• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mawaru Penguindrum - 15

Damn strong episode. It's kind of insidious how seamless this show transitions into rather morbid stuff. Plenty times I've been thinking to myself "wait, this actually went pretty serious and dark just now".

Though, not particularly this episode. This one was almost all throughout rather heavy stuff, even though it had a very heartfelt sequence playing at the end and ED.

But yeh it's always interesting for me when a show manages manages to juggle different tones so well. KareKano being another example.

Concerning this episode, I'm just really liking how more and more layers of the characters are revealed and the plot feels quite well thought through at this point. Biggest surprise yet, Yuri is involved in some Yuri stuff! She got one heck of a backstory. I'm not entirely sure what the father did with her as all that sculpting might just be symbolic and there's certainly some pedo vibes coming off from he guy, too. Either way, it's apparent she went through hell with that insane piece of shit :/

I'm quite curious about Tabuki. So far he's just been represented as this goodhearted guy on a surface level. I'm sure there's more backstory waiting for him, especially when his scarred finger bits were made apparent lately. Wonder what that's all about.

I really want to see the Haikyuu!! stage, the images for it and the characters look great.
CT1Sz0TUEAAyOar.jpg:large
CT1Sx3IVAAANhjf.jpg:large

Line_HTX

We live in a cruel world where bad things happen.

People like bad characters and bad storytelling, hiding behind the biggest budget fights and animation between the heroes. The fights themselves are not enough to overcome the problems overall.

DEEN Fate route and ufotable UBW are average at best.

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra 1

I wasn't aware that Cobra shared its premise with Total Recall. The first episode has drawn me in with its classy style and Cobra's boisterous personality. It's a shame Crunchyroll didn't put much work into it, hardsubs are not ok.

It really reminded me more of the PKD short story that Total Recall was based on. Also I bet the hardsubs are likely some sort of licensor restriction.

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 4
There's nothing quite as exciting as a prison break, especially one that involves attractive cyborg executioners and a high speed escape on an aircraft. And what can't Cobra's cigar do? It's both a torch and an underwater breathing device! Amazing!
It really reminded me more of the PKD short story that Total Recall was based on. Also I bet the hardsubs are likely some sort of licensor restriction.

I haven't read the book myself, so I just went with what's familiar.

ibyea

Banned
Kyousogiga: 3-4
Another excellent set of episodes, silly adventure with PSP parody in second half of episode 3 aside.
The three kids growing up to be bitter, tired adults, constantly in some halfway state of grief, unable to move on from the past, because their parents were supposed to return,
it's really sad.

Jesus, Yuno from Mirai Nikki is unequivocally best girl. Through some strange chance of fate, out of the hundreds of anime I've watched I've never encountered Yandere. I think I'm leaving my fiance.

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 6
Who knew churches would be so intimidating in the future? Damn that vile Tavage,
how could he get rid of Catherine so soon? She and Cobra had such a great relationship...
At least we were introduced to Duk.

That's probably enough Cobra for today, y'all need to get some backlog shows since this thread was barren of anime today. I remember a few years ago, the thread was usually packed with anime posts even on bad airing days. Burning through multiple OTs a season was so fun.

Narag

That's probably enough Cobra for today, y'all need to get some backlog shows since this thread was barren of anime today. I remember a few years ago, the thread was usually packed with anime posts even on bad airing days. Burning through multiple OTs a season was so fun.

I've been so busy lately!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know why I would drop Haikyuu
Because it sounds like an impediment to you watching better shows. Haikyuu is fine, but it's one of those shows that garners way more praise than it's worth. There is essentially little to no material that stretches beyond the sport itself, and so many of the characters are solely focused on it that everything just becomes kind of flat, particularly as the show devolves into long stretches of drab gym interiors. S2 is a little better out of the gate because Yachi is able to disrupt this pattern and introduce real life elements to the show but it doesn't wind up lasting very long before the series lapses back into its old formula.

Kids on the Slope just isn't a show that is worth revisiting to begin with...

I don't know why I would drop Haikyuu and I'm only 2 episodes into Kids on the Slope and I'm enjoying it, apparently it shits the bed later, if so I probably still won't drop it

If Utena is the comparison, then yeah they suffer, but Haikyuu is great and Kids on the Slope is still a decent show worth watching.

Wanted to watch something I hadn't before, so I decided to start Hyouka. Four episodes in and I'm enjoying it. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for KyoAni shows so I can't say I'm surprised. I just love their animation and the atmosphere in stuff like this and Sound Euphonium. Story is interesting enough so far and I think the mystery stuff is really cool presentation-wise. I'm sure the characters will grow on me the more I watch as well.

Also marathoned through Umaru-chan since a friend recommended it to me. Fun little show!

Haikyuu is a sports anime. I'm not sure why it wouldn't focus on the sport. Although I guess no one has tried K-On with cute boys yet... Haikyuu is solid though. The relationship between Kageyama and Hinata is one of the best in any sports anime - it's so strong I'd argue that alone makes it strong enough to be a contender for one of the best sports anime. The animation is amazing with an absurd amount of detail put into the hands in particular as the most important aspect of volleyball is the usage of the hands, and the flow of each episode manages to build an even greater amount of anticipation with each game, leading to the climax games at the end of each season. It pretty obviously travels along an interest curve (standard fare for just about every anime in general, but more obvious in sports anime and Haikyuu in particular) , but that's not a bad thing at all.

Kids on the Slope is hardly a good anime though. It's not even okay. I wouldn't give Kids on the Slope a review of anything less than pretty damn great. The show has rough spots - mainly in the angsty and repetive narrative between the protagonists and the lack of any realistic explanation of why these two people would stay friends - but the show is exceptional in its portrayal of 1960s Japan and the beauty of jazz. Very few shows have had such spectacular performances; Kaouru and Sentaro express their entire being through them in a way that represents the utmost peak of Watanabe's work (I would argue to the death that the musical performances in Kids on the Slope are easily the best scenes he has ever directed - Cowboy Bebop be damned). His ability to direct fluid and fervent motion combined with his appreciation for music and Kano's excellent - and award-winning - score creates a sense of earthy, gritty emotion I've never seen in another music anime. Saying it's not worth watching is tacit admission of poor taste. Go stand in the corner and think about your sins. :l

Edit: You made me pause Mirai mid-episode and my other half got home from work. Now I have to cook. I'll never forgive you.

Edit 2: My ideal ending for Mirai is Yuno killing Yuki to become God so she can have him forever. Only real ending, honestly. With my luck though, it'll end like the Akame ga Kill anime where I got it half right, but it was fundamentally flawed for me.

Edit 3: Yuno dying and Yuki nutting up and becoming God to bring her back would be sweet too. That's never going to happen though.

Jaxec

The Eccentric Family 1-13

Really enjoyed this series. I had trouble getting through the first episode, but from then on it was a joy to watch. I liked the characters very much, especially the main family. The backgrounds were really beautiful and added to my enjoyment of the series. If I were to nitpick one thing it would be the I was really disappointed with Benten. Throughout the series she was this mysterious person who I was looking forward to learn more about, but by the end of the series she isn't explored upon. Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why she acted they way she acted. Also although the ending was fun to watch, I felt liked it was rushed and that it suffered from that.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the show with the eight episode being my favorite.

Really enjoyed this series. I had trouble getting through the first episode, but from then on it was a joy to watch. I liked the characters very much, especially the main family. The backgrounds were really beautiful and added to my enjoyment of the series. If I were to nitpick one thing it would be the I was really disappointed with Benten. Throughout the series she was this mysterious person who I was looking forward to learn more about, but by the end of the series she isn't explored upon. Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why she acted they way she acted. Also although the ending was fun to watch, I felt liked it was rushed and that it suffered from that.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the show with the eight episode being my favorite.

I had trouble getting through like, the first four episodes. I'm glad I stuck with it because it ended up being a pretty great series.

Erigu

[...]
If I were to nitpick one thing it would be the I was really disappointed with Benten. Throughout the series she was this mysterious person who I was looking forward to learn more about, but by the end of the series she isn't explored upon.
The series is an adaptation of a novel that recently got a sequel (and a third one is planned, I believe), so maybe we'll learn more about her...

zulux21

Hope you like the show. Unfortunately, they isn't an official ending for this series and won't be now. Just go through the show and hope you like the ride as it will get very interesting and emotional alone the way.

there is still slight hope for nana to finish someday.
it's not like the author has ever gone on record saying she won't finish it >.>
#keepinthedreamalive

seriously I wish she would just out right say that she will never finish nana rather than slowly continue to tease that one day she might feel well enough to finish it.

Yakitate!! Japan 1 - Kid ought to have a talk to Rick about baking.

ah the show that coined the term foodgasms :p

Jaxec

The series is an adaptation of a novel that recently got a sequel (and a third one is planned, I believe), so maybe we'll learn more about her...

Oh that's cool. Thank you.

Edit: Has anyone here watched Honey and Clover? Would you recommend it?

zulux21

Oh that's cool. Thank you.

Edit: Has anyone here watched Honey and Clover? Would you recommend it?

honey and clover is a great show.
it's a bit slow to get going but it's nicely a college setting instead of highschool.
slice of life focus on characters over a period of time just enjoyable all around.

and one of the most memorable openings out there :p

if you are looking for a fast paced show or action or stuff like that look elsewhere though. it's all about the characters with some comedy and tragedy here and there.

Battlechili

Banned

The Eccentric Family is genuinely one of my favorite shows, and it makes me sad that its so unknown and was overlooked in favor of other shows the season that it aired. I loved the strong focus on family and characters. The music was great too.

As for Benten, I think she just acted on her own accord and didn't really have any particular allegiances. She does did as she felt, and while she wasn't particularly strongly interested in eating any of the Tanuki, she was a part of the club that made the Hot Pot each year and so actively participated since she enjoyed it. I suspect the reason things turned out the way they did is because she came to like the main character and his family due to his interesting personality. If it weren't for him, someone
might've gotten eaten.

Jaxec

honey and clover is a great show.
it's a bit slow to get going but it's nicely a college setting instead of highschool.
slice of life focus on characters over a period of time just enjoyable all around.

and one of the most memorable openings out there :p

if you are looking for a fast paced show or action or stuff like that look elsewhere though. it's all about the characters with some comedy and tragedy here and there.

Thanks for the reply. I'm enjoy a good slow paced, character driven story so I should be good.

The Eccentric Family is genuinely one of my favorite shows, and it makes me sad that its so unknown and was overlooked in favor of other shows the season that it aired. I loved the strong focus on family and characters. The music was great too.

As for Benten, I think she just acted on her own accord and didn't really have any particular allegiances. She does did as she felt, and while she wasn't particularly strongly interested in eating any of the Tanuki, she was a part of the club that made the Hot Pot each year and so actively participated since she enjoyed it. I suspect the reason things turned out the way they did is because she came to like the main character and his family due to his interesting personality. If it weren't for him, someone
might've gotten eaten.

Thanks for elaborating. It really is a shame that it isn't more well known, it's so good.

Quasar

It seemed pretty well loved to me, but maybe that says more about the people I know who watch anime. I seem to recall it being #2 or #3 in the Neogaf vote that year too.

Space Adventure Cobra Episode 2
download.png

Lol, wut?

The villain goes to those lengths to make Cobra's psycho-gun, and doesn't actually use it in the fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom