• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

http://myanimelist.net/anime/15085/Amnesia?q=Amnes

This was the Amnesia I was referring to. From Bas'response it sounds like they were going for a Diabolik Lovers kinda shoujo shit, which means I'm out.

I thought you meant Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, but I didn't this one was what he meant. Wow, this sounds like the worst kind of trashy shoujo of unhealthy relationships, lol.

Sölf;186731783 said:
So, after 5 episodes, Code Geass is still cool. Lelouche is pretty scary.

Yes, yes! Please continue.

Edit:
I was inspired by the other thread to find some anime I'm willing to watch. I need some assistance.
My requirements:

-Normal colored hair.
-Limited amount of that female baby voice (only on little kids is it not grating).
-Nothing with too much fan service or really pervy.
-More realistically stylized art.

Anime's I like that best represent what I'd watch:
Memories
Robot Carnival (mostly)
Makoto Shinkai (anything similar to stuff by this dude)
Neo Tokyo
Jin-Roh
Tokyo Godfathers
-Welcome to the Space Show, Wolf Children and Summer Wars things that I've liked that I was just a tiny bit bored by the story, but found them really enjoyable all the same. I enjoyed the bright and colorful visuals.

I'd think you might really enjoy Hyouka. Fits your criteria perfectly and I think it's sort of similar to Shinkai's work, too. I mean I love 5cm/s a hell lot and that's in part because the film does 'show, don't tell' right and takes a subdued approach in how it handles all it's romance and drama elements. Instead of having excessive inner monologue spelling out a character's every thought, Hyouka conveys everything you need to know by simply showing the characters behavior with much nuance.

It's also a candidate for the best looking anime series. Not only does it look very detailed and beautiful, the very strong direction makes everything that just the more appealing.

Last but not least it contains some of the best written characters and character development.

I could recommend others, but I think this would be the seemingly best fit.

Digimon Tri 3

The use of music in this is really weird, either it's full on insert-song or it's this fucking creepy-ass silence. What the heck? Okay, I guess there's some more somber stuff.

lol everyone ignoring izzy. This stupid drama about 'oh noes our digimons are doing damage they're seen as the *enemy* is so... blah. It's so anime, I dunno. At least it's a good excuse to immediately revert back to the standard "Matt and Tai are fucking idiots" storyline. That Jo scene got a laugh though.

OH SHIT MATT'S still got his harmonica! Siiiiiiiick

this sunset scene's pretty good yo.

izzy none of what you said makes any sense, but i'll give you props for somehow having a fucking server rack in a tokyo apartment. Good thing the Japanese MIB are on your side

The overall direction is just really bad. Sound, cutting, type of shots, timings and whatever else there is. It just all doesn't rhyme well together. In the 4th episode when all the flashbacks take place and the hesitation afterwards where Tai and Matt keep moving their heads strangely...just what the fuck. Every time this director tries to make a moment stand out it...well, I guess he succeeds in making it stand out; sadly just negatively.

---

@ sonicmj1

Going from The Wire Season 4 to Clannad...Jesus Christ the disparity in quality should crush you. For what it's worth, you're at least about to reach the last third of Clannad Afterstory, which I consider to be actually quite good when regarded on their own. I don't want to spoil everything but even there's some stupid bit but yeh, even though i despised pretty much everything else of Clannad, that last third of Afterstory actually worked well for me.

Sölf

Damn CLAMP designs scaring people with their insect anatomy

That actually was like my first thought when I saw several characters. Why the hell are like 90% of the characters so freaking thin? That's like Escaflowne nose level of strange.

Kazzy

devil is a part timer is fucking phenomenal

I thought that it didn't really go anywhere with it's concept, and tried to revert to the typical slice-of-life schtick, as quick as it possibly could. Which to me, was disappointing.

The majority of the cast, were also shuffled in and out of the episodes at such a frantic pace, that you began to wonder if it was worth having them all there to begin with. But that speaks to the constant problems faced, whenever a studio decides to adapt an ongoing light novel/manga series.

It honestly bugs me, because, unless something absolutely catches fire, you're not always guaranteed to see anything else. Which is a shame, because what you're left with, is an uneven, unsatisfying, mess.

Cornbread78

I thought you meant Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, but I didn't this one was what he meant. Wow, this sounds like the worst kind of trashy shoujo of unhealthy relationships, lol.

Yeah, the below told me everythign I need to know to scare me away from wasting any time...

Sankarea's first three episodes were good, but the rest of the series tumbled. The only thing I know about Amnesia is it's that shoujo where a girl gets locked in a cage, you probably won't be into the whole "self-insert girl gets abused by romantic interests" genre.

uugghh

The true ending of Clannad After Story is the worst part of Clannad.

Well yeh, but the last third of episodes taking place before that is easily the best.

Blah, it's amazing regardless. I can't say much, but it works since
it's not really used as a gimmick when they hint at it the entire storyline we just don't get it until the very end
The wa it is done and presented was great and really, really fit.

Just found out this Girls und Panzer movie calendar is amazing lol.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B014WAL95S/
hcghGKl.jpg

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 8 – The Egg Hamburg Steak Knows Part 4
CUqs87ZWwAAziRK.png

Thats it?! Really, why you do this to us writeres?!
Bring back fifth friend Sunahara, he was so good and we got no resolution with him and KZ

Phatmac

First part wasn't that great probably because I'm not a big Dragon Quest fan so most of the references missed me. Second part was great and made me realize how good a character Tama is. All her episode centric episodes are brilliant and her interactions with Gin are one of my favorites. It's still cute that she has the ribbon screw he gave her a long time ago. This part was sad overall and showed how kind Tama can be with machines that are mistreated. I'm fucking hyped for next week as it's the 300th episode plus the start of the Shogun Arc that is supposed to be the best parts of Gintama.

pbayne

Sölf;186733769 said:
That actually was like my first thought when I saw several characters. Why the hell are like 90% of the characters so freaking thin? That's like Escaflowne nose level of strange.

CLAMP are an all-female group who draw primarily for a female audience and for whatever reason they believe that style is attractive to girls. I dunno the style baffles me as well. At least its different though.

CLAMP are an all-female group who draw primarily for a female audience and for whatever reason they believe that style is attractive to girls. I dunno the style baffles me as well. At least its different though.

They probably draw what is attractive to them personally. CLAMP started life as a doujin group drawing Jojo fanart, after all.

pbayne

Yeah I like some of their stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura is still one of my favorite designs of all-time. Hit and miss is probably the best way to describe CLAMP.

So far Anime this Year has been very meh outside a few series. And Fall hasn't been any better as well and pretty mediocre compared to other fall seasons.

Here's my Fall impressions so far.

Osomatsu-san: has been quite enjoyable so far and is pretty much the best looking anime this fall. The skits have been fairly good not Gintama good, but good. One of the very few good series this season.

Young Black Jack: while it could of been much better it's still a fairly good show with its ups and downs. Some episodes do fall short however, some are really solid and follow through with its theme. It's still a good series and an enjoyable one.

OnePunch Man: I'm probably in the minority but other than the sakuga/action scenes this series has nothing else to offer. Before you say the manga says otherwise. Well I've already read the source material and the comedy gets repetitive and the characters are stale and one dimensional. Yes it's a gag manga but even then it fails at comedy most often. I use to really enjoy the manga but after awhile I just got tired of it and the anime does nothing for me.

Gundam: it's been surprisingly good so far which I'm surprised because the script is done by Okada. The story has been progressing fairly well and while it has a few bumps it's still good. The action scenes have been intense and great.

Noragami season 2: it has been as great as season 1 and I enjoyed season 1 a lot.

Oh do I really miss Barakamon from last year. If I could trade between this fall season for a season 2 of Barakamon I would do it in a heartbeat.

Not sure if you're joking or not, since you love Hyouka, but that's Irisu, the girl from the movie arc.

Also I disagree on her being an Oujosama.
Joke because of my Hyouka avy lol.

Aaaand idk. She was called The Empress and all aha. She had this elegant, cool aura around her, but she wasn't the annoying "ohhhhh-ohohoh" type.

Kazzy

If the empress is defined as an Ojuo-sama character. Then I take back what I said and apologize.

I would say so - she's from an esteemed family, and she's set to inherit the family business. It informs her personality, and goes some way to explaining how aloof/callously she behaves. Her status informs how a lot of her peers react to her, and she takes full advantage of that, manipulating where she sees fit. Unless you're trying to characterise this with an extremely specific example of this, I'd say Irisu evokes almost all of those familiar tropes.

If you want a more overt example, Chitanda certainly fits the bill.

Qurupeke

Code Geass 1

I caved in. I'll try to keep the impressions to a minimum and as spoiler free as I can...

Anyway, it's pretty fun despite the weird artstyle. I see now why people compared Charlotte's Yu with Lelouch, Lelouch is like a stretched up version of him. Also, surprised there are robots and modern stuff. I thought this was eye powers like Naruto. lol

Dude, in ADventure, they were all over each other like a lampshade whether it was from fisting each other out of frustration or sharing feelings on how it's like to be an older brother, and holding each other in their arms to say what a best friend he is.

Speaking of which, I just finished Digimon Adventure in the span of about 3 days. Not fully dedicated at first but yeah.

The Tai PTSD thing makes even less sense to me now given the hesitations he WENT through before. I mean though... I guess the big difference is that despite the massive amount of damage they did in the city in Adventure, Tai didn't... quite care as much, but he still cared about the people. That and while at first they were considered monsters, they changed their minds rather quickly, and cheered for our heroes instead of the cynical "plz die and give me back disney land" stuff from people now.

Episode 21 and 35 were definitely the best episodes. Parents were cool. I'm always a sucker for shows where parents actually get a good time period to shine. It's what I liked about most Precure series before Smile Precure happened :/.

Best part was the sfx for this gun.

Sölf

So, EP 9 of Code Geass had small changes in the OP. Huh. And whoever said the first opening was bad is bad himself and should go in a corner. :mad:

Line_HTX

Code Geass 1

I caved in. I'll try to keep the impressions to a minimum and as spoiler free as I can...

Anyway, it's pretty fun despite the weird artstyle. I see now why people compared Charlotte's Yu with Lelouch, Lelouch is like a stretched up version of him. Also, surprised there are robots and modern stuff. I thought this was eye powers like Naruto. lol

Yes, this is only the beginning for some of y'all. Y'all are in for one hell of a ride! Heh heh heh...

Aiustis

Hey everyone. Thanks for the input. I've compiled a list (sans one obvious troll recommendation ;) )

Will check them out.

Edit

Of the recommendations I've only seen:
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Isao Takahata's stuff
- Patlabor:
-Colorful

A good sign because I liked all those.

Cornbread78

So, umm, guys, I REALLY need some godo recs for another Let's Watch. Like, a really Good one to get attention.

Mirrai Nikki is the one that shoudl be up next, but... It may be a little rough around the edges.

Action based would be good this time around. Is Tsuritama good enough? I aksed MAL too.... Thsi shoudl be funny to watch. How many times will I get School Days and Oriemo posted there?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1455145

Line_HTX

I don't think you necessarily need to know Gundam terminology or tendencies to enjoy Code Geass. It's just mecha at the end of the day.

I watched Geass knowing next to nothing about Gundam and I still loved it.

Yes but if you knew about Gundam then you would've known the significance of Zero wearing a mask, of Kallen piloting a red mech which I'm pretty sure they flat out say is three times faster than normal mechs, Suzaku's design and his mech being an experimental white mech, and why the royal family is the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom