• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that new JoJo season is coming up pretty quickly, I'm kinda glad I didn't cave in and read the manga.

Now if only we get a second season of Soma soon...

T-Rex.

Banned
What did you love most about UBW, the story, the battles? Have you seen something like Campione! or Samurai Bride?
The top quality animation combined with the mature story (more-so F/Z) and likeable characters. I also didn't mind the balance between the SOL stuff and the shounen stuff in UBW, I enjoyed the variation. If I were to pick only one aspect then I'd say the story is what made me love the series. I am a sucker for battle scenes though especially when they're that well animated. To be honest, I only really started watching anime this year so there's a lot of stuff I haven't heard of/seen. Out of the more popular series' I've really only seen DBZ, Attack on Titan, Steins;Gate, FMA: Brotherhood and Sword Art Online.

I struggle to think of anything similar to F/Z but for UBW, you may want to give FMA: Brotherhood a try ? A long but one of the more highly regarded shounens with great production values.
I've already watched that just a few months back but that's a really good recommendation since that's also in my top 3 of all time :p

Jaxec

If Spring has JoJo and MHA, this will be a fucking amazing season.

giphy.gif

phaze

The top quality animation combined with the mature story (more-so F/Z) and likeable characters. I also didn't mind the balance between the SOL stuff and the shounen stuff in UBW, I enjoyed the variation. If I were to pick only one aspect then I'd say the story is what made me love the series. I am a sucker for battle scenes though especially when they're that well animated. To be honest, I only really started watching anime this year so there's a lot of stuff I haven't heard of/seen. Out of the more popular series' I've really only seen DBZ, Attack on Titan, Steins;Gate, FMA: Brotherhood and Sword Art Online.

I've already watched that just a few months back but that's a really good recommendation since that's also in my top 3 of all time :p

If you want well animated fights then I would recommend:
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta + Hoshi no Umi + Tsuki ni Naku (warning for some obnoxious fanservice)
Birdy the Mighty Decode S1 + S2
Noein though I can't personally vouch for it as I haven't seen it.

All decent shows at the very least.

For something grimdark storywise, see if Texhnolyze or Shigurui might tickle your fancy. Just know that they're not very similar to F/Z; there are no elaborate fight scenes and the pacing is very elaborate. (aka slow)

Cornbread78

Try thise two I mentioned, they actually have decent stories and are more mature for the most part.

Now if you want straight SoL shows, I can list you a million... Go watch Clannad and Clannad After Story, lol.

Battlechili

Banned
Does anyone happen to know of any other legitimate anime sellers besides Rightstuf? I was looking to purchase Pony Canyon's R1 Etotama bluray set, but it looks like volume 1 of it has already gone out of print. :(

Was hoping to find out if there are any other places that would have it still in stock that are legitimate sellers.

DiGiKerot

Does anyone happen to know of any other legitimate anime sellers besides Rightstuf? I was looking to purchase Pony Canyon's R1 Etotama bluray set, but it looks like volume 1 of it has already gone out of print. :(

Was hoping to find out if there are any other places that would have it still in stock that are legitimate sellers.

I'm pretty sure Pony Canyon USA only sell their releases through Rightstuf, unfortunately, so if Rightstuf are out, you are probably SoL in terms of getting it at the original retail price.

Thoraxes

By some crazy coincidence I also watched Etotama last week. Great minds think alike as they say.
---So in conclusion, one could summarise the whole thing, if one were to put it succinctly, that all in all, the show is awesome.
Etotama was rad as fuck.
So angry that it barely sold.
Yes, yes it was awesome...
I like it a lot too!
If you're wondering what's in the bottle, it's sesame oil, lol
Bakemonogatari Limited Edition Blu-ray is being reprinted and is expected to be released in January 2016. $149.98
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Bakemonogatari-Blu-ray-Complete-Set-S-Limited-Edition
Glad I already got mine a long time ago. Was worth it.
Piano and drums are probably harder to animate than brass instruments due to the comparative amount of motion going on. A trumpet player is just pressing down a relatively small number of valves while blowing air, whereas a pianist is moving his hands all over the range of the keyboard. Most anime series which actually bother to accurately animate piano performance use CG hands to lessen the amount of work required (e.g., Nodame Cantabile). I don't believe Kids on the Slope used CG for the performances though, just 2D rotoscoping.
While I do agree with you, with regards to animation there's a couple things I wanted to mention.

I would say that drums are relatively easy considering most shows don't properly animate set players by going for camera angles that obscure proper technique, for the most part. There's a rare few examples of it being done well, especially when it comes to technique. When it is properly animated though, yeah, you are 100% spot on, though such circumstances are rare. For the piano stuff, yet again they usually cheap out and go for angles from the back of the piano showing the player but obscuring the hands. I really like the compromise they did for 3.33 though. Though it was what it was, the fact that it was so spot on had my jaw on the floor. It's rare to see proper technique and fingerings for piano stuff a lot of the time too, imo.

Now Eupho though, all the valve presses, timings, and breathing were 99% synced up with the audio, but across the entire ensemble. So while the individual may have been easier to animate, the fact that in the larger band scenes (at least 5+ people in a shot) each player was still accurately animated with breathing, technique, fingerings, posture, lighting, reflections off instruments, and body movement too, not to mention all of their actual parts were 100% spot on for fingerings and stuff with the audio for each individual. In the larger group shots, that stuff coming across as perfectly as it did was nothing short of a miracle and must've been a monumental task to pull off. Just thinking of the logistics of such scenes that they nailed so well has me wondering how the hell anyone was even capable of such an impressive feat.

My jaw dropped when they showed the girl changing bass drum technique hand positions, and dampers in the middle of a piece when she switched from a hit to rolls,

Holy shit, it's gone? Guess the megadeal they did sealed it.
Not sure where else to get it because of their deal with RS.
Last but not least, big thanks to Mike Hattsu for being awesome. I paid for everything and he totally delivered. The keyframe sets are so damn beautiful and the amount of detail in a lot of these is astonishing.

Cornbread78

I like it a lot too!
If you're wondering what's in the bottle, it's sesame oil, lol

LOL, hilarious! I understand the complaints about Etotama being way too frantic, but if you just sit back, relax and chill watching it is just a fun show. Env through some terrible humor, the show made you smile because of how out there it was. Just plain fun, and it is a shame it sold next to nothing and wasn't highly regarded.

Wait, have you seen Kids on a Slope yet?

Comet Lucifer Episode 6
Okay, this...THIS right here, and the "issues" causing this...

I don't care about at all.

Maybe I'm wrong there, but the love triangle they're pushing here is forced as all hell...

However...this guy
download_1.png

is great with his Gurren Lagann mech.

Yeah, the love triangle thing did feel kind of awkward, but the has gotten sooo good the past couple week with it's mix of action, adventure and SoL bits that really fit. This has to be a 2pcour show though as they have barely gotten to the main plotline of who Felia really is and what her purpose is...

Battlechili

Banned
Mawaru Penguindrum - 01-09

This is really good so far. For how much crap I gave Ikuhara for his flashbacks in Yuri Kuma, this episode 9 sure shows how to do it right.

I like the pacing so far and how there's no fluff episodes inbetween, which, while amusing sometimes, annoyed me a bit about Utena.

The characters are getting more interesting by the minute, the visuals are great and I sure love Ringo's reaction faces. Not quite sure what to make out of all the symbolism yet, but I'll see. What matters is that I'm actually invested in the story and thus inevitably care about the show's themes, whereas Yuri Kuma gave me no reason to care about its convoluted attempts at being deep.

phaze

Mawaru Penguindrum - 01-09

This is really good so far. For how much crap I gave Ikuhara for his flashbacks in Yuri Kuma, this episode 9 sure shows how to do it right.

I like the pacing so far and how there's no fluff episodes inbetween, which, while amusing sometimes, annoyed me a bit about Utena.

The characters are getting more interesting by the minute, the visuals are great and I sure love Ringo's reaction faces. Not quite sure what to make out of all the symbolism yet, but I'll see. What matters is that I'm actually invested in the story and thus inevitably care about the show's themes, whereas Yuri Kuma gave me no reason to care about its convoluted attempts at being deep.

Great pick ! Hope you (continue to) enjoy it.

Oh yeah, the pleasure of watching Penguindrum
until like episoe 12.

People didn't like the second half ?

-----
-----

Also Bones got FMP apparently. Eureka director on it.

Cornbread78

Just in case any of you are actually interested in this anime...

The January 2016 issue of Manga Time Family magazine revealed that the previously announced Ooyasan wa Shishunki! comedy anime will air on TV from January 2016. An official website has opened with a key visual of the series.

Cast
Chie Satonaka: Yurika Kubo (Kotoura-san)

Staff
Director: Yuuki Ogawa (Okusama ga Seitokaichou!)
Character Design, Chief Animation Director: Atsuki Shimizu (Tokyo Ghoul)
Music: Arte Refact (Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!)
Studio: Seven Arcs Pictures

Official site: http://www.ooyasan-anime.com/

Source: Official Twitter

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1451880

76226.jpg

Why is it always a "loli" girl....

So when does Araki break with the MotW format.

Hey, some of the fights last a lot longer then a week!

He essentially perfects MotW in Part 4 and beyond anyway.

Soma season 2 is also likely :)

Yeah, maybe. Would fit the time frame

plz MHA isn't even close to hitting above anything but Part 1 yet

But but Yuki Kaji is Johnny Joestar! Watano Hotaru was fine as Josuke in ASB.

It will take like 6 years to get to SBR, I think he can be both.

the more important question is when will he stop taking inspiration from Isayama and stop killing characters

Read Part 6

Probably the biggest strength of JoJo is that it runs in parts, each one is almost an entirely self contained story, plot details hardly carry over from one to the other and only certain characters like Jotaro and Joseph appear outside of their own parts and it's something I can't believe I've never seen copied since Araki has been doing that for 30 years. It's how the series has stayed so fresh over the years. Characters dying is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom