• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

Can we like...maybe just end this thread early and make a nice one for the next round?

Actually though, as much as I think other community threads are also ridiculously insular, there's no reason for members to be going up against the mods for something like this. Just make a nice welcoming OP so this place doesn't get nuked. Anime is a pretty big medium and it would really suck for the entire community thread to be gone.

Can we like...maybe just end this thread early and make a nice one for the next round?

Actually though, as much as I think other community threads are also ridiculously insular, there's no reason for members to be going up against the mods for something like this. Just make a nice welcoming OP so this place doesn't get nuked. Anime is a pretty big medium and it would really suck for the entire community thread to be gone.

I mean, I think the current OP is fairly welcoming, as long as BGBW's brand of humor doesn't turn you off. I'm not exactly sure what kind of threads are desired by some people.

Branduil

I mean, I think the current OP is fairly welcoming, as long as BGBW's brand of humor doesn't turn you off. I'm not exactly sure what kind of threads are desired by some people.

"Hello non-anime fans. We can see that you don't like anime. We don't like anime either. Here are some anime you should watch so you can be a non-fan too. Also, if you would like to suggest any jokes, please make sure they have first been vetted by the larger GAF community and will not cause any confusion or disillusionment."

Considering the churn of this thread over the time I've been posting in AnimeGAF, and the number of new people who have wandered in and become heavy posters, anyone who says this community does not welcome new members does not know what they're talking about.

Yeah, this thread has always been welcoming to new posters given the regularity with which folks come in and then become regulars fairly quickly. At this point it feels like most of the folks in this thread are fairly new, aside from some of us holdovers.

Narag

Probably just simulcast info, series highlights (which are nearly always a crapshoot), and as sonicmj1 said on irc, Jexhius' big block o' links to commonly asked questions.

Russ T

Banned
I can absolutely see why this kind of OP would turn off someone who's not already familiar with anime.

But I feel like anyone who's actually interested would read further, anyway.

You know, I was just thinking yesterday that we were overdo for one of those terrible "anime used to be cooler when I watched it" threads.

But we got the Otaku USA thread, which is just delivering in spades.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hey guys, remember when someone said "fuck em, they can ask" over the not-that-crazy criticism that someone might peace the fuck out over seeing a bunch of satirically placed moe garbage in the OP.
But the OP was changed to a fully informed one and elicited the expected reaction from the original. That is the humor in the situation. If seeing "moe" makes people recoil or assume the worst or something they probably actually aren't ready for this thread. BGBW actually did a lot of good image editing work to make the opening post colorful, readable, and thematically relevant. Almost all the major shows for this season are listed in the OP and it directs people to viewing them.

Droplet

I think the OP is fun (like I think the League OPs are fun, and I don't even play the game!). But if it so happens that from an outsider's view it needs to be toned down because it's unwelcoming, then tone the thing down. I don't remember TUSR's threads being this divisive, just imitate those.

Probably just simulcast info, series highlights (which are nearly always a crapshoot), and as sonicmj1 said on irc, Jexhius' big block o' links to commonly asked questions.

Well, this OP has the first two. I do think Jexhius' group of links are helpful; I'm not sure why BGBW didn't include them this time around.

Who calls the shots on who gets to make the next OP when a thread's over?

I'd like to give that a shot sometime. I feel like I could make a helpful, welcoming, informative OP if I really tried.

The OP had a lot of effort put into it, and it's very fun and distinct.

Isn't that the point of a community thread? To have some with the hobby you all share.

It would be a shame if that all had to be replaced with something bland just to help the humorless.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I believe the issue is more everyone's explanation of the OP more than anything:

I think mostly we're trying to interpret the fact that Cyan used the content in that thread to represent some of the perception problems anime has... then got told in here it wasn't representative because the thread was a gag... then charlequin said he'd rather it not be a gag... then he got told it was representative of anime as a whole... so it's unclear what the initial response to Cyan was?

sonicmj1

The sense people were giving in the thread was that the OP was recommending shows that nobody was actually looking forward to or expecting to be good. That's a no-no. See also: current rules regarding School Days recommendations.

The OP is definitely different now than it was at the start of the season, and it's a lot more helpful. But the bare minimum standard is to not be actively deceptive.

Mechazawa

BGBW likes the stuff and it is anime.

But the OP was changed to a fully informed one and elicited the expected reaction from the original. That is the humor in the situation. If seeing "moe" makes people recoil or assume the worst or something they probably actually aren't ready for this thread. BGBW actually did a lot of good image editing work to make the opening post colorful, readable, and thematically relevant. Almost all the major shows for this season are listed in the OP and it directs people to viewing them.

It's more about the tone evoked during a time when a community is challenged with the notion that it might be too insular by a mod.

The OP is kinda background fodder to the overall point I was making.

What i'm saying is: don't give anyone ammo. Like, especially not right now.

wonzo

Banned
bgbw's op had more effort put into it and is a far more guiding, informative one than any other opening post of any other off-topic community thread

Had no idea this thread was here, until it got called out.

Anyway, I don't have NHK or even a computer right now but can anyone recommend a nice easy show on JP Netflix? Seems the selection is a bit more limited than NA Netflix but I'd rather watch on my TV than on my tablet with a proxy.

I dont think thats what the thread is about aside from driveby posts

Oh it's not as bad, and there are certainly some well thought out posts in that thread.

But threads arguing where nerdy pastimes, such as comics, anime, cartoons, videogames, fall on the social ladder...

...they just tickle my funny bone for some reason.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the OP is fun (like I think the League OPs are fun, and I don't even play the game!). But if it so happens that from an outsider's view it needs to be toned down because it's unwelcoming, then tone the thing down. I don't remember TUSR's threads being this divisive, just imitate those.
League of Legends OPs are actually the worst. Image heavy and mobile unfriendly, chalk full of useless/outdated info that doesn't highlight basic or important links, broad unrelated mainstream insertion of internet memes, and little to no regard for supporting the community actually built there.

Defuser

League of Legends OPs are actually the worst. Image heavy and mobile unfriendly, chalk full of useless/outdated info that doesn't highlight basic or important links, broad unrelated mainstream insertion of internet memes, and little to no regard for supporting the community actually built there.

Usually Game OP threads looks like they are getting paid to advertised ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The sense people were giving in the thread was that the OP was recommending shows that nobody was actually looking forward to or expecting to be good. That's a no-no. See also: current rules regarding School Days recommendations.

The OP is definitely different now than it was at the start of the season, and it's a lot more helpful. But the bare minimum standard is to not be actively deceptive.

Mmm. I think some people in that thread were mixing up the original state of the OP, where BGBW basically championed his more obscure favorites in his sardonic style, with the current state of the OP, which more or less accurately reflects most of what is being watched, albeit filtered through BGBW.

(Feel a bit bad for BGBW by the way, becoming a focus of GAF while he's not even here!)

Droplet

Sure, but what I was pointing out is that even with my limited awareness of the actual game I can tell that they're meant to be jokes.

Anyway, I don't have NHK or even a computer right now but can anyone recommend a nice easy show on JP Netflix? Seems the selection is a bit more limited than NA Netflix but I'd rather watch on my TV than on my tablet with a proxy.

Silver Spoon is a fun, easy show about a guy going to a school for farmers. Also guaranteed to make you hungry.

Cornbread78

BGBW, we are going to have to sacrifice you for the good of the community.

Who calls the shots on who gets to make the next OP when a thread's over?

I'd like to give that a shot sometime. I feel like I could make a helpful, welcoming, informative OP if I really tried.

The OP had a lot of effort put into it, and it's very fun and distinct.

Isn't that the point of a community thread? To have some with the hobby you all share.

It would be a shame if that all had to be replaced with something bland just to help the humorless.

bgbw's op had more effort put into it and is a far more guiding, informative one than any other opening post of any other off-topic community thread

I can't sleep and I have to wake up in 4hours, this sucks, but what a crazy night for this crap. The OP looks great and has a ton of information in it. To make it more friendly, maybe we can just add back some of the information links that Jexhius put together, or like I said before, make new ones with updated information and opinions that link to stuff like the Romance Anime thread I put together to help folks just liking for things to watch, but may be afraid to ask. As a community I'm sure we could put it all together and organize, then we can keep BGBW'S flair and have the additional OP content that is being recommend / requested.

Russ T

Banned
This misunderstanding just goes to show this season sucks!

people keep saying that but...

Haikyuu!! 2
Kagewani
Owarimonogatari
Osomatsu-san
The Perfect Insider
Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou
One Punch Man
Noragami Aragoto

I'm enjoy all of these to varying degrees! And these are all new to this season!

Hi thar! Unfortunately I've no knowledge of JP Netflix but you can always pick an anime that looks interesting and post in the thread to see what we say about it and if its worth your while.

This misunderstanding just goes to show this season sucks!

All we need is Digimon Tri.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The thing that befuddles me the most in that other thread... are the folks saying this season isn't any good. OPM, Haikyuu, Gundam, Noragami, Utawarerumono all cracking my top 10 this year.

This weeks episode of Haikyuu might be my favorite episode of the year. Any show. Its just fantastic.

(also hi, its been a while since I've posted in an anime thread)

VRMN

The thing that befuddles me the most in that other thread... are the folks saying this season isn't any good. OPM, Haikyuu, Gundam, Noragami, Utawarerumono all cracking my top 10 this year.

This weeks episode of Haikyuu might be my favorite episode of the year. Any show. Its just fantastic.

(also hi, its been a while since I've posted in an anime thread)

People say this season is no good and there's nothing much worth watching every season. It's nothing special about this one.

I would say this season has been pretty solid.

The biggest disappointment I've had is the new season of Garo, which sucks obviously...

...but hey, Gundam fans finally got a new series to be happy about.

wonzo

Banned

aria, anne of green gables, & future boy conan would all be a good start. cant find a decent list so i cant really recommend anything else :(

Squishy3

I can't sleep and I have to wake up in 4hours, this sucks, but what a crazy night for this crap. The OP looks great and has a ton of information in it. To make it more friendly, maybe we can just add back some of the information links that Jexhius put together, or like I said before, make new ones with updated information and opinions that link to stuff like the Romance Anime thread I put together to help folks just liking for things to watch, but may be afraid to ask. As a community I'm sure we could put it all together and organize, then we can keep BGBW'S flair and have the additional OP content that is being recommend / requested.
I gave a shoutout to your Let's Watch thread and nobody paid it any mind :(

I would say this season has been pretty solid.

The biggest disappointment I've had is the new season of Garo, which sucks obviously...

...but hey, Gundam fans finally got a new series to be happy about.

Not really, several Gundam fans I know aren't all too thrilled with the new Gundam. I mean, they don't hate it or even think it's awful, but it doesn't feel particularly memorable to them.

I've definitely seen some people who think it's awful. Jexhius said on Twitter that he liked Valkyrie Drive more!

He also said that the show was competent, but that's all it was. Unlike G-Reco, which had all sorts of cool things that made it an interesting experience.

I only say three episodes of G-Reco and next to nothing of IBO so I can't comment all that much on their quality though. That's just stuff I've heard.

Silver Spoon is a fun, easy show about a guy going to a school for farmers. Also guaranteed to make you hungry.

aria, anne of green gables, & future boy conan would all be a good start. cant find a decent list so i cant really recommend anything else :(
Thanks, I'll check these out.

Hi thar! Unfortunately I've no knowledge of JP Netflix but you can always pick an anime that looks interesting and post in the thread to see what we say about it and if its worth your while.
And I will try this if anything grabs me. So far Durarara! seems the most interesting for my tastes but it's bit too difficult and the fact that it is appealing makes me loathe to watch without comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom