• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was Black Jack 21 any good, or is it all downhill after the 2004 series? If I remember right it tries to have a plot line too like Young Black Jack, as opposed to the 2004 Black Jack which was a bunch of Stand Alone Episodes that are adaptations of 70s manga.

pbayne

Kuroko no Basket - 10
Hype. As. Fuck.

I am noticing several similarities with Haikyuu!! such as the dynamic between the two leads and the opponents they are facing. Thankfully its not too glaring, and there are enough differences in events and cast that it doesn't feel like I'm watching the same show.

it is standard sport show format. Glad your enjoying because it keeps getting gradually more hype. Season one's animation is quire poor compared to what they achieve later.

fertygo

it is standard sport show format. Glad your enjoying because it keeps getting gradually more hype. Season one's animation is quire poor compared to what they achieve later.

Kuroko isn't good looking show beside spesific moment that they giving focus/budget for actually, those sakuga cut is hype as shit tho

btw guys shall I watch Tri or Jessica Jones first

Was Black Jack 21 any good, or is it all downhill after the 2004 series? If I remember right it tries to have a plot line too like Young Black Jack, as opposed to the 2004 Black Jack which was a bunch of Stand Alone Episodes that are adaptations of 70s manga.

I only watched a few episodes of Black Jack 21, but I liked the little I saw of it from what I remember. It's been a while since then, haha.

Space Adventure Cobra the Movie

InLwUjL.jpg
byA934Z.jpg
y9TwC0i.jpg

Turns out this was actually made before the TV series so might as well watch this first.

This movie kind of feels like a drug trip in a lot of ways, the visuals in some of the scenes where June is floating around in Newtype space with star pasties on her nipples and the slow and methodical soundtrack, plus some other scenes like when Cobra wakes up from being encased in ice or the dance club just have some real funky visuals. There's naked girl riding a horse made of energy and also Doctor Doom is in it. Cool on both accounts. Cobra reminds me a lot of Lupin, from the voice, reaction faces and his general attitude of going on some stupid crazy adventure because the girl was cute. The movie looks great, but overall nothing spectacular. There were a lot of cool action scenes that were neatly directed, and the plot was serviceable but nothing special. A good watch but I don't have a whole lot to say about it.

Narag

Young Black Jack 8
Just really wtf after how some people questioned the doctor as a Jewish caricature last week (rightfully so really) that he ended up a Nazi doctor given a new name by the CIA. srsly wtf anime

Ep really didn't' deliver on the promised PTSD angle which mostly a contrivance to give Hazama an angle to work with. It's reminiscent of the Vietnam stuff, this little arc started well before bumbling the rest of the way. I think there's also something lost by not being intimately familiar with the source material too as reveals happen without any bang to them out of viewer ignorance. It's like the Dr. Kiriko thing should (and may) have been a big deal but it never felt like one since I was left wondering who.

jgminto

Space Adventure Cobra 9-10
So far there hasn't been a single situation that Cobra has ended up in that wasn't exciting. Cobra's self comparisons to James Bond from an earlier episode wasn't inaccurate, yet this ski escape was more exciting that many of the ski chases from the 007 series. This episode also had some fantastic retro sci fi design with the bold choice of a Piano Supercomputer controlled with the performance of classical music. There is zero logic to this design but it turns what would otherwise be a dull scene of waiting for a computer to analyse data into something much more novel.
Space Adventure Cobra the Movie

How much does the movie cover? Until Cobra faces off against Crystal Boy?

Qurupeke

Noragami Aragoto 8
I liked this episode, it seems to go further and further at the whole gods business. That Father seems to be a really mysterious person and it's weird that Yato listens to him and Nora. I don't really understand Ebisu's role to the story so far. He seems connected to Father but he hasn't done much so far. He seemed a lot more badass in the opening.

Also, Nora is creepy.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So what anime do you think have the best artstyle and/or animation quality?

I love the artstyle and animation quality of haikyuu!! so I would say that's the best one I've seen.

Just look at this, it's amazing

And I love monogatari artsyle too, but something just clicks with haikyuu!!

kewlmyc

Digimon Tri 1-4

Really wish Toei wasn't animating this and it was another studio. Taichi outrunning the digimon chasing him in part 1 was just awkward to look at. You'd think this would have a bigger budget. Other than that and Taichi's questionable character morality issue, this was great.

I love the artstyle and animation quality of haikyuu!! so I would say that's the best one I've seen.

Just look at this, it's amazing

And I love monogatari artsyle too, but something just clicks with haikyuu!!

I love how they eyes look in Haikyuu for some reason, it's really snappy or something.

Hyouka is probably one of the better looking anime that immediately comes to mind, which also happens to have good eyes!

Maybe I'm on to something here.

----------

Redline looks good as well.

ZoddGutts

Nisekoi - 1

Just watched the first ep of that series remember reading the first ch of that years ago, which was alright from what I remember. The anime oh boy, you know in some movies there's over acting from actors that distract you from enjoying the film? That sorta felt like that when I watched the first ep, instead of overacting it's over directing, the way it was directed distracted you in an annoying way that took you away from enjoying what was going on with the story/characters. Does it continue to be directed that way? If so, I'm bailing out. This is Shaft but in it's most annoying ways possible.

Meanwhile Kamisama Hajimemashita ep 1 was an enjoyable experience. I rarely watch Shojo series but since it's by the guy who directed Now and Then, Here and There, and also done Jubei-chan and Fruits Basket too which I all enjoyed. Female lead Nanami is likeable and Tomoe while ignorant I see there's more to him than that. The Yokai setting is interesting watch too. Will watch more of this series.

Ascheroth

Asterisk - 08

Color me surprised.
This was an entire episode dedicated to character development/dynamics between two side characters, Ayato and Julis had maybe 1 minute screen time.
There even was a pool scene without our male main character!

This was a nice little calm before the storm kind-of episode. I also have to say the battles looked really good, even though they were only practice matches. Saya and Kirin make a pretty good combination.

Looks like the tournament is going to start soon, looking forward to it!

kewlmyc

Wasnt it originally going to air as a weekly tv anime?

I thought it was supposed to be movies.

The 4 episodes we got were one OVA/movie called "Reunion" that aired in Japanese theaters this weekend. That's why each episode ended on an odd note, since they were shown all together with no breaks and OP/EDs in Japan.

The next one is called "Determination" and that airs in Japanese theaters in March 2016. We should get it broken into 4 episodes around the same time.

Qurupeke

Owarimonogatari 8

I found the episode a bit weak, as almost nothing happened until they met Shinobu. And Ononoki just appeared, did her..umm.. thing and left. It's interesting that it seems like there are some past apparitions on the mix though. We had the lost snail and now there's a monkey, which seems to have a crab hand based on the last instance. Vampire powers too... I also wonder what's Gaen role on this. She know everything and she seems powerful, but she seems to help when she has a benefit. Sounds a lot like Kaiki.

Anyway, at least we got some Ougi.

Monogatari. I'm not sure if it's the best, but certainly it's my favourite.

Monogatari's art style is actually insane. There are a lot of subtle variations in line color, gradient usage on character, and shifts in style that can be overlooked as you watch it. That combined with the French New Wave techniques used within the actual cinematography make it the most unique anime series ever made, in my opinion.

Line_HTX

Man, I would so love to catch up on the past 4 episodes and see some red colored Ougi right now, but my laptop is kind of sort of dead. This on top of my DVD drive being uncooperative and not properly loading up my Utena Disc 1, which I know it has zero scratches.

Really fucking mad about this, and I can't even do anything else like buy tickets to RenFest for tomorrow.

I haven't, will keep it in the back of my head.

From just looking at the MAL description it's based on Japanese poetry or something, does this actually translate when watching it with subs?

I'm quite sure you'll get a slightly better experience if you could actually understand Japanese and it's a bit weird with subs since that Karuta game depends on the verses being spoken. However, it isn't actually a real issue, especially considering that the reaction speed of the characters is so high that you wouldn't be able to hear anything before they react anyways.

It really isn't a big detriment, you'll see that yourself though, I'm sure.

kinger256

Digimon Tri - 01-04

Well fuck. Terrible direction. Not a single moment managed to elicit any emotion and that takes some major effort when you're reintroducing one of my favorite cast of characters. The show feels completely bland.

There are no interesting shots or well flowing dialogue. It's just bog-standard, forgettable stuff through and through. I had to actually curse out loudly at this obscene overuse of flashbacks and forced drama.

I suppose this addresses the writing rather but why the fuck would Taichi suddenly get some sort of PTSD after seeing merely a bit debris and a broken phone after some Digimon rampaged a bit through the city? That goes completely against his characterization. That he's then actually turning into a complete idiot that's standing there as if stunned, while his friends (incl. the Digimon) get destroyed when he and Matt can turn their Digimon to Omegamon is simply infuriating.

That and the previous quarrels between Taichi and Matt led me to believe that the writing is as bad as the direction. The two went through all that stuff in Digimon Adventure and had great growth to...then fall out over nothing? Ah fuck that.

Is there anything good about this? Well, they made several remixes of the original OST so, even when the remixes aren't great per se, they're still relatively good. The fight animation between Digimon is also looking fine. Liked that they didn't really use any canned sequences and attack announcements really. Some of that here and there I don't mind but in general, it's archaic and is done to keep production cost down.

However, speaking of canned animation sequences - good lord are they serious with those evolutions? The computer generated animation in the original Digimon Adventure at least looked pretty great for its time and had some great use of special effects. But this?

You couldn't even bother to do any shading on that evolution egg? For real? And the resulting champion level (or whatever it's called in English) CGI monster looked and moved like they were made out of rubber. For OVAs and 2015 this is fucking shameful. Overall the production value seems rather low actually. Just the fighting is solid. Character animation is quite sparse. By the way, I still think a lot of the human character design is butt-ugly, though the Digimon look quite good at least.

Last but not least, the voice acting. Initial impressions aren't good. Now I was watching the original series with some damn fantastic German dub back in the day and even somewhat recently on YouTube. I watched it subbed once, too, I think...
Either way, it just felt strange hearing some of the voices, especially when you've heard them from elsewhere already. But I'm sure it's mostly a matter of getting used to them.

Overall, I really didn't like this. I'm not too upset though because I didn't expect much going in. edit: That said, I was still actually quite excited shortly before watching. Getting all giddy at seeing them all back. Welp, and then all I get is a punch to the face.

It seems that this is only worth watching if you have any attachment to the original series. Even as a person that loved the original, it sucks that this looks like another one of those shows that panders to nostalgia, leaving it be medicore by its own merits.

Narag

It seems that this is only worth watching if you have any attachment to the original series. Even as a person that loved the original, it sucks that this looks like another one of those shows that panders to nostalgia, leaving it be medicore by its own merits.

I mean what with all the other recent Toei revivals, it would have been surprising if this wasn't the case.

Gvitor

Asterisk 08

I swear I watched every episode of this and I still don't know what the fuck are those names they keep throwing at me. Genestella, prana, whatever. At least the fights are cool.

Line_HTX

Asterisk 08

I swear I watched every episode of this and I still don't know what the fuck are those names they keep throwing at me. Genestella, prana, whatever. At least the fights are cool.

It sounds like we need Shouta's expertise on the matter, haha

Owarimonogatari 08

This episode was channeling Nise with the foot fetish stuff. Someone couldn't contain themselves any longer. Always a contest to see who can humiliate Arararagi the most.

And that was totally a crab at the end. Maybe Gaen wasn't talking about what we think she was and those 5 apparitions are something different.

How much does the movie cover? Until Cobra faces off against Crystal Boy?

First 10 episodes I think?

Not gonna include movies because movies would dominate both categories -

Artstyle - Mononoke, Bakemonogatari, Gankutsuou, Katanagatari, Lupin 2015, Ping Pong, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Animation Quality - Space Dandy, Dennou Coil, One Punch Man, Yu Yu Hakusho, Nichijou (pretty much every KyoAni show) Evangelion

Shouta

Asterisk 08

It sounds like we need Shouta's expertise on the matter, haha

Genestella = Mutant/Superhuman/I've got powers. Prana = Magic Points/Mana/etc

It's not too hard if you're looking at where the word is being used. It's only really confusing at first. Lots of series give special terms for this stuff, so it's not like it's a first, lol.

Asterisk 8

An episode entirely dedicated to Saya and Kirin. Nice. You don't get that often in a show like this, lol. Only part that gave me a headache was listening to Kirin and no-namer. It was basically DESU NO and DESU the entire time. Ergh. Also, what's with the super tiny bikini on the no-namer? I guess they gotta get in a bit of sexy.

I did like Saya just pulled no bunches and ended that fight instantly, hah.

Rakudai 8

I can't say I was very invested in the plot of the episode and the development for Ayase but at least we get a decent brawl out of it. It's starting to look like Ikki is way more OP than underdog though.

I wish this was even the case. It's not even doing a good job of pandering to nostalgia given the replacing of the entire cast.

It's more seeming to target people who thought the original was alright, but haven't thought about it much in the last 14 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom