• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

Okay, well, I've discussed it with a couple of other people who have previous experience with seasonal threads on twitter, and I'd like to volunteer myself for the Winter 2016 thread. It's going to be a collaborative effort; I'll compile the objective information (aka mostly copypasting anichart) while delegating out editorial statements on each show to people who are familiar with the source material or the important staff's bodies of work. If it turns out as expected, it should be informative while still reflecting the individuality of the AnimeGAF community.

Let's just take solace in the fact that we'll have a workable format by January and move on with discussion as usual.

Might be a decent idea to work with BGBW on the format's graphics. Be active about it in the thread as well. It'd be nice to have something around here that folks are doing beyond just posting about what they just saw. A bit more activity for a community thread is nice.

My point was more that the number of niches anime caters to is kind of wide. If anything Anime of the Year stuff kind of proves that there's not really an accepted groupthink that exists within this particular community as to what is recognizable or notable. Certain members inherently have tastes at odds with one another. I know Starmyu and Diabolik Lovers will appeal to someone but should they have someone championing them in the OP? When checks for legitimacy are opened to everyone what gets discluded?

You can still do something collaborative. You just need to set up a scheme to do it. If you want to do all shows, then descriptions need to be limited and the image sizes have to be smaller. If you want to do a list of what shows folks are interested in, then do a check and list the ones that get votes. etc. It's really not that hard.

Theonik

My point was more that the number of niches anime caters to is kind of wide. If anything Anime of the Year stuff kind of proves that there's not really an accepted groupthink that exists within this particular community as to what is recognizable or notable. Certain members inherently have tastes at odds with one another. I know Starmyu and Diabolik Lovers will appeal to someone but should they have someone championing them in the OP? When checks for legitimacy are opened to everyone what gets discluded?
Yes. This was the case when this sort of thing was in the OP in that form but I feel if anything it helped re-enforce certain cliques in these threads where certain members were given the spotlight largely on their reputation among the same group making the OPs. It's too much trouble.

ibyea

Banned
I don't think it's too out of place. He's older now and has to think about the consequences of what's going on. It's kind of the wrong time to be fretting obviously but it's not out of place to me.

As I recall, Season 1 didn't have large scale fights in the real world but it's been ages since I saw it.

It just feels like it happened without much setup.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 160:

You know, if they had done more episodes like this, then maybe I would not have hated this season as much as I do. For example I do like that a sense of urgency exists in The Amazoness Quartet portion that was lacking before. Moreover, we have had episodes when the AQ attacking groups of people in bulk in order to find their quarry, which is something that they naturally should be doing since they are basically shooting from the dark anyway. It is maybe a minor touch but it is appreciated. Anyway, this episode pulls out a well worn trope but an effective one nonetheless as both our quirky miniboss squadron and the sailor guardians end up working side by side at Japnese culture event that basically serves as a debate ground for their philosophies and of course their dreams. Not exactly new information but I will take it over hearing about the pointless dreams of the victim of the week. Also, brownie points for calling out the goofiness of Tuxedo Mask's speech, even by the metrics of this show. Recommendation to watch.

ibyea

Banned
While I did like Digimon Tri, the more I think about it, the more disappointing it is. Someone stop me before I start hating it. D:

While I did like Digimon Tri, the more I think about it, the more disappointing it is. Someone stop me before I start hating it. D:

Welcome to the nerd culture cycle.

I think another thing that sticks out is how little romance stuck out in Digimon, and yet it became the forefront of Digimon Adventure 02 talk. The pairing stuff.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 161:

Queen Nehelenia, presumably as frustrated with the lack of anything that has happened for most of the season as I am has finally decided the time is right to start endgame for on particular reason. Though as it turns out she has a bit of an allergy to the light so she need to cast darkness cross the land in order to exist on Earth. Not the first time this has happened but nobody has done it with spiderwebs til now. We also actually get something resembling manga backstory as the Earth Kingdom finally becomes relevant again as Helios suddenly needs to find Mamoru and have him unlock the power of the Golden Crystal and this is what happens when you half adapt shit, it fits about as smoothly as sandpaper. Anyway, the upshot is that the Sailor Guardians find the location of their enemy and finally the identities of everybody is learned and that leads to a fracas between the AQ and the Scouts until the time of Ascension is nigh. Indeed, we must truly be near the end of the season if they are busting out this much sequential storytelling.

Branduil

Selector Episode 2
download_1.png

Is.....is she gonna be the Vergil of this series?

Also Yuzuki wants to
bang her brother, and wants to wish that's it's okay to right?

Because
giphy.gif

bfxort.jpg

Guys what do I need to watch before I can check out that upcoming Macross Delta show?

It's probably one of the few interesting looking shows next season that isn't a sequel or Sekkou Boys.

I've seen the OG Macross already and the description of Delta says that it takes place after Frontier so I'll probably need to watch that.

Anything else? I guess I'll watch all of that after I wrap up SAO season 1.

DiGiKerot

Guys what do I need to watch before I can check out that upcoming Macross Delta show?

Most of the Macross shows are so tonally different that I doubt your level of literacy in prior Macross works will particularly matter. I mean, it's worth watching Macross Plus just because it's real good, and I personally think Frontier is worthwhile (though I'd factor in time to watch both the TV and movie versions - the movies get way different), but I honestly doubt any of this stuff will be mandatory viewing, especially if you've already seen some OG Macross already.

Most of the Macross shows are so tonally different that I doubt your level of literacy in prior Macross works will particularly matter. I mean, it's worth watching Macross Plus just because it's real good, and I personally think Frontier is worthwhile (though I'd factor in time to watch both the TV and movie versions - the movies get way different), but I honestly doubt any of this stuff will be mandatory viewing, especially if you've already seen some OG Macross already.

Thanks! I'm more interested in watching them because there probably is a chance that characters in Delta will give spoilers of the earlier series since there seems to be some sort of continuity.

But if it's not a big deal I'll probably only watch the good stuff. I guess I need to watch the Frontier TV version before the movie right?

Also, is there any hype for Delta between Macross fans? I only noticed it because it looks colourfull but it doesn't seem to get much coverage.

DiGiKerot

Thanks! I'm more interested in watching them because there probably is a chance that characters in Delta will give spoilers of the earlier series since there seems to be some sort of continuity.

But if it's not a big deal I'll probably only watch the good stuff. I guess I need to watch the Frontier TV version before the movie right?

Also, is there any hype for Delta between Macross fans? I only noticed it because it looks colourfull but it doesn't seem to get much coverage.

The relationship between Frontier TV and the movies is kind of similar to that between the original series and DYRL, in that they are ostensibly different interpretations of the same basic story, despite some fairly significant differences in how they pan out. The Frontier movies play into it way, way more than DYRL did, though - a lot of my favourite things about it are the ways it plays into the concept of, much like they've claimed DYRL to be in the past, being a movie of the events of the TV created within the Macross universe itself. Like, there's straight-up fake product placement, done like real product placement would be done in a movie, but for goods that only exist within the shows universe.

But, yeah, watching the TV show first is probably a good idea.

(Frontiers soundtrack is amazing too. I genuinely think that the song collections are straight-up some of the best pop music albums released in recent times)

I'm not really sure anyone thinks much about Delta yet, honestly, because I'm not really sure they've released enough about it yet to formulate a worthwhile opinion about it.

Kazzy

If anyone needs any help with some of the description stuff for the new OP, let me know. Whilst I don't entirely agree with how this change has come about, it'd still be silly to let the community slip by the wayside, despite slights - perceived or otherwise.

But it made Takeru x Yamato canon with huge hints of Yamato Taichi. Good for characters and shipping otherwise I think it met my low expectations. Digivolution scenes were disappointing.

It will only be truly good if Davis comes

But it made Takeru x Yamato canon with huge hints of Yamato Taichi

Don't do this to yourself DTL.

The OP is shit. It needs to be rewritten so it's useful.

Even though I got the joke in the OP its still a put off. The best OTs were the ones where each notable show was given a description as well some personal thoughts from members.

This season is actually not that bad. OPM, Noragami, Digimon Tri, Haikyuu, Gundam etc.

fertygo

If anyone needs any help with some of the description stuff for the new OP, let me know. Whilst I don't entirely agree with how this change has come about, it'd still be silly to let the community slip by the wayside, despite slights - perceived or otherwise.

You change your nick? I remember that avy.

DiGiKerot

Even though I got the joke in the OP its still a put off. The best OTs were the ones where each notable show was given a description as well some personal thoughts from members.

This season is actually not that bad. OPM, Noragami, Digimon Tri, Haikyuu, Gundam etc.

That bit gets kind of tricky when you are creating a thread prior to any of the shows actually airing, alas, and in this post-Cajun world, we don't nearly cycle through threads as quickly, even in a season with a bunch of pretty interesting shows airing.

Unless the expectation is that whoever throws the thread up updates it every week with the current temperature of each show. Opinion on things tends to fluctuate so rapidly, particularly in the first few weeks, that it's kind of difficult to determine when these things should actually be updated with actual thoughts...

That bit gets kind of tricky when you are creating a thread prior to any of the shows actually airing, alas, and in this post-Cajun world, we don't nearly cycle through threads as quickly, even in a season with a bunch of pretty interesting shows airing.

Unless the expectation is that whoever throws the thread up updates it every week with the current temperature of each show. Opinion on things tends to fluctuate so rapidly, particularly in the first few weeks, that it's kind of difficult to determine when these things should actually be updated with actual thoughts...

Oh no, I meant like expectations from notable shows. Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I remember stuff like that in older OT's. For instance for OPM, we could have some comments about the manga and how the action scenes looked good from trailers or how S1 of Haikyuu had a good impression etc.

DiGiKerot

Oh no, I meant like expectations from notable shows. Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I remember stuff like that in older OT's. For instance for OPM, we could have some comments about the manga and how the action scenes looked good from trailers or how S1 of Haikyuu had a good impression etc.

The situation you get into with that is that there is an alarming tendency for shows that people are really hyped for to end up sucking - I mean, right now, as much as One Punch Man is living up to expectations, we also have a remarkably lukewarm reaction to the new series of Garo despite the first season being generally very well received. Then there's stuff like Hackadoll that I largely doubt anyone expected to get any real kind of entertainment value out of, which is actually surprisingly good.

Not that I don't get what you mean or see the use for you are suggesting, but pre-series hype can very quickly become deceptive if not kept up-to-date with the reality of the show that is actually airing, especially if it's mostly coming from a couple of people really high on an adaptation of a light novel they happen to like which is, actually, kind of a terrible book...

Holy. Crap. I wake up to 4 pages of this. Now let me give 2 suggestions. This coming from other threads and such. I like the idea of having more community interaction.

A specific community that I'm in does something that is super easy and fun, the TOTP (Top of the Page) recommendation. Whenever there is a new page, the poster that is at the very top writes a simple recommendation for the community. Doesn't have to be complex or anything, and it wouldn't even have to be a show that is airing this season. As a matter of fact it would be nice if the TOTP recommendation WASN'T from this season at all. For example yesterday there was a quick mention of From the New World. That made me realize that I hadn't fully watched that show and it made me put it on my queue.

Another cool idea, since the problem came because of how the OP is structured is have the best user quote in it WEEKLY for each show. This would require a tiny bit of work each week, but either mods or whoever wrote the OP each week could update the quote that goes up on the OP, making it a more relevant post since it would have only the best of the best posts of the week up there. It would make the users write more useful "reviews" for the episodes, and it would be fun just to see who makes it up there every week.

I'm just appalled at how bad the art and animation was. Theres that one scene in episode 3 where its like 2-3 minutes of Tai and Agumon in darkness and the whole silhouette has a Photoshop emboss filter applied to it and I was just like are you kidding me Toei.

fertygo

The situation you get into with that is that there is an alarming tendency for shows that people are really hyped for to end up sucking - I mean, right now, as much as One Punch Man is living up to expectations, we also have a remarkably lukewarm reaction to the new series of Garo despite the first season being generally very well received. Then there's stuff like Hackadoll that I largely doubt anyone expected to get any real kind of entertainment value out of, which is actually surprisingly good.

Not that I don't get what you mean or see the use for you are suggesting, but pre-series hype can very quickly become deceptive if not kept up-to-date with the reality of the show that is actually airing, especially if it's mostly coming from a couple of people really high on an adaptation of a light novel they happen to like which is, actually, kind of a terrible book...

Noragami S2 also slammed a lot after fairly liked S1

I'm just appalled at how bad the art and animation was. Theres that one scene in episode 3 where its like 2-3 minutes of Tai and Agumon in darkness and the whole silhouette has a Photoshop emboss filter applied to it and I was just like are you kidding me Toei.

Its Toei, what did you expect.

True we would need to make sure that the statement is somewhat accurate but it doesn't have to be too in depth. When I first came here, OT was initially very useful in getting me into new shows but nowadays I look at the community's reaction more.

Stuff like this:

Reasons to Watch Out: Gentle stories about the interaction between humans and gods, presented with a relaxing supernatural atmosphere? Sign me up! The staff is nothing special but the trailer looks promising.

Reasons to Watch Out: It's quite likely that the story will be borderline incoherent, but the animation of Ryo-chimo's web-gen team will make for a crazy spectacle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When this thread was going to reach the end of its life I was going to ask for feedback on what worked in the OP and what didn't for the next OP but since certain individuals saw it better to drag my name through the mud for no reason I guess the conversation has been brought forward. I find the problem with a lot of OPs is they are full of waffle and too long and just encourage a lot of scrolling. I wanted to try and make it clean and concise which is what I hoped I had achieved. So being told everything in it is a load of bollocks isn't exactly the nicest thing to wake up to. Oh but I guess I'm not allowed to make OP ever again so whatever.

Yes, I realise the summaries were sometimes lacking. It was one of those things (along with the missing VIZ logo) that I've been meaning to correct when I had the time. The description for Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen was always bugging me. But honestly, if it was a major priority causing apparent distress you could have just PM'd me (instead of making it a public spectacle). I've been cleaning up other bits like the schedule (which I had to readjust when day light savings ended) so I have no problem making edits to the OP.

I agree quotes can be added. Got a bit annoyed with myself when I asked three weeks in for what people were watching for forgetting to ask if everyone could add that a few words to say what they like about the show. Episode reviews aren't that easy to use for quotes because they are usually just about that episode rather than the show as a whole.

I'll look into making changes to the OP when I get home tonight. I would appreciate it that I'm actually given a chance to respond first next time before all the hearsay goes out of control.

For all those who stuck up for me and had nice things to say through the various avenues: thank you. It means a lot.

fertygo

I'll always appreciate your effort BGBW and enjoy your other post too, I feel bad if the past day souring you and hoping you won't leave us or something like that.
A ton of effort is clear from that OP and your other post involving image editing.

Its very fucking random like I said previously, with non irresponsible person quoting your OP like that and its threatening this thread afterward, just really bad day hit us all.

I really liked the OP, albeit more for the nice image editing, clarity and just feeling 'hearty'.

As a regular here I simply do not look at the OPs much other than the streaming schedule perhaps and getting the initial overview. I understand though that for those that need the OP to be more informative with their synopsis about shows, even if we don't know much early on, this is a bit lacking.

If one were to add slightly more elaborate synopses it may be useful to separate them from the initial title + image for clarity's sake. Though someone might rightfully say why a link to some synopsis somewhere else wouldn't suffice at that point...

One could also try to convey AnimeGAFs anticipation for shows a bit better perhaps. However, there's so much subjectivity there and who's to decide what ultimately goes in the OP.

BGBW I think the OP was fine. We are all on the inside so my opinion might be a bit biased, I saw it as nothing but good fun. One can totally see you put a lot of work into it too. I could totally see how maybe outsiders could be mislead, but I mean how many new members are part of these forums now anyway? I can't say I've been a part of this community for a long time and I had no problem adjusting. People around here are nice, and whenever someone asks for recommendations everyone helps.

pbayne

BGBW I think the OP was fine. We are all on the inside so my opinion might be a bit biased, I saw it as nothing but good fun. One can totally see you put a lot of work into it too. I could totally see how maybe outsiders could be mislead, but I mean how many new members are part of these forums now anyway? I can't say I've been a part of this community for a long time and I had no problem adjusting. People around here are nice, and whenever someone asks for recommendations everyone helps.

Yep Id be of the same opinion.

I only started posting recently too and just saw the OP as a bit of light hearted fun. Plus Gaf-chan is amazing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy. Crap. I wake up to 4 pages of this. Now let me give 2 suggestions. This coming from other threads and such. I like the idea of having more community interaction.

A specific community that I'm in does something that is super easy and fun, the TOTP (Top of the Page) recommendation. Whenever there is a new page, the poster that is at the very top writes a simple recommendation for the community. Doesn't have to be complex or anything, and it wouldn't even have to be a show that is airing this season. As a matter of fact it would be nice if the TOTP recommendation WASN'T from this season at all. For example yesterday there was a quick mention of From the New World. That made me realize that I hadn't fully watched that show and it made me put it on my queue.

Another cool idea, since the problem came because of how the OP is structured is have the best user quote in it WEEKLY for each show. This would require a tiny bit of work each week, but either mods or whoever wrote the OP each week could update the quote that goes up on the OP, making it a more relevant post since it would have only the best of the best posts of the week up there. It would make the users write more useful "reviews" for the episodes, and it would be fun just to see who makes it up there every week.
One problem is 50pp or 100pp (50 is the superior option)

As for updating the OP, I don't think anyone reads the OP the day after it's posted. Maybe this might get people to check it again, but I would be confident in assuming that the majority of the people who post/read this thread don't think about the OP once the season starts.

When this thread was going to reach the end of its life I was going to ask for feedback on what worked in the OP and what didn't for the next OP but since certain individuals saw it better to drag my name through the mud for no reason I guess the conversation has been brought forward. I find the problem with a lot of OPs is they are full of waffle and too long and just encourage a lot of scrolling. I wanted to try and make it clean and concise which is what I hoped I had achieved. So being told everything in it is a load of bollocks isn't exactly the nicest thing to wake up to. Oh but I guess I'm not allowed to make OP ever again so whatever.
This is why I think your OP works. You could have large banner images and lots of text, but I just feel like it's effort that would be put to better use - particularly after shows have come out and people can have informed opinions instead of just staffwhoring or guessing at what is worth talking about.

Tell me that ANYONE could have predicted Shimoneta being at least a marginally interesting show before it aired.

Felt like some of it was throwing someone under the bus.
Yes, to make a point about anime fandom that makes no sense. Particularly when sports fandom is probably even more exclusive and actively encourages racism, misogyny and homophobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom