• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

The OP is shit. It needs to be rewritten so it's useful.

If BGBW rewrote the show descriptions, took out some of the joke shows, and added Jexhius's post back in, would that be enough? Most of the shows in there are actually what people watch. Unless the wrapping is the problem.

I don't see how it's "shit". It has a list of some highly rated current shows (mixed in with some of BGBW's favorites, as pretty much all thread creators do), a link to a full list of every show airing from Ani-Chart, a complete season schedule for every single simulcast, and links to individual threads for shows from this season. It even establishes some of the rules and guidelines for the thread.

How much more useful could an OP be? (Short of just adding back in the big set of links jexhius compiled from past threads at the bottom)

Squishy3

Yeah, it's just right now we're in an awkward position with it being the way it is now but BGBW isn't here to weigh in on the conversation.

Russ T

Banned
It has a list of most of the popular series in this thread (with a bit of a personal touch), a full list of all simulcasts and icons representing where they're available, a list of links to threads for specific series airing this season.

I honestly don't understand the hostility directed at the OP. Is it just the GAF-chan shtick that makes it so shit?

Shouta

I hope this means you will do the same for the other community threads that have joke OP/barely no info. lol plsdontkillme

Might be time to break out bish mode.

Also, this thread gets refreshed often so it needs have a relevant first post.

If BGBW rewrote the show descriptions, took out some of the joke shows, and added Jexhius's post back in, would that be enough? Most of the shows in there are actually what people watch. Unless the wrapping is the problem.

Whatever works. Ideally, neutral description of the show and anything that's notable about it.

Since you're a mod who actually watches anime, perhaps you can rewrite the OP, using your knowledge of both current anime and the wishes of the GAF moderation team to create something that would be acceptable to all parties?

You guys can do it yourselves unless you don't think you're able to write a proper description of a show without making it a joke.

I don't see how it's "shit". It has a list of some highly rated current shows (mixed in with some of BGBW's favorites, as pretty much all thread creators do), a link to a full list of every show airing from Ani-Chart, a complete season schedule for every single simulcast, and links to individual threads for shows from this season. It even establishes some of the rules and guidelines for the thread.

How much more useful could an OP be? (Short of just adding back in the big set of links jexhius compiled from past threads at the bottom)

A list with joke descriptions that say nothing about the actual show itself? The One Punch Man description is "A One Hit Wonder" Or how about the Young Black Jack description? How is that useful? I don't have a problem with the format.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with it in it's current state. When the thread first started it was a joke list because no one knew what would be the stand out shows of the current season. As of now it's useful and lists shows people here are actively watching. The misunderstanding that is happening in the Otaku thread is that people who only looked at the OP when the thread started thought the OP was still a joke and made fun of Cyan for taking the joke seriously.

Instro

Frankly I've never been fond of the jokey OPs, especially when the content takes huge hits to perpetuate the joke(i.e. the extremely unhelpful show descriptions and information). It's on the level of joke recommendations, and having people watch garbage shows. Not sure why the info Jexhius put together was removed. Not sure when the irc link got removed too, although maybe that was a mod thing. I have no idea, I don't follow these threads much anymore. Back to the point, it makes it much more difficult to sift through these threads when the OP is highlighting junk, and people are hate watching nonsense. The level of discussion seems to have improved a bit from some of the threads over the last year at least, culling some members probably had a positive impact.

Unfortunately for BGBW he is going to get flak, but this also isn't the first time this has happened with animegaf OTs.

Mik317

not seeing what is so bad about the OP

It has all the popular shows and some other stuff. It has one sentence blurbs about most of the shows. Schedule and seasonal charts.

so is the problem that it jokes around a little?

If that is the case, then most OPs need to be changed, no? The NFL OP is generally a jokey look at the last week, and a schedule.

I think there should be room for personality

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I honestly don't see what is wrong with it in it's current state. When the thread first started it was a joke list because no one knew what would be the stand out shows of the current season. As of now it's useful and lists shows people here are actively watching. The misunderstanding that is happening in the Otaku thread is that people who only looked at the OP when the thread started thought the OP was still a joke and made fun of Cyan for taking the joke seriously.

It has all the popular shows and some other stuff. It has one sentence blurbs about most of the shows.

Do you honestly think a bunch of the one-sentence show descriptions in the OP are "useful" information?

In-jokes are one thing, but at least have the OP spell out "for actual descriptive info, click the anichart link below" or something. Newbies aren't necessarily going to know any better.

What I could see desired is that the descriptions of shows listed are not the current short, pithy comments but a more elaborate description that conveys what the show is about with a plot summary and all. But we'll see what Shouta says.

Not really, several Gundam fans I know aren't all too thrilled with the new Gundam. I mean, they don't hate it or even think it's awful, but it doesn't feel particularly memorable to them.

Hmmm, in some regards I guess I could see where they're coming from. I'll admit Iron Blooded Orphans hasn't been amazing so far...

...But in comparison to G-Reco...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But the OP was changed to a fully informed one and elicited the expected reaction from the original. That is the humor in the situation. If seeing "moe" makes people recoil or assume the worst or something they probably actually aren't ready for this thread. BGBW actually did a lot of good image editing work to make the opening post colorful, readable, and thematically relevant. Almost all the major shows for this season are listed in the OP and it directs people to viewing them.

I remember the good ol' days where the OP actually provided great info. =P

To be completely on point though, people have no right to really call out this thread's OP especially when they haven't looked at League of Legends' OT.

Mik317

Do you honestly think a bunch of the one-sentence show descriptions in the OP are "useful" inforrmation?

its funny and if you want to learn more, thats what the anichart is for. it also seems like the ones that aren't explained....are the ones most people already know about.

are jokes just not allowed because others aren't in on it?

I don't even post in this thread much.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It has a list of most of the popular series in this thread (with a bit of a personal touch), a full list of all simulcasts and icons representing where they're available, a list of links to threads for specific series airing this season.

I honestly don't understand the hostility directed at the OP. Is it just the GAF-chan shtick that makes it so shit?

I don't get it either. The opening post is full of great information. The simulcast listings are great.

Compared to other threads where the opening is totally barebones (for instance MLB and Poligaf OPs are completely useless) - it seems pretty useful.

You guys can do it yourselves unless you don't think you're able to write a proper description of a show without making it a joke.

Well, practically speaking you should talk to BGBW about that since none of us can edit his posts. Unless you'd like to lock this thread and assign someone to write a new one. Which I'd be fine with.

Instro

It has all the popular shows and some other stuff. It has one sentence blurbs about most of the shows. Schedule and seasonal charts.

so is the problem that it jokes around a little?

If that is the case, then most OPs need to be changed, no? The NFL OP is generally a jokey look at the last week, and a schedule.

I think there should be room for personality

Well frankly many of the community threads are awful, beyond just the OP. However, many of them also have the luxury of being for extremely popular topics that most people already know about. Anime is one of the least understood topics on this board, and often one of the most misrepresented.

What I could see desired is that the descriptions of shows listed are not the current short, pithy comments but a more elaborate description that conveys what the show is about with a plot summary and all. But we'll see what Shouta says.

I recall having threads with descriptions, but also linking/quoting early episode reviews from members. I think that's the ideal scenario. I feel that the silly stuff is less problematic when the content is actually there.

Do you honestly think a bunch of the one-sentence show descriptions in the OP are "useful" information?

In-jokes are one thing, but at least have the OP spell out "for actual descriptive info, click the anichart link below" or something. Newbies aren't necessarily going to know any better.

It's more useful than previous seasonal OPs have been. I remember one OP was nothing but Gundam shit from the 80s!

XiaNaphryz

its funny and if you want to learn more, thats what the anichart is for. it also seems like the ones that aren't explained....are the ones most people already know about.

are jokes just not allowed because others aren't in on it?

I don't even post in this thread much.

I don't even post in these threads much anymore either and I get the jokes because I still lurk the threads, but as I mentioned it's not clear the anichart link will actually give someone more descriptive info to someone unfamiliar with it, and when the topic brought up by mods is "the OP is confusing to a newcomer," you can't necessarily assume "most people know info about this." I looked over the OP and tried to view it as someone who has no idea about any of this.

And saying "but other Community threads aren't any better" is no defense guys, it just means everyone else will also get nailed either at the same time or soon after.

It's more useful than previous seasonal OPs have been. I remember one OP was nothing but Gundam shit from the 80s!

Which isn't really a defense when there were seasonal anime threads YEARS ago that had plenty of info. But there also have been several terrible ones in that regard back then as well. You can find good OT OPs from 2009 and terrible ones from 2006.

Anime OTs still remain inconsistent.

Narag

That was a celebration of G.Reco, a show that'll endure for years beyond most anything else airing currently. Also the second post had the usual info calling everything crap which I was still pretty accurate on!

Squishy3

I think this is the biggest point of contention right now, in that there aren't actual descriptions for the shows. Like, for example, people wouldn't know that Owarimonogatari is the 6th series in the Mongatari umbrella. I think that if intervention is needed right now we should put in basic descriptions for stuff, and then add stuff like Jexhius' post back in. I also feel like if this happens he should get a PM explaining what happened so he doesn't have to read through multiple pages of this thread and the Otaku USA thread to figure out exactly what happened.

A list with joke descriptions that say nothing about the actual show itself? The One Punch Man description is "A One Hit Wonder" Or how about the Young Black Jack description? How is that useful? I don't have a problem with the format.

Well, the link to the chart has full descriptions for everything if people need them.

I personally think the joke descriptions help to bring more color to the thread, while still providing essential information about what the most watched shows are, and when and where you can see them.

If removing all the jokes from the thread is necessary, then so be it, I guess. But it does seem like a shame.

That was a celebration of G.Reco, a show that'll endure for years beyond most anything else airing currently. Also the second post had the usual info calling everything crap which I was still pretty accurate on!

People don't read the first post. What makes you think they'll read the second?

kayos90

Quite frankly I disagree with the notion that the OP needs to be helpful the entire way through or it can't be a joke. Part of the allure of the community is that it has its own jokes and quirks and people who've been following it pick up on that. If they're new they are totally welcome to post in the thread to ask for advice on what's good. Not only that but the OP can be joke oriented and anyone who sees that can immediately notice the jokes behind it. If they're truly curious about the show they can either google it or ask one of us especially since we're into the season. The people who actually check the OP straight from the getgo are the ones who have been part of the community for a while. New users don't even know when new cours start so they can just directly ask us. Not only that but if we're going to bloat the OP to be massive info bombs then honestly I don't think it's anything better than gunbo's old DMCHD OT which got destroyed for being an info-overload.

The jokes can exist and at its current state I think it's fine. People don't come in here and go "holy shit anime sucks. fuck this thread" and leave right away. The OP doesn't even remotely do that. And as dimb posted previously, if mods are on the cusp of just laying down the law on what OP's should look like, especially in community threads, they should probably start with the ones that actually does not help at all even the slightest. aka: the LoL thread.

XiaNaphryz

Well, the link to the chart has full descriptions for everything if people need them.

Relying on the chart as a means to provide more info doesn't necessarily help if the OP doesn't make it clear that the anichart link actually contains said info.

All there is is an image that says "That's a lot of shows, but that's not all of them. Click here to see what else is there." That just says to me "click here for a chart of the complete schedule list."

Quite frankly I disagree with the notion that the OP needs to be helpful the entire way through or it can't be a joke. Part of the allure of the community is that it has its own jokes and quirks and people who've been following it pick up on that. If they're new they are totally welcome to post in the thread to ask for advice on what's good. Not only that but the OP can be joke oriented and anyone who sees that can immediately notice the jokes behind it. If they're truly curious about the show they can either google it or ask one of us especially since we're into the season. The people who actually check the OP straight from the getgo are the ones who have been part of the community for a while. New users don't even know when new cours start so they can just directly ask us. Not only that but if we're going to bloat the OP to be massive info bombs then honestly I don't think it's anything better than gunbo's old DMCHD OT which got destroyed for being an info-overload.

The jokes can exist and at its current state I think it's fine. People don't come in here and go "holy shit anime sucks. fuck this thread" and leave right away. The OP doesn't even remotely do that. And as dimb posted previously, if mods are on the cusp of just laying down the law on what OP's should look like, especially in community threads, they should probably start with the ones that actually does not help at all even the slightest. aka: the LoL thread.

It's probably the newcomers who need the OP more than the regulars who look at it once and never see it again because they're subscribed to the thread.

Shouta

I didn't say it couldn't have jokes, just that it needs to be useful. If you can sneak a joke in and be useful, then great. But it can't be a big ass joke.

Crocodile

Saying the OP is shit as a stand alone statement Isn't helpful

However, elaborating to say the OP needs more useful text descriptions of the shows is useful feedback and can be used to improve the thread :)

kayos90

It's probably the newcomers who need the OP more than the regulars who look at it once and never see it again because they're subscribed to the thread.

While I get that, how many people do you honestly think actually look at the OP and actually give a shit or take it at face value 100%. Whether it's actually helpful or not, people who actually care will post in the thread. The OP is more of a facilitator of conversations for the new season if anything else. There are a ton of shows, way too much stuff happening all the time that should we really have one person compile all the information only to make it simple? I mean... if people are up for it then by all means but I think that the idea that we are forced to make an OP all serious infobloat is mediocre especially for a community thread. If the first OT for every season makes its way to the primary off-topic section then maybe that's a different story but come on. This is the community thread for christ sake.

I didn't say it couldn't have jokes, just that it needs to be useful. If you can sneak a joke in and be useful, then great. But it can't be a big ass joke.

While fair, the OP is not entirely useless. Honestly, probably just better to remove the summaries and just have a list of animes airing with showtimes and pictures and be done with it. that way we can get into silly arguments of "is this thread one big fucking joke?"

Squishy3

I personally think the joke descriptions help to bring more color to the thread, while still providing essential information about what the most watched shows are, and when and where you can see them.

If removing all the jokes from the thread is necessary, then so be it, I guess. But it does seem like a shame.
At this point it's that the jokes are there while also not providing any basic information other than GAF-chan's "personal insight." I would say descriptions like for Osomatsu-san, and Haikyuu S2 are fine. Same for Kagewani where it gives a succinct description of the show (something better than mysterious monster would be good, but certainly not the worst of the bunch) I'd say even Muco is fine, Shomin Sample's is probably fine too. (Haven't watched it, so can't verify the accuracy)

But then you have the descriptions like Hidan no Aria AA, or Utawarewerumono. OPM too, although the show title itself gives a description people might not realize it's effectively a comedy. Noragami's isn't great either since it doesn't give context to what the series is actually about. Most people are probably familiar enough with Gundam that IBO's probably isn't a big issue, but a better description wouldn't hurt. I mentioned Owarimonogatari's description issue before as well, since people wouldn't know it's the 6th series under the Monogatari umbrella.

Again, jokey isn't really the issue, it's just that the jokes aren't naturally blended with the descriptions outside of a couple. But I see Shouta already covered this while I was writing this up.

XiaNaphryz

While I get that, how many people do you honestly think actually look at the OP and actually give a shit or take it at face value 100%. Whether it's actually helpful or not, people who actually care will post in the thread.

That's not necessarily fair, there's a LOT of lurkers around these forums. Especially industry types. I know, because I've worked with many of them.

Just because some people don't post a lot doesn't necessarily mean they don't care.

kayos90

That's not necessarily fair, there's a LOT of lurkers around these forums. Especially industry types. I know, because I've worked with many of them.

Just because some people don't post a lot doesn't necessarily mean they don't care.

Like I said, if they're lurking and they care, they will post. Even if we put relevant information in there, who's to say we're providing the right amount of info for them to actually care and look into it. Everything is going to be subjective.

I hated the older ops because it was clearly obvious newcomers never fucking read them and they were a long massive info dump posts to past threads and posts that quite frankly is pretty useless except for ego stroking.

While I get that, how many people do you honestly think actually look at the OP and actually give a shit or take it at face value 100%. Whether it's actually helpful or not, people who actually care will post in the thread. The OP is more of a facilitator of conversations for the new season if anything else. There are a ton of shows, way too much stuff happening all the time that should we really have one person compile all the information only to make it simple? I mean... if people are up for it then by all means but I think that the idea that we are forced to make an OP all serious infobloat is mediocre especially for a community thread. If the first OT for every season makes its way to the primary off-topic section then maybe that's a different story but come on. This is the community thread for christ sake.
It is what it is. Dragging this out when the mods have made their wishes clear, especially playing the unfair card (please stop doing this people), isn't going to do anyone any good. It's some changes to the OP, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I've seen a lot of people use that OT strictly for the streaming schedules too fwiw.
That's what I mostly use it for.

kayos90

I assume this is what Shouta's thinking in terms of an ideal OT or somewhat close to it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593226

Honestly speaking, how does this look any better. No offense to the OP creator but this is so bloated and it's an expanded info shitshow. Like... This is not any more helpful than the condensed shit we got from BGBW.

It is what it is. Dragging this out when the mods have made their wishes clear, especially playing the unfair card (please stop doing this people), isn't going to do anyone any good. It's some changes to the OP, it shouldn't be a big deal.

That's what I mostly use it for.

Then the mods need to just lay down the law like the school days situation and say, "OPs need too like this" instead of making suggestions or conversing with the community. And to be clear, they should do that to every community thread.

I blame all of this on words.
2zzMb1O.jpg
FIeusEu.jpg
Who knew Aquarion Logos would be so topical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom