• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Once he does it people will hate the prequel more than the original game, which will boost sales of Destiny 2. A decade or so later a rumor will start about how Dinklebot is actually an evil genius who was controlling the guardians to keep them away from doing anything useful to prevent the return of Darth Darkness.
Destiny x Star Wars x Marvel x Halo. 2025. Believe.

There's only one thing that really matters next season.

The Tamayura movies are being subbed in English, so someone cares. The Aria special should have no problem getting that either. And of course, when Amanchu airs it'll be picked up by Funi or CR or someone.
I suppose so. Aria is going to be interesting because of how it's packaged. Either way, it's probably not worth talking about because there's no legal way to watch it - with subs at least.

---

Also this may be of interest to someone if you haven't picked up Go Go Nippon in one of the dozen or so bundles it's appeared in: https://www.indiegala.com/monday

For the record BGBW, I liked your OP a lot as well. Even the descriptions. It's rather unfortunate that a OP with probably the biggest amount of care put into it, got lambasted for what is par for the course in the other threads.

-------------

Curious who would that be ?

Edit: Atsushi Wakabayashi, the director ? He hasn't done a whole lot of animating for Naruto IIRC.

Didn't he have hands in:

Sasuke vs Orochimaru part 1
3rd vs 1st and 2nd
Naruto vs Sasuke part 1
Naruto vs Pain

I dropped SAO because I felt it squandered its quite interesting premise.
It didn't go anywhere interesting or entertaining for me.

I dropped it for many reasons but I have to ask was there any need for SAO to become a haremesque show?

So what do y'all prefer?

Copy pasting background audiences, or the animator just making all background characters like black blobs/paper cuts?

If you're doing crowd scenes and you don't have the time to draw unique characters (see The Wind Rises for an excellent example of a crowd scene), I think going with stylistic simplifications a la Penguindrum is more attractive than poorly drawn, copy-paste, or awkwardly inserted CG crowds.

phaze

Didn't he have hands in:

Sasuke vs Orochimaru part 1
3rd vs 1st and 2nd
Naruto vs Sasuke part 1
Naruto vs Pain

Checked and you're right. Though as the storyboarder, episode director and animation director I imagine that the amout of cuts he himself actually did was limited. (E: Seems that way, going by booru too.) Yamashita already has shown that he can direct with 322, 345 and 375. Now he has seemingly a well regarded movie behind his name too, it'll be alright. ;p

Naruto vs Sauce p1 is still the best fight in that series imo

Only one that comes close is Lee vs Gaara

322 > all.

So what do y'all prefer?

Copy pasting background audiences, or the animator just making all background characters like black blobs/paper cuts?

5jIZxb1.png
t93nu2a.png

from Mawaru Penguindrum

I mean stylistically it doesn't fit everywhere, but when it does, this silhouettes approach is likely to look much better than a lot of poorly drawn characters. These CGI monsters from the likes of Madhouse and Hosada's works are especially bad as they stand out particularly much.

Squishy3

If you're doing crowd scenes and you don't have the time to draw unique characters (see The Wind Rises for an excellent example of a crowd scene), I think going with stylistic simplifications a la Penguindrum is more attractive than poorly drawn, copy-paste, or awkwardly inserted CG crowds.
Or framing it so you hear the crowd sounds but you'll only see a few people walk past behind the character every few seconds or whatever.

Or framing it so you hear the crowd sounds but you'll only see a few people walk past behind the character every few seconds or whatever.

That's not really a crowd scene anymore then, since you're avoiding the whole problem of drawing crowds, just as background pans are used to avoid drawing characters.

Checked and you're right. Though as the storyboarder, episode director and animation director I imagine that the amout of cuts he himself actually did was limited. Yamashita already has shown that he can direct with 322, 345 and 375. Now he has seemingly a well regarded movie behind his name too, it'll be alright. ;p

322 > all.

Yamashita + Norio = greatness

Naruto vs Sauce p1 is still the best fight in that series imo

Only one that comes close is Lee vs Gaara

I'll agree. This comes next:

Clannad's top 5 in the Steam sellers chart, everyone run for the hills.

Steam was a mistake. It's nothing but hats.

Penguindrum's background characters were really striking to me.

I don't think it would work for every type of show, but it really works well there.

Can someone actually make a legitimate argument as to why they think SAO is a good show?

For a show that I and many others feel has a ton of glaring flaws, what is it that makes some people legitimately unironically like it?

Cornbread78

Can someone actually make a legitimate argument as to why they think SAO is a good show?

For a show that I and many others feel has a ton of glaring flaws, what is it that makes some people legitimately unironically like it?

Yes, that is easy...

It's entertaining as hell to watch....

I don't need perfection; I want entertainment.

What about that thing I posted a few pages back?

That's probably still my opinion of it right now. It's dumb fun at it's core which hey, happens to be fun.

-------

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=186045116

Russ T

Banned

I imagine for the same reason I like GATE. U:

Something doesn't have to be high-brow to be legitimately enjoyable. See the millions of Marvel movies being super popular.

The weird incestual relationship thing is what's turned me off from watching it forever (that and Log Horizon is fucking great and I don't want SAO to bring the MMO genre down for me - it's been so long since I watched .hack//SIGN that I can pretend it's great, even if I don't know for sure - also GATE could easily turn someone off because it features a goth-loli 1000 year old dragon I mean battle demi-goddess who is sexually aroused by violent death..........................................).

But aside from that, I imagine it's probably pretty similar to GATE, not in setting, but at least in terms of light-hearted, low-brow fun.

GATE is also one of those things I would never recommend to anyone without already knowing they'd be into it...

I turned this into a post about GATE. Whatever.

Kawahara successfully bridges anime and video games with a uniquely inspired well written tornado of a plot that is perfect in execution from start to finish with nuanced characterization. It is one of the only series that is able to simultaneously be beautiful and terrifying in each arc. Kirito's struggles to embrace the power bestowed to him while having to battle external forces of friendship, responsibility, and burden was one of the most well done human aspects an anime has included in a narrative. The series confirmed Kawahra as the doyen of videogame fantasy sci fi fiction.

Get ready for the next (Gunpla) Battle

This was how Try was announced so this is probably in relation to those GBF OVAs.

Kawahara successfully bridges anime and video games with a uniquely inspired well written tornado of a plot that is perfect in execution from start to finish with nuanced characterization. It is one of the only series that is able to simultaneously be beautiful and terrifying in each arc. Kirito's struggles to embrace the power bestowed to him while having to battle external forces of friendship, responsibility, and burden was one of the most well done human aspects an anime has included in a narrative. The series confirmed Kawahra as the doyen of videogame fantasy sci fi fiction.

You forgot your /s

Kyuur

I don't actually remember the second half that much, but here goes:

- Decent looking designs, clean art. Great animation in some points and serviceable elsewhere.
- Interesting concept/world, especially if this was your first encounter with the idea
- The initial 'monster of the week' episodes were all pretty fun
- Overarching plot is fine if you don't focus too much on plot holes
- Escapism aspect appeals to a lot of people, watching fuels their own personal fantasies

If I had to rank SAO to other shows, it would be average to decent. There's tons of stuff there that is actually bad, with janky as hell animation, horrible designs, non-nonsensical or fanservice-oriented plots. That's the kind of stuff I consider 'bad'.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Disney's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame was the first time I noticed CGI crowds on my old VHS tape.

(for the kids in here, VHS is what we used to watch films on before DVD, when it took over a year for a film to have a home release after they stopped showing it in the cinema)

Yes, that is easy...

What about that thing I posted a few pages back?

That's probably still my opinion of it right now. It's dumb fun at it's core which hey, happens to be fun.

-------

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=186045116

I know that some shows can be considered dumb fun. Even I like dumb fun shows! Hell, Fairy Tail is one of my biggest guilty pleasures!

And SAO, I can understand how someone can find the first half enjoyable. I'll admit that the first half is serviceable dumb fun at times.

You haven't gotten to the worst parts of SAO's second half yet Kenji so I won't spoil much but that's where SAO goes from dumb fun to just sheer awful.

It's SAO episode 24 that encompasses absolutely everything wrong with the self-insert LN harem genre and more. Like, everything about it is just wrong, and not even in a "so bad it's good way". Some people give that entire episode a pass.

And my question is, why?

javac

0644dYp.png
New releases for 24th November 2015.
Blu-ray
Dragonar Academy: Complete Collection [FUNimation]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price:
BD/DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $48.74
BD/DVD Limited Edition (NSFW) @ Rightstuf.com: $52.49
CufCSXfm.jpg

Dramatical Murder: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs (50GB))
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $45.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
cRG5fivm.jpg

Durarara!! x 2 Volume 2 [AoA]
Run Time: 175 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Subtitles: English / Spanish
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $79.98
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $49.98
Qu1Zdhum.jpg

EE1qvwol.jpg

Eureka Seven AO Complete Series S.A.V.E. Edition [FUNimation]
Run Time: 625 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (4 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $26.24
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $22.49
pJw9mODm.jpg

DVD
Battle Doll Angelic Layer: Sentai Selects Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 650 min
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1 (448 kbps) / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Five-disc set (5 DVDs)
Price:
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
1g8XDXnm.jpg

Good Luck Girl! S.A.V.E. Edition [FUNimation]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: English 5.1 Surround / Japanese Stereo
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price:
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $22.49
J4aX4jAm.jpg

Night on the Galactic Railroad [Discotek]
Run Time: 105 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Format: One-disc set (1 DVD)
Price:
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $18.71
wYTJIXBm.jpg

Delays:
Library War: Complete Collection - Out December 8th

So what's everyone getting this week?

Quasar

Yes, that is easy...

Heh. I find it a fine trapped in a fantasy world adventure tale. And I liked the Asuna/Kirito story, up until Asuna got ruined with arc2. I have gotten a bit less interested as it continues though, I think in part because I like it best when those two were together. Which is why I think I haven't continued in through the whole epic Alicization story.

Thats not to say its anywhere near perfect. I did give it a MAL 6 after all.

Disney's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame was the first time I noticed CGI crowds on my old VHS tape.

(for the kids in here, VHS is what we used to watch films on before DVD, when it took over a year for a film to have a home release after they stopped showing it in the cinema)

What's a VHS? Is that like a laser disc?

WHATEVER GRANDPA

javac

What's a VHS? Is that like a laser disc?
WHATEVER GRANDPA
I collect anime LaserDiscs :$
Binbougami Ga and E7AO are already S.A.V.E!?
Seems like it. Good Luck Girl released on BD and DVD as a complete set back in November 2013. Eureka Seven AO Part 1 released as a BD/DVD combo back in August 2013 along with a Limited Edition while Part Two released on October 2013 also as a BD/DVD combo.

Theonik

So what do y'all prefer?

Dog Days 1/2 approach of making BG characters look distinct whilst still being low detail. It's a very good between these two. The blob approach also works but requires the director using it correctly.

dont care about digimon outside of hosodas stuff but others itt do so

I expect most of these differences come from the materials Toei provided to Crunchyroll rather than something Crunchyroll did themselves. As far as I'm aware, CR staff don't have the capability of making edits to anime; that would be done by the original production studio or licensor (see also Girls und Panzer).

Uh oh. I haven't watched Speed Grapher, but the critical consensus on it, as with much of Gonzo's body of work, is quite poor outside of Ishihama's excellent OP.

Doh, just got to enjoy the OP for the first time. Seems to be indeed really great.

Pity if the show ain't much good otherwise then. Setting got me intrigued even though a bunch of the gore, nudity and general grotesqueness may be primarily used to draw attention.

Well, let's see how far I'll get.

John Blade

Man...those RightStuff sales is getting tasty now. So many anime to buy. Is Dirty Pair worth the money as it might be something I don't mind watching and also it's those old anime I like to watch.

Man...those RightStuff sales is getting tasty now. So many anime to buy. Is Dirty Pair worth the money as it might be something I don't mind watching and also it's those old anime I like to watch.

Yes, Dirty Pair is a generally excellent series. The Project Eden movie is particularly impressive - just look at this incredibly stylish opening done by the legend Koji Morimoto himself.

As a relevant aside, when I had my Dirty Pair DVDs lying around my parents' home one day, my mother happened to notice them, pick a volume up, frown at it, and ask me "Just what is this? Is this softcore?" Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom