• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Thankfully.

Read any anime forum for five minutes and you'll find people unironically spouting /pol/ memes.

I've not really seen that, but that would not make it different to pretty much any other forum unless they had heavy moderation.

And kind of amusing coming from a videogame forum.

JCG

When I say "good"/"bad" I'm more talking about general principles of writing and direction. Like pacing, characterization, tone, how material is contextualized, logical flow, framing, etc.

The thing is, almost none of those general principles are meant to be universal nor set in stone. They were socially constructed over the years and will be similarly overcome in due time. If anything, much of humanity's creative progress (and prowess) has consisted of challenging and breaking apart previous rules and guidelines that were once held sacred. Otherwise, we would just be experiencing the same thing all over again once critics and producers agreed on a technically "perfect" formula for creating works of art and entertainment alike.

Past a basic level of craftsmanship, a lot of the specifics and particular elements corresponding to each of those critical standards can be defined in primarily subjective ways, depending on an inherently personal interpretation. Critics are not using math and calculators to reach their conclusions. That is why two or more individuals with similar educational backgrounds can watch the same movie or read the same book and reach either partially or totally different conclusions about its themes, characters, structure, pacing, etc. A character whose openly contradictory traits annoyed someone to the point of dismissing him as poorly written, for instance, can easily appeal to another member of the audience who didn't feel such annoyance and was able to connect the dots in a different manner that worked for him/her. In other words, it's entirely possible to change the definition of "good" and "bad" according to the observer's chosen metrics and preferences.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
jkdCm45.jpg

Guys, what happened to episode 1 of Osomatsu-san in Crunchyroll?! D: D: D:

The production committee had it removed from all streaming services in Japan and abroad, and will not be including it on the BD release. Thus will be effectively be no legal way to obtain it at any time in the future. Japan has no fair use provision in its copyright law, so parodies have no legal production.

Canon

Banned
I took the "main" music from Kokoro Connect (for some reason four songs are called something different in the OST each time) and combined them into one. Not perfect, but better than all of them individually I think. I could spend a lot more time working on it, but since I did it for myself I'm satisfied. Good music, good anime.

You can listen to it here if you want.

jman2050

I wish I had liked Samurai Champloo more than I did. In the end I'm just mostly ambivalent about it.

The baseball episode is pure gold though, so there's that.

So in collecting future extortion material from past anime threads (I now have a complete list of the people who once defended Eureka Seven AO. I also have my eye on an individual who said that Pokemon was never a good show.) I realized people bullied each other a lot more in past threads.

We need to get back to that. Bullying I mean.

We also need to bully madp into posting more.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nozaki-kun is transparently a comedy, not a serious romantic drama.
It kind of speaks to why Nozaki-kun has limited appeal to me. The world state is very static. Instead of the potential for anything to occur so much of it is deliberately set up to skirt around and pull back from the obvious next steps. It's kind of an underwhelming format to comedy, and it doesn't have a building plot to back up how restrained it is.
wonzo said he'd unfollow me if i watched my DNR'd champloo set again. take it up with him
If you haven't watched House of Five Leaves you should really look into it.

What shall I prioritize and watch first?

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun or Barakamon?

Nozaki-kun was #3 on last years AOTY (and should have been higher), and Barakamon was #6 and should have been lower. So there's your answer. Nozaki-kun > Barakamon.

And speaking of AOTY, I don't think I've watched 10 things that released this year. I need to get my ass in gear.

Narag

If you haven't watched House of Five Leaves you should really look into it.

It's definitely on the list. Still in the wrapping up phase of stuff I false started this year coupled with watching some disposable shows I can watch just to watch. Loved Cobra, Hyouka, and Mushishi but watching them all at once was rough as I'd end up spending like an hour an ep going over this or that.

Samurai Champloo was at its best when it when it focused on Mugen, or when it veered into the absurd. (Save for that zombie episode, which was pretty lame.)

I thought the actual plot, finding the sunflower man, was pretty lame.

Narag

Samurai Champloo was at its best when it when it focused on Mugen, or when it veered into the absurd. (Save for that zombie episode, which was pretty lame.)

I think the actual plot, finding the sunflower man, was pretty lame.

I've never cared for the ending but figured that was okay since it really was one of those "about the journey, not the destination" vehicles.

Crocodile

The thing is, almost none of those general principles are meant to be universal nor set in stone. They were socially constructed over the years and will be similarly overcome in due time. If anything, much of humanity's creative progress (and prowess) has consisted of challenging and breaking apart previous rules and guidelines that were once held sacred. Otherwise, we would just be experiencing the same thing all over again once critics and producers agreed on a technically "perfect" formula for creating works of art and entertainment alike.

Past a basic level of craftsmanship, a lot of the specifics and particular elements corresponding to each of those critical standards can be defined in primarily subjective ways, depending on an inherently personal interpretation. Critics are not using math and calculators to reach their conclusions. That is why two or more individuals with similar educational backgrounds can watch the same movie or read the same book and reach either partially or totally different conclusions about its themes, characters, structure, pacing, etc. A character whose openly contradictory traits annoyed someone to the point of dismissing him as poorly written, for instance, can easily appeal to another member of the audience who didn't feel such annoyance and was able to connect the dots in a different manner that worked for him/her. In other words, it's entirely possible to change the definition of "good" and "bad" according to the observer's chosen metrics and preferences.

Whether someone likes something or not will can be highly subjective (in part due to biases and life experiences anyone brings to the table than consuming media) but I don't think what constitutes the bare minimum of what is strong (or at least respectable) writing and direction is as flexible as you think it is. We, the human species, have been using the written word for millennia. I certainly don't disagree there are always new avenues to explore and perspectives and styles that have yet to be perfected or well explored. However, we can still teach and recognize respectable/good writing & direction even if we may not like the final product.

At the end of the day, I think there plenty of works where one can have an honest debate on if a product is well written and directed - I've already conceded that and I would be foolish not to do so. Sword Art Online however is not a hill worth dying. Irrespective of if someone enjoys the show, there really isn't much room for debate with regards to its quality as a character piece, narrative, etc. Again, I'm not saying it has no redeeming qualities but........its not a well written/directed piece of media.

The production committee had it removed from all streaming services in Japan and abroad, and will not be including it on the BD release. Thus will be effectively be no legal way to obtain it at any time in the future. Japan has no fair use provision in its copyright law, so parodies have no legal production.

That's stupid. How does the doujin market survive? Big companies just figure its not worth their time ever?

I've never cared for the ending but figured that was okay since it really was one of those "about the journey, not the destination" vehicles.

Yeah, pretty much. I still look back on the series fondly.

That said, I was genuinely surprised when the group
actually split up in the ending.

I thought for sure they were gonna find a reason to stay together.

ibyea

Banned

;_; I will never get to watch it.

That's stupid. How does the doujin market survive? Big companies just figure its not worth their time ever?

I assume so, just would rather let the fans make derivative material that fosters a fan community and indirectly encourages them to buy more official merchandise. If companies wanted to shut it all down, they could probably do so.

Narag

I assume so, just would rather let the fans make derivative material that fosters a fan community and indirectly encourages them to buy more official merchandise. If companies wanted to shut it all down, they could probably do so.

doujins feel like they keep a property relevant even when there's no active official push. that's just my take as a regular joe

Quasar

Well currently the copyright holders have to pursue infringement and the industry has chosen to not go after them. Of course with the TPP Japan is being asked to make their copyright laws more in tune with the US.

Which I guess may mean along with the bad side of that, it may mean an introduction of fair use. Not sure about that.

Well currently the copyright holders have to pursue infringement and the industry has chosen to not go after them. Of course with the TPP Japan is being asked to make their copyright laws more in tune with the US.

Which I guess may mean along with the bad side of that, it may mean an introduction of fair use. Not sure about that.

Actually not. One of the big criticisms of the TPP is that while other countries are being required by the TPP to align their copyright terms with those of the US, there is no requirement that they adopt any principles of fair use along with that.

Quasar

Actually not. One of the big criticisms of the TPP is that while other countries are being required by the TPP to align their copyright terms with those of the US, there is no requirement that they adopt any principles of fair use along with that.

Well that makes it even worse. So potentially we'll see the dojinshi industry shut down and no fair use in Japan (and other countries without fair use provisions).

Given that's the breeding ground of professional manga and anime folks (among others), that really sounds like a bright idea.

From the New World Episode 1
F7AMg6V.gif

You ever watch the first episode of a show, and feel convinced you actually started on episode 3 or 4?

...The beginning, I'm guessing, is a flash forward to catch our attention or something? Because it didn't mesh with the rest of the episode at all.

I know capturing viewer's intrigue is important, but a lot of this episode felt indecipherable. Towards the middle, it seems to throw the main characters at the viewers without really introducing them.

There's telling a story fast, and then there's just shoving information at me.

Looks pretty though.

ibyea

Banned
F7AMg6V.gif

You ever watch the first episode of a show, and feel convinced you actually started on episode 3 or 4?

...The beginning, I'm guessing, is a flash forward to catch our attention or something? Because it didn't mesh with the rest of the episode at all.

I know capturing viewer's intrigue is important, but a lot of this episode felt indecipherable. Towards the middle, it seems to throw the main characters at the viewers without really introducing them.

Looks pretty though.

There is so many things I would like to say but... I think it's better if you figure it out on your own.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I liked the TV show but I'm trying to watch this Yamato 2199 movie and it seems like total trash. The first 12 minutes are an absolute mess and then there's this weird awkward girl getting dressed fan service.
this is your opener? this is what makes it in the movie? going further on this is going to be a challenge.

Droplet

I feel like GAF doesnt do a good enough job of promoting shameless fan service shows

You know, considering we have Valkyrie Drive in the OP, I think it's only fair we put Dance with Devils or something in as well. Can't just be the shameless boy's club when we can make it the shameless everyone's club.

Looks pretty though.

The beginning is a flashback to show why society degenerated into the way it is in the show.
I feel like that should have been obvious enough to not need to spoiler it, but I guess I'll do it just in case.

I don't remember the first episode being that confusing or really that information heavy. It was more atmospheric than anything. If you think the first episode is an info dump you're going to have some problems later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom