• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Yeah, you aren't watching it?

The best scene is the one where they drink Doctor Pepper.

I forgot all about it.. I meant to watch it this season as a Mon Mun/Prison School replacement, but....

Yeah you fuckin do

Watch Prison School, it's like American Pie or teenage sex romp movies if they were good or clever at all

I watched it as it was airing and yeah, it was pretty good stuff, lol.

Wait, how many of you HAVEN'T seen Code Gaess? I think I asked this before, but is it a "Let's Watch" possibility? The whole point is to be entertained, and if there are 6-7 people that haven't watched it yet..... Looks like Mirain Nikki is next and that is all sorts of messed up, so what is after that? Code Gaesss?

Wait, how many of you HAVEN'T seen Code Gaess? I think I asked this before, but is it a "Let's Watch" possibility? The whole point is to be entertained, and if there are 6-7 people that haven't watched it yet..... Looks like Mirain Nikki is next and that is all sorts of messed up, so what is after that? Code Gaesss?

You did ask this before and I told you that if you want to pick something unknown people haven't seen Code Geass would be the last thing on the list. The nudge nudge wink wink during SamFlam would be like 200x worse.

Don't do Mirai Nikki either too popular (and also shit)

As much as I'd love to see many people's reactions to Code Geass at once, I'm afraid that a Let's Watch might invoke too many people going wink wink nudge nudge at each other all the time like with the SamFlam watch and ruin the whole thing.

If it's going to be done, some ground rules about that would really have to be put in place so as not to ruin the experience for new watchers.

Qurupeke

I'm up for this anytime. The more people, the better.

I watched all of it. T'was alright. Solid, dumb fun but nothing spectacular. I'll also never get the love for the first OP, the song is bad!

The song is good because of JIBUUUN WOOOOO and that trumpet.

FLOW is great.

Lol. Have you ever been in an anime ot for a popular manga series? People completely ignore that.

Yeah, that's my biggest fear regarding this. It'd need to be enforced and there's little to no chance of that happening.

Cornbread78

As much as I'd love to see many people's reactions to Code Geass at once, I'm afraid that a Let's Watch might invoke too many people going wink wink nudge nudge at each other all the time like with the SamFlam watch and ruin the whole thing.

If it's going to be done, some ground rules about that would really have to be put in place so as not to ruin the experience for new watchers.

You did ask this before and I told you that if you want to pick something unknown people haven't seen Code Geass would be the last thing on the list. The nudge nudge wink wink during SamFlam would be like 200x worse.

Don't do Mirai Nikki either too popular (and also shit)

Maybe if we had a mod on board to watch as well? 12 hours bans, for first offense kinda thing, or something? I don;t know. The participation #'s have dropped quite a bit for the Let's Watch, so I need something to perk interest...

Sölf

Alright, in order to prevent more spoilers, I just start now with watching this. It's not like I just started Narcos yesterday or anything. And still have to watch Twin Peaks. And tomorrow The Flash airs. And I still have to watch Supergirl EP3+. And don't even let me start with what anime I still have to watch...

I will never finish all this. Especially with Xenoblade coming in 10 days. ;____;

Defuser

Maybe if we had a mod on board to watch as well? 12 hours bans, for first offense kinda thing, or something? I don;t know. The participation #'s have dropped quite a bit for the Let's Watch, so I need something to perk interest...
Theres no point because people will pretend its their first time and give spoilers under the guise of speculation/opinions.

phaze

Eureka 7 - 32
eurekag3sxg.jpg

Is there no end to Dai Saito's wickedness ? Redropped.

Coming back to it, I still don't understand how a nr 1 rebel group can just go freely into the nr 1 mech research base just because a few eggheads in there like them. Does this, clearly important, base have like, no security staff, no garrison, absolutely zero, nada people loyal to the ruling regime in it ? Maybe it's just the ire I already amassed for this show, colouring my opinion of even the smallest things but I don't see how this is not shit tier, implausible writing.

Qurupeke

Sölf;186653810 said:
Alright, in order to prevent more spoilers, I just start now with watching this. It's not like I just started Narcos yesterday or anything. And still have to watch Twin Peaks. And tomorrow The Flash airs. And I still have to watch Supergirl EP3+. And don't even let me start with what anime I still have to watch...

I will never finish all this. Especially with Xenoblade coming in 10 days. ;____;

Nooo, we're together on this.

pbayne

Finished Nana

People make awful decisions: The anime

Ill spoiler tag the rest cause I know someone else just started watching it.

The only minor niggle of the show is the ending. You can't really blame Madhouse because they were backed into an unwriteable corner and they just had to bullshit up an end. I mean there are several characters, plotlines that are introduced right before the finish that just no closure what so ever. I would have liked to see Yuri and Mui get more screen time.

On to the good stuff though and damn it was good. Most modern shows struggle to give 1 character a decent story arc. Nana at one point has 8 characters that all have multiple story and character arcs. I was blown away by how much consideration was given to each character and their relationship between each other and the knock on effect those relationships had on others.

Interesting the two Nanas kinda stop being main characters half way through and it becomes more of an ensemble. Oh and the two Nanas are horrible people. Like they aren't two people with some flaws, they are genuinely terrible people. Yet the show manages to still make them likable. In fact you could extend that to the whole cast, favorite characters one second will make you want to tear your hair out the next. Its something I appreciated about the show was the mix of heavy drama with light comedy. But when the shit hits the fan, they know to completely drop the jokes and just let the horrible moments sink in. Jeez there's a strech of episodes around 28-34 that are so hard to watch they are that depressing

Oh Yasu for president and fuck Takumi. That guy drew Griffith levels of hate from me at times.

Eureka 7 - 32

Coming back to it, I still don't understand how a nr 1 rebel group can just go freely into the nr 1 mech research base just because a few eggheads in there like them. Does this, clearly important, base have like, no security staff, no garrison, absolutely zero, nada people loyal to the ruling regime in it ? Maybe it's just the ire I already amassed for this show, colouring my opinion of even the smallest things but I don't see how this is not shit tier, implausible writing.

As you already know, I wholeheartedly agree!

But, please continue watching. It gets worse!

Finished Nana

People make awful decisions: The anime

Ill spoiler tag the rest cause I know someone else just started watching it.

The only minor niggle of the show is the ending. You can't really blame Madhouse because they were backed into an unwriteable corner and they just had to bullshit up an end. I mean there are several characters, plotlines that are introduced right before the finish that just no closure what so ever. I would have liked to see Yuri and Mui get more screen time.

On to the good stuff though and damn it was good. Most modern shows struggle to give 1 character a decent story arc. Nana at one point has 8 characters that all have multiple story and character arcs. I was blown away by how much consideration was given to each character and their relationship between each other and the knock on effect those relationships had on others.

Interesting the two Nanas kinda stop being main characters half way through and it becomes more of an ensemble. Oh and the two Nanas are horrible people. Like they aren't two people with some flaws, they are genuinely terrible people. Yet the show manages to still make them likable. In fact you could extend that to the whole cast, favorite characters one second will make you want to tear your hair out the next. Its something I appreciated about the show was the mix of heavy drama with light comedy. But when the shit hits the fan, they know to completely drop the jokes and just let the horrible moments sink in. Jeez there's a strech of episodes around 28-34 that are so hard to watch they are that depressing

Oh Yasu for president and fuck Takumi. That guy drew Griffith levels of hate from me at times.

Omedeto!

Yeh pity about the ending. I don't even think it was supposed to be much of a makeshift ending but rather a halfway point that could be continued once the manga is (near) finished and production for the rest of the anime would've picked up again. But when the mangaka decided not to continue Nana after her hospitalization and all, what can you do :(

I wouldn't describe the Nanas as terrible people but simply flawed once. Well written characters usually tend to have flaws (go figure I guess) while it's still easy to empathize with them, even though they make some, while understandable, objectively stupid decisions. It's also kinda nice how naturally the plot and relationship developments flow in Nana. It's relatively difficult to predict actually, which I always appreciate.

I tried watching geass once but I gave up after it felt like there was some expectation of how I was supposed to react. That and it was boring.

Eureka 7 - 32

If you don't like absolutely anything about the show this far in you're better off just dropping it.

Watch Mazinkaiser V.S. The Great General of Darkness instead since you liked Shin Mazinger Z and hated its ending.

Quasar

Watched some Shomin Sample, and I've got to say it's actually pretty entertaining. It's a pretty trashy show with mindless fun (and ecchi nonsense, for those who are put off by that kind of thing), but I'd say that not taking itself seriously at all helps it somewhat. The interactions all these overly pure ojou-samas have with ridiculously commonplace items and situations are fun in a completely over-the-top way and there's even room for character development, which is always

I just find it cute, even if there is something wrong when you do a story about a ojou-sama school and there's no proper ojou-sama with laugh at all.

Eureka 7 - 32

World building isn't really the series' strength, especially given what little exists is packed into the last 1/3 of the show.

Quasar

Comedies from last year.

Only one I liked I think was Nozaki-kun (but that was my favourite anime of last year). I'd kind of need to see a list of comedies though. Not many straight comedies around...lots of things like romantic comedies or other genres with some comedy.

JulianImp

I just find it cute, even if there is something wrong when you do a story about a ojou-sama school and there's no proper ojou-sama with laugh at all.

I appreciate the lack of the ojou-sama laugh, since their overly polite speech patterns are enough to identify them as ojou-samas and the laugh would get really grating for a show set in a school full of them. A somewhat self-aware show that plays with tropes a bit is a lot more entertaining to watch than something that's just checking boxes.

Quasar

I appreciate the lack of the ojou-sama laugh, since their overly polite speech patterns are enough to identify them as ojou-samas and the laugh would get really grating for a show set in a school full of them.

Oh I wouldn't want them all like that, just an example of that. Theres no real haughty older one either.

phaze

If you don't like absolutely anything about the show this far in you're better off just dropping it.

Bu ... but .. how am I supposed to shit on a form an informed opinion of the show if I don't grovel my way through entirety of it ?

Watch Mazinkaiser V.S. The Great General of Darkness instead since you liked Shin Mazinger Z and hated its ending.

The 2002 version ? This is not a direct continuation of the SMZ's storyline ?

JulianImp

Oh I wouldn't want them all like that, just an example of that. Theres no real haughty older one either.

I think I associate that laugh with crappy characters, since I can't remember a single one that had an ojou-sama laugh that was actually any fun and/or interesting. Obnoxious ojous with their obnoxious laughs get boring rather quickly.

A show about a group of haughty Ojou-samas would be approx. 1,000,000 times better then a show about a bunch of boring ass naive sheltered girls

OHOHOHOHOs every other scene...
The horror.

Quasar

I think I associate that laugh with crappy characters, since I can't remember a single one that had an ojou-sama laugh that was actually any fun and/or interesting. Obnoxious ojous with their obnoxious laughs get boring rather quickly.

Whilst I have a thing for them. Not sure why. Of course it may be if I had a show about them I'd not like it as I'd get too much of them and that would ruin it. Those characters tend not to be mains, just side characters or antagonists or comic relief.

The 2002 version ? This is not a direct continuation of the SMZ's storyline ?

Yes the 2002 version and no it's not a direct continuation, but SMZ's storyline was more or less a re-imagining of the original Mazinger Z's story and its ending was pretty much a different version of the real ending.

Mazinger spoilers

There's a film called Mazinger Z V.S. the Great general of Darkness which takes place at the end of the 1970s Mazinger show (IIRC) and that's just Kouji getting his ass kicked by Hades until Great Mazinger shows up.

The Mazinkaiser one-shot OVA version on the other hand, is a version where Kouji gets a better version of Mazinger and does it himself. It's freaking awesome and I recommend that version.

Sterok

You know the giant death game? The one where people get large elaborate death scenes?

Everyone survives. Everyone.

Because if you're alive, it means you're being forgiven.

One character gets thrown off a building, falls hundreds of feet, and is shown to be recovering in the finale.
You forgot the part where she was blown up by grenades and had her arm torn off. But hey, that had a perfectly reasonable explanation.
She was a robot. The people that got stabbed in the chest and the one who drank a whole vial of poison? Those survivals were BS.

pbayne

Omedeto!

Yeh pity about the ending. I don't even think it was supposed to be much of a makeshift ending but rather a halfway point that could be continued once the manga is (near) finished and production for the rest of the anime would've picked up again. But when the mangaka decided not to continue Nana after her hospitalization and all, what can you do :(

I wouldn't describe the Nanas as terrible people but simply flawed once. Well written characters usually tend to have flaws (go figure I guess) while it's still easy to empathize with them, even though they make some, while understandable, objectively stupid decisions. It's also kinda nice how naturally the plot and relationship developments flow in Nana. It's relatively difficult to predict actually, which I always appreciate.

Yeah I would take the Nanas over most characters. I especially love the ambiguity of Hachi when you never quite know if she's the helpless victim or is she a conniving manipulator?

Its a shame the manga ending and all because the state of the relationships is kind of depressing when you look at them. It feels like everyone settled for what they could get, rather than what would make them the most happy. And I guess that is true to life in some aspects.

Even my dream pairings from the show, when you stop and think about them; Would they actually work? Like probably not but I like that depth of the show that you can conceivably imagine them happening.

My dream pairs:

Nana and Yasu
Hachi and Nobou
Shin and Reira
Takumi and the underside of a bus

Hi guys, I'm new to anime and I heard this thread is a good place to ask. I've watched a few on notflix before. I like cobob bebob, Spice Dandy, Naurto and Astarotte no Omocha.

What can you recommend me?

phaze

Hi guys, I'm new to anime and I heard this thread is a good place to ask. I've watched a few on notflix before. I like cobob bebob, Spice Dandy, Naurto and Astarotte no Omocha.

What can you recommend me?

I'd recommend Eurka seven. The writer of it worked on cobob and spice so you're sure to enjoy it.

So it seems that after the new Monogatari arc there won't be more OP's this year. So I guess I'll ask (and open the floodgates):

What's the best Anime opening of 2015?

My personal favorite was the second opening of JoJo part three, I believe it's called END OF THE WORLD or something.

Mainly because it has some good foreshadowing combined with a really badass song.
I also loved how they changed in the final episodes.

You got memed kid.

Quasar

There's only one show this year that I have watched the OP every time, and that's Young Black Jack. Nothing else is nearly as entertaining.

Not seen that. I do love the Noragami opening.

And the Monster Musume opening is pretty perfect in how it summarises what the show is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom