• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I can't see the appeal in idol anime but instead of being ignorant I should probably check out at least one of these shows. Obviously it would need to be one of the better ones.

So, which are the best idol shows? Keep in mind that I'm a newbie to that subgenre or what you'd call it. I also tend to prefer shows that take their topic seriously.

Uta no prince sama
Shonen Hollywood

rrvv

Folks, I can't see the appeal in idol anime but instead of being ignorant I should probably check out at least one of these shows. Obviously it would need to be one of the better ones.

So, which are the best idol shows? Keep in mind that I'm a newbie to that subgenre or what you'd call it. I also tend to prefer shows that take their topic seriously.

Just start from Idolmaster or Love Live

You can't find a better idol show than Shounen Hollywood. And I say that as one who doesn't normally like idol shows either. Narag gives the best writeup I've seen on why you should watch it.

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 7

It's impressive how they keep the battle strategy exciting as the show continues. Tekkadan's bold techniques make up for some of the rougher animation fairly easily. They're able to make it feel like an actual battle is taking place with the shared focus on both the Mobile Suits and the Ships.
The Turbines seem like they could be a fun group of clashing allies with Tekkadan if they end up striking a business deal. It was already so exciting to see them face each other, the idea of them teaming up in battle against Gjallarhorn would be amazing.

jgminto

Shounen Hollywood was an incredibly surprising show, there were a few episodes with entirely different framing devices like the Musical that were so unique and refreshing compared to regular depiction of the idols.

pbayne

Nana 1-2

Madhouse are so good, this show looks incredible. Whats with character designs though? Everyone's forehead is massive.

Love the dynamic between the two Nanas and the show does a good job subverting your expectations of what they are like.

Might have to switch to the dub though. Jesus the sub is so fast I can't keep up with it.

Nana 1-2

Madhouse are so good, this show looks incredible. Whats with character designs though? Everyone's forehead is massive.

Love the dynamic between the two Nanas and the show does a good job subverting your expectations of what they are like.

Might have to switch to the dub though. Jesus the sub is so fast I can't keep up with it.

Very good choice! Nana is pretty darn great, although it become somewhat annoying to me later on in certain aspects. But, that's still far off and even then it was good.

Character design can be a bit off-putting at times but overall I quite liked it and it didn't share an overly generic look.

Jaxec

Hyouka END

I feel empty now. I ended up really loving this series, from the characters and their interactions to the beautiful soundtrack and animation. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is the most visually stunning anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching. This is only the third Kyoani series I've have seen ( the other two being Amagai and KnK, which I thought were okay) and I really want more of the same feeling. Anyone have any recommendations for a show like Hyouka or if I should watch any other Kyoani series? How do said other series up hold to Hyouka?

Ascheroth

Comet Lucifer - 07

Good episode. Roman and his mech are hilarious. Do Mon was apperently a badass and showed that he still has it in him.
Great fight again, but purple hair guy should just fall down a cliff.
The end was intriguing, looking forward to what this means.

phaze

Hyouka END

I feel empty now. I ended up really loving this series, from the characters and their interactions to the beautiful soundtrack and animation. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is the most visually stunning anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching. This is only the third Kyoani series I've have seen ( the other two being Amagai and KnK, which I thought were okay) and I really want more of the same feeling. Anyone have any recommendations for a show like Hyouka or if I should watch any other Kyoani series? How do said other series up hold to Hyouka?

Hibike/Sound Euphonium probably.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hyouka END

Hibike Euphonium. I think Hyouka is better by a small margin, but Hibike is one of the best show kyoani has to offer after Hyouka.

Go_Ly_Dow

Haikyuu S2 07

I too picked up that Tsukishima seemed to have something of an inferiority complex against Hinata, I thought it was just me. Pretty interesting, we see the team fail miserably as they try to improve and Tsukishima is just there doing what he's always done, which is play without putting his heart into the game.

They're only failing because of all the experimental tactics and trial and error.

If they played their standard game it would be fine.

Generate

Banned

AKB0048

Hyouka END

No other series quite captures the magic of Hyouka. It's a pinnacle of the animated medium. That said, there are other shows which are worth investigating based on your appreciation of the show. I'll recommend on two fronts.

Other well-produced shows with top-notch animation and art:
Nichijou
Dennou Coil
Space Dandy
Eccentric Family
Kaiba
Tatami Galaxy

Depictions of everyday life with some strong atmosphere:
K-ON Season 2
Ping Pong
Bunny Drop
Wandering Son
Shounen Hollywood

Concrete Revolution Episode 7

Judas was a good one as the voice of our youth and good power and outfit (love his shorts). Earth chan was annoying though.

Present day stuff is intriguing
since yes judas joined jirou.

Joe Molotov

The best idol show is The Laws of Eternity.

MlwLyml.jpg

Comet Lucifer - 07

Yet more action, it never seem to stop! I started to notice a bit of staleness in the cgi movements, though most of it was outside of any on screen action.
It feels like the story is moving at a snails pace, which is odd since there only seems to be 5 more episodes. I'd welcome a second season.

I'm liking the setting of this world. It's very versatile with the environments, going from the desert areas from the previous episode, to this luscious forest and mountains:

Ckb5UCg.jpg
4lPgisd.jpg

UWuhKDZ.jpg

Roman is slowly starting to become my favorite character, despite not having had much screen time at all

Phatmac

Great episode with some much needed action after the previous episode. Negotiations failed which entailed a difficult battle for Tekkadan as they were the ones getting beaten for once. Some great mini battles between our boys and some cute girls. It's a shame that our heroes would have to fight a whole crew of cute girls. That hat guy's so lucky to have such a crew. Nothing much to say but the battles spoke for themselves. Good episode with some more scary Mika eyes.

Kazzy

Hibike Euphonium. I think Hyouka is better by a small margin, but Hibike is one of the best show kyoani has to offer after Hyouka.

I echo this sentiment.

Having just watched that series, I'm suffering from similar withdrawls.

I wasn't going to necessarily post it here, because it comes across as more of a typical review (which it is), rather than the opinion posts that are more suited to this thread.

That said, if it perhaps helps in turning others onto the show, then I'll be satisfied.

-----------------

[Sound! Euphonium - Review]

5n6UzPK.png

Sound! Euphonium charts the journey of Kumiko, a somewhat distant and disinterested student, who, having just entered high school, seeks a clean-break. An experienced Euphonium player in her middle school’s band, she left under a cloud, having inadvertently insulted her one-time friend, Reina. Despite her resistance, Kumiko is pressured into joining the school brass band, upon the insistence of her new friends, Sapphire and Haruki.

Things quickly become complicated, as former band-mate Reina also joins the school, as does a new and driven band teacher, Noboru Taki. It’s not long before promises are made, alliances are forged, and their road to the national competition begins.

Not only does the series follow the progress of the band, but also our protagonist, Kumiko. She quickly identifies the band’s ability is mediocre, yet is completely apathetic to their cause. She’s likeable as a character, because of how normal she is - almost terrifyingly so.

Passive to her surroundings, as well as those who around her, as she readily concedes to whatever the norm may be. This overriding dispassion is what causes the rift between her and Reina, though she struggles to understand and accept this. Choosing despondency over any sort of reconciliation is what drives her to find solace in conformity.

Imbuing the mundane with the spectacular seems to something of Kyoto Animation’s forte, and it’s through the unassuming premise, that ranges of emotions are explored.

A brass band is big, and so are the individual egos of its players. To its credit, this isn’t something that is quickly glossed over - a lot of time is spent with these teenagers, as they toil with their practice, and each other. The resolutions are not always clean, as it explores some relatable ideas/questions. Can effort/intent, alone, supplant talent? Is sentiment more valuable than success? The nicest people are not necessarily those who are the most deserving of success.

Depicting the adolescent experience in a way that may surprise you, because it hits close, and it hits often. It isn’t melodramatic, or maudlin in its approach. This is a somber coming-of-age story that has a real deftness in its execution.

The characters grow, but as a result of taking charge of their own destiny, which sometimes involves conceding to the harshness that often comes with it. Kumiko encapsulates all of this, beginning as an atypical teen, and gradually transitioning into someone with real conviction and drive.

Like other Kyoto Animation show’s that have preceded it, Sound! Euphonium retains a familiar house-style, most closely resembling the likes of Hyouka. It retains the lavish production values that we have come to associate with their works - animation, direction, and music, altogether sumptuous. The detail, which has gone into the musical aspects, deserves special praise - it really treats it with a real reverence, something that draws you into caring about it implicitly.

That said, there is lack of bombast here, and chances are that, if you’re not a fan of Kyoto’s particular brand, you won’t find much to keep you satisfied. It’s a presentation, which neither belabors, nor patronizes, but is thoughtful - and rewards its audience for coming along for the ride.

Cute without the creepy. Slice of life, minus the fantastical. Sound! Euphonium succeeds through its earnestness in showing the reality and romance associated with the world in which it inhabits.

Highly recommended.

pbayne

Paprika

A lot to wrap your head around. Probably the most abstract of all Kon's movies. I know people say Nolan borrowed heavily from this to make Inception, but I don't he borrowed enough. The creativity this has with the idea of dreams is amazing.

Ive been pondering over the final scene with the shot of the cinema with all Kons movies displayed. I might be off the mark here but I thought it was kind of "look how much I push cinema and how experimental it can be. Literally you can express and make dreams a reality through film." Backed up the fact that Kon himself had a speaking role the film almost felt like a celebration of himself and his own creativity.

Any other thoughts on it? Feels like a movie that you could have a million different views on. Anyways all thats left is Tokyo Godfathers to complete the Kon line-up(and Paranoia Agent).

Nikodemos

Valkyrie Drive 06:

A dive into the seedier underbelly of Mermaid. Complete with match fixing, governmental corruption and betrayal.

Mei Fong's power was somewhat surprising but completely in-character. Now we know why she's so avid to gain as much money as often as possible.

Once again, Hiiragi papers over everybody else's fuckups.

And I bet Kadokawa are going to sell a huge amount of figurines depicting Mirei in various costumes (personally I think the qipao one is da bes).

Cornbread78

Owarimonogatari ep.7

Wow, what a good episode. Kanbaru virginity comments were hilarious and Araragi claiming he could only die with Shinobu was obvious, but stands out because of Senjougahara. That doll showing up again was fun too. Soooo many things from prior seasons you forget about when you watch the show.

Ascheroth

One Punch Man - 07

Another great episode. The tank-top bros are more like petty small scale villains then heroes (though I guess that's exactly what they are in this context, lol).
I think Saitamas speech is one of my favourite moments, but I didn't like the voice acting in this scene all that much :/

Phatmac

Weakest episode so far but it was made up with the beautiful animation for the meteor. I'm surprised that big set piece wasn't left for the end which left the episode with some odd pacing but it was still great. Sucks that our caped baldy is being treated poorly considering no one died. I'm really enjoying the Genos/Saitama relationship as it continues to develop. Excited for next week!

Cornbread78

Comet Lucifer ep.7
This show has gotten sooo much better the past three episodes. I have a feeling thete is no way this is only a 1 cour show though. The action and adventure parts have been really good and they are still building in an emotional balance to how Felia fits in with everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka END

You really should watch K-On. The better music anime made by Kyonai.
lol

But seriously, season 2 is great. It's when they decided to turn a moeblob show into a show about characters living the last year of their high school life.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam IBO-7
I have nothing but the highest of praise for this episode as it really delivered not only on the action front but many of the character moments as well. The show so far has retained this restraint to it that makes everything mesh so well. So the episode opens up with the former owner of CGS trying to reclaim his old company's property. It's somewhat refreshing to see negotiations go on for roughly six to seven minutes before both sides started fighting. There was a sense that neither side wanted to just start killing each other and it also allowed for some good character moments for both Orga and Biscuit. There were a number of shots where you could tell that Orga was 'forced' into a certain approach by Mika watching him and that Biscuit picked up on that. Good followup to the conversation from the previous episode. Not to mention this gave the battle a sense of purpose for Tekkadan as
this gave the company a connection into Teiwaz. Orga's goal in this fight wasn't to just kill the enemy but rather force them to acknowledge Tekkadan as an entity
Then you have the battle itself which highlighted numerous tactical elements from position, speed, visibility, maneuverability, weapon types and armor, and
boarding tactics
. The show so far has limited itself when it comes to the fighting and I feel it pays off so well as it's much more strategic than many of its predecessors. This was a Battlestar Galactica-lite sort of battle and I love it so much because of that. It's not just the Gundams duking it out and everybody else waiting for a bazooka missile to blow up in their face. In fact,
the battle in this episode was decided by personnel boarding the enemy's ship
F2EGhBZ.jpg

Kinda cool use of an interior frame to show how the two are bonding.
Even while all the fighting is going on, there were more character moments that helped strengthen the relationships between individuals. There was Atra and Kudelia-sensei bonding in how useless they are, the importance of the mechanics with that pilot thanking the kid, and Orga trusting Guts and Guts
subsequently going berserk
pKwObPr.jpg

I like how the camera pulls back from Gut's eye in this scene to reinforce his intensity.
The final five minutes were just awesome.
I totally thought Guts was going to bite it as he did the hero rush thing.
I think that might be my favorite moment in the series so far.
With Guts realizing he should back down but remembering that Mika trusted him to stop those two. It was a fantastic way of showing how it's not just Orga who is a leader but that Mika is just as capable of inspiring people as well. Guts just hammering on both on them despite his mech being mostly wrecked was a pretty powerful scene in the show.
You then have Mika being outspecced for once and using his brains to pin down a faster opponent. Mika having a competent opponent also brought out some real tension in the fight and we got to see his serious face again. Dude is intense as fuck.
10/10

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
One Punch Man Episode 7:

Not the most interesting of episodes but does provide some character depth for our protaganists along with some world building which is always appreciated.

One Punch Man - 07

After it happened in last episode already, this one just kind of just petered out towards the end. All this build up and then he doesn't actually have a meaningful speech or anything else really happening. On the other hand, I do appreciate the lack of cliffhangers at least.

Overall OPM has grown on me. It actually started doing a lot of world building and is better for it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider 05-06
I wish the male lead VA was stronger on this. I get that the character is supposed to have a certain deadpan nature but there's really a lack of emotion in some key exchanges, and his interactions with the other characters just feel off. It seems like a strange corner to cut on a show like this.

One Punch Man 07

Weaker episode but the animation for attacks on the meteor and the general character art was ace. The pacing may have felt off because of how the manga was

Okada Gundam 07

Really great episode with some good mechanical animation on the mechs as well. The all girl squad is kind of weird though, wasn't it Victory that had that bikini unit or some stupid shit like that?

How will Kudelia fit that hair into the helmet? That's what I really want to know.

Can't go wrong with Rasmus x Maaya.

Some nice ones from earlier in the year were:

Episodes 8 and 12 of YKA
Episodes 8 and 13 of Eupho
Episode 4 of Koufuku Graffiti
Episode 9 of Death Parade
Episode 12 of Houkago no Pleiades

I didn't touch almost any summer shows though, so i'm not even really sure what was good there.

Oh yeah, Yuri Kuma had some good episodes too.

Cannot unhear Avdol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 7:

As others have articulated already, this was another damn good episode in both the way of action and characterization for the most part. The CGS Owner is a little too one dimensional in his motivation which has been a bit of a problem with some of the supporting villains thus far.

Jarmel

Banned
One-Punch Man-7

Pacing felt off but what the hell happened to the voice actor in that speech at the end. It's just so bad that I have to imagine it's somewhat intentional.

Tuck

Haikyuu!! - 23
AHHHHHH SO MUCH TENSION. SO MUCH SUSPENSE. One more point! JUST ONE MORE POINT!*

How is this show so good?!!

*EDIT: Oh they actually need a 2 point lead. Yeah I don't know much about volleyball. Even so, that was hype as fuck.

Sterok

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 7

Sweet battle. Mika doesn't have the advantage for once. I thought Akihiro was going to bite it. Was that a gay couple? Naze's group was pretty cool in general. Orga sure doesn't shy away from the stupidly bold tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom