• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sousuke figure is too perfect. March hurry
CUoDR4GUkAApfQO.jpg:large
CUoDR73VAAAo-KW.jpg:large

Line_HTX

I think I got a Funimation email on a Free figure.

Didn't open it, but it took me a good few seconds to know what they were trying to say, lol

trembli0s

The song is good because of JIBUUUN WOOOOO and that trumpet.

FLOW is great.

Yeah, that's my biggest fear regarding this. It'd need to be enforced and there's little to no chance of that happening.

Actually went back and listened to Colors because of this. Still remember like 90% of the lyrics after all this time. Thanks for the memories haha.

Aiustis

Edit:
I was inspired by the other thread to find some anime I'm willing to watch. I need some assistance.
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.
-Limited amount of that female baby voice (only on little kids is it not grating).
-Nothing with too much fan service or really pervy.
-More realistically stylized art.

Anime's I like that best represent what I'd watch:
Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Makoto Shinkai (anything similar to stuff by this dude)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers
-Welcome to the Space Show, Wolf Children and Summer Wars things that I've liked that I was just a tiny bit bored by the story, but found them really enjoyable all the same. I enjoyed the bright and colorful visuals.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
A few of the best OPs of this year that I do not think have been mentioned yet are Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, Assassination Classroom OP1 and Gangsta.

Cornbread78

Clannad: After Story 16

So, coming back to this after finishing The Wire Season 4 (which, by the way, blows every other TV show I've seen out of the fucking water), the first half of this episode made me want to just turn the whole thing off and never come back. Tomoya's trepidation about everything to come is handled without any subtlety at all. Even the New Year's Party was the same kind of thing. Ew.

Luckily, I stuck around, and the second half of the episode is the strongest the show has ever been to this point, for a lot of reasons. It helps that the climax of the episode is about actual real people shit, focused primarily, for once, on the character we know the best and sympathize with the most. But the biggest thing setting this sequence apart is that it actually dares to go abstract and start breaking the clean aesthetic that has rigidly defined the entire visual tone of the show to this point. Everything teeters on the brink of absolute elation and absolute despair, both in Tomoya's cracking, weepy voice, in the washed-out bloom of the entire scene, and particularly in his face, drawn and exhausted, all scrunched up trying to smile through the tears. Even when it takes things over the top with flashbacks at the end, it still actually left me pretty choked up. There's a weird kind of beauty in it, and I love how it ends without leaving space for a clean conclusion to the scene. Amazing execution.

God if all that alternate robot world shit turns out to be an excuse for some bullshit Deus Ex Machina later I'm gonna find the nearest magazine rack and knock it over.

I was going to watch the next episode but then the sound in my computer died and killed my forward momentum. It's back now, somehow. Weird. Must be some kind of sign.

Finally. Everything is in focus now. It's a shame your system crapped out because there is some great stuff to come. Not much else to say right now... As always, I'm looking forward to your response to a couple of the upcoming episodes.

Cornbread78

Edit:
I was inspired by the other thread to find some anime I'm willing to watch. I need some assistance.
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.
-Limited amount of that female baby voice (only on little kids is it not grating).

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers
-Welcome to the Space Show, Wolf Children and Summer Wars things that I've liked that I was just a tiny bit bored by the story, but found them really enjoyable all the same. I enjoyed the bright and colorful visuals.

Barakamon. It checks most of those boxes. I mean, there's no "action" but has realistic characters with great VA's, good artstyle, a good heartfelt story and is very easy to watch.

Clov

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Based on the first set of criteria, Flowers of Evil.

You may also enjoy Mushishi, The Tatami Galaxy and Ping-Pong. Are you open to watching some films as well as TV series?

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Kino's Journey. It pretty much fits all your requirements (I don't know how you'll feel about the art) but it is a fantastic show.

jonjonaug

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Time of Eve fits all of this criteria and is really good. It's all on Crunchyroll for premium members. If you want to check it out, PM me and I'll send you a 48 hour pass so you can watch it over the weekend. Maybe you can watch some other shows afterward if you have time too, CR has a very expansive library.

A plot description from Wikipedia.

In the not-too-distant future, androids have come into common usage. Rikuo Sakisaka, who has taken robots for granted for his entire life, one day discovers that Sammy, his home android, has been acting independently and coming and going on her own. He finds a strange phrase recorded in her activity log, "Are you enjoying the Time of Eve?". He, along with his friend Masakazu Masaki, trace Sammy's movements and finds an unusual cafe, "The Time of Eve". Nagi, the barista, informs them that the cafe's main rule is to not discriminate between humans and androids. Within the cafe, androids do not display their status rings, and, when patrons depart, the door is automatically locked for two minutes to prevent someone from following them to discover their true nature.

The first few episodes involve conversations between Rikuo (usually accompanied by Masaki) and the cafe regulars: the bubbly Akiko, child Chie and her elderly guardian, the lovers Koji and Rina, and others. These conversations make frequent allusion to Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, often highlighting surprising interpretations of those laws, some of which form apparent loopholes. The overarching plot involves the beginnings of independence displayed by the androids, what they do with that independence within the bounds of the three laws, and what motivates them. Secondary plots involve the individual stories of each android the protagonists encounter in the cafe, and how they come to discover which patrons are androids and which are not.

Zaptruder

Banned
Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

My best recommendation is Valkyrie Drive Mermaid.

Really excellent series about the struggles of lesbian couples in a post-modern world.

jman2050

Really excellent series about the struggles of lesbian couples in a post-modern world.

As amusing as I find troll recommendations this doesn't exactly seem like the time to do so!

EDIT: To answer Aiustis' request, Ping Pong is excellent and seems to fit exactly what you're looking for.

jbug617

Banned
Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Kids on the Slope
Tsuritama
Barakamon
Silver Spoon
Usagi Drop

Defuser

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers
This reads like a MMO LFG post.

Come on Zap D: Troll recommendation is kinda bannable.

Shouta

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Patlabor: The Mobile Police TV series and Movie series.

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Its short but Usagi Drop? Really a very heartfelt and emotional story. I liked it a lot. Might give it a shot.

Hattori

Banned
Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers
Watch some Isao Takahata, most of his works are pretty grounded and realistic. (Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbors the Yamadas -- the latter is more cartoony but it's funny and enjoyable.)

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers

Space Brothers would be a great choice. Realistic looking characters, no fanservice, and it's all about adults living their lives. It's a really fine show.

Hajime no Ippo, Kids on the Slope, Wandering Son and Hyouka would also be good choices.

Flowers of Evil as well if you can accept the rotoscoping style. There's some stuff that could be considered "pervy", but it's in a way to show it as being creepy and non-normal behavior, not for the audience to enjoy.

javac

Ping Pong (11 episode series) doesn't have a realistic art-style but its depictions of the characters are very much grounded, realistic and raw. The voice acting alone adds a whole dimension to the characters that I haven't seen matched anywhere else. As the name suggests, its all about Table Tennis but the characters are the heart and soul of the series, and boy what a cast it is. Give it a shot. Speaking of which, hopefully my review is done for tomorrow so if this doesn't sell you on it, hopefully my review does! *selfless plug*

Perfect Blue (1hr. 20 min film) also comes to mind if you want something that has realistic depictions of characters both visually speaking and in terms of mannerisms and such. A masterclass in film.

And if you want to delve into the weirder side, something more artsy and visually striking since you liked Robot Carnival, Neo Tokyo and Memories (respect, I love these to) then have a look at Angel's Egg (1hr. 11 min film) although that could bore you since it has like one line of dialogue. If you're into films with open interpretations then this is one for you.

If you want something closer to a Jin-Roh affair, check out the Patlabor series, possibly starting off with Early Days OVA and the Three Patlabor films.

Droplet

Everyone seems to be ignoring this one...understandably. If you're looking for more modern shows, you're less likely to find anything that will conform to this.

I mean, if you're really interested in animation, why limit yourself with this?

So I'm going to ignore that and mention House of Five Leaves and From the New World.

Some Movies:
- Any Satoshi Kon Movie (I highly recommend Millenium Actress, also has a realistic style)
- Tekkon Kinkreet
- Colorful (realistic style)

Narag

Edit:
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.

Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh

Tokyo Godfathers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3SzOzm8lmo

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 41

A breather episode after the last few intense ones. I've always said that Yui isn't a particularly strong character on her own, but she does make Haruka and everyone else better by her sheer existence. She did carry the episode pretty well, so she's still pretty good in her own right. She really does have terrible luck though. Why is there an adult trying to be a responsible adult by not having kids fight the giant monsters? You're not supposed to do that.

javac

Texh is good. Boogiepop is of a similar ilk, without the depressing end :p *insert that Texhnolyze image of viewer falling into despair*

Now, I may sound like a huge monster...

...but if I could force everyone on Neogaf to watch Texhnolyze in a marathon, and observe their behavior during it...I would do it.

It would probably cause me to be associated with psychologist like Philip Zimbardo and Harry Harlow, but we could learn so much.

Shouta

On the topic of best OP/EDs, I think IBO probably has my favorite set this year with Shokugeki no Soma's first op and ed behind them. Individually, there's a lot ones i like but those two shows have the perfect lead in and lead out.

Narag

Now, I may sound like a huge monster...

...but if I could force everyone on Neogaf to watch Texhnolyze in a marathon, and observe their behavior during it...I would do it.

It would probably cause me to be associated with psychologist like Philip Zimbardo and Harry Harlow, but we could learn so much.

You'd be living in the shadow of Thoraxes who broke many of us individually with his cruel experiment.

javac

I think like anything, especially when it comes to the reactions of an anime it's generally overstated. Not to say that it doesn't effect people in that manner and to that degree but its not like I'm pulling out the shot glasses or anything lol (I don't drink so of course I wouldn't, but you get the idea!). It's a cool show with a fantastic soundtrack and what I love most about the show is its unwavering attitude. What I mean to say is that it doesn't hold punches.

Its a cool show, no need to feel intimidated or to intimidate and scare others is what I mean to say! It always leads to people over exaggerating for reactions, which is typically :lol :lol a million times over as someone pretends to fall into madness. Most of the time it's never genuine. Only a few shows are deserving of that reaction, none of which I've seen. :p

Killjoy I know.

Cornbread78

Not enough love for the Plastic Memories OP & ED in here; same for Utawarerumono's. Soma's ED was excellent as well.
And you can't forget about Gate's opening as well as Charlotte 's OP and ED. Lots of great tracks..

Mature

On the topic of best OP/EDs, I think IBO probably has my favorite set this year with Shokugeki no Soma's first op and ed behind them. Individually, there's a lot ones i like but those two shows have the perfect lead in and lead out.
IBO's lead in to it's ED gives it immediate bonus points. Great song too.

Anyone seen Sankarea or Amnesia? Any good?

Sankarea's first three episodes were good, but the rest of the series tumbled. The only thing I know about Amnesia is it's that shoujo where a girl gets locked in a cage, you probably won't be into the whole "self-insert girl gets abused by romantic interests" genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom