• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Blue_Seed_2.jpg

Not going to say much really as this is a very short OVA but in short this OVA is average at best or very bad at worst. It have some potential to be interesting based on what it's trying to do but because this is a 3 episodes OVA and only two follow the main story (which we get back to this later), all we got is a very rush story line which feel wasted and make you wonder why make a sequel of this show.

The main story I can gather in the two episodes is two year have past since the incident from the TV show. A new creature was produce in the US which didn't use the same power that was produce in the original show. The original team, Terrestrial Administration Center, who stop the problem are back together to try to stop the new monster with the help of a new side character name Valencia. That's the main idea of what happened in the two episode which isn't very special to start. Unfortunately, this won't get any better from here. They do try to explain a bit of the new monster that was produce in San Francisco but it's very brief and only inform us based on discussion during characters in the show. This does explain a bit of how the monster was produce or how it get to US but it didn't go into detail of other questions which never explain in the OVA. This is sad the final episode for the OVA is literally a filler which some fan service spice on it. If the final episode was use to explain some more of how the new monster was create and the reason for it (while at the same time try to have some sort of character development) this OVA might be okay and this go to my 2nd issue with this OVA which is the character development.

The character development is really nonexistent to tell the truth. The development between Momiji and Kusanagi is literally zero. It look like they was some development during the two year spans from the TV show and this OVA but this drop like a rock when you're watching the OVA as it look like it goes back to same issue from the TV show (Kusanagi do love Momiji but don't want to hurt her, Momiji want to express her true feeling but can't because of Kusanagi rejection, rinse and repeat). It literally tell the audience that nothing have happened between them which is suck and nothing much happened during the OVA until near the end when both come back together once more. As for the rest of the side characters, they're back and look like two of the character did have a relationship but break up. Even so, those character development is also limited to the bare minimum.

The only thing new is the new main character Valencia. She is literally the same as Kusanagi which have the power to change into full aragami. Unfortunately, with two OVA episode, she have very limited character development which is sad as she have some potential to be interesting if this OVA have more episode in it. All we have some a very general basic idea of what she is and how she got her power (which you find out near the end) and also become a generic triangle love at Kusanagi between Momiji (which isn't really a triangle love but a misinform idea from Momiji ).

Even with this, they is a small positive. The animation is a but better than the TV show mostly because this is an OVA. The character animation look better. Unfortunately, this is the only good thing to say in the animation. The rest is okay to meh for the most part and they isn't much detail animation to look at in the OVA.

For the music, it's okay and work but very forgettable to tell the truth. The voice character sound like they're back for this and match like the TV show which is okay I say.

Overall, this sequel of Blue Seed have quite a few issue and it all come down to how short this OVA started. If they use the one filler episode to go in depth of the story and character development, then you might have an average to okay sequel. What we got is a rush story with little development of the character to the point you don't really care what happened. The action scene is okay but not too interesting to watch. I would avoid watching this OVA as they isn't really any value to watch this unless you're a fans of the show (which won't make sense to watch as you're not really missing much from the start if you don't watch it) or you don't mind the fan service that was shown here. Avoid it or only watch this if you have too much free time in your life and need something to feel like you're wasting time watching.

John Blade

Is Fate really worth the watch? Have no clue about this show except I know it's from a game. Also, heard good and bad impression about the series so, I don't think I would jump in if it's that bad. Right now, I am a bit interested in Kids on the Slope based on the trailer. Might be one to put on the list of stuff to get.

pbayne

Nana 3-16

Im pretty hooked on this show.

Brutal how realistic and shitty Nana and Shoji's breakup is. Even little things like awkwardly seeing your ex in a supermarket or friends taking different sides. But fuck Shoji, what a scumbag. The band is so much fun especially Shin
male prostitute at 15, wtf
. Im pulling for Yasu and Nana to be together in the end but I can't see it happening.

Praise Madhouse, im constantly amazed at how consistently good the show looks. Especially the music scenes, they're not DMC levels of brilliance but their are very nicely stylized.

John Blade

Nana 3-16

Im pretty hooked on this show.

Brutal how realistic and shitty Nana and Shoji's breakup is. Even little things like awkwardly seeing your ex in a supermarket or friends taking different sides. But fuck Shoji, what a scumbag. The band is so much fun especially Shin
male prostitute at 15, wtf
. Im pulling for Yasu and Nana to be together in the end but I can't see it happening.

Praise Madhouse, im constantly amazed at how consistently good the show looks. Especially the music scenes, they're DMC levels of brilliance but their are very nicely stylized.

Hope you like the show. Unfortunately, they isn't an official ending for this series and won't be now. Just go through the show and hope you like the ride as it will get very interesting and emotional alone the way.

Ascheroth

Is Fate really worth the watch? Have no clue about this show except I know it's from a game. Also, heard good and bad impression about the series so, I don't think I would jump in if it's that bad. Right now, I am a bit interested in Kids on the Slope based on the trailer. Might be one to put on the list of stuff to get.

You can safely forget about the original Fate/Stay Night series.
Just watch Fate/Zero and after that try and see if you like Unlimited Blade Works (Zero is a prequel to UBW, but both are pretty different in tone).

pbayne

Hope you like the show. Unfortunately, they isn't an official ending for this series and won't be now. Just go through the show and hope you like the ride as it will get very interesting and emotional alone the way.

Yeah the show captures little things quite well. Like working a crappy job, the pressure of living on your own, financial worries etc yet it still remains fun for the most part.

Just checked and I didn't know the manga was never finished either. Ack as long as the end of the show is half as good as its been till now I'll be satisfied.

phaze

It became quite a mess in the second half. Doesn't help
that a bunch of plotlines of the first half were suddenly forgotten

All style and no substance.

Any examples ? I've watched it recently and can't think of anything major ? Some things were left more vague and rushed than I'd hope but nothing more springs to mind.

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 1
I wasn't aware that Cobra shared its premise with Total Recall. The first episode has drawn me in with its classy style and Cobra's boisterous personality. It's a shame Crunchyroll didn't put much work into it, hardsubs are not ok.

Crocodile

Probably the biggest strength of JoJo is that it runs in parts, each one is almost an entirely self contained story, plot details hardly carry over from one to the other and only certain characters like Jotaro and Joseph appear outside of their own parts and it's something I can't believe I've never seen copied since Araki has been doing that for 30 years. It's how the series has stayed so fresh over the years. Characters dying is fine.

Seriously, I'm shocked too. SO MANY long running titles could have been improved if they took this approach its not even funny (glares at Nartuo and Bleach).

Cornbread78

Hyouka ep.4-6
Interesting conclusion to that first big mystery of her uncle. I actually thought that mystery was going to be the focus of the show for awhile, but it moved right back into minor mystery of the day mode. I like the characters personalities so far, but yell me this, does the show get more intense/serious at some point, or does it keep this light-hearted mystery of the day format for al 22 episodes?

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 2
Cobra is way too cool, no wonder all the ladies love him. He manages to be both incredibly charming and a total goofball at the same time.

Space Adventure Cobra 3
Crystal Boy seems like he means business and the Turtle is much more awesome than it sounds. A transforming, modular ship is such a cool idea.

Generate

Banned
Hyouka ep.4-6
Interesting conclusion to that first big mystery of her uncle. I actually thought that mystery was going to be the focus of the show for awhile, but it moved right back into minor mystery of the day mode. I like the characters personalities so far, but yell me this, does the show get more intense/serious at some point, or does it keep this light-hearted mystery of the day format for al 22 episodes?

It never gets serious. I would have preferred it to be more about the Uncle and history of the club myself.

Hyouka ep.4-6

I was hoping/expecting some grand mystery or conspiracy that was to tie everything together, but nope just "mystery of the day." Its obviously got that special KyoAni charm, but I found it ultimately kind of disappointing.

All we need is The Ancient Magus Bride anime adaptation then we'll get our true AOTY if it's adapted competently.

I love Jojo but The Ancient Magus Bride is just a goddamn solid series.

I will never stop hoping, especially in light of the recent Accel World announcement.

Part of me wants it just for more of the OST and the image songs...cause its still one of my most listened to osts, both Horizon 1 and 2, such great variety.

And for plot because it felt like there was so much untapped potential in the whole world, 2 took things to such a high level even.

Cornbread78

I dont want the black bullet 2 anime as the LN is good on its own. Replace black bullet 2 with Horizon s3 though and Id be happy.

Which Horizon? Log Horizon or Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere? Both need S3...

It never gets serious. I would have preferred it to be more about the Uncle and history of the club myself.

I was hoping/expecting some grand mystery or conspiracy that was to tie everything together, but nope just "mystery of the day." Its obviously got that special KyoAni charm, but I found it ultimately kind of disappointing.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. I can see myself getting bored along the way.

I will never stop hoping, especially in light of the recent Accel World announcement.

Which Accel World announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom