• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

javac

Ah. Comedies are always decisive. Everyone's funny bone is a little different :p Looking at my graph.anime (I know, I know), I don't tend to watch many comedies but then again almost every show has a bit of comedy in it. I mean...apparently according to the site, Little Witch Academia is comedy so what truly is a comedy? Life itself in many ways is a comedy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah. Comedies are always decisive. Everyone's funny bone is a little different :p Looking at my graph.anime (I know, I know), I don't tend to watch many comedies but then again almost every show has a bit of comedy in it. I mean...apparently according to the site, Little Witch Academia is comedy so what truly is a comedy? Life itself in many ways is a comedy.
You have debates about Master of None vs Louie, which is the strange thing to see. And yeah, comedy is so subjective that it really doesn't matter.

(Also Sabagebu was the best comedy last year by far. ;) )

javac

You have debates about Master of None vs Louie, which is the strange thing to see. And yeah, comedy is so subjective that it really doesn't matter.

(Also Sabagebu was the best comedy last year by far. ;) )

I don't really watch American Sitcoms or similar television series but I take it those two shows are different and yet compared to one another, taking a quick glance at Google tells me as such. You get that a lot, you see it on the gaming side too. People like making comparisons I guess even if it doesn't make much sense :p Not to say comedies can't be compared but that they come in all shapes and sizes, to such a degree that pigeonholing them into buzzwords doesn't capture the nuance that makes them work. I've seen things that have made me laugh my ass off and then the very next day I wonder why I found it so funny :p

Also, I'll take your word for it :)

Puruzi

Banned
FYOnP2T.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really watch American Sitcoms or similar television series but I take it those two shows are different and yet compared to one another, taking a quick glance at Google tells me as such. You get that a lot, you see it on the gaming side too. People like making comparisons I guess even if it doesn't make much sense :p Not to say comedies can't be compared but that they come in all shapes and sizes, to such a degree that pigeonholing them into buzzwords doesn't capture the nuance that makes them work. I've seen things that have made me laugh my ass off and then the very next day I wonder why I found it so funny :p

Also, I'll take your word for it :)

Comedy itself is so diverse that you can have specific genres of it. D-Frag's comedy is mostly manzai, while Sabagebu is mostly about situational comedy or character comedy. It's possible to just prefer one style over the other, but they're different enough that it becomes to directly compare them.

Like, maybe you can say that Mozart "sounds better" than Queen, since they're both "music". But maybe that's just because you prefer classical to rock.

javac

Comedy itself is so diverse that you can have specific genres of it. D-Frag's comedy is mostly manzai, while Sabagebu is mostly about situational comedy or character comedy. It's possible to just prefer one style over the other, but they're different enough that it becomes to directly compare them.

Like, maybe you can say that Mozart "sounds better" than Queen, since they're both "music". But maybe that's just because you prefer classical to rock.

Pretty much. To be honest like Anime itself I can never pinpoint just what I like exactly, in that sense I don't necessarily hate a certain type of comedy or show but rather it depends on the mood I'm in. Whether its the gags in FLCL or the perverseness of Ryo from City Hunter which usually ends in slapstick when Kaori smashes him in the face with a 100 ton hammer like something out of Looney Tunes to the random kind of comedy that you find in something like Cromartie it all hits me in the right spot in the heat of the moment which is all that matters. Having said that gags in anime have fallen flat for me many times too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone knows WUGZoo was the funniest show with the bestest animation. I don't even know why there's a discussion going on here.

Keep dragging it out so mentions of WUG Zoo can continue all the way to the AotY voting period. Then no one has an excuse for forgetting it!

Kazzy

I liked the TV show but I'm trying to watch this Yamato 2199 movie and it seems like total trash. The first 12 minutes are an absolute mess and then there's this weird awkward girl getting dressed fan service.

this is your opener? this is what makes it in the movie? going further on this is going to be a challenge.

I completely forgot about the film even existing. It's weird that being in Tokyo, you sometimes have less access to this stuff. I never dared to face the masses that generally go to these things, either.

There was no mistaking that Love Live! crowd *shudders*

dan2026

The only truly laugh out loud funny anime I have ever seen is Cromartie High School.
And occasionally Gintama.
To be honest Japanese comedy seems to be mostly awful.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
But everybody agrees that Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid is the best comedy anime of this year, right?

Right?

Honestly, it is just kind of boring, this may sound odd but it isn't embracing its trashiness like Symphnogear, it wants to be taken somewhat seriously and it fails.

Kazzy

To be honest Japanese comedy seems to be mostly awful.

The general stuff is, on the whole, pretty bad. Culturally, different stuff just plays over there. I have plenty of friends who absolutely adore all the variety shows, and the "tarento" that appear on them, whilst I'm always ambivalent towards it.

Kazzy

I've completely lost my momentum with Fate/Zero, for whatever reason, so I'm looking for something else to occupy me in the meantime - preferably recent.

Any suggestions?

I'll probably follow dimb's lead, and watch the Yamato movie.

Sölf

I dunno man, D-frag is trash, only saving grace is Takao.

U wot mate? I mean, D-Frag wasn't our saviour and became somewhat boring later on, but it was pretty cool.

But if we talk about good comedy, last year we had Amagi Brilliant Park, Mikakunin and Twintails. Twintails was like so damn crazy, it was glorious.

Kazzy

May I suggest Wake Up, Girl Zoo?

You know, after watching a slew of serialized shows, it'd be nice to consume a little bit of cheese.

As one of the forum's biggest proponents of YuruYuri, I trust your judgment when it comes to comedy. I'll certainly give it a shot!

Cornbread78

I've completely lost my momentum with Fate/Zero, for whatever reason, so I'm looking for something else to occupy me in the meantime - preferably recent.

Any suggestions?

I'll probably follow dimb's lead, and watch the Yamato movie.

What kind of show (genre) are you in the mood for?

Theonik

Yes, Dirty Pair is a generally excellent series. The Project Eden movie is particularly impressive - just look at this incredibly stylish opening done by the legend Koji Morimoto himself.

As a relevant aside, when I had my Dirty Pair DVDs lying around my parents' home one day, my mother happened to notice them, pick a volume up, frown at it, and ask me "Just what is this? Is this softcore?" Heh.
I didn't find the Eden movie to be particularly impressive and I recall the AnimeGAF consensus of it was kind of similar. Its OP and music are near universally praised however.

I didn't find the Eden movie to be particularly impressive and I recall the AnimeGAF consensus of it was kind of similar. Its OP and music are near universally praised however.

The only other AnimeGAF impression of Project Eden I recall is Instro's, and I believe he liked it as well. Project Eden is a very stylishly directed movie with good, brisk pacing, and it is the best entry in the Dirty Pair franchise as well as the best action movie of the 1980s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom