• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

One Punch Man 07

I read some impressions on this before watching saying it wasn't as good as the rest of the season, but I gotta say, I liked it. Certainly not the best episode, but not the worst either. The meteor scene with Saitama was great, soundtrack was also on point. And Saitama keeps making the best faces.

Russ T

Banned
I'm now two episodes behind on Concrete Revolutio, and I feel no strong desire to watch those two episodes.

Looks like I'm gonna drop it.

...Unless someone can tell me it's suddenly become really good? Or at least significantly better than it was? I'm generally very forgiving of flaws (I watch some seriously awful shows from time to time), but man, it feels like a chore having to watch that. (Looks like I'm almost certainly gonna drop it!)

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 40

Now that was a great episode. Hopelessly bubbly Towa is good Towa. Even Kanata is fine now. Oh hey, backstory of the kingdom and the royals' parents. A certain princess last season must be seething with envy. Angry Scarlet was well played too. Pissed, but not so much that she nearly got them killed. Now I'm interested in who/what exactly Lock was. Seems like he was possessed instead of brainwashed. Scarlet's new attack was pretty cool. And they get to deliver one last FU to Dyspear before leaving.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I definitely will.

I can forgive the tried and true high school setting and romantic stupidity that I hear is to come in this show if I get some excellently animated 2D robot fights and hype-inducing music.

Star Driver has some of the best TV mecha fights in existence.

It's a really fun show.

John Blade

Just looking at what is on sale on RightStuff Christmas sales, I am wondering if anyone here will post a list of anime on the Christmas sales that is worth watching or buying.

As someone who has no interest in real world sports, I think it's a shame a lot of people avoid sports anime/manga for that reason. I used to be similar, but I gave them a shot and they can be really, really good. Sports are a good medium for a more realistic and grounded type of drama and emotion without the need for end of the world type situations, and they can provide interesting visuals and action as well.

The thing is, good sports anime/manga don't rely on familiarity or fans going into the series being all that interested in the sport. A lot of really popular sports series are about sports that aren't all that popular in Japan (Eyeshield 21 with american football, Haikyuu with Volleyball, and I don't think Tennis like in baby steps and prince of tennis is super popular either). In fact, a lot of good sports series have actually sparked booms in popularity for the sport they're about in Japan.

John Blade

As someone who has no interest in real world sports, I think it's a shame a lot of people avoid sports anime/manga for that reason. I used to be similar, but I gave them a shot and they can be really, really good. Sports are a good medium for a more realistic and grounded type of drama and emotion without the need for end of the world type situations, and they can provide interesting visuals and action as well.

The thing is, good sports anime/manga don't rely on familiarity or fans going into the series being all that interested in the sport. A lot of really popular sports series are about sports that aren't all that popular in Japan (Eyeshield 21 with american football, Haikyuu with Volleyball, and I don't think Tennis like in baby steps and prince of tennis is super popular either). In fact, a lot of good sports series have actually sparked booms in popularity for the sport they're about in Japan.

It also depend on what type of sport anime you going in to watch. They're those that go into detail about the sport they're trying to show which might be great for anime fans who like those sport but might get bored for other fans. Then they're those sport anime that do talk a bit of the sport but more into the character development or the story which is something I can watch without any issue.

For me, I don't watch any sport anime mostly because it isn't something I look into but I did try one (Princess Nine) and even though they did talk about baseball in this anime, it's more into the development of the character in the show and how they work together as a team to even with problem which might cause issue not only as a team but for each characters.

Still, I guess it really depend on the people and what they're expecting.

It also depend on what type of sport anime you going in to watch. They're those that go into detail about the sport they're trying to show which might be great for anime fans who like those sport but might get bored for other fans. Then they're those sport anime that do talk a bit of the sport but more into the character development or the story which is something I can watch without any issue.

For me, I don't watch any sport anime mostly because it isn't something I look into but I did try one (Princess Nine) and even though they did talk about baseball in this anime, it's more into the development of the character in the show and how they work together as a team to even with problem which might cause issue not only as a team but for each characters.

Still, I guess it really depend on the people and what they're expecting.
I mean, I feel like a lot of sports series that go into detail are doing it because people aren't fans and they want to introduce people to the sport. Like, Eyeshield 21 kind of needed to explain american football rules a lot, or most japanese people wouldn't be able to follow anything at all since it's not exactly a popular sport there

javac

Never had an aversion to Sports anime but I don't necessarily have an affinity towards any particular genre either. I am peculiar about what I watch, that much is for sure but that's more dependent on what something looks like and isn't really quantifiable, at least not to me. If I take a liking to something I'll check it out. Idol stuff and the sort? I guess that qualifies as something that I'd never watch but its not like I'm incapable to touching the subject matter when its tackled in a particular fashion, say Perfect Blue although that's a stretch! I've always been like this I guess even outside of watching stuff as I tend to find it hard to shop for instance for the same reasons! I want something but can never find anything that fits my seemingly undetermined parameters. I just see something and its either the one or it isn't, it either catches my attention or it doesn't. I guess that comes from never having much money, I never want to squander my chance to get something good and not regret my decision. Likewise, time is also limited so I want to watch something that I'll remember.

ibyea

Banned
I personally have an aversion to sports anime the way I have an aversion to shonen because out of the ones I watched I only liked one of them. Although all that means is that I should start watching higher quality sports anime.

Concrete Revolutio Episode 7
download.png

Holy hell, he's building a morally ambiguous team!

But yeah, I could see why this isn't for everyone. I enjoy it for its history, and how it doesn't speak down to the viewer. But its pacing could definitely drive some people away.

Gundam IBO 07

This episode was outstanding. Picked up how Orga kept looking at Mika during the conference, probably because of what he said on the last episode, that Mika's gaze is something that he fears, he needs to show himself worthy of his devotion. They went into battle. The kid's resolve was admirable but I was glad that things ended the way they did because those other guys seem very interesting and I want to see a lot more of them. We still don't know on which side of the spectrum they are, good or evil, I'm leaning more towards the former.

Cornbread78

euphonium was the best sports anime of 2015 i think

in a sense

Cross Game was definitely the best sports anime this year because that masterpiece is timeless.

Accel World ep. 1-3
I watched the first couple episides months ago and for some reason I got sidetracked. I'm back into it now and gotta say this show is pretty damn good. I can't believe it is the childhood friend
that he is looing to out
I wonder if once that happens he will be stuck as a virtual world arbitrator between the two chicks. Does this little fatty (the matching pig aviation gets me every time, lol) really build a harem in this show? Oh well, I'm looking forward to the next battle.

javac

Ping Pong is one of the best shows I've ever seen, if not the best that much is for sure. I've been listening to the soundtrack nonstop since.
Hero
China
So fucking good.

javac

Ping Pong is seriously a marvel that is unrivaled in the entire medium, I just can't get my head around how amazing it is and how something like this even exists in today's climate. Not everybody can produce works like this, saying as such would be a slap in the face to all the hard work and talent that went into this show but it really does put everything else to shame. Like the show explains, you're at your best when you're having fun and its clear that they had a lot of fun making this show. It's unorthodox the whole way through. I can't wait to get started on my review!

Cornbread78

Accel World ep.4
Well damn, shit got real emotional really quick right there. That bastard kid.. Then, Chiyo's boyfriend
showing up at the hospital to kill her completely from the game or maybe even real life... what a piece of
shit. I was not expecting THAT kind of episode right there. Pretty damn good stuff.

Narag

Etotama 8
Pleasantly surprised to see the happy ending for Uma-tan as opposed to the usual get fukt endings for the others.

Etotama 9
Didn't' really expect the Piyo-tan battle to be so engaging nor for it to paint her in such a great light. That said, I don't know shit about shogi which ultimately places it as another one of those 3jp5me eps I can't fully appreciate.

Etotama 10
I swear to god if the earlier Uri-tan thing mirroring this was there to take us off our guard.

Etotama 11
Figured they'd go this route for Chu-tan and I'm glad they did.

Etotama 12 FIN
Surprisingly heartfelt ending to close it out. Approved.

====

In the end, I thought this was a good show but it's not something I'd recommend to anyone. It's schizophrenic in tone in how it bounces from dumb comedy to overly serious drama to shounen antics and really takes until episode 8 to find its footing. That's quite a bit of a time commitment. That said, once all the characters, stakes, and motivations had been established, the show came into its own with the closing eps as the characters actually felt like characters as opposed to the walking punchlines they generally were previously. CG action was surprisingly good too, largely free of the framerate issues that's normally associated with anime TV CG and the fight choreography was fairly satisfying. It earns my vaunted grade of "I didn't feel like I wasted my entire time watching this."

Etotama Specials 1-6
Forgettable.

Russ T

Banned
Just finished Gatchaman Crowds Insight.

Phew, what a ride! Insight was even better than the first season, though I think it took longer to really get going.

I'm curious as to why everyone seems to hate Tsubasa. Is it just because she's, unlike virtually everyone else in the series, so stereotypical in nature? Because I would agree with that, for sure, but she's very important to the plot. Suppose she could've been written out of the show and had her functions split up among the rest of the cast, but I dunno. I think it all worked?

Now to watch the latest ep of Noragami that I forgot all about until just now!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah but why make an all girl sports anime when you can make an idol anime instead

I'm only half joking
I'm really surprised that Crimson Hero never got adapted. But then I realized - the audience for shoujo sports is probably watching Haikyuu anyway, since they just want to imagine the boys fucking each other.
Excuse the shitty gifs, hopefully they're in sync :p
Oh wow, they just used a real match for the intro? lol

All this Ping Pong talk, I really should get around to picking up the Bluray at some point.
At least they went out of their way to hire a Chinese-speaking dude for Wenge.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - 06

dat Yuu Kobayashi

3J9724k.jpg
She's in this?

I feel like I got burned with Monster Girls, so I don't even know if I should bother.

If you want to watch an all girls sports anime you can just pick the first of its kind and watch Attack No.1 (or Mila Superstar)! And if you happen to like it you're in luck since there are over a hundred episodes!
My childhood memories tell me it's an awesome series but your mileage may vary.
Is Attack No 1 subbed?
Heck, no one bothered to do the second season of Aim for the Ace, so I just gave up on 70s sports shoujo.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Young Black Jack Episode 07

Just noticed that Eri-senpai is wearing the same tie that Black Jack wears when he's older. I guess it's a safe bet something bad will happen to her during the series. =(

Thoraxes

She's in this?
Yup, she is!

If you want just the stuff she's been in so far, check out episodes 6 and 7. Her character is the main focus of those two and has plenty of dialogue.

The show itself is pretty much your standard battle-harem format, except the MC
commits to a girlfriend
in the first few episodes.

I just happen to like those though, so ymmv.

TheRancor

Ping Pong is seriously a marvel that is unrivaled in the entire medium, I just can't get my head around how amazing it is and how something like this even exists in today's climate. Not everybody can produce works like this, saying as such would be a slap in the face to all the hard work and talent that went into this show but it really does put everything else to shame. Like the show explains, you're at your best when you're having fun and its clear that they had a lot of fun making this show. It's unorthodox the whole way through. I can't wait to get started on my review!
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/intervie...g-pong-art-director-aymeric-kevin-101497.html

Not sure Yuasa sleeping thirty minutes per night, (exaggeration or not) was fun but it sure was worth it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom