• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

The eating scene is one of the most beautiful moments in Anime history.

And that gorgeous Piano theme. ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIwPEi0fJQg

Strongest feels ever.

I'm kind of stunned at how much emotion I felt over the last few episodes. I wanted them to win so badly. When they didn't, I felt the loss. The emotion was just so well done, you can't help but feel sorry for these characters.

Haikyuu!! - END
"A tall, tall wall looms in front of me. What’s the view on the other side? What does it look like? It’s a view I could never see on my own. That’s… The view from the summit."

I knew they were gonna finish with that line from the opening episode and I'm really glad they did. Just made the ending perfect.

I'm absolutely blown away by this show. I don't even like volleyball in general (Or rather, I have no strong feelings towards it at all). Yet I couldn't help but get pumped for each and every match, each and every set. Every character here has depth, each and every one has grown in some way. They feel and talk like real people. They're likeable. You can't help but want them to win.

Glad season 2 is airing right now. I'm gonna jump right in.

Russ T

Banned
I'm absolutely blown away by this show. I don't even like volleyball in general (Or rather, I have no strong feelings towards it at all). Yet I couldn't help but get pumped for each and every match, each and every set. Every character here has depth, each and every one has grown in some way. They feel and talk like real people. They're likeable. You can't help but want them to win.

WELCOME

TO SPORTS ANIME

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
With OPM, Haikyuu, Noragami, Gundam IBO, and a solid list of B-Tiers/long term (Seraph, Gintama, One Piece), this has been a really good season so far.

Ascheroth

I've noticed I haven't watched an episode of Exodus today, so I went ahead and fixed that.

Fafner Exodus - 11

This. show. is. so. freaking. good.
I don't know what it is, but something makes this show extremely captivating to watch, even in slow episodes like this one. It was basically slice of life for 80% of the time and it still managed to be amazingly interesting.
I think it has to do with how it cleverly interweaved the many character development and interaction parts (which are really good on their own) with small chunks of plot, so you're always on your toes.

There's also no way I can not watch the next one immediately after that cliffhanger.
Exodus is so quickly rushing to the top of my AOTY list, it's not even funny.

With OPM, Haikyuu, Noragami, Gundam IBO, and a solid list of B-Tiers/long term (Seraph, Gintama, One Piece), this has been a really good season so far.

It has been pretty good.

Feels like there's something for everyone...

...well save for romance fans.

Boy is there an conspicuous lack of romance anime this season.

pbayne

I'm kind of stunned at how much emotion I felt over the last few episodes. I wanted them to win so badly. When they didn't, I felt the loss. The emotion was just so well done, you can't help but feel sorry for these characters.

Haikyuu!! - END
"A tall, tall wall looms in front of me. What’s the view on the other side? What does it look like? It’s a view I could never see on my own. That’s… The view from the summit."

I knew they were gonna finish with that line from the opening episode and I'm really glad they did. Just made the ending perfect.

Take those feelings, multiply them by ten and you get Hajime no Ippo

Cornbread78

Now that you have been initiated, it's time for you to watch Cross Game

Mashiba vs Kimura GOAT.

OPM 7 had weird pacing, I felt like the meteor should've been built up a bit more to give Saitama's casual entrance more impact.

IBO 7- I feel like if 08th MS team took place in space, the battles would look like this.

I've noticed I haven't watched an episode of Exodus today, so I went ahead and fixed that.

Fafner Exodus - 11

This. show. is. so. freaking. good.
I don't know what it is, but something makes this show extremely captivating to watch, even in slow episodes like this one. It was basically slice of life for 80% of the time and it still managed to be amazingly interesting.
I think it has to do with how it cleverly interweaved the many character development and interaction parts (which are really good on their own) with small chunks of plot, so you're always on your toes.

There's also no way I can not watch the next one immediately after that cliffhanger.
Exodus is so quickly rushing to the top of my AOTY list, it's not even funny.

I think it's also quite well done how they handle the the new characters. Enough time to develop and sympathize with them, while not sacrificing any time spent with the old ones.

Quasar

WELCOME

TO SPORTS ANIME

Its interesting how with folks who normally aren't into sports or sports anime they can find something that clicks for them. Happened to me, even if its mostly just non sports sports anime (Chihayafuru, Saki, maybe you can count Foodwars too). Though for real sports it was Baby Steps that clicked. partially because I actual like/played that sport and partially because of the tiny amount of shipping.

Ascheroth

I think it's also quite well done how they handle the the new characters. Enough time to develop and sympathize with them, while not sacrificing any time spent with the old ones.

Yeah, entire the cast is extremely good and they really know how to give everyone screentime. I was honestly shocked how quickly I accepted the new characters, since I know I'm normally not a fan of sequels sidelineing the established main characters in favor of new ones.
But in Fafner it really feels like it's just a big ensemble cast where everyone is important.

Fafner Exodus - 12

In most shows mech-pilots gaining supernatural powers even outside of piloting their machines is really cool - here it's just heartbreaking.
It's also painful (the good kind of painful) listening to every line of dialogue Yumiko says. Why did this have to happen to her :(

The expedition side is also not looking good and our island pilots continue to face the cruel reality.
RxehTDy.jpg

There's no running away
Looks like the Neo UN squad is still going to clash with them, even though they already reported having it under control. But I can't even be mad at the squad, since going by convential wisdom, they're absolutely right. It just so happenes that Kazuki and Soushi don't give a shit about conventional wisdom.

Its interesting how with folks who normally aren't into sports or sports anime they can find something that clicks for them. Happened to me, even if its mostly just non sports sports anime (Chihayafuru, Saki, maybe you can count Foodwars too). Though for real sports it was Baby Steps that clicked. partially because I actual like/played that sport and partially because of the tiny amount of shipping.

Some of the best anime of the past few years have been sports anime, if one is excluding them because of some preconceptions about the genre, they're really missing out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Haikyuu!! - END

WELCOME

TO SPORTS ANIME
Haikyuu I feel has a lot more going for it than a lot of other sports anime, especially the lack of shonen bullshit. Even stuff like the OP for both are just them training with no shots of matches.
Different strokes. Ippo is fantastic though.

Quasar

Some of the best anime of the past few years have been sports anime, if one is excluding them because of some preconceptions about the genre, they're really missing out.

For me I think part of my issue (beyond it being sport - and for real sports the sport itself needs to click with me) is that I tend not to enjoy all male anime and sports anime tends to be all male.

Maybe that's in part because if its all sport I get a bit bored, I'm as interested in the off field relationships as I am watching a game play out. Its a bit like actiony anime for me - dragged out action scenes aren't of interest. I'm more interested in the stuff between the fights for the most part.

Narag

For me, I think it's finding the right sort of gateway shows. Ping Pong and Princess Nine went a long way in that regard.

Qurupeke

For me I think part of my issue (beyond it being sport - and for real sports the sport itself needs to click with me) is that I tend not to enjoy all male anime and sports anime tends to be all male.

Maybe that's in part because if its all sport I get a bit bored, I'm as interested in the off field relationships as I am watching a game play out. Its a bit like actiony anime for me - dragged out action scenes aren't of interest. I'm more interested in the stuff between the fights for the most part.

QFT. I'd certainly watch a sports anime with the mains being girls. But I'm not sure if there's even such an anime, that takes itself more seriously and it's worth watching. It just seems awkward to watch something like Free, Haikyuou or even Kuroko no Basket. The fanart that DTL posts for some of them doesn't help either.

Tuck

For me, I think it's finding the right sort of gateway shows. Ping Pong and Princess Nine went a long way in that regard.

Think I'm gonna watch Ping Pong next, before getting into Haikyuu season 2.

Ippo is on my list but its a long one. Kokomo no Basket is on the list too. Maybe Free! ?

jgminto

Aim for the Ace already perfected women's sport anime.

Think I'm gonna watch Ping Pong next, before getting into Haikyuu season 2.

Ippo is on my list but its a long one. Kokomo no Basket is on the list too. Maybe Free! ?

Free isn't exactly similar to those other sport anime. It's closer to a slice of life show about a swim club, similar to K-On with the music club. The show is still fun though for the most part.

Check out Yowamushi Pedal if you're looking for exciting sport action, it's easily one of the most intense I've watched.

Quasar

QFT. I'd certainly watch a sports anime with the mains being girls. But I'm not sure if there's even such an anime, that takes itself more seriously and it's worth watching. It just seems awkward to watch something like Free, Haikyuou or even Kuroko no Basket. The fanart that DTL posts for some of them doesn't help either.

There's mixed ones. And that does limit things a bit of sports you can do. For me it started with Suzuka...but thats a relationship show with a sports backdrop. But you could do a show like that with athletics more to the fore. Just that its tough to do team sports, unless you have female coaches and training staff etc with a guy sports team. Certainly I've read manga that did that or the reverse (guy coaching girls team).

Taruranto

Girl Pilots #7

YES, she a girl AND a pilot. No, you cannot have her giant robot.

Also Kudelia's hairs are slowly but surely becoming a life form on their own.

You'll have to look at older stuff for that. I doubt Japan can produce a sport anime with an all-female cast without it being pedobait/an excuse for cheap fanservice.

Ascheroth

Fafner Exodus - 13

Urgh, I hate the Neo UN hag. Everything she does leads to everything going to hell.

On another note, there was again lots of amazing action and the second instance of using the opening as BGM. Sakura and Canon piloted again and got some really cool powers out of it, but I wish they hadn't because they got some really cool powers out of it. Sounds conflicting? It is.
Being a pilot in this universe is suffering.

Fucking hell, my heart skipped a beat when horror-kid appeared. And the after credits scene gave me goosebumps.

And with this I've finished season 1 of season 2 (lol), but honestly there was no real conclusion, it felt like any other regular episode in that department. Not that that's a bad thing, tough.
Only 7 episodes remaining until I'm caught up! (The wait will be hell, right?)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm glad they didn't take the part of G-Reco where nothing anyone does makes any sense.

Also where random things just happen.
I am still vexed over the fact that the MC ran himself into a wall like a Looney Toons character at one point.

javac

What did you think of the Christmas scene with Wenge? It's my favorite scene, super heartwarming.

Yeah I was straight up crying the whole way through, such an emotional series and a fantastic episode in general. Showing the cast away from the sport was really emotional, its of the things that Ping Pong does perfectly and with finesse, showing the characters as humans. There's no black and white depictions, no good or bad just people trying to find their way through the sport of table tennis. The way they react to one another, their mannerisms...its just all perfectly depicted. Them singing the Shogo Hamada song was a nice surprise too, its a personal fave of mine so that was even more sweet.

Gvitor

Haikyuu!! - END

Glad you liked it. Recently binged it myself, and absolutely adored it. Season 2 is airing right now and it's also fantastic. It's been really hard to keep away from the manga...

If you want to watch an all girls sports anime you can just pick the first of its kind and watch Attack No.1 (or Mila Superstar)! And if you happen to like it you're in luck since there are over a hundred episodes!
My childhood memories tell me it's an awesome series but your mileage may vary.

Fafner Exodus - 13

Urgh, I hate the Neo UN hag. Everything she does leads to everything going to hell.

On another note, there was again lots of amazing action and the second instance of using the opening as BGM. Sakura and Canon piloted again and got some really cool powers out of it, but I wish they hadn't because they got some really cool powers out of it. Sounds conflicting? It is.
Being a pilot in this universe is suffering.

Fucking hell, my heart skipped a beat when horror-kid appeared. And the after credits scene gave me goosebumps.

And with this I've finished season 1 of season 2 (lol), but honestly there was no real conclusion, it felt like any other regular episode in that department. Not that that's a bad thing, tough.
Only 7 episodes remaining until I'm caught up! (The wait will be hell, right?)

There are a lot of things spoiled in the new OP/ED that makes waiting every week hell. Not to mention almost every episode ends with some huge twist or cliffhanger.

Russ T

Banned
Haikyuu I feel has a lot more going for it than a lot of other sports anime, especially the lack of shonen bullshit. Even stuff like the OP for both are just them training with no shots of matches.

Haikyuu is, no contest, my favorite. But that doesn't negate other great series (Yowapeda, Baby Steps, Slam Dunk (well, the manga, anyway, the anime I couldn't watch even two episodes before I just gave up))

There's a new sports anime next season with mixed-gender relay racing team!

I have no idea if it will be good. I don't know anything about it besides that, and that it's based on an otome game, which is apparently a term for female-demographic games. http://anilist.co/anime/21330/PrinceofStride:Alternative

Anyway yeah there's a huge difference between Kuroko's Basketball (shounen as fuck) and... Most Other Sports Anime.

Other girls-in-sports: Princess Nine, Momodora (though she's only the manager, she is the main character).

I too only realized how great Haikyuu is recently. It has certainly taught me that the best shows can sometimes be hidden behind genres that I don't find appealing at all. It has broadened my horizons.

One Punch Man 07

Man Saitama really is incredible, I'm with Genos on this one. The guy saved the whole town and yet they all throw rocks at him at a moment's notice. Good thing that he is the way he is. He is true hero that the city needs but doesn't deserve. Literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom