• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I would be interested to see if there are a significant number of people who
1) only read the first post and never post in the thread
2) only use neogaf as their sole source of anime information

For me, it's not about being welcoming or not. I've always seen the OP as an art project for whoever wants to take the time to make it. It's an expression of creativity that introduces the thread but is never really talked about after the day it goes up.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I lurked AnimeGAF for over a year before my account was approved and during that time, it actually was my sole resource for news and impressions.I frequently referred to the OP because, at the time, it was more informational (and easier on the eyes) than the standard seasonal chart that was floated around AnimeSuki and elsewhere. Of course, Community didn't exist ca.2011 and I imagine that the OP concept was originally geared toward a broader reading audience than we currently enjoy.

I am long since proactive enough in researching upcoming series that I don't rely on the OP, but it can be an overwhelming task if you're just reaching the stage where you want to branch out into less mainstream content.

I'm not as concerned with optimizing the OP for perfect accessibility as I am the suggestion that it should be actively inaccessible because lurkers don't "deserve" complete information if they don't want to (or can't) interact with the thread.

I'll chime in and say that the anime thread is my sole source for anime news. However I usually read what people are posting and rarely look at the OP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can only speak from personal experience, but I lurked AnimeGAF for over a year before my account was approved and during that time, it actually was my sole resource for news and impressions.I frequently referred to the OP because, at the time, it was more informational (and easier on the eyes) than the standard seasonal chart that was floated around AnimeSuki and elsewhere.

I'm not as concerned with optimizing the OP for perfect accessibility as I am the suggestion that it should be actively inaccessible because lurkers don't "deserve" complete information if they don't want to (or can't) interact with the thread.

I mean, this was what an OP looked like when I first started caring about anime on GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374596
(RIP 7th).
Images + one/two sentence summary. Which is basically an anime chart.

I dunno, I feel like there has to be some room for creativity and also for information. Particularly if the whole point of an OT is to foster some kind of community.

---------
5. Lovely Muuuuuuuco!

Muco is an adorable dog whose owner is a glassblower. It’s like Garfield but cuter and funnier.
--------

Why not just do it like this (but replace MAL if there's anything better)

- Links to a good description
- Doesn't clutter OT
- You don't have to change someones hard work

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
We have a lot of people, or used to at least, that are knowledgeable about staff listings and take a lot of interest in promotional websites/preview info for upcoming shows. There's a lot of info that can be added to an OT that's not just regurgitation.
Opening posts are not really collaborative efforts of this scale across the forum.

Even if people are following staff listings, one of the best looking shows this season is from the director of this gem, fresh off of Date A Live II, working with White Fox. Something like Hackadoll is a title based on a phone app that collects personal data to tailor news feeds to personal interests. It also happens to be the pet project of someone who might as well be a literal nobody on paper, but the show clearly has incredible talent behind it. Does someone here really have a finger on the pulse of Creators in Pack?

Compiling opinions in itself is a difficult process, but the current OP is already retroactively tailored to highlight many shows that picked up heavy discussion. Last season's OT has literal garbage highlighted like Fate/kaleid, Gangsta, and God Eater while ignoring Umaru-chan and the well staffed Akagami no Shirayukihime. Somehow that OT is getting a pass while this one picks up criticism though. At the end of the day who gets catered to? Stuff like Rokka and Overlord were super popular on streaming services but it's not like those were highlighted in the OT either. How many people here can single out shows like those as ones that will really take off with fan interest? Are they worth bringing attention to even if the shows are objectively bad?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I mean, this was what an OP looked like when I first started caring about anime on GAF:
(RIP 7th).

I dunno, I feel like there has to be some room for creativity and also for information. Particularly if the whole point of an OT is to foster some kind of community.

I don't feel like there's anything preventing creativity and information from occupying the same space. Just have the necessary information highly visible and neatly organized and use the rest of the OP to play around. I kind of liked OPs that included two descriptions for each show: the official synopsis and some note of anticipation or a cynical jab from the OP creator in a separate space underneath.

I hope that this incident doesn't discourage BGBW from making more OPs in the future because he far and away has the best graphic design talent of anyone in AnimeGAF.

Shouta

It's going to be a tall order to find anyone here who has watched enough of every show listed to give a good description of them. Best to just pull descriptions from other websites unless building OTs becomes a community activity.

Doesn't have to be a great description. Just a useful one. For new OTs, you can always shop around for help in the thread. For example, if someone watched a show's previous season and they're going to watch the next one, they could provide a quick description for it. New shows, someone will have to just bite the bullet and look into it a little.

This is inevitably going to be editorial in nature, which is why I find it strange that someone would have a problem with how the OTs have been made or even the current OT.

I've always jokingly advocated OT creators just post an anime chart because it's more useful for people to actually explain their preferences and ask for recommendations, particularly because there are experts in certain genres that are going to be able to provide better recommendations.

As I pointed out about. Just shop around the thread for someone that would like to write a description for something. These OPs can be collaborative so it doesn't fall on one person.

If I was making the thread, that's what I'd highlight. I can't in good conscience help the promotion of something like Hidan no Aria AA.

But anyway, I didn't make the thread and I don't really care what happens to the OP since I'm not looking at it anyway.

RIP Hidan no Aria. I just edited the descriptions in for the shows listed because there are images already there. Before the next season starts, maybe folks can discuss what would be on the recommended list or something.

(RIP 7th).

You should see Fnordchan's threads.

Anyway, I updated the op with descriptions based off the ones hosa and drop sent me. I edited them for levity, kept the ones that worked, kept the jokes that were OK. Added one or two of my own. I probably could write better descriptions but I have the flu and it's been hard to concentrate.

jgminto

Didn't some of the old OTs use quotes from posters for each show after they started airing? That was a neat thing that could return if people want to make the OP a more serious thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
8FQI6Sb.png

fertygo

I think even Shouta said current OP is okay as long show description can be more clear for what it is.

Man to think this became problem because for unknown reason people use it as bullet for debate is really wtf, like how we can predict that kind of use to begin with?

Whatever, it is what it is, Boring OP won't kill us anyway let post chart.jpg and streaming schedule if that deny an rando using goddamn Neogaf OP as tool to generalize anime.

Instro

(RIP 7th).

I think that's the ideal scenario isn't it? Keep the personalized approach, just make a bit more interesting and functional rather than going completely off the rails. Particularly including the kind of info that you would have to sift through other sites/communities, or have knowledge of Japanese, for. There's plenty of production/pre-production and interesting staff info stuff that gets posted in the run-up to new seasons, or during the first week or so, that could be useful for OT info. Then just include a well written review or two of the first episode once the shows start airing. All of this has been done on and off in the past.

Having the double description that madp mentioned has also been a good approach in the past.

Hmmm I have trouble recalling how and why I started posting in AnimeGAF, I think it was due to K-On and/or Yuru Yuri, dunno. The OPs, for me, generally give me the overall impression of shows within any given season of anime the OT is based on.

I think even Shouta said current OP is okay as long show description can be more clear for what it is.

Man to think this became problem because for unknown reason people use it as bullet for debate is really wtf, like how we can predict that kind of use to begin with?

This was essentially why it caused a problem. Who would've expected it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't feel like there's anything preventing creativity and information from occupying the same space. Just have the necessary information highly visible and neatly organized and use the rest of the OP to play around. I kind of liked OPs that included two descriptions for each show: the official synopsis and some note of anticipation or a cynical jab from the OP creator in a separate space underneath.

I hope that this incident doesn't discourage BGBW from making more OPs in the future because he far and away has the best graphic design talent of anyone in AnimeGAF.
Yeah, the Dresden OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446174

I just think that the editorializing would be the only reason to read the first post, since it's the only thing that's unique and that you won't find on ANN or animesuki or randomc or whatever blog/forum you read. But maybe I'm just treating these threads different than someone who would never want to post in here.

Shouta

Opening posts are not really collaborative efforts of this scale across the forum.

Even if people are following staff listings, one of the best looking shows this season is from the director of this gem, fresh off of Date A Live II, working with White Fox. Something like Hackadoll is a title based on a phone app that collects personal data to tailor news feeds to personal interests. It also happens to be the pet project of someone who might as well be a literal nobody on paper, but the show clearly has incredible talent behind it. Does someone here really have a finger on the pulse of Creators in Pack?

Compiling opinions in itself is a difficult process, but the current OP is already retroactively tailored to highlight many shows that picked up heavy discussion. Last season's OT has literal garbage highlighted like Fate/kaleid, Gangsta, and God Eater while ignoring Umaru-chan and the well staffed Akagami no Shirayukihime. Somehow that OT is getting a pass while this one picks up criticism though. At the end of the day who gets catered to? Stuff like Rokka and Overlord were super popular on streaming services but it's not like those were highlighted in the OT either. How many people here can single out shows like those as ones that will really take off with fan interest? Are they worth bringing attention to even if the shows are objectively bad?

If I can GAF-Fund a forum member's trip to Evo 2 years in a row in a community thread, folks in this thread can come to some agreement about descriptions and possible shows to watch out for in an upcoming anime season. I mean folks post a ridiculous amount in this thread anyway.

fertygo

This was essentially why it caused a problem. Who would've expected it?

You just can't, its really bizarre as in lightning hitting cat bizarre, we always under moderation of mod/senior member in most part anyway, and shit even the warning came from impression we fucked up that thread or something lol

Whatever, let move on..

ibyea

Banned
Perfect Insider: 7
MY EAAARRSSSSSSS. Embarrassingly terrible english, couldn't take episode seriously at all. Also, based on what happened in the end,
I think Shiki is alive and actually had her consciousness uploaded.

ibyea

Banned
Digimon Tri: Reunion
A decent return of the original cast marred by Taichi's out of place angsting that seemed to happen for no reason at all. I didn't like the new girl introduced as she is the stereotypical anime shy girl and so far doesn't have much of a personality beyond that. Speaking of decent, for something that was originally released as a movie I expected something much better in terms of animation. Finally, I would like to mention the coloring of the show is very pleasant for the eyes.

Shouta

Digimon Tri: Reunion
A decent return of the original cast marred by Taichi's out of place angsting that seemed to happen for no reason at all. Also, the coloring is very pleasant for the eyes.

I don't think it's too out of place. He's older now and has to think about the consequences of what's going on. It's kind of the wrong time to be fretting obviously but it's not out of place to me.

As I recall, Season 1 didn't have large scale fights in the real world but it's been ages since I saw it.

I'll chime in and say that the anime thread is my sole source for anime news. However I usually read what people are posting and rarely look at the OP.

I'll come in and say that the old OP, when it was a big joke, confused the shit out of me. "wtf? are these the kinds of anime this thread likes now? Is this season really that bad?" I can can quickly figure its a joke since I'm not new to anime or this thread but some newcomer, yeah I can easily see how unhelpful that would've been.

as for that Gaf chan girl......well first impressions and all that. I can easily see someon coming in here, seeing that and quickly exiting out.

wonzo

Banned
I think a curated post-seasonal roundup thread would be a far better means of recommending things than a constantly updated OP. Let posters here do the brunt work syphoning out the mundane and the outright bad from the more worthwhile stuff. Easier to fit into a single OP too, especially if it comes without the usual walls of one-note recommendations.

Theonik

I remember Chuchumy.
MetroidPrimeRib
I remember Chuchumy
(Today, 07:01 AM)

Well, for one, what if they don't know about anichart.net?
It's on the OP. It really has replaced the need for having all this information there. Sure there is perhaps some need for something like a TL;DR 'what to watch' description on the OP but this is honestly pretty hard to maintain and I think we are better off asking people to just engage the community and asking what to watch. Or people can lurk and take a look at what people are watching. In fact that would be ideal because it allows people to get a feel for the community and makes it easier for them to participate.

We've had extensive information on the OPs before but it's just proven that people generally didn't read it, and the excessive volume of information made it hard to shift through so the current basic, 'what you need, just ask' format of the OP works.

meijin avatar 2intense
THREE TIMES THE INTENSITY OF REGULAR AVATARs

I'll take Narag's.

:p
We need new blood. *cough*

I can only speak from personal experience, but I lurked AnimeGAF for over a year before my account was approved and during that time, it actually was my sole resource for news and impressions.I frequently referred to the OP because, at the time, it was more informational (and easier on the eyes) than the standard seasonal chart that was floated around AnimeSuki and elsewhere. Of course, Community didn't exist ca.2011 and I imagine that the OP concept was originally geared toward a broader reading audience than we currently enjoy.

I am long since proactive enough in researching upcoming series that I don't rely on the OP, but it can be an overwhelming task if you're just reaching the stage where you want to branch out into less mainstream content.

Kinda, AnimeGAF was, and still is my main source of anime information, however the format and readability of the OP information has always been very low. With the current state of anime resources and information being much easier to access and presented than what the OP can ever do (combined with the savings in time) there isn't really so much reason to have a huge unwieldy OP anymore. A banner, some basic information and the links can provide an adequate amount of information to facilitate discussion which is really what an OP on a forum should be about.

I don't think it's too out of place. He's older now and has to think about the consequences of what's going on. It's kind of the wrong time to be fretting obviously but it's not out of place to me.

As I recall, Season 1 didn't have large scale fights in the real world but it's been ages since I saw it.

Wasn't it towards the end where it happened?

I don't remember too much, so I've started watching the first season again.

Shouta

Wasn't it towards the end where it happened?

I don't remember too much, so I've started watching the first season again.

S2 was the one where it all went real world, as I recall. S1 had one or two times the real world pops up in the story but I don't think it ever was the main stage for battle.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay, well, I've discussed it with a couple of other people who have previous experience with seasonal threads on twitter, and I'd like to volunteer myself for the Winter 2016 thread. It's going to be a collaborative effort; I'll compile the objective information (aka mostly copypasting anichart) while delegating out editorial statements on each show to people who are familiar with the source material or the important staff's bodies of work. If it turns out as expected, it should be informative while still reflecting the individuality of the AnimeGAF community.

Let's just take solace in the fact that we'll have a workable format by January and move on with discussion as usual.

S2 was the one where it all went real world, as I recall. S1 had one or two times the real world pops up in the story but I don't think it ever was the main stage for battle.

Second one sort of went to the real world more for fighting once BlackWarGreymon was a plotline, but it was still largely in the digital world up to that point.

wonzo

Banned
Okay, well, I've discussed it with a couple of other people who have previous experience with seasonal threads on twitter, and I'd like to volunteer myself for the Winter 2016 thread. It's going to be a collaborative effort; I'll compile the objective information (aka mostly copypasting anichart) while delegating out editorial statements on each show to people who are familiar with the source material or the important staff's bodies of work. If it turns out as expected, it should be informative while still reflecting the individuality of the AnimeGAF community.

Let's just take solace in the fact that we'll have a workable format by January and move on with discussion as usual.

calling dibs on dagashi kashi & galko-chan

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If I can GAF-Fund a forum member's trip to Evo 2 years in a row in a community thread, folks in this thread can come to some agreement about descriptions and possible shows to watch out for in an upcoming anime season. I mean folks post a ridiculous amount in this thread anyway.
My point was more that the number of niches anime caters to is kind of wide. If anything Anime of the Year stuff kind of proves that there's not really an accepted groupthink that exists within this particular community as to what is recognizable or notable. Certain members inherently have tastes at odds with one another. I know Starmyu and Diabolik Lovers will appeal to someone but should they have someone championing them in the OP? When checks for legitimacy are opened to everyone what gets discluded?

Line_HTX

I look forward to your OP.

Selector Episode 2
download_1.png

Is.....is she gonna be the Vergil of this series?

Also Yuzuki wants to
bang her brother, and wants to wish that's it's okay to right?

Because
giphy.gif

The whole Vamdemon arc was basically an attempt to launch a large-scale invasion of the real world.

Oh. Right....

Hopefully my meds kick in so I can watch a bit more before bed.

I will say though in regards to Tri. At least it's rather scaled back on the "fanservice" after witnessing an unsavory detail about Xros Wars.

The awesomeness of Kill la Kill cancels out the shittyness of Sword Art Online

KirbYuuYuu is Kill

TUSR

Banned

I've got Musaigen no Phantom World (Myriad Colors Phantom World, KyoAni)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom