• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sword Art Online 07

Kirito walks into a store, breaks the most valuable item (with his own super sword that's totally the best thing ever made!) and then immediately starts talking shit. Is there anyone that can stop this madman?

I think the show, at least in these past seven episodes kinda knows what's it's trying to be and never pretends to be more. Kirito just fucks up bad guys and saves girls. Which is nice since it's really fun to see Kirito fucking shit up and saving girls.

As a one-shot episode this particular episode hit all the good notes; a new likeable character got introduced, they did something wacky and Kirito got to act like a badass. He even got a new sword and companion (who has the worst timing when it comes to confessing her love to Kirito).

The end of the episode was rather odd because it was basically two full minutes of Asuna stealing Kirito from the new girl, rather heart-breaking. Is this the awful fate that lies in store for every new girl that crosses paths with Kirito?

-------------

PS: Apparently the writer of the Light Novel writes his own fanfiction or something? I've been looking up some scenes and I can't even believe what I'm reading. Is it actually legit? Does this tie in with the infamous "chapter 16.5?"

it's real. The author wrote several SAO doujinshi before his professional debut. Chapter 16.5 is supposedly come from web edition of SAO

Mandelbo

Just got back from anime society, where we watched some of the later episodes of Higurashi... has it always been this bad? We were watching the fifth arc where
Shion escapes her boarding school
and the whole section with her and Satoshi felt so ham-fisted - she's literally known him for a couple of days and all of a sudden she's obsessing over him? Everything's so ridiculously over the top, like when
Shion slaps Satoko and she flies across the room, not to mention her awful dialogue. She's never even seen Satoko before this point! How does Shion jump to the conclusion that it's Satoko's fault that she's being abused?
It feels like it's trying so hard to make you care about what's happening, but everything's moving so quickly and it's all so comical. I do recall that this was around the point where I stopped enjoying the VN so much, but I don't remember the anime being quite this tedious to watch.

pbayne

Ao Haru Ride 1-9

I remember this being super popular when it first aired and while I think its great its not really that different from most other shoujos. I like shoujo tropes and conventions but I wonder why this show stood out for people.

I used to think Lovely complex was really frustrating for the amount of mixed signals characters gave each other but this show gives it a run for its money. Shades of Hibike too when Kou brushes futaba's lips, not gonna lie that bit was pretty sexy.

Watching a lot of shoujo back to back there's one trope that I can't stand. Why do people in the background talk loud enough for others to hear? Surely that defeats the purpose of backing behind someones back.

Line_HTX

Basically, SAO's author wrote hentai fanfiction about his own IP, and those tend to have sex onomatopeias because that's what people want in them.

Really.

Oh, I know about the whole "two years worth" and everything. I was just messing with Narag because he wrote some "sound effects."

You know that people are making that joke when one of the top Hearthstone players in the world cosplayed as Kirito for Halloween, LOL

Haly knows this too.

Phatmac

Heard you talkin' shit about best girl Megumi. Best remind you that I won't take it lying down.
vzIZK5Q.png

Cornbread78

Ao Haru Ride 1-9

I remember this being super popular when it first aired and while I think its great its not really that different from most other shoujos. I like shoujo tropes and conventions but I wonder why this show stood out for people.

I used to think Lovely complex was really frustrating for the amount of mixed signals characters gave each other but this show gives it a run for its money. Shades of Hibike too when Kou brushes futaba's lips, not gonna lie that bit was pretty sexy.

Watching a lot of shoujo back to back there's one trope that I can't stand. Why do people in the background talk loud enough for others to hear? Surely that defeats the purpose of backing behind someones back.

You've been watching my stuff lately, lol

JulianImp

Oh, I know about the whole "two years worth" and everything. I was just messing with Narag because he wrote some "sound effects."

You know that people are making that joke when one of the top Hearthstone players in the world cosplayed as Kirito for Halloween, LOL

Haly knows this too.

Oh okay, so it was just Ougi being passive-aggressive. Carry on.

Every now and then I feel like I should do my avatar justice and misdirect people with recommendations and stuf, but it just isn't in my nature.

Qurupeke

Owarimonogatari 7
vZ52oOV.jpg

And it's no Senjougahara, WTF. Senjougahara would say him without a second thought.

This actually started pretty good, covering almost everything in the PV, so it's 5 more episodes of new scenes. At first I thought the samurai was the Darkness but it seems that they're going to give a conclusion to the owner of Kokoro Watari. Well, considering that like 95% of his body was consumed by the darkness, there may still be a connection with Ougi... The samurai seems pretty strong and of course he was extremely creepy, talking with Araragi's voice. I also loved the way they tied it with Tsubasa's story.

It's a good thing that Yotsugi appeared at the end of the episode. Kanbaru is fine, but I can't stand her that much, so it's nice to see more characters so early. I mean, the 10 first minutes were her harassing Araragi...

Seraph of the End S2 Episode 6
download.png

A somewhat middling episode to be honest, but kind of a necessary one.

Still, seems like all the set up is done, and it's just gonna be action next episode.

I'm down with that.

Qurupeke

Huh, opening was quite good.

I didn't really like that they reused the endings' theme of weirdly drawn characters and the song was... not a song... At least not something that seemed as a song to me. It's not something that I'll be listening to a lot, like previous Monogatari openings. It's a shame that Shinobu doesn't want to do it. :(

Owarimonogatari 7

This actually started pretty good, covering almost everything in the PV, so it's 5 more episodes of new scenes. At first I thought the samurai was the Darkness but it seems that they're going to give a conclusion to the owner of Kokoro Watari. Well, considering that like 95% of his body was consumed by the darkness, there may still be a connection with Ougi... The samurai seems pretty strong and of course he was extremely creepy, talking with Araragi's voice. I also loved the way they tied it with Tsubasa's story.

It's a good thing that Yotsugi appeared at the end of the episode. Kanbaru is fine, but I can't stand her that much, so it's nice to see more characters so early. I mean, the 10 first minutes were her harassing Araragi...

Can someone tell me what exactly I need to watch to catch up on this series?
Last thing I saw was
Kaiki's death
The names confuse the hell out of me.

Qurupeke

Can someone tell me what exactly I need to watch to catch up on this series?
Last thing I saw was
Kaiki death
The names confuse the hell out of me.

I guess you've seen Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari:Kuro and the whole of Monogatari S2? Then, you only miss Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari and you're ready for Owarimonogatari.

The Shinobu Mail OP is one of the better Monogatari OPs, both visually and musically. In fact, at first glance, I'd put it second only to the Koimonogatari OP.

I really start to feel odd for not liking it...

Phatmac

Right off the bat I'm sad not to hear Shinobu sing an OP as her VA doesn't do character songs. The new OP looks great but I didn't enjoy the lack of vocals. It's great to have more Kanbaru as she hadn't been in the show in a while. It's fun to hear her exchanges with Araragi with dumb topics like virginity that later turn out more serious than you'd expect. The samurai cgi looked pretty terrible which ruined the fight. Strong start to the new arc which confirms the true OTP of this series. Sorry crab girl.

Line_HTX

Damn three episodes behind, gotta catch up on the best sleeves.

Keep in mind I'm not lost at all despite watching this all out of order. I never really did sit down and watch the previous iterations.

Also the most dense part of Monogatari right now.

There are like four Monogatari arcs which play directly before, after and at the same time of the Shinobu Mail events.

javac

I'm glad that you enjoyed Ponyo, I too really enjoyed it and never really saw eye to eye with the people that didn't. I mean I understand why people would feel that way, but unlike Howl’s Moving Castle, a movie that people found to be a mess to watch due to the pacing and the overall convoluted nature of it all Ponyo on the other hand is easy to follow and for all intents and purposes is a by the numbers film which helps with allowing the audience to become immersed in this realized world as well as aiding the younger audiences to fall in love with it. It's definitely more laid back and modest from a story standpoint when compared with many of Miyazaki's other films, not too concerned about any particular message and instead just concerned with delivering a fun movie for the whole family, and being an (loose) adaptation of The Little Mermaid, it makes all the sense in the world. I'd say that's one of the more Disney-like films Ghibli has developed, one more in tune with western sensibilities from a storytelling standpoint. In terms of the visuals I think that it’s the cream of the crop, with the animation blowing me away. Like you touched up upon, everything has life breathed into it as everything moves from the waves, rolling a long the surface like clouds in the sky. The line-work is super attractive and gives the whole film an endearing and warm aura. The soundtrack also had me mesmerized and speaking of which, I really enjoyed the dub but that goes without saying.

It really is a fantastic film and Miyazaki took the necessary steps off of Howl in cutting the fluff and streamlining the whole thing, and although some may argue that he went too far into the opposite direction, I can only say that I disagree. One of Ghibli’s finest.
Space Adventure Cobra
Glad that you enjoyed Cobra too and again agree with your sentiments although I found more pleasure in the ending and the reveal than most I guess. It was just so out of left field in a way in which only Cobra would deliver that I found myself flabbergasted. It’s one of those things that you’d expect to be spoiled on that when it happened I was just in hysterics. The dated relics littered thought the world I found endearing, like many old stories depicting the future, its hard to escape. The show not unlike the character is both laid back and relaxed, however I still managed to find myself on the edge of my seat many times over especially during the GOAT Rugball arc and again like many of these shows from times gone by, the visuals really hold up today, from the postcard memories to the pastel and painterly visuals Dezaki is very much known for. Fun, psychedelic, charming and stylish Cobra is indeed 10/10 material. The 31 episodes go by fast and you’ll find yourself missing the high roller lifestyle soon after.

I really start to feel odd for not liking it...

My understanding is that you don't like it because it's unconventional, not being J-pop and using Hajime Ueda's art instead of the designs for the show proper. It's that very thing that attracts me to it. I like OPs/EDs that stand out from the pack by doing something unique instead of settling for something generic, bland, and forgettable.

Right off the bat I'm sad not to hear Shinobu sing an OP as her VA doesn't do character songs. The new OP looks great but I didn't enjoy the lack of vocals.

Uh, it has vocals.

javac

Also Narag, yes you need to watch Porco Rosso asap. Top 3 Ghibli film, best Miyazaki film

Disclaimer: Still not watched The Wind Rises and Kaguya *stares at Blu-rays on shelf*

Phatmac

My understanding is that you don't like it because it's unconventional, not being J-pop and using Hajime Ueda's art instead of the designs for the show proper. It's that very thing that attracts me to it. I like OPs/EDs that stand out from the pack by doing something unique instead of settling for something generic, bland, and forgettable.

Uh, it has vocals.
Right I meant the more traditional singing instead of the Latin chorus. Just not my thing most of the time.

Narag

Also Narag, yes you need to watch Porco Rosso asap. Top 3 Ghibli film, best Miyazaki film

Disclaimer: Still not watched The Wind Rises and Kaguya *stares at Blu-rays on shelf*

It's actually sitting right here and I've been too lazy to pop it in for an hour now.

Phatmac

These BL jokes are getting pretty stale so let's have an entire episode dedicated to them! Pretty bad episode overall that introduced us to a spoiled brat that went around town eating everything. I don't even know why I'm still watching this aimless show. At least the girls are cute and Haku's been good so far. Hope some kind of main plot kicks in at some point instead of BL jokes and hot spas taking its place.

javac

A Porco Rosso lover? /fistbump

Porco Rosso is incredible man, it’s impossible not to love that film although I'm willing to bet that somebody in this very thread is willing to prove me wrong. Better not be you Narag! It’s hard to explain without sounding completely crazy but when I first watched Porco, I felt the same feeling within my heart that you get when falling in love. Love sick I found it hard to even sleep at night and even now all these years later, just thinking about the film has tears forming in my eyes while the voice of Tokiko Kato re-enters me memories and the beautiful images of Italy fill my mind. Haunting beautiful, you really feel the emotion in her voice and the love for Italy is felt in each and every frame. Gorgeous. The sound track is just incredible, like hearing the voice of an old friend you really are reminded of times gone by, of better days. It’s clear to see Miyazaki’s love for aviation in Porco as the flight scenes are animated painstakingly as the land beneath falls into the distance and the horizon becomes ever clearer. The way the plane zigzags through the sky, choreographed like a dance between it and the sky is a sight to behold. It really is a personal film for me. I guess it's ironic that a film that stars a pig is the most human of them all.

It's actually sitting right here and I've been too lazy to pop it in for an hour now.
  • Grave of the Fireflies
    [*]Only Yesterday
    [*]Whisper of the Heart
  • Pom Poko
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas
  • The Cat Returns
  • Ocean Waves
Bro...get on this shit asap you lazy cat! D: Masterpieces of cinema is what these are, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso top three Ghibli films! But seriously,hope you enjoy them all when you get the chance! Look forward to hearing your impressions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom