• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikudo

Banned
Oh, I know. But if he hates drama and or romance, then I can't rec something great like Plastic Memories....

Oh I do enjoy romance and drama anime, but bailed after 1 ep of Plastic Memories. I really hate the infantilization of female characters.

Either way, I second that From the new World (Shin Sekai Yori) suggestion and I'll just add 'Nana' as well.

Nana sounds interesting, thanks.

Line_HTX

Oh I do enjoy romance and drama anime, but bailed after 1 ep of Plastic Memories. I really hate the infantilization of female characters.

Yes, Nana should be what you're looking for because the characters are adults dealing with the real world.

A one of a kind.

pbayne

Im actually near finished Nana and...yeah. Its brilliant but make sure you're in a happy place before watching it. Its quite a heavy watch.

Heya AnimeGaf! Need some recommendations for non-creepy, loli, ecchi type anime shows from this season and the previous one. :)

Previous stuff I enjoyed:
Kino's Journey
Mushishi
Ping Pong
Flowers of Evil
Yahari no ore
Madoka obviously
Ore Monogatari
HxH
Birdy the Mighty
Barakamon

Stuff I hate:
Clannad

Basically the handful of good shows each season with a decent story and ok characters. Thanks :p

Oh and shows that might have LGBT characters is always a plus.

Go watch the old Fafner series (2004), the OVA prequel (2005), and the sequel movie (2010) so you can watch the currently airing sequel. Literally AOTS.

Rikudo

Banned
Im actually near finished Nana and...yeah. Its brilliant but make sure you're in a happy place before watching it. Its quite a heavy watch.

Oh I'm just a depressed, social anxiety riddled... close to agoraphobia , gay, lonely dude. I'll probably be fine lol.

One problem is 50pp or 100pp (50 is the superior option)

As for updating the OP, I don't think anyone reads the OP the day after it's posted. Maybe this might get people to check it again, but I would be confident in assuming that the majority of the people who post/read this thread don't think about the OP once the season starts..

Maybe, might be true, but this whole problem came about because of the OP right? Although my idea does sound like a bit of too much work for nothing, just like you said it would actually make folks want to check out the OP more often. "Who had the best review postthis week for Haikyuu"? It'd be a fun competition in itself and more quality posts would come from this too. I'm a victim of writing braindead impressions simply because I'm in it more to discuss what I watched with others than I am of giving my opinion. Maybe these weekly top impression posts could be at the bottom of the OP, spoilered, but it's just an idea to make the OP relevant for others, and for us the active members too.

Starmyu Episode 8

Why is Akatsuki so against Team Otori trying to disrupt High School Musicals for the better. Its far better to provide a contemporary take on tradition which isnt dishonoring Ayanagi but enhancing it, reinvigorating the brand, and lighting up social media. They are starting a new trend even. Akatsuki is a good design but that aspect of him leaves so much to be desired ugh.

Stardust Rebellion will be great, can't wait to see how Team Otori pulls through. And more Kuga please.Best outfit.
CUg3eI9WIAAKnh2.png

Hattori

Banned
Heya AnimeGaf! Need some recommendations for non-creepy, loli, ecchi type anime shows from this season and the previous one. :)

Kino's Journey
Mushishi
Ping Pong
Flowers of Evil
Yahari no ore
Madoka obviously
Ore Monogatari
HxH
Birdy the Mighty
Barakamon

Stuff I hate:
Clannad

Basically the handful of good shows each season with a decent story and ok characters. Thanks :p

Maison Ikkoku
Yuyushiki
Hyouka
Lupin S1
Serial Experiments Lain
Paradise Kiss

Oh I'm just a depressed, social anxiety riddled... close to agoraphobia , gay, lonely dude. I'll probably be fine lol.

Yeh you'll be fine. There's even funny facial expressions!

---

Also, as we were talking about good close up face/eyes shots some time ago, Nana's got those, too. Same director as Chihayafuruu. Morio Asaka. He seems to have perfected them.

Shouta

May I request not being called faecal matter in the future.

Hyperbole on my part.

There really is nothing wrong with your work. It was the descriptions as I said. The other mods thought the graphics were pretty nice as well actually but yeah the descriptions. That really falls to the entire thread for not actually pointing it out or talking to you about it. Personally, I consider OPs a responsibility of the community and not any single individual user.

Rikudo

Banned
Yeh you'll be fine. There's even funny facial expressions!

---

Also, as we were talking about good close up face/eyes shots some time ago, Nana's got those, too. Same director as Chihayafuruu. Morio Asaka. He seems to have perfected them.

Oh god, bestest anime. Now I'm hyped.

Hyperbole on my part.

There really is nothing wrong with your work. It was the descriptions as I said. The other mods thought the graphics were pretty nice as well actually but yeah the descriptions. That really falls to the entire thread for not actually pointing it out or talking to you about it. Personally, I consider OPs a responsibility of the community and not any single individual user.

And why does the animeGAF OP has suddenly higher standards to meet than all the other threads in the community board?

The Comic OT (to name one of the btter OTs) has only the names and oversized pictures of the incoming releases while the anime OT suddenly needs accurate descriptions of all the titles, while most of them are even unknown to us because the anime are original titles or the source material is Japan only.

Hyperbole on my part.

Just to point out, the summer 2015 anime OT that charlequin pointed to in the other thread as an example of what he would like to see in anime OPs has no descriptions of shows whatsoever. Past OPs have also featured either no descriptions or oblique comments that don't provide much information as to what a show is. People have criticized OPs from time to time, but usually haven't gone "you must change this now", and that conversation only lasts the first or second page before the thread moves on. Since no moderation guidance has been given up to now, even from moderators who post in these threads, I think you could understand why people in this community wouldn't see it as a problem that needed addressing.

Personally, while I may glance at an OP once, I'll never give it a second thought after that since I do research on anime elsewhere. I assume many people who regularly post here are the same.

I was studing in the weekend and just now read what went down.
I need to go out now so I'll just write something short, like I said before:

Nice OP BGBW, I needed that laugh.

In my opinion the OP was really nice, it could have more information like people said, but the way it was done it was pretty heavy-handed and I was left disappointed with the moderation team and I'll send a message about it to them later.

Ascheroth

Wow, that was a lot to read.
BGBW, don't let this get you down, I like your OP!

Sölf;186500183 said:
Heavy Object 08
So, why the heck did the ending feel like a whole episode was missing inbetween?

So I wasn't the only one. That was really bad.

Kino's Journey
Mushishi
Ping Pong
Flowers of Evil
Yahari no ore
Madoka obviously
Ore Monogatari
HxH
Birdy the Mighty
Barakamon

Stuff I hate:
Clannad

I second Fafner. I'm currently at episode 13 of Exodus and it has been amazing on all fronts. And it's supposedly getting even better.

pbayne

FUCK YEAH!

The new Garo movie isn't a compilation, but a sequel! And they got the director and writer from the first season back!

fuck_yeah.gif

Oh baby, I thought it was a compilation. Dream scenario Leon takes Germans role and mentors the new golden knight. It would complete his story arc as the more mature character he had become at the end of the season.

Shouta

And why does the animeGAF OP has suddenly higher standards to meet than all the other threads in the community board?

The Comic OT (to name one of the btter OTs) has only the names and oversized pictures of the incoming releases while the anime OT suddenly needs accurate descriptions of all the titles, while most of them are even unknown to us because the anime are original titles or the source material is Japan only.

Because I expect it of the anime OT. If you want to complain then go for it but I expect better of us, we're anime fans.

Just to point out, the summer 2015 anime OT that charlequin pointed to in the other thread as an example of what he would like to see in anime OPs has no descriptions of shows whatsoever. Past OPs have also featured either no descriptions or oblique comments that don't provide much information as to what a show is. People have criticized OPs from time to time, but usually haven't gone "you must change this now", and that conversation only lasts the first or second page before the thread moves on. Since no moderation guidance has been given up to now, even from moderators who post in these threads, I think you could understand why people in this community wouldn't see it as a problem that needed addressing.

Personally, while I may glance at an OP once, I'll never give it a second thought after that since I do research on anime elsewhere. I assume many people who regularly post here are the same.

We're actually discussing something about basic guidelines with OTs. That might crop out down the line so we can get everyone on the same page.

For reference, the best OTs to me on the forum were the old FG weekly threads. Like thisVery useful and something that I would use all the time. Enzo used to do a player spotlight as well which was always great.

I like manga-gaf to but it's also really long and could probably be trimmed.

Cornbread78

She goes through a complete transformation between that point and the end of the show. Later episodes of the show are amazing...

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Got a quite a list of stuff to watch, but keep 'em coming.

Anyhow, newer stuff:
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: was pretty good and the 2nd cour starts in Jan.

Barakamon: is an excellent SoL anime

Blast of Tempest: This one was prett good, magic, mystery, drama, action, comedy

Older stuff:

Toradora!: Excellent school-time SoL, drama, romance anime

Cross Game: is much older, but very good drama/ sports anime.

Full Moon wo Sagashite: older, but has quite the emotional impact.

Itazura na Kiss: definately a Shojou series, but very good.

Nodame Cantable: Again, older relationships and very good

Aishiteruze Baby★★: Excellent story and characters

Spice and Wolf: Excellent Romance/Fantasy story

Golden Time: Excellent romance/drama

We're actually discussing something about basic guidelines with OTs. That might crop out down the line so we can get everyone on the same page.

That would be nice. There are times when moderators seem to be enforcing standards that are written down nowhere except in random old threads where issues came up, so any steps towards having a clear moderation policy you can point to would be welcomed by me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe, might be true, but this whole problem came about because of the OP right? Although my idea does sound like a bit of too much work for nothing, just like you said it would actually make folks want to check out the OP more often. "Who had the best review postthis week for Haikyuu"? It'd be a fun competition in itself and more quality posts would come from this too. I'm a victim of writing braindead impressions simply because I'm in it more to discuss what I watched with others than I am of giving my opinion. Maybe these weekly top impression posts could be at the bottom of the OP, spoilered, but it's just an idea to make the OP relevant for others, and for us the active members too.
A year or so ago there was the "why not start a blog" discussion when it came to long posts. lol

When I post a giant review/close reading of a Monogatari series, I have no idea if anyone even cares. I'm fine because I just like doing the actual exercise of doing a close reading (or if you're someone like Corvo, you just want to get out your emotions lol), but if that isn't something that interests you, then I can see why people are easily discouraged and just go for the short/terse response.

(I also still find recap culture to be problematic, but that's a whoooooole other discussion)

The reason why a regular would even read the OP is for the jokes anyway.

I think a lot of the response comes from the fact that it seems that the anime OT was singled out without reason, considering communities from the Sports threads to Giantbomb to specific games get to have jokey OTs that no one actively criticises.

Shouta

I think a lot of the response comes from the fact that it seems that the anime OT was singled out without reason, considering communities from the Sports threads to Giantbomb to specific games get to have jokey OTs that no one actively criticises.

It came up because of the otaku thread and the discussion in there. If I didn't come in here, one of the other mods would have said something.

We get a lot of feedback about OTs being junk, don't assume that this is isolated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It came up because of the otaku thread and the discussion in there. If I didn't come in here, one of the other mods would have said something.

We get a lot of feedback about OTs being junk, don't assume that this is isolated.
Yes, I know. Part of the problem was that it was brought up in a thread that was already highly contentious, without any acknowledgement of the broader issues of OTs on GAF, so I assume posters felt the need to at least question why their community was being singled out even if somewhere behind the scenes, this isn't necessarily the case.

Just for the record BGBW, I think your OP was fine as well.

While I think it could have used a little more refinement regarding the descriptions of some shows, I'm not at all against the kind of humor you were going for.

BGBW's opening is fine to me.

I think the only reason a person would be baffled by it would be if they've literally never seen anime before.

BGBW.....you're the best of us.

Right Stuf 11/23 Deals:
http://www.rightstufanime.com/holiday-sale/Day-12-(11~23)

Nice deals on Chaos;Head, Space Brothers, Funimation Movies (Sakura Wars, Eden of East, Fafner, Tales of Vesparia etc), Guilty Crown etc.

Was about to jump on Fafner, but then realized that the combined price of discounted series and movie separately is still more expensive than the regular S.A.V.E. Edition, which includes both. Guess I'll wait and hope for that to get included eventually.

ibyea

Banned
Yes, I know. Part of the problem was that it was brought up in a thread that was already highly contentious, without any acknowledgement of the broader issues of OTs on GAF, so I assume posters felt the need to at least question why their community was being singled out even if somewhere behind the scenes, this isn't necessarily the case.

yeah this is what I felt.

At this point it's a step in the right direction to change the OTs to be more informative for any passerbys. BGBW's is great though, wasn't necessary to single him out.

Good thing MadP and others are working on the next one, they'll start a template to use in the future that'll please the people that theoretically would shotgun the thread (sounds snarky but I'm being honest). Then we shouldn't have issues with OTs in the near future. A positive came from a negative experience. GAF could have handled it better without all of the judging though.

Shouta

A template is a super good idea by the way. It'll reduce the time needed to create the thread itself so all you'd need to do is collate new content and update links as necessary. That way whoever decides to do the new content can just grab and plug in the necessary elements.

Cornbread78

GAF could have handled it better without all of the judging though.

When it comes to anime around here, this will never happen. I can't say shitting on anime is supported behavior, but it is normal behavior as you can tell... I did finally see someone get banned from one of the Vita threads recently, so obviously, the mods take action as needed, but yeah, look at the total uneducated/ uninformed comments you got in that thread... When it slows down in the office, I'll help fix/create links to update the OP to merge all the links and info TUSR had along with the great detail and graphics BGBW put in. Updating all of that should meet Shouta's and the rest of the mod team's expectations and allow us to keep that BGBW flair intact...

Rikudo

Banned
Nana 1

Now this is really delightful. I like the fact that Nana actually went to get her own place already in the 1st episode, was worried she'd stay with Shoji for too many eps. Interesting how both characters are named Nana, and have contrasting personalities, but became friends that quickly...and hinting at romance possibly later?! I'm seriously enjoying the faces everyone makes heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom