• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priz

Haha yeah I've heard that CH3 isn't as well regarded as the first two however I'm just really missing the characters banter and I'm really craving more. I'm really needing a good smile right now. I'm a massive City Hunter fan so I really want to just finish the whole thing, and although you could say that CH2 is the end and move on, I'm finding it hard to resist! The OP for CH3 is so damn fun too :D

I loved that Kaori episode, man it must have been absolutely phenomenal to watch CH back in the day on VHS, renting the tapes and gossiping about each episode, man I'm very envious of that! Must have been an amazing experience.
I understand and relate 100%. I still need to sit down and watch all the movies... So many memories, so many insane crazy stories from back then... we all went through so much over the years...

I LOVE all the CH music! I can't remember what I've posted but during CH1's run TM Network went to LA to do some work and James Christensen said to me at one of the meetings after he gave me a copy of their music video collection (which I loved) "Hey, TM Network is doing a concert in Los Angeles." I was still in high school and never even thought of doing a ~400 mile/6 hour drive to LA... these days would have gladly done it, but back then... then we all got into PSY-S when City Hunter 2 came out and were watching their concert laserdiscs at the lunch break between anime and all into them, To-y, Barbee Boys, SHOW-YA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXEVQ-0B8k

The guy from PSY-S who did the song Angel Night for the City Hunter 2 OP and the music for To-y is Masaya Matsuura. When he came to the US to promote Umjammer Lammy and Vib Ribbon at the GDC in 2000, people cut in front of me to tell him they were his oldest fans of his work in America since Parappa the Rapper in 1996 and he politely/professionally thanked them. I then told him how we were fans of his band PSY-S and their work on City Hunter 2 and To-y since 1988 and his jaw just hung open in shock.

During one rainy anime club meeting in San Jose, the son of one of the owners of Nikaku brought in the City Hunter board game and they translated the rules. If your Ryo developed 4 "mokkori" incidents during the game you were out. I bought the game and asked for a copy of the rules they made so I could play it again but they lost them so I never played it since that one time... :(

i feel your pain

Anime is really good. Don't ever touch the manga.

If you want more shit like that, though, you should watch Barakamon, next. I actually vastly prefer Barakamon. It's such a feel-good show.

The Barakamon manga has the same kind of ending as the Usagi Drop manga ending.

javac

I understand and relate 100%. I still need to sit down and watch all the movies... So many memories, so many insane crazy stories from back then... we all went through so much over the years...

I LOVE all the CH music! I can't remember what I've posted but during CH1's run TM Network went to LA to do some work and James Christensen said to me at one of the meetings after he gave me a copy of their music video collection (which I loved) "Hey, TM Network is doing a concert in Los Angeles." I was still in high school and never even thought of doing a ~400 mile/6 hour drive to LA... these days would have gladly done it, but back then... then we all got into PSY-S when City Hunter 2 came out and were watching their concert laserdiscs at the lunch break between anime and all into them, To-y, Barbee Boys, SHOW-YA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXEVQ-0B8k

The guy from PSY-S who did the song Angel Night for the City Hunter 2 OP and the music for To-y is Masaya Matsuura. When he came to the US to promote Umjammer Lammy and Vib Ribbon at the GDC in 2000, people cut in front of me to tell him they were his oldest fans of his work in America since Parappa the Rapper in 1996 and he politely/professionally thanked them. I then told him how we were fans of his band PSY-S and their work on City Hunter 2 and To-y since 1988 and his jaw just hung open in shock.

During one rainy anime club meeting in San Jose, the son of one of the owners of Nikaku brought in the City Hunter board game and they translated the rules. If your Ryo developed 4 "mokkori" incidents during the game you were out. I bought the game and asked for a copy of the rules they made so I could play it again but they lost them so I never played it since that one time... :(

Man, nobody really talks about shows like CH so seeing you fan out over CH is making me smile, anyone who likes CH is cool in my book. Like you said, the music in CH is a massive part in making the show so good and so fun. All of the OP and ED's, the background music, its all phenomenal and I have it all on repeat constantly. You actually recommended To-y to me not too long ago and I watched it so thanks for that recommendation, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was but again the music from PSY-S is what made it so fun to watch. They did some interesting stuff with the visuals, definitely an interesting OVA and captures that time well.

It's funny that you say that because when I personally found out that Masaya Matsuura was the same person who worked on the games like Vib-Ribbon it blew my mind, such an interesting and talented person. From j-pop to video games. I bet he was surprised to see a fan that followed his work that far back!

Your stories are really fascinating, I love hearing about them. Must have been an amazing time, to be around while it all happened, cool stuff. The board game sounds cool too, shame about the rules and shame about the TM Network concert, I'm sure that would have been fun to go to, their work on the CH tracks are awesome :(

Gvitor

Bakemonogatari 01-02

This is one weird show. The real life scenes in it are so weird but they somehow don't feel that out of place because the art style is already weird by itself. The talks about
vampires
and whatnot felt like stuff that already happened before that I should know, but I'm trusting Corn's Owarimonogatari OT that this is the first one to watch.

Also it's fucking impossible to read anything in the wall of text 1-second screens.

I did like it though. Senjougahara was great.

Clannad After Story 07-09

Yukine's story... ehrm... yeah, that happened. At least it was short. Didn't really like it. I don't think there's any side character left for them to do a tragic short arc... again.

09, though, that was great. Love me some Nagisa. Hopefully this gets better now. I watched Clannad so fast and this one is taking me forever.

FutureCard Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 26 [SUB]

Sad the dub isnt continuing currently, its so strange hearing the JPN voices people sound older than they ought to be and such, like Baks and Gao. Shido still sounds alright in the JPN. Overall all the english vas were far superior, even the narrator of the game was too. The JPN voice sounds bored.

Anyway episode duel with Ikazuchi. He will forever be a favorite with that Yamigedo.

Best character got a good scene though. TeamNoboru.
CQWVwd4UcAEpxK8.jpg

javac

why is everyone watching bakemonogatari all of a sudden

I mean...the sequel or whatever is coming out so it makes sense that people will want to catch up. I can't stand the franchise, the way it looks and all it represents personally but its huge and massively popular, that much is for certain.

Narag

Kagewani 1

Yeah I'm onboard with this already. Same kind of atmosphere here as the director gave the first season of Yamishibai. Show has a similar visual aesthetic too as it has the same paper type animation albiet much more refined and coupled with some digital effects work. Wasn't entirely sure where it was headed but the hook at the end feels like a great place to start for something short and serialized.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mean...Monogatari stuff has had new seasons over and over again. This is an odd time for a new season to be a catalyst to watch the series. And the PV was more stuff about fakes stacked up against the genuine article, a tale promising to be told in the exciting format of Araragi sitting in a classroom one on one with a mysterious girl. What could be more thrilling, especially in the context of the increasingly unremarkable production the series has seen over time?

Cornbread78

Bakemonogatari 01-02

This is one weird show. The real life scenes in it are so weird but they somehow don't feel that out of place because the art style is already weird by itself. The talks about
vampires
and whatnot felt like stuff that already happened before that I should know, but I'm trusting Corn's Owarimonogatari OT that this is the first one to watch.
Also it's fucking impossible to read anything in the wall of text 1-second screens.

Clannad After Story 07-09

Yukine's story... ehrm... yeah, that happened. At least it was short. Didn't really like it. I don't think there's any side character left for them to do a tragic short arc... again.

09, though, that was great. Love me some Nagisa. Hopefully this gets better now. I watched Clannad so fast and this one is taking me forever.

Welcome to awesome with Bake. It's a long road of twists and turn to catch up to Owari, but it's worth it.

Clannad After Story:
Yes, you are about to enter greatness. Remember, if you can block off 3 hours to watch anime, try to marathon ep.15-end. It plays so well in a marathon and really deepens the impact and depending how sensitive you are, it can only help.

Jarmel

Banned
The Making of Little Witch Academia 2 aka Shirobako 2: The Suffering
IvCOIUo.jpg
3myLsKo.jpg

That realization that dawns on his face when he realizes how screwed he is.
So this is the 3rd documentary coming out of Trigger on the production of anime. They produced one for the first LWA and two separate ones for KLK. While I don't think they're necessarily reflective of the industry as many studios operate differently, Kyoto Animation for example operates somewhat uniquely partially due to how effective their production scheduling is, they do give a glimpse into general practices of studios. So unlike the previous ones, this was almost exclusively focused on the storyboard and keyframe side. It felt a bit more 'advanced' than the other ones as the explanations were more complicated in explaining what separated good animation from great animation.
For example the above sequence was Yoshinari explaining why a rough version of the tomato fight in LWA2 wasn't conveying the proper force due to things such as a shift in the center of gravity. The video later breaks down the center of gravity shifts, and compares it to the original version. This is much better than the previous documentaries as it increases comprehension with the audience as to the improvements instead of the usual overlapping or splitscreen comparisons. It also served as a good insight into what high level animators look for.
I found the 'Yoshinari Animation Meetings' aspect very interesting as it looks closer to a traditional class/lecture which is something I would have expected him to do during the first OVA due to the Anime Mirai aspect. Instead, he starts it now when there are no teaching pressures for him to fulfill. It's possible the first LWA pushed forward his drive for instructing. I was happy about the fact that they used newcomers for the sequel as it keeps in the learning spirit of the first LWA.
17gauBR.jpg

This dude looked like he was doing a little puff puff on the side though.
The documentary gives a little glimpse into the making of the storyboards and there were no jails involved! I wish this segment was a bit longer but I understand it's mostly a mental battle on Yoshinari's part and isn't exactly exciting to watch. Still though it's spellbinding as the storyboards are in many ways the foundation of an episode. The artist is turning a bunch of words into visuals and by doing so, can control the direction and flow of the work. I feel like this is one of the harder things to do in anime production as the animator is in some ways creating something from scratch.
This bit was engrossing but it ties into one of my larger issues with LWA2, Akko's tantrum. The way it's explained here made me come to grips with it in that Akko isn't bailed out and even the conversation with Diana isn't so much a pep-talk. Akko kickstarts her own engines and comes up with a solution on her own. I really didn't appreciate that aspect when I first watched it. I'm guessing the Diana and library scene were somewhat late changes but they are critical for character development.
So Kaneko painted the storyboards for the first LWA and he did so for the 2nd one. This is highly unusual inside the industry but I guess it helps the animators and possibly other staff to know what feelings the director wants out of a scene. The emphasis on colors for the lighting gave me a greater level of regard for certain scenes such as Lotte in her room. I really wanted the cameraman to spend more time on Kaneko because of how great he is despite Yoshinari's quibblings. He's a fantastic art director and continues to do amazing work on the backgrounds. This will almost certainly be a highlight in whatever Trigger's next work is.
The next segment was pretty funny as it's mainly most of the animators hitting different roadblocks creatively. It was neat catching up on the old ex-newbie animators and seeing their progress. Both Yuto Kaneko and Shuhei Handa look much more confident and skilled compared to two years ago, which is to be expected considering the number of projects they've worked on since. Of course Little Witch Academia wouldn't be Little Witch Academia without massive amounts of suffering on the parts of the animators so they weren't exactly in the best of spirits.
gN7yb5S.jpg
Q2Wp5q9.jpg

Everybody getting snippy. lol
The final part was the last minute rush to deliver and it really did seem like a last minute rush. This part stood out in contrast to the first LWA, in that seemingly everybody was being brought in to finish the movie. This is different from the first LWA as Anime Mirai put in a restriction that the work had to be done by a fixed number of people. I remember Yoshinari was concerned during the production of the first one, as to whether they would finish on time because they couldn't do the usual process of bringing other people in at the end, so I guess it forced better planning compared to this one. LWA2 had a much more traditional production in this regard. There was even a driving segment ala Shirobako to deliver the finished key animation. I wanted them to delve more in the outsourcing side and see how they dealt with outside key animators though. It also would have been nice for them to follow up with post premiere changes and how that was handled.
As an aside, they brought up Tadashi Hiramatsu who I wasn't particularly familiar with. I had seen cuts of his before, such as the above scene, but I didn't know that he was that highly regarded. He was mentioned as a mentor to Imaishi and Yoshinari which was good to know as I wasn't knowledgeable on who influenced both of them in Gainax itself. You can also see Sushio has picked up elements of Hiramatsu's animation such as the thick lines and 'roughing up' the genga. This must have been a big moment for Yoshinari in that he was having his mentor help Yoshinari on his own production.
It really does seem like most of these stories in creative industries turn out to be about the suffering of the creators doesn't it?

javac

Haven't even opened my amaray up yet but I guess I'll watch the documentary one day, after I also watch LWA2...also one day in the distant future.

Quasar

Bakemonogatari 01-02

vampires

The fast walls of text was something that put me off initially. At some point though I just decided to enjoy it without trying to read it all.

I may be the only one here but I really dislike Senjougahara from the Monogatari series. Every time she shows up my enjoyability of the series drops. I completely find her personality aggravating and obnoxious. Compared to most of the girls she's the bottom of the barrel.

It's just something about tsunderes that grind my gears.

Quasar

For fellow Aussies/Kiwis.

Streaming service Animelab added some other streaming options. Apps on Sony devices (including a annoying Sony exclusive AndroidTV app) as well as TV focused web interface that works with the PS4 browser (maybe the XBone one too). The tv web page is at www.animelab.com/tv.

They also started their new announcements with:

The Asterisk War
Noragami Aragoto
K: Return of Kings
The Testament of Sister New Devil BURST
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Anti-Magic Academy 35th Test Platoon
Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid
Chivalry of a Failed Knight

I may be the only one here but I really dislike Senjougahara from the Monogatari series. Every time she shows up my enjoyability of the series drops. I completely find her personality aggravating and obnoxious. Compared to most of the girls she's the bottom of the barrel.

Senjougahara is the best girl in the series in my opinion. Hanekawa comes second, but back to what I was gonna say, I don't think she falls into the tsundere category persay, she has a pretty unpredictable personality it's all. One minute you are talking, the next you have an x-acto millimeters away from cutting the inside of your mouth. That kind of unpredictability.

why is everyone watching bakemonogatari all of a sudden

I finished Gintama and picked Monogatari next. I didn't even know what Owari was at that point or that it was this season, just chance.

How can you possibly be so wrong?

Kagewani 01

Might be cool. Easy to watch such a short show.

Busaiku

So the music in Arise isn't anywhere near as good as Standalone Complex, but I expected as much.
What's bugging me in terms of sound though are the footsteps. Are cyborgs actually horses.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 142
Mendou staff + Ryoko stagehands!
No one pays attention on Onsen Mark engrish classes, but they did well when the setting of the play suddenly changed to the old west, with everyone speaking in engrish with some japanese.

Fafner: Exodus S2 01

That's just not fucking fair. You can't fucking start off an S2 like that.

Goddamn, that just ruined my night.

Did they
just kill off some character/characters in a brutal way?

I remember the original didn't shy away from death. The original had a kid get crushed to death in a manner similar to the way Broly's father died.

duckroll

Apologies if this was posted earlier, but Viz uploaded a short One-Punch Man interview with Shingo Natsume, and it touches a bit on the production process, showing off a few storyboards and some genga. Worth a quick watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efCPVqkL9Q

I really hope nothing goes wrong.

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

:/

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

:/

once more and you woulda had it!

Articalys

Ah right, I'm so used to being on the receiving end of Youtube region blocks (thanks Aniplex!) that sometimes I forget stuff the U.S. can see gets blocked in other countries.
Sorry. There's probably a rip of the video floating around online somewhere.

edit: there's this reupload from some random person on dailymotion

What's AnimeGaf's general consensus on Fafner? I might start watching it if it's any good.

I don't know about others, but my opinion of it is:

Dead Aggressor (TV) - Extremely rough start, but gets better maybe 40% through. Overall, average to decent.
Right of Left (Prequel OVA) - Good standalone story that doesn't involve main cast.
Heaven and Earth (Sequel movie) - Great. The more modern art style and shift to CG mecha are a huge improvement over the original series.
Exodus (Sequel TV) - Fucking great so far.

Did they
just kill off some character/characters in a brutal way?

I remember the original didn't shy away from death. The original had a kid get crushed to death in a manner similar to the way Broly's father died.

Yes. The kicker?
He got shot, straight through the cockpit, by what he thought were reinforcements sent to help them. Didn't even get to go out in a straight fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom