• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doh, just got to enjoy the OP for the first time. Seems to be indeed really great.

Pity if the show ain't much good otherwise then. Setting got me intrigued even though a bunch of the gore, nudity and general grotesqueness may be primarily used to draw attention.

Well, let's see how far I'll get.

They're not similar types of shows at all, but if you want to watch a good show with a good Ishihama OP, I recommend Kamichu or Yama no Susume.

Crocodile

Something being entertaining doesn't make something good. Videos on World Star Hip Hop can be entertaining but there is no metric by which they are good. Way too often I feel like those who argue in favor of often maligned media that pivot with "well I liked it" do so because either they are unwilling or unable to critique the work or are unable to understand and appreciate its flaws. Saying "this was crap but I still liked it" is way more intellectually honest than saying "I enjoyed it therefore its good". You are allowed to enjoy media that is structurally unsound - that's what it means to be a guilty pleasure. Furthermore, media that on a whole is considered poor in quality often still have redeeming qualities. Just don't try to pass it off as good. That's the only part I really take issue with.

On the subject of Speed Grapher, it has an interesting premise but its ugly as shit and the writing wasn't really up to the task. Classic Gonzo at work :/

Phatmac

First part was good but went on for a bit too long. The reveal of the real killer and the detective blushing was great. Second part was funny with the fish idol admiting that she only wants to be famous in order to gain admiration from fanboys. Lots of good Sheeeeeeehs and so cures from the boys so it was great. Joshumatsu giving him that creepy glare was my highlight.
1448322516070.jpg

They're not similar types of shows at all, but if you want to watch a good show with a good Ishihama OP, I recommend Kamichu or Yama no Susume.

Well I don't watch shows for their OPs. Now given that they're really nice OPs I'm almost wanting to watch these shows but I'd at least need to know if they're any good and what they're about. I imagine you wouldn't suggest sth you aren't considering decent at least but for instance the Kamichu OP gives this 'a girls middle school life' vibe from it that doesn't really draw me in at first sight.

Something being entertaining doesn't make something good. Videos on World Star Hip Hop can be entertaining but there is no metric by which they are good. Way too often I feel like those who argue in favor of often maligned media that pivot with "well I liked it" do so because either they are unwilling or unable to critique the work or are unable to understand and appreciate its flaws. Saying "this was crap but I still liked it" is way more intellectually honest than saying "I enjoyed it therefore its good". You are allowed to enjoy media that is structurally unsound - that's what it means to be a guilty pleasure. Furthermore, media that on a whole is considered poor in quality often still have redeeming qualities. Just don't try to pass it off as good. That's the only part I really take issue with.

On the subject of Speed Grapher, it has an interesting premise but its ugly as shit and the writing wasn't really up to the task. Classic Gonzo at work :/

To a certain degree yeh but I'm also plenty annoyed when people are literally saying "oh yeh it's garbage but I really like it (unironically)". Because at that point they're about as dishonest as it gets. You wouldn't like it if you consider it garbage. You'd like it if the good parts trump the garbage bits. But in that case, say so. Of course, that's often said when people have difficulties describing what they're actually enjoying then, but it would be nice if they'd then reflect what that could be instead of not even trying.

Well, or they say it because they don't want to look bad liking the supposedly stupid show.

Sterok

Yuru Yuri S3 8

That was one epic trading quest. Sakurako had become stranger than she already was. Chizuru and Kaede get a heart to heart. Pajamas are serious business.

Phatmac

The silent segment in the beginning is easily the best moment of the whole show. It was a brilliant combination of animation, music, and character insight into the class president's character. I don't think a whole episode could carry that concept but I'd like someone to try it anime form. The second part was nice as we rarely get the brat and Kyoko together alone.

Well I don't watch shows for their OPs.

A good policy.

Now given that they're really nice OPs I'm almost wanting to watch these shows but I'd at least need to know if they're any good and what they're about. I imagine you wouldn't suggest sth you aren't considering decent at least but for instance the Kamichu OP gives this 'a girls middle school life' vibe from it that doesn't really draw me in at first sight.

Of course, given that I said they were good shows I do actually think they're good shows. Well, I haven't watched Kamichu myself but I've seen enough positive impressions from people I trust that I feel comfortable recommending it. Given that you dislike K-ON S2, it's possible that the general girl-focused slice-of-life genre will not appeal to you, in which case you will not like these two shows. But if you're not closed to that entirely, they're worth checking out I think. Kamichu is about a girl who overnight becomes a goddess and has to figure out what to do with that. I've seen it described as "Ghibli-lite". Yama no Susume is about a group of girls who bond over mountain climbing. It's very well produced; episode 13 of S2 is likely one of the best animated TV episodes ever.

Quasar

I guess that depends on what you mean by good or bad or how you are judging things. In terms of general discussion I tend to view things in terms of whether I enjoyed them and whether I would reccomend them to others. And with a binary good/bad system theres little wiggle room. But then I'm not a cultural critic so I tend to approach media less formally now than I did as a student in film classes. Its more like comparing take-out places. Now obviously this is not a suitable approach if I decided to start a media blog with formal reviews.

Of course that general point is problematic. I mean I didnt like what I saw of Ping Pong, or Madmen, or the Wire. So I'd have a hard time reccomending it to others (in part because in all three cases I only saw an episode or two). But its clear all three shows are well regarded by various people who arent idiots. So its clearly a matter of different tastes, which is fine. But it means I can't just say this show is bad because I didnt like it. I find its easier with flawed stuff I enjoyed, but that's in part because with those I watched (or played when it comes to games) all of it and so have more things to justify why I liked a show and feel its worth watching.

Not being a reviewer or anything means I can just bail on anything I'm not enjoying and so I have less to talk about there and I also miss out on things that leave a bad first impression on me that might turn out t actuall be worth my time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What shall I prioritize and watch first?

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun or Barakamon?
Throw in a third option for me. Nozaki-kun is mildly amusing but I don't really see it as something worth going back to at this point.

A good policy.

Of course, given that I said they were good shows I do actually think they're good shows. Well, I haven't watched Kamichu myself but I've seen enough positive impressions from people I trust that I feel comfortable recommending it. Given that you dislike K-ON S2, it's possible that the general girl-focused slice-of-life genre will not appeal to you, in which case you will not like these two shows. But if you're not closed to that entirely, they're worth checking out I think. Kamichu is about a girl who overnight becomes a goddess and has to figure out what to do with that. I've seen it described as "Ghibli-lite". Yama no Susume is about a group of girls who bond over mountain climbing. It's very well produced; episode 13 of S2 is likely one of the best animated TV episodes ever.

That sounds like a great premise actually. As long as such a premise is taken seriously and worked with, I'm all ears.

I'm not opposed to girl-focused slice-of-life shows, as long as characterization and progression thereof is done well. I don't think that's the case with K-On and K-On 2 for that matter. Those two are among the slice-of-lice shows I have little interest in because the characters are introduced with little depths to them and change only superficially. To some degree I've also simply seen a lot of good coming-of-age shows so that some average 'friendship is important' episode of the likes of K-On don't do anything for me.

Sterok

Aikatsu 160

Akari has a stalker. Tsubaki looks like a grown up Noelle. Sena has favored Akari since the beginning. She wasn't that great when they first met. New appeal huh.

John Blade

Well....I am first to break down on RightStuff Sales. Just bought the 1st batch of sales just now. Would wait but they is one item that make me want to get it now than later. Here is the 1st batch of items I got from the sale.

Space Brothers Collection 1 Blu-ray
Space Brothers Collection 2 Blu-ray
Space Brothers Collection 3 Blu-ray
Space Brothers Collection 4 Blu-ray
Space Brothers Collection 5 Blu-ray
Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike Blu-ray/DVD
WAGNARIA!! Bundle
Redline Blu-ray
The Eccentric Family Premium Edition Blu-ray

They will be more later on till they stop adding more anime for sale (maybe 2 or 3 batch). Sigh...I am weeping a bit here.

That sounds like a great premise actually. As long as such a premise is taken seriously and worked with, I'm all ears.

I'm not opposed to girl-focused slice-of-life shows, as long as characterization and progression thereof is done well. I don't think that's the case with K-On and K-On 2 for that matter. Those two are among the slice-of-lice shows I have little interest in because the characters are introduced with little depths to them and change only superficially. To some degree I've also simply seen a lot of good coming-of-age shows so that some average 'friendship is important' episode of the likes of K-On don't do anything for me.

I disagree with your view of K-ON starting from episode 13 of season 1 and going into season 2. I haven't seen many similar shows with as much sensitivity and contemplativeness put into the depiction of its characters' lives.

Cornbread78

Tough for me. Those were my top 2 anime of last year. And whilst it was a no brainer to put Nozaki-kun at #1 it depends on my mood. I do find Nozaki-kun much more rewatchable though given its sitcom nature.

Think about how Chiyo feels.. We cannot fully support her by putting Nozaki-kun #1.

sonicmj1

Absolute Carefree Bliss------------------------------------------------- Shirobako -------- Golden Boy 6 --------------------- Hackadoll 7 -------- Paranoia Agent 10 ---- Absolute Despair

Is season 2 of Spice and Wolf on Netflix? I just wrapped up season 1 on Hulu, but they only have some of the episodes for season 2 and they're dubbed. I don't have an active Netflix subscription, so I can't check.

Crocodile

Apparently this was a real sign at the recent Trump rally:

CUihIJJUAAAYOTv.jpg

I guess that depends on what you mean by good or bad or how you are judging things. In terms of general discussion I tend to view things in terms of whether I enjoyed them and whether I would reccomend them to others. And with a binary good/bad system theres little wiggle room. But then I'm not a cultural critic so I tend to approach media less formally now than I did as a student in film classes. Its more like comparing take-out places. Now obviously this is not a suitable approach if I decided to start a media blog with formal reviews.

Of course that general point is problematic. I mean I didnt like what I saw of Ping Pong, or Madmen, or the Wire. So I'd have a hard time reccomending it to others (in part because in all three cases I only saw an episode or two). But its clear all three shows are well regarded by various people who arent idiots. So its clearly a matter of different tastes, which is fine. But it means I can't just say this show is bad because I didnt like it. I find its easier with flawed stuff I enjoyed, but that's in part because with those I watched (or played when it comes to games) all of it and so have more things to justify why I liked a show and feel its worth watching.

Not being a reviewer or anything means I can just bail on anything I'm not enjoying and so I have less to talk about there and I also miss out on things that leave a bad first impression on me that might turn out t actuall be worth my time.

When I say "good"/"bad" I'm more talking about general principles of writing and direction. Like pacing, characterization, tone, how material is contextualized, logical flow, framing, etc. Ostensibly, what is "good pacing", as an example, has a degree of subjectivity to it and people will often straight up disagree on a particular work but I believe there is still a minimum baseline that most can agree to once they have been exposed to enough media to calibrate themselves well.

A product can succeed commercially or garner significant popularity even if its lacking in those areas (Twilight, Transformers Live Action moves, etc.). Furthermore I, just as with everybody such as yourself, have also failed to enjoy many works I know are held in high critical acclaim. However, I still feel confident in my ability to separate what I like and why I liked something from how well it might meet certain critical metrics. Sometimes they are one in the same and sometimes they are not. "I understand why this is good and held in high esteem but I didn't enjoy it" and "I very much enjoyed this media even though I'm aware and agree its critically flawed in these respects" are things I'm very willing to say.

ibyea

Banned
Absolute Carefree Bliss------------------------------------------------- Shirobako -------- Golden Boy 6 --------------------- Hackadoll 7 -------- Paranoia Agent 10 ---- Absolute Despair

The fact that Shirobako is in the more idealistic side of the scale is scary. Also, having watched Paranoia Agent ep 10, man will nothing surpass it.

John Blade

Apparently this was a real sign at the recent Trump rally:

CUihIJJUAAAYOTv.jpg

Wait.....this is just odd. Is they something about this anime that is connect to Trump stuff that I never known about or this is just another random stuff in Trump rally? This is so weird to see this and feel random.

Wait.....this is just odd. Is they something about this anime that is connect to Trump stuff that I never known about or this is just another random stuff in Trump rally? This is so weird to see this and feel random.

Some dumb meme pic playing on "make america great again" changing it to "Trump will make anime real"

Revolutionary Girl Utena 04

I'm with Nanami here, what the hell is going on in this household. I'm more confused now then I was in the first three episodes! Maybe it's because I watched the first half of this episode yesterday and the rest today.

Well, unless you are looking for actual romance from the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxIZbEG5vBE

You would have to be pretty gullible to sit through 12 episodes and expect there to be a solid romantic relationship at the end. The entire premise of the series is three "couples" where one of them is completely ignorant and the other is trying to force the relationship. C'mon.

I do have to wonder if anime will be a dividing factor in this election.

Hillary's refusal to watch Barakamon is something that could really drive away hardened anime fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom