• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Owarimonogatari ep.8
And there she is in all her Vampire glory, lol. For some reason, I wasn't expecting her
under the swingset
, but between Kanbaru bouncing like Tigger on in background and Shinobu
smacking her head on the swing,
that scene was really funny. Oh yeah, and that footprint...

Line_HTX

the last thing i want in my house is traces of prisma illya

Burn those discs immediately. They are not welcome 'round these parts. I'd take my here shotgun and blast it out the sky.

Some of it is, but much less so than say YKA. Pendrum has some parts of it that are pretty bad and kind of detract from the whole.

It was pretty controversial made worse by people expecting it to be as good as Utena.

As good as? I mean, I probably would have high expectations but would've accepted that it won't reach the heights of Utena, lol.

Line_HTX

Owarimonogatari ep.8
And there she is in all her Vampire glory, lol. For some reason, I wasn't expecting her
under the swingset
, but between Kanbaru bouncing like Tigger on in background and Shinobu
smacking her head on the swing,
that scene was really funny. Oh yeah, and that footprint...

I feel your pain on the phone part, haha

The last scene before the ED in Mawaru Penguindrum's first episode is completely irrelevant and even contradicting to what we're told later on, right?

When Kanba's having his incest talk and kisses Himari.

Guess the story got changed quite a bit during production ;P

Cornbread78

Comet Lucifer ep.8
Well damn, the adventure portion of this show remains awesome. We got a ton of backstory in the episode that really fills in a lot of blanks for our characters, especially for Do Mon and Sogo. Excellent episode overall even without any action sequences.

duckroll

Why did Concrete Revolution OT die, its been getting more good each week. Especially todays Yumihiko led BL clan episode. Gigander 7 FTW.

I dunno. I think I was the only one posting any sort of impressions there, and I just gave up and started posting them here instead. Then it fell into the backlog. I caught up on one episode during the week, but I haven't posted about it yet, still 2 episodes behind now with today's new ep. :(

Rainy Cocoa s2 Episode 7

Mark Ishii stopped by this week (voices Haiba Lev, Chrono Shindo, and G Reco's Bell!) cant believe i saw all his anime hes so good and loved his interview questions (and outfit).

It became BL finally.
CUb1ticWcAAyVFx.png

Theonik

A rewatch actually highlights how shoddy the structure and plotting are.
YKA or Pendrum. For the later, some do get hit when put into context but there is a few points that work better in the context of the whole. Pendrum had a lot of weaknesses.

As good as? I mean, I probably would have high expectations but would've accepted that it won't reach the heights of Utena, lol.
People weren't expecting a miracle but they wanted the return of Ikuhara for his first major production since Utena that just didn't happen.

Utena can't hold a candle to Penguindrum. So much filler, repetition and visuals that simply can't compare to those of the latter. While conceptually somewhat interesting, I can't say I cared much for the characters either as they didn't feel very human.

YKA or Pendrum. For the later, some do get hit when put into context but there is a few points that work better in the context of the whole. Pendrum had a lot of weaknesses.

Yeah, I meant Penguindrum. I haven't rewatched YKA.

Utena can't hold a candle to Penguindrum. So much filler, repetition and visuals that simply can't compare to those of the latter. While conceptually somewhat interesting, I can't say I cared much for the characters either as they didn't feel very human.
Utena doesn't have filler. And its structure is actually one of its biggest advantages over Penguindrum.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 22-24 [Finale]

A masterpiece, indeed.

KuwabaraTheMan called it that some time ago and at that point I found that hard to believe, given my distaste for Yurikuma and even Utena being merely a good, not a great experience. But when Phaze watched it and, against my expectations, seemed to quite like it (I purposely avoided the impressions since I was intent to see it myself eventually) I figured I'd at least try it out, too. T'was very much so worth it.

There's still a lot pondering left to do with the last episode being rather taxing on my mind and I want to backtrack some parts. So I'll give my full impressions/review a bit later...if I really get to it unlike the case with Dennou Coil *cough*.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It's definitely a very special series, despite some little problems here and there. I think it's one of those shows that's really just an experience you have to have in order to be able to describe it. There's a lot of thematic richness in Penguindrum that most shows of this length don't even really attempt, and the show really manages to execute pretty well on all of the characters. It can definitely be a somewhat bewildering experience at times, with the way the show shifts between different styles, and how it keeps going between literal and metaphorical flashbacks, sometimes even with the same scene.

I'm still meaning to get back to that rewatch I was going to be working on a while ago, because I'd like to see how certain aspects of the show hold up knowing where everything was going in the end. But I can still clearly recall the emotions I felt watching the final episode.

It's funny how some people are now coming to Penguindrum and finding unreserved admiration for it when the reaction to it as it finished airing was so ambivalent to negative.

Hmm. My memory of when the show ended was that people were generally pretty positive on it in this thread. It also did pretty well in the AOTY voting, and a lot of people considered it a shame that it lost to Madoka.

I only really remember folks starting to get more ambivalent on it a year or so later.

Juan Punch Man 8

Yeah having not read the source material recently they probably are rushing through the material, but they're also at episode 8 and still haven't reached the finale arc. They probably do want episodes 10-12 to be the final arc, which is fine by me.

As to the episode itself, outside of the intro going straight to the action I didn't really feel it rushed as others in the OT are saying. Rushing through source material does not necessarily equal the pacing was fucked. The show has always been action scene to action scene with some comedic moments to tie them all together, that hasn't changed. If they had taken like a minute or two to set-up the sea creatures coming out of the sea and people running away, it would have been better. But it's a minimal complaint. Fights were great as always, and regardless next episode should be hype.

Ascheroth

One Punch Man - 08

Huh, people feel like this was rushed? I think the pacing was pretty good as always.
Gotta love Licenceless Rider and the extra scenes they give him. Sea King is brutal.
Next episode will be great.

Jaxec

One Punch Man 8

Licenseless Rider is the G.O.A.T.

I really liked this episode because it showed heroes who clearly have no chance at least attempt to fight back. Those men earned my respect.

Sonic....please just stop. It's embarrassing when you talk that game and then get stomped.

That final shot of Saitama though. Hyped for next week. I don't remember the order in the manga, but is the Boros arc after the Sea King arc?

kewlmyc

One Punch Man 8

I really liked this episode because it showed heroes who clearly have no chance at least attempt to fight back. Those men earned my respect.

Sonic....please just stop. It's embarrassing when you talk that game and then get stomped.

That final shot of Saitama though. Hyped for next week. I don't remember the order in the manga, but is the Boros arc after the Sea King arc?

Yes, after some set up and a one off chapter.

One Punch Man 8

Yeah that's gonna be the final arc of the show. They might try to sneak in a Blizzard episode out of order because fan service (and I mean it in both ways), but we'll see. Either the boros arc will be 3 episodes long, or they'll find something to squeeze into episode 10. I personally hope it's a 3 part finale.

Phatmac

>That feeling when the source material looks better than the anime. Anyone else feel this was an ugly/rushed episode? Guess they're saving the budget but it was noticeably bad in spots. The whole conflict honestly lacked tension as they sped through scenes of heroes we know nothing about getting rekt. The dome scene with the heroes standing up against sea King was the best part. Hopefully the next episode delivers. Seeing Sonic running naked in the rain is still great though.

ibyea

Banned
Mawaru Penguindrum - 22-24 [Finale]

A masterpiece, indeed.

KuwabaraTheMan called it that some time ago and at that point I found that hard to believe, given my distaste for Yurikuma and even Utena being merely a good, not a great experience. But when Phaze watched it and, against my expectations, seemed to quite like it (I purposely avoided the impressions since I was intent to see it myself eventually) I figured I'd at least try it out, too. T'was very much so worth it.

There's still a lot pondering left to do with the last episode being rather taxing on my mind and I want to backtrack some parts. So I'll give my full impressions/review a bit later...if I really get to it unlike the case with Dennou Coil *cough*.

Yes! Glad you liked it!

>That feeling when the source material looks better than the anime. Anyone else feel this was an ugly/rushed episode? Guess they're saving the budget but it was noticeably bad in spots. The whole conflict honestly lacked tension as they sped through scenes of heroes we know nothing about getting rekt. The dome scene with the heroes standing up against sea King was the best part. Hopefully the next episode delivers. Seeing Sonic running naked in the rain is still great though.

Berserk always looked better than the adaptations. So did Prison School from what I've seen. So 'that feeling' doesn't really always apply to anime adaptations because certain source materials tend to look better. Plain and simple. With what they're doing with the budget and animation I'm amazed they can make the show look as good as it does at points and they're clearly saving their A-game for later episodes.

Jaxec

Yes, after some set up and a one off chapter.

Now I'm even more hyped. Thanks.

Yeah that's gonna be the final arc of the show. They might try to sneak in a Blizzard episode out of order because fan service (and I mean it in both ways), but we'll see. Either the boros arc will be 3 episodes long, or they'll find something to squeeze into episode 10. I personally hope it's a 3 part finale.

Yeah I also hope it's a 3 part finale. Hopefully they have prepared themselves to go all out.

Sonic could beat Sea King, but weapon users without their weapons are nerfed to hell.

I know. I just like bagging on Sonic. Though I wonder how strong Sonic is with his weapons when compared to the top of the S class?

One Punch Man - 08

Second half I was just hoping they wouldn't drag this out to another episode. They totally did :(

Otherwise, kinda nice to get a sense of the different hero levels' strength.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.8
Finally, an episode without a bath scene, lol. Although, we did get a girl getting her face and chest covered with a white gooey mess. With that being said, the insect fighting was interesting and the episide was full of action and more world building.

Shouta

Actually, as far as I remember, this episode of OPM is the same as the original's pacing. What is different is that Murata added an inbetween chapter for his version that elucidates Puri-Puri Prisoner and Sonic's arrival. That wasn't shown here for pacing reasons.

Battlechili

Banned
I almost missed out on how good One Punch Man is. After watching the first episode I was kind of turned off of it, thinking that it spent way too much time focusing on and telling the viewer how bored the main character is when one could tell such after a very short period of time. But now having watched the 2nd episode, I'm glad I kept with it. It got really good really quickly.

I feel like I shouldn't have dropped this show back when it was airing. I keep hearing people rave about it.

It was pretty great and I didn't give it a proper chance the first time I watched it, I found myself skipping episodes because back then I was only interested in romance anime like a pleb.

If there's a let's watch made for it I'll join in. I do remember the science fantasy elements and mystery being solid.

Dynedom

Digimon Tri 1-2

I love everything and everyone so much right now

edit: The
second gen Digidestined being taken out through those silhouette cuts was pretty grim and effective.
Pretty much killed any changes of that reunion happening...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom