• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I liked the TV show but I'm trying to watch this Yamato 2199 movie and it seems like total trash. The first 12 minutes are an absolute mess and then there's this weird awkward girl getting dressed fan service.

this is your opener? this is what makes it in the movie? going further on this is going to be a challenge.

You're making me remember how weird it was to see that character shoehorned in. Things smooth out once Kodai gets involved though.

javac

I can't fall asleep. I think that I have a sleep problem but that's besides the point because while lying in bed in the dark I did some thinking. I was wondering, does anything akin to the World Masterpiece Theatre exist today? Like, what do kids even watch these days when it comes to anime? I guess it's your Yo-kai Watches and such? It's a shame really, some of the best anime series were born from that lineage of shows. Shows that even today I still enjoy and lots of older people still could benefit from.

Ronia the Robber's Daughter would fall under that category, right? It didn't come out too long ago but I don't remember it getting much attention or praise. Might look into it.

Hyouka 7 - Liked this episode a lot. Ending was a nice way to show how siblings can constantly bicker or have their problems but at the end of the day they can still care about each other. Great series so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That movie is great though. It does some really good worldbuilding and potentially sets up sequel material really well.
I dunno. I'll push through but the first ten minutes are absolutely horrendous. Just really unfocused jumping around on scenes that lack context, some of which seem to serve little purpose. Just really odd pacing stuff that attempts to fill in back story with narration while showing scenes around the ship of literally nothing. Like...a new shift coming in on the bridge. Meanwhile this meandering monologue goes on about the actual events but it's just completely unrelated to what's going on. There's guys celebrating or something and they have stuff drawn over their face, but once they start walking to the next location only one of them still has the face paint. It's just actively horrible filmmaking.

sonicmj1

Perfect Insider 7

It's a shame that the English conversation lightning rod is distracting any discussion from the incredible VR sequence in the second half. I was really impressed with how it used computer effects to create pans and zooms that we rarely see in TV anime. In a show that hasn't really blown me away with direction to this point, the second half of the show made me sit up and take notice.

ibyea

Banned
Perfect Insider 7

It's a shame that the English conversation lightning rod is distracting any discussion from the incredible VR sequence in the second half. I was really impressed with how it used computer effects to create pans and zooms that we rarely see in TV anime. In a show that hasn't really blown me away with direction to this point, the second half of the show made me sit up and take notice.

Yeah, that was the first time in a long while the show was interesting.

The beginning is a flashback to show why society degenerated into the way it is in the show.
I feel like that should have been obvious enough to not need to spoiler it, but I guess I'll do it just in case.

Was that clear? I don't know, maybe I'm so used to being spoon fed narrative in anime, that once something comes along that's vague my brain can't process it.

From the New World Episode 2
download.png
Awww. That was a nice scene. Good way to endear me to these kids.

Man,
fuck this society. Holy shit.

Jaxec

I finally had time to catch up on this thread and for most of it I see discussion about the Otaku thread on OT. I didn't think it was that bad so I went to check it out and damn. There's 25 pages and it's still ongoing. What the hell happened over the course of a day? Were there any casualties? It seems like there's a war going on over there.

javac

As far as I know the non-Miyazaki episodes are not particularly worth watching. The Miyazaki/Telecom episodes are wonderful though.

Although some may read this and be put off by the first half of your sentence, the second half has me really excited! Optimistic as always! :p Kinda excited to check it out, I could do with something with a different pace! :) Thanks!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nozaki-kun was #3 on last years AOTY (and should have been higher), and Barakamon was #6 and should have been lower. So there's your answer. Nozaki-kun > Barakamon.

Nozaki wasn't even the best comedy of the year (this wasn't to say it was bad, I voted for it in my top 10). There were far better ones like Sabagebu!, Tonari no Seki-kun and technically WUG Zoo (though that's being saved for this year). Of course it's often the case that the most popular comedies aren't the best ones but simply the easiest to understand so I can understand it scoring well.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Nozaki is refined humor for refined people

Sabagebu is the same joke repeated every episode and gets old after like the 3rd time

Although some may read this and be put off by the first half of your sentence, the second half has me really excited! Optimistic as always! :p Kinda excited to check it out, I could do with something with a different pace! :) Thanks!

The non-Miyazaki episodes are certainly more languid, but they have a degree of charm, and there are a handful interspersed with good animation direction. If you want to watch all of them, perhaps avoid going through all the Miyazaki eps first, since it is true that they are head-and-shoulders above the others.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Man I thought Nozaki was way better then Sabagebu. Sabagebu was like, half of the episodes were good and Nozaki was solid the whole way through.

Nozaki is refined humor for refined people

Sabagebu is the same joke repeated every episode and gets old after like the 3rd time

Kind of my point. Nozaki has better mass appeal since Sabagebu requires one to be quite the comedy connoisseur to really get the most out of it. You could argue Nozaki being more accessible does indeed make it the better show but overall Sabagebu humour was at a higher level. I'd agree Nozaki was probably more consistent, but unfortunately that means it was consistently just OK in the humour department, never really reaching the highs of Sabagebu.

If anything, the show that really should have been seen by more is Tonari no Seki-kun. Due to its nature of invention of the week there was a lot of variety so didn't get stale. And there's something to be said for fixed location comedies that helps bring out the humour. The recent Gintama episode with the fortune teller box was also a good example of this.

Of course they all fall in the presence of the masterpiece that was Wake Up, Girl Zoo.

Nozaki wasn't even the best comedy of the year (this wasn't to say it was bad, I voted for it in my top 10). There were far better ones like Sabagebu!, Tonari no Seki-kun and technically WUG Zoo (though that's being saved for this year). Of course it's often the case that the most popular comedies aren't the best ones but simply the easiest to understand so I can understand it scoring well.

You forgot about D-Frag!

Just like everybody else >_>

javac

The non-Miyazaki episodes are certainly more languid, but they have a degree of charm, and there are a handful interspersed with good animation direction. If you want to watch all of them, perhaps avoid going through all the Miyazaki eps first, since it is true that they are head-and-shoulders above the others.

Thanks for the tip, I was planning on watching them in order of airing date. I take it the series is an episodic series? When thinking of watching Sherlock Hound I thought that it would be hard to discuss on an episode by episode basis as it could become monotonous and boring, not a knock on the show but I thought that it might be a bit formulaic but now that I think about it I could have fun comparing them and seeing what Miyazaki & Co do differently :)

Generate

Banned
Was that clear? I don't know, maybe I'm so used to being spoon fed narrative in anime, that once something comes along that's vague my brain can't process it.

From the New World Episode 2

Awww. That was a nice scene. Good way to endear me to these kids.

Man,
fuck this society. Holy shit.

This show is phenomenal.

PK Gaming

Nozaki-kun is more consistent and the characters are more likeable, but it never really went beyond its comfort zone.

Sabagebu! was all over the place, but it had higher highs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom