don't leave any loose ends that could end up interfering with the manga... maybe the anime staff could consult stuff with the author as well, but that's probably not viable time and budget-wise to do on the semi-regular basis that'd probably be required for a weekly anime.

Grexeno

It's not like the Naruto or One Piece anime series are much good at adapting the manga material, so I don't know why people get especially bent out of shape at the presence of "filler".
One Piece ironically has the opposite problem. Because Toei refuses to do filler, the adaptation suffers, as it's stretched out as much as possible to avoid catching up to the manga, especially now that Oda takes frequent breaks.

Moaradin

One Piece ironically has the opposite problem. Because Toei refuses to do filler, the adaptation suffers, as it's stretched out as much as possible to avoid catching up to the manga, especially now that Oda takes frequent breaks.

I'll take how Toei does it over Pierrot any day. At least Toei generally does the important moments justice.

Naruto filler is the worst because it takes a story that is arguably already drawn out to all hell, and extends it even more.

Why would anyone want a show theyve been watching 48+ episodes a year for the past ten years to end? I dont know why people complain about the content...yet still watch it anyway, some part of them find it interesting. (one of bleaches best arcs was anime original even) naruto best arcs were after the canon stuff.

Grexeno

Why would anyone want a show theyve been watching 48+ episodes a year for the past ten years to end? I dont know why people complain about the content...yet still watch it anyway, some part of them find it interesting. (one of bleaches best arcs was anime original even) naruto best arcs were after the canon stuff.
qszvmRH.gif

T-Rex.

Banned
Guys I want to watch the Fate series, but I have no idea which order to watch them in. Should I watch Fate/Stay (2014) followed by Fate/Zero or the other way around? And what about the 2006 version?

(Also this is my first post here. Hi!)

Moaradin

Guys I want to watch the Fate series, but I have no idea which order to watch them in. Should I watch Fate/Stay (2014) followed by Fate/Zero or the other way around? And what about the 2006 version?

Fate/Zero and you're good. If you need more, you can watch Fate/Stay Night(2014) but just know it's not the same quality.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Just watch Zero and skip the others.

Squishy3

I'd say Fate/Zero then Unlimited Blade Works if you really want to. Avoid the 2006 version.

Just know UBW is vastly different in style and tone than Zero is. They also both spoil each other, but Zero spoils less of UBW than UBW does of Zero.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Fate/Zero ----> Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

phaze

Welcome !

It depends on you really as the shows spoil each other. I'd recommend starting with F/Z as it being a prequel it spoils less of FSN:UBW while the latter will spoiler much more major things. 2006 is really bad, do not touch it unless you really need to/want to.

Edit: lol

Fate/Zero is the only good part of the Fate series.

Jaxec

Shirobako 2-24

Finally finished this after binging it for the last several hours. Easily with the top three anime of 2015 for me this year. I got to not only learn so much about the anime industry but have also come to deeply respect those involved. The characters were amazing and I found myself rooting for all of them, even someone like Hiraoka. I especially liked his character and the little development he got. Mio and Zuka were other favorites of mine and I really felt for Zuka and Mio when
Zuka got the part of Lucy.
I'm probably in the minority, but I really liked Tarou. He was a fun guy that, although full of himself and caused some problems, wasn't that bad of a person, ateast to me. The scene at the bar with him and Hiraoka made me appreciate these guys more. I applaud this show for having such a huge and diverse cast and actually presenting them as characters that are relatable, with their own stories. I would not mind a second season, but feel as though it isn't really necessary.

Hyouka 1-3

Wow. This is perhaps the most visually stunning anime I have ever seen. It's so beautiful and the choice of colors are so mesmerizing. Kyoani went all out with this and it shows. I'm loving all the characters especially Houtarou and Chitanda. I'm looking forward to more of their dynamic as I continue on. If I had one question it would be what's with the ending animation? It seems kinda sexual or maybe it's just me.

Shirobako 2-24

Hyouka 1-3

Wow. This is perhaps the most visually stunning anime I have ever seen. It's so beautiful and the choice of colors are so mesmerizing. Kyoani went all out with this and it shows. I'm loving all the characters especially Houtarou and Chitanda. I'm looking forward to more of their dynamic as I continue on. If I had one question it would be what's with the ending animation? It seems kinda sexual or maybe it's just me.

I also just started watching Hyouka. Like... actually just started. 16:52 minutes ago.

Jintor

more hyouka for the hyouka god

as for the ed... uh... it's an ed and someone wanted to draw not-quite yuri. that's my guess

T-Rex.

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll do what you guys said and start with Fate/Zero and then move on to Unlimited Blade Works.

L.O.R.D

The only filler arc I'm familiar with is that one in Fairy Tail (before the 2014 version). I honestly liked that filler arc though, since IIRC Hiro Mashima (the manga's author) was behind it and it was brought up in the manga for important information regarding the world-building. That I feel, was a filler arc done right.

But then again, it's Fairy Tail, so it's not like it matters much despite it being my gateway anime, haha.
what filler you are talking about ? the zentopia ? the first half was boring
but in the end, it was nothing good

the Eclipse Celestial arc was shit tho

John Blade

Finished Escaflowne

What a heavy watch. What a brilliant show.

First the mecha design of Escaflowne is godly. Third best of all-time behind EVA and Big O.

For a show labeled a shoujo I think this may be the best anime about "the horrors of war" I've ever seen. Everything is designed to make you despise fighting in this. Now don't get me wrong the animation is glorious and id say they got my blood pumping just as much as anything from OPM for example but they are horrible to watch. Blood, sweat, tears fly off every pilot in their cramped suits and fights are never elegant or glorious they're quick and brutal. By episode 15 I didn't want to see any of characters fight any more. And its not Gundam where they'll talk and talk and talk about how terrible war is, the show just presents it as human nature which leads to an intensely sad final confrontation.

The love triangle in the show is handled quite well aside from one unnecessary misdirection towards the end.
I'll admit I was pulling for Allen but Van was the right choice
. In fact the whole cast is so well rounded, even side characters like Dryden or Millerna have really satisfying arcs and relationships. Probably the least offensive furry of all time as well in Merle. And the villains, Jesus I LOVE Dilandu. Im happy they don't show too much of his past because it's really disturbing if you stop to think about what his life was like. He is a great hateable, insanely deranged villain though.

Thank god I finally finished it though, I took like 7 shows at once and finished them all about the same time. Never again. Ill stick to marthoninng one show at a time for now on.

I want something light as a palette cleanser. A good romance probably: Any opinions on Say I love you(Ive read a bit of the manga so please tell me the rest is good) or ao haru ride?

See that you like Escaflowne which is a good thing. One of the decent anime I have watch when I was teenager. For romance show, if you want one that isn't the typical anime romance and more into character development and plot of the story, look into Emma A Victorian Romance both Manga or anime. I think Cornbread78 finish season 1 and have an impression about it. Stick with the anime show for both season 1 and 2 as both come hand to hand and the conclusion is good. Get better if you read the manga version.

Phatmac

I think this show is at its best when it does SoL episodes as this was one of the better ones of the season with fun moments with Yato. I'm glad they added more comedy as the show has been lacking in funny moments. I was worried that it'd turn into another Yukine trust issue episode which would be strange considering he evolves due to the strong bond between Yato and him. Cute episode with one of the best moments of the season. Yato a cute!

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.7
He'll yeah, go get 'em blondie. This show is fun to watch each week. Let's see if they got it right with their choice.. damn cliffhangers.

--------''''''''''''

What's OPM anyway?

sonicmj1

If you ask me, these are the appropriate steps for watching the Fate series of anime.

1. Watch Fate/Zero.

(Hi!)

pbayne

See that you like Escaflowne which is a good thing. One of the decent anime I have watch when I was teenager. For romance show, if you want one that isn't the typical anime romance and more into character development and plot of the story, look into Emma A Victorian Romance both Manga or anime. I think Cornbread78 finish season 1 and have an impression about it. Stick with the anime show for both season 1 and 2 as both come hand to hand and the conclusion is good. Get better if you read the manga version.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. Meanwhile..

Say I love You 1-9

What is this? Teenagers in love that act like actual teenagers in love instead of anime teenagers? Actual good reasons for mis-understandings and people solving them by properly expressing their feelings? A relationship that actually goes way beyond just a kiss? Where has this show been all my life?

Imagine Kimi no Todoke except the exact opposite. Holy shit Mei and Yamato are so awkward and cute together.

I think this show is at its best when it does SoL episodes as this was one of the better ones of the season with fun moments with Yato. I'm glad they added more comedy as the show has been lacking in funny moments. I was worried that it'd turn into another Yukine trust issue episode which would be strange considering he evolves due to the strong bond between Yato and him. Cute episode with one of the best moments of the season. Yato a cute!

I agree this episode was pretty damn good. The last scene was sweet.

I was once like you, lost and confused. Then I found my first idol anime... And it's been downhill ever since.

I will not allow myself to pray to no idol. I shall build my own church. And bring you all with me.

What's OPM anyway?

Joining in on the fun:
It's a show about an OP egg-head that kills everything with one punch.

EDIT: I'm late.

John Blade

Hey Cornbread78

Are you going to watch Emma A Victorian Romance Season 2 or is it on hold for now? I notice you finish Season 1 but didn't see any update yet for Season 2. I am guessing you're watching your Let's Watch anime right now.

Crocodile

I don't watch much of the long-running shows where this issue comes up the most, but I can't think off the top of my head of an example where a manga adaptation has a noticeably large gap in quality between content taken from the manga and content created for the anime. Usually the quality of the anime-original content is an indication of the quality of the rest of the show (e.g., Hunter X Hunter 1999).

This is kind of a problem when trying to comment on this isn't it? :p

Only manga purists care about filler for the sake of filler but the issue is that extended filler in these long-running shonen shows (or even shorter ones like Soul Eater) are almost always of significantly lower quality than canon material. You thought canon Naruto was bad (and it is most of the time :p)? Well filler Naruto is worse most of the time. That's just the reality of the situation and the cause of ire for many people.

fertygo

I'll take how Toei does it over Pierrot any day. At least Toei generally does the important moments justice.

Big Fight in Bleach usually awesome tho, I don't think any fight at OP anime animated better than Grimmjow and Ulqiorra fight at Bleach or Hidan fight in Naruto

Quasar

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. Meanwhile..

Say I love You 1-9

What is this? Teenagers in love that act like actual teenagers in love instead of anime teenagers? Actual good reasons for mis-understandings and people solving them by properly expressing their feelings? A relationship that actually goes way beyond just a kiss? Where has this show been all my life?

Imagine Kimi no Todoke except the exact opposite. Holy shit Mei and Yamato are so awkward and cute together.

Its great. Though I think Kimi no Todoke is great too. Wish we got more Say I love You. Need to go back and read the rest of the manga one day.

And a nice change from the shojou where all too often the guy is an utter jerk.

Moaradin

Big Fight in Bleach usually awesome tho, I don't think any fight at OP anime animated better than Grimmjow and Ulqiorra fight at Bleach or Hidan fight in Naruto

Those moments are few and far between. I love when Pierrot gets their best animators and go crazy, but their norm (for Naruto anyways) is terrible. One Piece certainly isn't the best looking show, but it gets better looking episodes a lot more frequently than Naruto does. They've been rotating in their good directors pretty often lately for Dressrosa.

Cornbread78

Hey Cornbread78

Are you going to watch Emma A Victorian Romance Season 2 or is it on hold for now? I notice you finish Season 1 but didn't see any update yet for Season 2. I am guessing you're watching your Let's Watch anime right now.

I'll start S2 next week. My Anime ADD is kickin' in at the moment, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom