• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to see how people can selectively forget the existence of fan service in shows they like.

The Black Siblings. Nia. There's a lot of it.

I said there was a fair amount.

When I said there wasn't an abundance of it, I was referring to the fact that the show had enough of everything else to classify itself as being about more than just the fanservice.

The amount of fanservice in TTGL is nowhere near strong enough to have it lumped with the likes of the average LN harem show or whatever.

Imaishi is a pervert and that comes across in pretty much everything he makes. I mean, he created a show called Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, for goodness' sake.

Imaishi is a pervert and that comes across in pretty much everything he makes. I mean, he created a show called Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, for goodness' sake.

Yes, and that's clearly evident in several scenes in TTGL.

That doesn't change the fact that he decided to make TTGL about something more than just that, and he succeeded.

I said there was a fair amount.

When I said there wasn't an abundance of it, I was referring to the fact that the show had enough of everything else to classify itself as being about more than just the fanservice.

The amount of fanservice in TTGL is nowhere near strong enough to have it lumped with the likes of the average LN harem show or whatever.

It has a ton of fan service, Sister Testament or whatever isn't really the standard most people would use.
Yes, and that's clearly evident in several scenes in TTGL.

That doesn't change the fact that he decided to make TTGL about something more than just that, and he succeeded.
No one is saying the show is solely focused on it though, you're bringing that baggage into the conversation.

Narag

Symphogear G 12
F72bBoil.png
Stuff happened, I don't know what stuff happened, but that's ok because it was coooool.

javac

It is, just a different kind. But for some reason some people think there's only one kind of fan service. I guess fan service they like doesn't count as fan service.

Yeah I agree, anything from a phrase and a design to a cameo or reference is by definition fan service since it's there to, you know...service the fans :p Anything from the Gunbuster pose to the appearance of mechs themselves. Hell one could argue that references to previous characters in a franchise is fan service. The whole of Macross Flashback 2012 is fanservice and I love it! Man... I love the OG Macross...

Theonik

Bouncing tits is a Gainax hallmark.
I blame Anno for all this
biupnw.gif

It's interesting to see how people can selectively forget the existence of fan service in shows they like.
It's quite simple. People have very negative connotations associated with the term so will be defensive when it is attached to things they like because they also perceive it as a slight on themselves. (how dare you like x?!)

This is also combined with the utterly moronic notion especially western audiences have with the term, fanservice, at its core doesn't even have to be sexual in nature. It is something that panders to fans at its core and not inherently bad. It's worse when people also go around confusing all sexualisation with fanservice. (as they do vice-versa)

The former I reckon has very much to do with the inherent puritanism and shaming of sexual expression inherent in many modern western but especially US societies. Or perhaps even the later.

Narag

Symphogear G 13 FIN
The whole treasury of Babylon thing was just ???????????.

===

G's better than the first show but it still comes from the same sort of mold in that I wouldn't call this trash nor would I call it very good. It exists in this nebulous space where all the dumb shit going on makes it just entertaining enough to be able to look past the copious amount of flaws in the production.

javac

The bounce in Gunbuster was for realism and not for titillation, at least according to Anno. I believe him, but on the other hand internally at Gainax the term "Misty May" was coined as a measurement for boob bouncing if I remember correctly. One Misty May is one bounce. The more you know.

This is also combined with the utterly moronic notion especially western audiences have with the term, fanservice, at its core doesn't even have to be sexual in nature. It is something that panders to fans at its core and not inherently bad. It's worse when people also go around confusing all sexualisation with fanservice. (as they do vice-versa)

I mean it's just most commonly used as this on most anime discussion platforms and as such I don't see a problem since most people are aware of the context. It's usually also really easy to declare this kind of sexual fanservice as being just that, fanservice with no other purpose. Whereas for example a referential mecha design or name may be part fanservice but ultimately also has a point in the show.

So instead of making the distinction between fanservice that's sexual in nature every single time you want to mention that term, I'd rather state it when I don't use it for that in the few rare cases.

I very much so agree with your last point though. When people see every bit of nudity or sexuality as fanservice that's hella dumb.

Yeah, also Sex and Violence with Mach-Speed. That name alone is something else.

Symphogear G 13 FIN

The whole treasury of Babylon thing was just ???????????.

===

G's better than the first show but it still comes from the same sort of mold in that I wouldn't call this trash nor would I call it very good. It exists in this nebulous space where all the dumb shit going on makes it just entertaining enough to be able to look past the copious amount of flaws in the production.

Good, now watch the first half of GX episode 1 aka the best moment in any anime ever

Theonik

I mean it's just most commonly used as this on most anime discussion platforms and as such I don't see a problem since most people are aware of the context. It's usually also really easy to declare this kind of sexual fanservice as being just that, fanservice with no other purpose. Whereas for example a referential mecha design or name may be part fanservice but ultimately also has a point in the show.

So instead of making the distinction between fanservice that's sexual in nature every single time you want to mention that term, I'd rather state it when I don't use it for that in the few rare cases.

I very much so agree with your last point though. When people see every bit of nudity or sexuality as fanservice that's hella dumb.
All those points are related. By allowing the term to be used in that way, we force the negative connotation and basically render the term useless for discussing other things covered under the term. There is far better and more descriptive ways of describing what might appear as as sexually exploitative content aimed at driving sales. That for instance, or discussing the point in general. Simplification like this often leads to problems like the one described, yes context helps prevent misunderstandings but experience often tells us that people are generally bad at dealing with context, especially when discussing things on the internet.

Really fanservice is shows like Gundam Build Fighters or Fist of the North Star Strawberry Flavor. Stuff like Highschool DxD or Testament are just ecchi. Using the term fanservice on ecchi series is kind of goofy because fanservice is "giving people what they want" when thats all ecchi series do, they are very upfront about what they are.

I don't get One Punch Man translations.
We get Mumen Rider and Amai Mask, but Blizzard and Tornado.

Yeah its certainly inconsistent.

B-but the determination to fist...

Dragon Ball Super 20

FTBH5n7.jpg
3vfwUTL.jpg
XrTo5Y8.jpg

Leave it to Krillin to shut down his wife who is 100x stronger then he is

Well, doesn't look like RoF is going to take that many detours like BoG did. Which is fine, by this point even I want to get to the new stuff at a faster rate.

But like I said in my RoF movie review most of the problems in that movie could be fixed by extending it or doing it over again. Well, looks like thats not going to happen because they still decide to not bring 18 or Buu but bring Roshi instead. Roshi is more valuable then Majin Buu who Freeza is scared of, you heard it here folks.

One Punch Man 08

Uhh. I saw people having a pain attack about this episode being rushed? Maybe I'm just too much of a simpleton to look too deep, but to me it felt like any of the other episodes.

I was dead at the puri-puri hero. Even Sonic had to evacuate after seeing that ahahaha! Can't wait to see Saitama kick this demon king's ass. Maybe then he will finally rise in ranks

Narag's simple cold no made me laugh.

So...I started a new show...

Selector Infected Wixoss Episode 1
download.png

...The suffering begins.

Though the art is pretty awesome at times. Boy does it look nice.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
OPM official subs can't properly differentiate when "an" is needed instead of "a". How is the quality on this stuff so low?

Cornbread78

Hyouka ep.10-12
Interesting conclusion to the movie arc. I mean, they made it have 3 layers of mystery instead of going right to the source, lol. So many misunderstandings and misdirection, lol. At least Oreki finally showed sone emotion for once. They are jstarting the cultural festival arc now, and pres. is all over the place, well, they all are other than Oreki, whi is enjoying his quiet time, lol. We'll see what happens with all those Anthologies...

Outside of some of the normal things bothering me with the show, what is up with the ED. The lyrics and tone don't match the show at all. They make it sound like some kind of romcom or romance flick, lol.

Theonik

OPM official subs can't properly differentiate when "an" is needed instead of "a". How is the quality on this stuff so low?
Either, a) Lack of native English speakers b) Short deadlines mean there is no time to properly edit and QC the subtitles as they should. c) Incompetance d) All of the above.

dimb

Either, a) Lack of native English speakers b) Short deadlines mean there is no time to properly edit and QC the subtitles as they should. c) Incompetance d) All of the above.
It can't be that hard to have a second party proof-read something before it goes out. I find the situation with simulcast stuff to just be embarrassing recently and it only feels like it's getting worse even as more money is pumped into the system.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I blame Anno for all this
biupnw.gif

Ah, my teenage years. So much tissue was used. I regret nothing :-|
NOTE: I used tissue because the anime back in the early 90's moved me in so many ways. I was filled with strong emotion I had to let out ;_;

Please STOP. It isnt his fault the writer keeps making dumb decisions to prevent that.

Don't fret Dittle <3 I have a really strong feeling that One is saving the realization of the full potential of friendship between Saitama and Sonic (and even Genos) for the end. Sonic feels like the kind of enemy who values a rival and at the time when the whole world is against his rival, Sonic will stand with him. I don't know about you but that sounds fucking beautiful to me.

Gundam IBO 08

Loved this episode. Just pure business and characters interacting. I was happy last week when the
battle was called off and no one died.
I was interested in meeting these characters and seeing this on their side. And that was exactly what I got.

Theonik

It can't be that hard to have a second party proof-read something before it goes out. I find the situation with simulcast stuff to just be embarrassing recently and it only feels like it's getting worse even as more money is pumped into the system.
It's not hard, it takes time and these are basically rushed as the materials are often not provided until the deadlines are basically there.

dimb

It's not hard, it takes time and these are basically rushed as the materials are often not provided until the deadlines are basically there.
I just don't find this to be a very good excuse when the turnaround time for fan translated work tags so close behind simulcast stuff in terms of release time.
This sort of stuff is just like...a weekly occurrence at this point.

I still dont think CR has proofreaders. Feels like everything I watch on their has some easily avoidable typo (for example an anime episode yesterday, apparently someone forgot the "w" in "with", haikyuu had a typo as well, one time CR left the subtitle newline symbol in the subs).

Monster strike on youtube left the /i part in the subs this week too.

NeonZ

Dragon Ball Super 20

Well, doesn't look like RoF is going to take that many detours like BoG did. Which is fine, by this point even I want to get to the new stuff at a faster rate.

Magazine spoilers indicate that there are going to be changes and slowing down of the story in the coming weeks, it's just they aren't focused on what people expected at all.

Narag

Early Reins

Brought this up on twitter so figured I should actually vet this for quality. It's something of a novelty as it's an actual anime Western or at least a reasonable approximation of one since we all know anime Westerns can only take place on far off desert worlds. Plot's really simplistic and it's not really that good in its execution, cast is kinda large just because, it's an early 00s production so ugly CG, and the music is really sort of synthy which doesn't convey the Western motifs it attempts.

Still, there's some nice animation full of smears, some decent action set pieces, and a pretty satisfying conclusion so it's not all that bad. I've a high tolerance for both anime and Western tropes so that will have affected my judgement to some degree though.

javac

"The complete fulfillment of this promise is no longer in AnimeGAF; she is nothing in the world; no one resorts to her for anime and entertainment; she has none to offer the wayfarer. For two months has that fruitlessness continued; the withered tree still stands, a monument of unbelief and its punishment."

jgminto

You'd think somebody would ask people what shows aren't fan service junk if they actually cared at all instead of scanning the OP for things to find problem with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom