• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Kancolle 12 FIN
GOzm9a7l.png
Show ended well enough with the cast coming together at the end. I'd like to say it was bad but honestly the good and bad evened one another out to make something really sorta average. I think the weak middle really sort of hurt it over all but hey, there's probably a very narrow target audience all told and I wasn't one of them seeing as this was my first experience with the property and to be fair, there's worse "military moe" style shows to waste one's time on.

jgminto

Kancolle 12 FIN

Show ended well enough with the cast coming together at the end. I'd like to say it was bad but honestly the good and bad evened one another out to make something really sorta average. I think the weak middle really sort of hurt it over all but hey, there's probably a very narrow target audience all told and I wasn't one of them seeing as this was my first experience with the property and to be fair, there's worse "military moe" style shows to waste one's time on.

You try and rationalise your decision to watch but think of all the good things you could have watched instead!

Digimon Adventure Tri looks better visually than any of the original Adventure that I've seen, aside from Hosoda's incredible episode of course. That's the main reason I want to watch it; that Digimon action animation is too good to be ignored.

wonzo

Banned
Kancolle 12 FIN

time to jampu

Digimon Adventure Tri looks better visually than any of the original Adventure that I've seen, aside from Hosoda's incredible episode of course. That's the main reason I want to watch it; that Digimon action animation is too good to be ignored.

The original series wasn't a particularly well animated series, but it had some really amazing backgrounds.

Tri will probably have better animation than the original series had (the virtues of being an OVA compared to a 54 episode weekly show), but it doesn't seem to have the same level of care put into the backgrounds.

But I have little doubt that it will probably be a visually more complete series than Adventure was, even if it sounds much worse and is lacking in the writing department.

Jarmel

Banned
The original series wasn't a particularly well animated series, but it had some really amazing backgrounds.

Tri will probably have better animation than the original series had (the virtues of being an OVA compared to a 54 episode weekly show), but it doesn't seem to have the same level of care put into the backgrounds.

But I have little doubt that it will probably be a visually more complete series than Adventure was, even if it sounds much worse and is lacking in the writing department.

Unless it's Pablo pretty much nobody gives a shit about backgrounds nowadays.

Line_HTX

Kancolle 12 FIN

I also am not one of those target audiences, and I agree that this is sort of one of the better military moe ones, though not that much better. They said they're going to have some continuation, but I don't know if they confirmed that or not.

I would like to see the German ships in anime form though. And more Nagato and Kongou are always better.

Articalys

Are Adventure + 02 streaming subbed anywhere? A quick bit of research shows they were on Netflix for a while up until earlier this year, when they got pulled for some reason. Does anybody know why? Is it because the dubbed versions started streaming via Cinedigm on Crunchyroll/Hulu about the same time the subbed Netflix ones vanished?

That's certainly not true.

Ping Pong
Mushishi
Ghibli films
Hosoda films
Giovanni's Island
Miss Hokusai
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Ronja the Robber's Daughter
Space Dandy
Yama no Susume
Yoyo and Nene
Lupin III: Jigen's Gravestone
Tamako Love Story
Sound Euphonium
Non Non Biyori
Osomatsu-san (Pablo assists but is not the main art studio)
Doukyuusei
Milky Holmes movie
Kumamiko
etc.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to list Hai to Gensou no Grimgar! Everyone should look up the backgrounds for that upcoming show; they look good enough to frame and put on my wall.

Are Adventure + 02 streaming subbed anywhere? A quick bit of research shows they were on Netflix for a while up until earlier this year, when they got pulled for some reason. Does anybody know why? Is it because the dubbed versions started streaming via Cinedigm on Crunchyroll/Hulu about the same time the subbed Netflix ones vanished?

I don't believe they're available legally anywhere since their removal from Netflix at the end of July.

Narag

I also am not one of those target audiences, and I agree that this is sort of one of the better military moe ones, though not that much better. They said they're going to have some continuation, but I don't know if they confirmed that or not.

I would like to see the German ships in anime form though. And more Nagato and Kongou are always better.
There's a movie next year iirc.

Articalys

I don't believe they're available legally anywhere since their removal from Netflix at the end of July.
Damn, should have watched them when I had the chance... I'd like to say 'maybe high streaming numbers for tri will get them back somehow', but with Cinedigm's involvement it's probably a much more complicated rights issue than that.

TheRancor

That's certainly not true.

Ping Pong
Mushishi
Ghibli films
Hosoda films
Giovanni's Island
Miss Hokusai
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Ronja the Robber's Daughter
Space Dandy
Yama no Susume
Yoyo and Nene
Lupin III: Jigen's Gravestone
Tamako Love Story
Sound Euphonium
Non Non Biyori
Osomatsu-san (Pablo assists but is not the main art studio)
Doukyuusei
Milky Holmes movie
Kumamiko
etc.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to list Hai to Gensou no Grimgar! Everyone should look up the backgrounds for that upcoming show; they look good enough to frame and put on my wall.
Good examples.

McNagah

Recently I've been marathoning all of Watanabe anime again. So far I'm in the middle of the second season of Space Dandy and it's very creative. I love that all the episodes are completely different from each other.

If I had to rank them, it'd be something like this: Cowboy Bebop > Space Dandy > Samurai Champloo.

Is Sakamichi Apollo and Zankyou no Terror worth checking out? I remember watching the second one while it was airing and I was kind of unimpressed with it. Does it pick up after the character with the white hair is introduced?

McNagah

Haha.

No. In fact she makes everything much worse.

A few of us are groupwatching Kids on the Slope if you want to watch that.

Yer kidding. (All I remember from the show.) I guess it'll be the only only Watanabe anime to be cursed on his resume.

A groupwatch? That'd be fun! Are you guys watching it in some sort of streaming service, or are you guys posting your impressions after watching it here?

Yer kidding. (All I remember from the show.) I guess it'll be the only only Watanabe anime to be cursed on his resume.

A groupwatch? That'd be fun! Are you guys watching it in some sort of streaming service, or are you guys posting your impressions after watching it here?

It's on Crunchyroll. We just watch an episode a day and discuss it in another thread, since when you backlog shows discussion hardly ever happens.

Here is the thread, 3 episodes in

ibyea

Banned
Kyousogiga: 7
In which
their mom returns and Koto realizes how unfair everyone has been to her, and the world through the Looking Glass is about to pay a heavy price due to to that.
. The show is as bittersweet as ever.

And it leaves me with a cliffhanger. Goddamn you college!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider 07
TkISco4.jpg

should've went full lum
Really slick episode. A lot of the detective work still just kind of registers as nothing, but I'm a pretty big fan of how the mystery is providing insight into the lives of the two main characters. At the same time episodes like this sort of highlight how this story is inhabiting a medium it was never really designed for. Information is picked up without being pieced together, so it sort of feels like a scene is missing that'd push things forward a little more.

Crocodile

Reasons why I liked Digimon Adventure:

Takanori Arisawa's music. He's dead now, and the music will be completely different.

The original voice cast. They made the characters who they were, and now they've all been replaced by gravure idols and tokusatsu actors to pander to the otaku market.

The writing. Satoru Nishizono is not working on Tri, and the writer for Tri has a pretty mixed track record.

The backgrounds. Maybe the new show will have good backgrounds? I don't know. The original was great.

The villains. No clue if the villains will hold up in this, but I don't have much faith in the staff at all.

So what is there to look forward to?

A crap story completely changing everything that was good about the original? Some new voice actors pretending to be someone they aren't?

This is not being made for me, so I won't watch.

Like, I get that I seem crazy and annoying. But you need to understand. Digimon is pretty much my favorite thing of all time. I have a huge emotional connection to it, and to the voice actors. I've been hearing their voices for over 15 years. I think Ai Maeda (Mimi) might be the first actor whose name I ever knew. These are the voices of my childhood, and I have an emotional connection to them. Yes, I get that it's silly, but for me, them replacing the voice actors is simply not something I can ever "get over".

The real reason I've been so worked up about this, and consider Tri my most hated anime of all time, is the lying and deceitful campaign they ran, spending eight months dicking us around with promises of a series that would play into our childhood nostalgia, only to reveal that it wasn't being made for fans of the original at all. They even released a brand new CD drama featuring the original cast as part of this, which is just fucking criminal. They specifically lead fans on to believe that their favorite voice actors were coming back, only to reveal that they had been knifed in the back in favor of some new names to sell more creepy otaku on the show.

The issue isn't so much disappointment. You're allowed to be apprehensive about an upcoming project or skeptical about the staff or frustrated with changes that aren't to your liking. I also get that Digimon is your favorite show of which you have strong childhood memories. What you have to realize, not just say and brush off but actually internalize, is that your reaction is completely out of step with what is actually happening. When you say stuff like "Tri is my most hated anime of all time" without having even seen a minute of the finished product yet, you just sound straight up stupid. And I know you aren't dumb given your posts on GAF. So stop saying stupid stuff smart guy.

This OVA series is being made 15 years after the original shows. The industry will/has changed and so will the people in it. Expecting a copy & paste of the staff list across 15 years is unrealistic.The original musician is unfortunately dead - he has to be replaced as a default but there is no reason to assume the series will have poor music as a result other than some "change is bad m'kay" mentality. Is the original writer even still in the industry? Were they even available? Did they even want to come back? I don't know the answers to these questions, do you? Even so how about we give the new staff a chance? Tri won't be the first time in animation history that the writing staff has changed between stages of a project. Sometimes its for the better, sometimes its for the worst but you sure as hell don't know right now. You know nothing about the story or the potential villain so I don't even know why bother worrying about it at this point in time? "But it could suck!" - cool you just described literally anything and everything that you haven't watched yet, its not a particularly helpful vantage point.

Concerning the VAs, I get that VAs can have iconic performances and iconic characters they are attached to. I can understand that it can be disappointing when VAs change be it due to availability, business deals, union issues, etc. However, it is something that just happens from time to time for VAs of any language. Even as a potential strike against the OVAs, it shouldn't be a deal breaker as long as the new VAs are still talented in their own right and can put in good work. Being this obsessed about VAs (beyond disappointment to the point of "show ruining") doesn't make you any better than the otakus you claim are being pandered to with regards to the current VA choices.

Again, I can't tell you if this OVA series will be good or not at this point. But you clearly aren't even giving it an honest chance and that's just not fair.

Jex

Well, lets face it, Pablo are literally killing it.

I do agree that other shows have decent or even great backgrounds, I just don't happen to know the names of those art studios.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kind of funny to see Hidamari Sketch get a UK release when I finally finished it after three years of starting it… hold on…

sAcstmr.gif
BGBW Alert
sAcstmr.gif

Kill Me Baby: Collection [MVM]
Release Date: March 14th 2016
Run Time:
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Amazon.co.uk: £32.87
DVD @ Amazon.co.uk: £28.46
fdWhyNP.png

Recently however, I find myself relating more and more to Stunfisk.
250px-618Stunfisk.png

I feel a short of kinship with them.

It's weird, I know.
Someone else who has seen the light that is the greatness of Stunfisk!

phaze

Would anyone recommend Kemonozume?

It's good. It's also weird. Might actually have the biggest tonal shifts I've seen in anime. From skull crushing depressing stuff to some bizzaro oddball humor. The latter kinda soured me on the finale which additionaly, I don't think comes together as well as it should but it's a good show nonetheless.

And that action animation and choreography:
7046yczexsxk.gif

Thoraxes

US
Sentai Filmworks / Maiden Japan March 2016

UK
MVM Listings:

Anime Limited:

Wizard Barristers BDs fucking finally.

God damn man. God damn. I'll have to ask them on twitter to make sure they have the correct masters. It's really important for that show.
Also, does anyone even remember Wizard Barristers? It was a pretty bad show...

....but it did have that one train fight that was pretty awesome.

I think it was mostly me and duckroll who talked about it the most in IRC lol
I really liked the whole series TBH, especially because I enjoy Umetsu doing the things he does, but the BDs were a whole other level of awesome with regards to the tons of changes/edits.

And speaking of Umetsu, he sure did a a fucking awesome job making the Koufuku Graffiti OP memorable for me. Couple that with the Rasmus x Maaya music combo, and you have yourself a lovely work of art. It's probably my fav. OP this year from an overall sound+direction+visual standpoint this year. It really highlights the joy that the show contains.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ouch, what happened to that one?

The main lass became skilled, knowledgable, independent and competent. People couldn't handle it. "Why is she now better than my favourite character a boo hoo hoo?" people moaned. "why isn't she a kawaii and fragile little flower anymore a boo hoo hoo?" people lamented. It was a sad sight to see.

The issue isn't so much disappointment. You're allowed to be apprehensive about an upcoming project or skeptical about the staff or frustrated with changes that aren't to your liking. I also get that Digimon is your favorite show of which you have strong childhood memories. What you have to realize, not just say and brush off but actually internalize, is that your reaction is completely out of step with what is actually happening. When you say stuff like "Tri is my most hated anime of all time" without having even seen a minute of the finished product yet, you just sound straight up stupid. And I know you aren't dumb given your posts on GAF. So stop saying stupid stuff smart guy.

This OVA series is being made 15 years after the original shows. The industry will/has changed and so will the people in it. Expecting a copy & paste of the staff list across 15 years is unrealistic.The original musician is unfortunately dead - he has to be replaced as a default but there is no reason to assume the series will have poor music as a result other than some "change is bad m'kay" mentality. Is the original writer even still in the industry? Were they even available? Did they even want to come back? I don't know the answers to these questions, do you? Even so how about we give the new staff a chance? Tri won't be the first time in animation history that the writing staff has changed between stages of a project. Sometimes its for the better, sometimes its for the worst but you sure as hell don't know right now. You know nothing about the story or the potential villain so I don't even know why bother worrying about it at this point in time? "But it could suck!" - cool you just described literally anything and everything that you haven't watched yet, its not a particularly helpful vantage point.

Concerning the VAs, I get that VAs can have iconic performances and iconic characters they are attached to. I can understand that it can be disappointing when VAs change be it due to availability, business deals, union issues, etc. However, it is something that just happens from time to time for VAs of any language. Even as a potential strike against the OVAs, it shouldn't be a deal breaker as long as the new VAs are still talented in their own right and can put in good work. Being this obsessed about VAs (beyond disappointment to the point of "show ruining") doesn't make you any better than the otakus you claim are being pandered to with regards to the current VA choices.

Again, I can't tell you if this OVA series will be good or not at this point. But you clearly aren't even giving it an honest chance and that's just not fair.

First of all, yes, I understand this.

I know that I sound like a bit of a loon with these posts. I wish I could help it, but it's been hard to hold all this in. I'm going to try to just avoid commenting on the subject in the future as best I can, since I'm sure everyone is beyond annoyed with hearing about this by now.

As far as the voice acting thing goes, part of the main issue is that the voice actors (with one exception), not only are all still in the industry, but have even reprised their roles recently. Just two months before the tri cast was announced they put out a brand new audio drama with the original cast. That was a deceitful thing clearly made to lead us on thinking the cast would be the same. And that's what really upset me.

tri was announced with a special event last summer where Ai Maeda came out, dressed as Mimi, and started singing. They spent months leading folks on with stuff playing into nostalgia for the original series, released a brand new thing with the original cast, and everything. Had they not done all of that, I'd still be upset, but I wouldn't have been as angry about all of this. For me, when I say that it's my most hated thing, it's more as a result of this. An eight month long campaign built solely on deception.

I can't give it a fair chance. And that sucks. I wish I could. But it's just not going to be possible for me.

Gintama Jump Special Anime Festa 2015

So Crunchyroll actually subbed this. Half is just a extended (I think there's more than the last one anyways) preview for the upcoming shogun assassination arc, but there's also a lot of hilarious jokes. It's about 13 minutes, including the standard op and ed songs, so it won't take much of your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom