• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
All I remember from the few episodes I watched of NGNL is that I hated the protagonists and the chess game was some grade A bullshit.

I don't know how anyone can stand the Washizu game after what it become.

fwiw I haven't read the Akagi manga but the Washizu arc was invented so that mortals could understand the concept of eternity. The old joke of what will happen first, Guts gets off the boat or Akagi beats Washizu has finally been answered even. Togashi doesn't have shit on Fukumoto when it comes to dragging things out.

I should read Ten at some point

Jaxec

All I remember from the few episodes I watched of NGNL is that I hated the protagonists and the chess game was some grade A bullshit.

I though this too. Actually can someone explain how they won that chess game and if it even followed the rules? Maybe I just missed stuff.

Yeah it's very similar, though in Akagi the entire setup is that Akagi becomes the gambling emperor and I don't think he ever loses. Akagi is deathly serious, though. I prefer Kaiji to Akagi because Kaiji is far more just going for broke on his luck while Akagi plans everything out to the perfect degree. And again with Akagi I could buy him being a genius because of how his character is presented. He is very cold and calculated, somewhat sadistic and not an all around good person but someone truly rotten to the core like Washizu is who he hates most and guns for being taken down.

Yes, Akagi was entertaining enough, but Kaiji is more enjoyable because the protagonist is more likable and actually able to fail (and does often!), and because the games are easier to follow than mahjong.

Gambling Emperor Zero Part 1 is still the best Fukumoto manga though.

jman2050

Egregious fanservice aside, NGL is a very dumb show that tries to sell off its characters as very clever. Know how they win these important games they play? By cheating pretty much. Really, clever, right?

I suppose some people just enjoy it for its spectacle in a similar manner to Code Geass. At least in the latter show you could somewhat go along with the idea that Lelouch is smart, even though most of his moves and the twists are bullshit there, too.

In a world where everyone cheats the only winning move is to cheat even harder.

See also: Saki.

Tuck

Kuroko no Basket Season 1 - END
Anominichii (or however you spell is name) is a beast. I can't wait to see him lose.

Some really great action over the past few episodes, and really over the entire series. Yeah, they cut corners a lot - but when they do a big action scene they really commit to it. Was disappointed that they introduced a fan service character - but the fan service was only in like 2 episodes, was pretty minor, and she ended up being quite the clever girl, so its not a big deal.

Its not as good as Haikyuu!! That show just felt super polished in terms of visuals, and every character had depth and development. The development here is not nearly as well realized - especially amongst the non-main characters that make up each team. However, the side characters do still get a lot of screen time, and with distinctive personalities, they're all a lot of fun.

I love the guy with the funny lips.

Gonna move on to season 2 tomorrow. As I've said previously, I don't really like basketball. More for personal reasons rather than there being anything wrong with the sport itself, but I do genuinely hate playing it. So the fact that I'm enjoying this so much is a real treat.

Kuroko no Basket Season 1 - END
Anominichii (or however you spell is name) is a beast. I can't wait to see him lose.

Some really great action over the past few episodes, and really over the entire series. Yeah, they cut corners a lot - but when they do a big action scene they really commit to it. Was disappointed that they introduced a fan service character - but the fan service was only in like 2 episodes, was pretty minor, and she ended up being quite the clever girl, so its not a big deal.

Its not as good as Haikyuu!! That show just felt super polished in terms of visuals, and every character had depth and development. The development here is not nearly as well realized - especially amongst the non-main characters that make up each team. However, the side characters do still get a lot of screen time, and with distinctive personalities, they're all a lot of fun.

I love the guy with the funny lips.

Gonna move on to season 2 tomorrow. As I've said previously, I don't really like basketball. More for personal reasons rather than there being anything wrong with the sport itself, but I do genuinely hate playing it. So the fact that I'm enjoying this so much is a real treat.

s2 and s3 were the best parts of the show, it didnt truly feel like it took off until s2.

NGNL is pretty good if you can ignore/tolerate the fanservice. Good mindgames, fun direction, and by far the most epic game of shiritori in existence.

Unfortunately, the fanservice makes it hard to recommend to a lot of people.

Does anyone know exactly why they highlighted the fact that Shiro is 11 instead of just going with the usual she's an adult loli?

Because the author is a lolicon.

It's weird, it's supposedly some anime original story.

Bah, so no real world Ash Roller then?

I'm not crazy about NGNL but I enjoyed it, I actually liked the weird art direction the series had and it had Ace Attorney references, you will always win me over with Ace Attorney references.

FoxSpirit

Anime GAF, help me: I have serious OPM withdrawal. I need some great, humorous anime with fights of the past 5 years. Already seen Jojo and KLK. FMA also done. Gogogo, I need the shounen spirit!!

Jaxec

Anime GAF, help me: I have serious OPM withdrawal. I need some great, humorous anime with fights of the past 5 years. Already seen Jojo and KLK. FMA also done. Gogogo, I need the shounen spirit!!

Not really humorous, but Hunter x Hunter for some awesome shounen.

Is Code:Breaker actually a good show?

I watched Funi's trailer for it, and it didn't look particularly note worthy.

It would have been better if it was a true adaptation of the source but the music, characters lines and action close friendship between boys, and such made it an entertaining anime.

Manga is one of the best action manga on the market.

I though this too. Actually can someone explain how they won that chess game and if it even followed the rules? Maybe I just missed stuff.

As far as I remember they simply cheated or changed the rules, whatever you wanna call it.

It certainly wasn't clever or some good mindgame.

Is Code:Breaker actually a good show?

I watched Funi's trailer for it, and it didn't look particularly note worthy.

I only recommend good shows, and Code:Breaker is one. Well plotted, with good direction and top-notch animation, especially effects animation. Humorous at first, and gradually building the stakes into an effective and satisfying climax. Well worth watching.

Cornbread78

If you don't mind ecchi fanservice I heard Maken-Ki is a lot of fun.

----''-''-------

Also, fanservice aside, NGNL was pretty fun to watch. A second season would be great.

Also, you guys are sucking on the Let's Watch recs., lol.

NeonZ

i found it inconsistent but largely good. honestly wish they had pared down the characters a bit though, the schoolgirl was kinda boring. great facial expressions tho

I remember novel readers at the time claiming that her role was actually expanded in the anime compared to the novels, with the anime while also toning down ship teases between the heroine and the demon king.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of creative conflict considering the lack of future seasons in spite of its sales and available source material.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Something about negotiating and stuff during game. Basically, bullshit happen.

Later game are better.

Yes, Akagi was entertaining enough, but Kaiji is more enjoyable because the protagonist is more likable and actually able to fail (and does often!), and because the games are easier to follow than mahjong.

Gambling Emperor Zero Part 1 is still the best Fukumoto manga though.

Yeah, zero is the perfect chemistry between Kaiji and Akagi. He's genius who still make a mistake at a time and a decent guy.

Though if someone going to adapt another of Fukumoto work, i hope it's Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa. I can relate to that one.

Cornbread78

The Garden of Words (Koto no Ha no Niwa)
This is a pretty damn good short movie. It's a clear romance, but they do a good job outlining the disposition of the characters then close it out with an emotional ending. It was a really good non "anime" short anime film. I have to also say that at time, the artwork and animation was absolutely beautiful. Very pleasant watch.

Quasar

The Garden of Words (Koto no Ha no Niwa)
This is a pretty damn good short movie. It's a clear romance, but they do a good job outlining the disposition of the characters then close it out with an emotional ending. It was a really good non "anime" short anime film. I have to also say that at time, the artwork and animation was absolutely beautiful. Very pleasant watch.

I loved it. And crazily photo realistic at times.

If you liked it you probably would like the other shinkai films.

JulianImp

I'm not crazy about NGNL but I enjoyed it, I actually liked the weird art direction the series had and it had Ace Attorney references, you will always win me over with Ace Attorney references.

I liked what I saw of its colourfulness though.

Same here. I loved NGNL's unique color palette with its saturated colors and lots of purple and magenta... too bad the plot and characters didn't stand up to the artstyle. It also had a really cool song for its OP.

That episode with the modified ending that hinted that Sora's existence had gotten erased due to a game he had played really caught me off guard, even though most of the games themselves were often too weird to actually catch my attention, since the random rules meant that I couldn't tell how they'd win, but still had the certainty that they would do so without fail in the end. I've got to agree that it's one of the shows I'd never recommend to someone simply because of how much freaking loli fanservice is in it, though.

Quasar

Yeah, it's amazing how good some of it looked. What other similar shorts do they have?

Mokoto Shinkai also directed:

she and her cat
Voices of a distant star
The place promised in our early years
5cm per second
Children who chase lost voices

Some of them are on Crunchyroll.

Cornbread78

Hoshi wo ou kodomo was enjoyable. It's also really beautiful.

I couldn't find it, but I'll keep looking.

Mokoto Shinkai also directed:

she and her cat
Voices of a distant star
The place promised in our early years
5cm per second
Children who chase lost voices

Some of them are on Crunchyroll.

Oh crap, I think I'very most of those, I didn't even realize it was the same guy, he's usually more artsy with his inagry, rather than realistic.

OK, I need another fun, ecchi comedy to watch. I don't mind fanservice as long as it's not the gross loli or incest shit. Just a fun watch. Think American Pie here..

Man Gundam Orphans is really entertaining. Episode 7 had some great battles and some random fan service. I like the twin tail girl who will inevitably join Mikas harem.

Jaxec

I couldn't find it, but I'll keep looking

OK, I need another fun, ecchi comedy to watch. I don't mind fanservice as long as it's not the gross loli or incest shit. Just a fun watch. Think American Pie here..

It's English name is Children who Chase Lost Voices, so you've probably seen it.

Also for some fun ecchi (some less ecchi):
Sora no Otoshimono
B Gata H Kei
Baka to Test
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom