• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a shitty attitude to take. If everybody thought this way, too many amazing projects would just never happen. Pledge smartly and do your research but even if you get burned once in a while, the world is still a better place due to Kickstarter/Indiegogo

I understand that Kickstarter has lead to some great things, but the process itself has always felt really risky to me. I've just never felt comfortable with it.

I'll only back a Kickstarter if it's something I really want.

The Blackjack OP is the best piece of comedy this season has given us so far.

mtZYCW2.jpg

My sides.

This killed me completely. So goddamn amazing.

javac

I think they could have done a few pretty minor things to negate any ill feelings without compromising their ability to sell the product in Japan. No one expected to get LWA1 as a reward, so that part doesn't matter. Having a good artbook and a unique slipcase for the LE would have been fine. Also, they probably should not have promised an audio commentary if they had no plans to record one. :p

In the end it was all about expectations and I think they failed on that with regards to the rewards. They created expectations which they didn't meet. The short itself is great, so the Kickstarter itself wasn't a waste, but outcome of the extra rewards is definitely somewhat disappointing.

Agreed on all points. I touched upon the lackluster (as so far missing) art-book and the lack of the advertised audio commentary so I share your sentiments there. The art-book should have been better, and hell even having it hardback at the very least would have been nice. As it stands, its very similar to the type of book you get with a LE Nintendo game. The audio commentary would have been a legitimate cool addition that would have added additional value to the product. Now whether or not its omission is down to lack of time or them just straight up forgetting, we'll never know.

I've still not seen the short itself, but from what I've heard its great and the documentary seems like a compelling watch and although the line art-book could and should of had better presentation (hardback, fancier cover), the contents themselves are nice enough. I think that the product itself is for all intents and purposes fine, but feels rushed at the finishing line. I would have gladly waited a bit longer for a more refined package. They should have at least matched the packaging of the first, which was what I was expecting. The douga is nice, I guess.

duckroll

I understand that Kickstarter has lead to some great things, but the process itself has always felt really risky to me. I've just never felt comfortable with it.

I don't find Kickstarter risky at all. I think it depends a lot on the perspective you approach crowdfunding and what you expect out of it. It's certainly not for everyone. Even with disappointments and delays, I don't consider any of the projects I backed to have failed.

Narag

Lupin III (2015) 1
Not that I've really seen enough to make this call but this felt like classic Lupin with modern production values so here's hoping for the best.

Lupin III Part 2 - 1
I was thinking about the earlier conversation concerning the Lupin cast as I watched this one. It's neat for using a character from the first series (first episode even!) as the impetus to get the band back together after five years. Everyone feels like they're given a light re-introduction in this as Goemon is first shown demonstrating his combat skills, Jigen his marksmanship, and Fujiko taking advantage of the men fawning over her.

We even get a bit of the somewhat warm relationship between Zenigata and Lupin with the former being happy to see Lupin again. When the crew thinks Zenigata died later in the ep, they eulogize him and recognize it as an actual loss as the chase isn't quite the same without their pursuer. I'd seen some people question Zenigata's placement at the end of the 2015 show's OP but I thought it was natural given the alliances that have formed in the Lupin stuff I've seen as well as the affection shown by both parties to the hunt as well as one another. He might be on the other side of things but he's still family albeit the tag-along little brother. To add to that, that last bit looks like it's on a sound stage and is really reminiscent of a promotional cast photo more than anything so it's not entirely out of line for him to be there.

Lupin III Part 2 - 2
Long con reminiscent of the S1 prison ep crossed with The Town. Also, I'm pretty sure Jesus blessed Lupin for being a bro.

Lupin III Part 2 - 3
Nothing really stood out about this one outside of the setting. I always forget there even was an East Germany at one point given how long it's been defunct now so seeing it and the Berlin Wall being so prominent in the ep was just strange given how far removed I am from it all.

Young Black Jack 1
Ugly as sin and it did the character a disservice by dancing around the medical stuff (bloodless surgery?!) but it wasn't bad, just really sort of average. Will continue and hope Takahashi's hand turn this into this year's Gifu Dodou

Heavy Object 1

I'm sure nothing quite spreads fear on the battlefield like a tank called Baby Magnum.

Show might have potential. Depends on where it goes.

Gonna stick around for a bit.

Defuser

Heavy Object ep 1
This show is by the author of the Index series so I'm not surprise if some people don't like what he writes.

I liked it enough as long as it gives me action, I don't care how ugly the mechs looks like.

Crocodile

The failures tend to get a shitton of publicity but overall its not that risky if you do your actual research and are aware of what a solid project looks like which becomes easier and easier everyday. You do have to be willing to weather delays and set backs and you have to be comfortable with the small chances things goes belly up. I will admit not everybody seems to take well to crowdfunding. Nonetheless, overall, its been a very productive funding model.

As much we might whine about that theatrical release, at the end of the day, assuming the Blu-Ray reaches my apartment sans issue, Trigger will have delivered basically all its promises to me. I paid money to get LWA made, it got made and it was good. While I'd appreciate a collection of LWA1 & 2 and extra goodies, they didn't promise them to me. Think of it as being a 1st day adopter. While quick price drops can be annoying, can we really complain if someone gets to show up months later and get a better deal for the game we paid $60 for?

I will agree with duckroll that, to generate/maintain good will, they should have gone the extra mile to make sure the kickstarter version of the product is extra enticing. Most kickstarters nowadays offer EXCLUSIVE backer rewards or extras to really incentivize pledges. Hopefully Trigger learns from these errors if they do more crowdfunding in the future. I'm guessing they really haven't been looking at what others are doing which I can understand, unfortunately, since Kickstarter is still a primarily Western thing.

Also, what ever DID happen to that audio commentary? Did anyone ask them about that?

duckroll

Noragami Aragoto - Episode 1

Pretty good start to a new season. It reintroduces the characters and premise without being boring for those already familiar with the series. Lots of foreshadowing for the rest of this story arc taking place throughout the episode, fun random stuff like the baby monster. I love seeing Yato used as a stepping mat. The OP and ED are both really nice parallels to the ones from the first season, especially the ED. I would have liked to see more camera rotation stuff in the OP but the action scenes made up for it.

wonzo

Banned
k s1 targeted p. much every audience imaginable so nothings really changed. it is the most pedestrian shite ever produced in the anime industry

Lupin the Third 01

That OP song is ridiculously terrible.

Well, I guess this and 2015's intros are both low on the exposition side aside from Zenigata. I am not sure if the film before this did that or not but it still strikes me as rather weird, both in this and 2015. Aside from that it's a rather weird choice for a first episode, much like the first episode of 2015 the episode starts in the middle of what is actually happening without explaining the details of the heist. Which is fine I suppose, but in nearly every heist/crime series I can think of, lots of detail is given into the set up and planning and it didn't seem like they really had a plan other then to win the reward. It just doesn't gel well with me. I suppose it's fairly easy to tell the character roles anyway.

Anyway this show actually looks pretty good animation wise for its age, compared to something like Fist of the North Star. It also resembles a Western cartoon from the same era in a lot of ways, from the physical humor to the more cartoony presentation.

Also one weird detail about the series is that everyone in this show has hairy knuckles and arms. Like they actually bother to draw that. I don't think I've ever seen that.

Animation in K Return of Kings 01 was Ufotable quality... or better? I was really impressed... could've done without the random hilarious fanservice moments, though.

wonzo

Banned
kagewani 1

this was dope, really looking forward to a yamishibai-esque show with an overarching plot!

hacka doll 1

dumb fun trashy sakuga short show. great op animated by the same dude that did the two ads for the app

Mailbox

Op is... whatever. Not bad, but the song used is so weirdly contrasting whats shown.

Just the fact that the incident even happened is so fucking bizarre.
So many people around and not one jumps to get the kid to safety? Basically the cause of the incident is bullshit, but whatever.

This episode felt rushed. It felt like it kinda put 40 minutes of material in a 22 minute format. If this was a second or 3rd episode i would have written it off as being unrefined, but as a first episode its unfortunately lacking.

That said, i was entertained though out. No complaints for the art and animation, though you do notice the differences between the tooney character designs and "can never keep his shirt on" black jack.

Not a shining first episode, but i see potential here.

Mailbox

[Kizumonogatari]

Based on the subtitle, I'd say three parts: "Tekketsu Hen", "Nekketsu Hen" and "Reiketsu Hen".
Seems overkill. Peter Jackson, why.

(Wonder how long they'll be...)

oh god you just made me imagine a hobbit anime done by shaft.
why did i have to imagine that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom