• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I get the urge to give Cross Ange another chance.

Usually subsides fairly quickly though.

Follow your urges.

I don't even understand how.

It's just shows I liked well enough that I could put it on my top 10. Of course I can cut like half of them, but it's where I always start. There are a bunch of 7/10s that I like but probably won't actually put on my list.

I also watch a lot.

My thoughts on Cross Ange...

0e5fd0091333b94cbde2f764970076238119d6a807e73edf1e4b86c9e85c2383.jpg

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 7

An all female crew is an interesting contrast from the all male Tekkadan. Given that this is Gundam though, I don't expect them to make it, much as I would like them to.

Aside from that I had fun watching this one. Good action and good character interactions.

fertygo

Garo S1
Haikyuu S2
Aikatsu
Gundam IBO
Stardust Crusader
Shirobako
One Punch Man
UBW
Yugioh ARC-V
Ace of Diamond

order undecided yet

Also still not finishing Euphonium for some reason despite liking 7 eps or so that I watched

year ain't that bad for me with how I digging the long running show n this season

Code Geass Akito the Exiled 04

CU4JQlIUcAA7dL7.png:large

The most exciting part of Akito 4 was the teaser for Akito 5.

The problem with Akito is that it has the Code Geass name, look, and even some of the characters in it but none of what people actually like about Code Geass. Akito is no Lelouch and his brother is no Schneizel. Leila is no C.C. or Kallen. I don't actually like any of the characters here. There aren't any crazy twists or keikaku. Suzaku and Lelouch are put on the backburner only to show up once an episode for a minute and every time it happens its like "No wait, this is way more interesting then Akito and his bozo squa-oh they're gone." C.C. shows up like once in a flashback or a vision, Kallen and the knights are doing something but it doesn't show you. I feel like being placed between R1 and R2 could have worked if it actually followed someone interesting, but as it is Akito just feels pointless. Nothing of major consequence can or will happen. The most Geass thing about it is the "Die" command which is just the "Live" command Lelouch put on Suzaku but used all the goddamn time.

I guess Leila has some kind of Geass canceler like Orange? It doesn't work on her and she has some kind of blue Geass thing. I hope she was just C.C. the whole time, normally that would be dumb but then I would have a reason to care. I'm still watching in the hopes something crazy happens to justify this series, or some kind of tease for something new. Lelouch and Suzaku are in prison now or some shit and I don't even know how that happened. Ideally the final episode would be about that.

The CG mech battles still look great, but that's pretty much all it has going for it. Remove the CLAMP and the Geass name and you have an average mecha series that is more about fights then keikaku that no one would remember.

Shouta

Heavy Object Episode 8

This show is entertaining in both the best and worst possible ways.

....I don't know if I like it, but I feel compelled to keep watching.

Heavy Object ep.8
Lol at the princess firing those shots in a sports bra after talking to the boys. This show continues to teeter on the edge of lameness, but comes out fun and entertaining instead. Good stuff!

Isn't it ep 9 this week? lol

On that note, yeah this show keeps bouncing from lame to awesome every episode. It's actually a little amusing that it manages to do that. I don't think I've seen a show recently make use of two guys fantasizing about being dominated as a joke as much as this show, lol. I had to laugh a bit at the comment about using imagination to warm up as well.

This was a pretty good episode. I loved the engineering solutions to their predicaments in this ep, even more so than the others so far. We got Havia back story too.

I don't even remember many stand up shows this year to vote on. I'll have to refresh my mind. Don't expect anything in winter to be good anyways, so probably can use that time to catch up on Gintama and then make my final list.

Was the ghibli show this year or last? Guess I'll have to remind myself.

fertygo

The problem with Akito is that it has the Code Geass name, look, and even some of the characters in it but none of what people actually like about Code Geass. Akito is no Lelouch and his brother is no Schneizel. Leila is no C.C. or Kallen. I don't actually like any of the characters here. There aren't any crazy twists or keikaku. Suzaku and Lelouch are put on the backburner only to show up once an episode for a minute and every time it happens its like "No wait, this is way more interesting then Akito and his bozo squa-oh they're gone." C.C. shows up like once in a flashback or a vision, Kallen and the knights are doing something but it doesn't show you. I feel like being placed between R1 and R2 could have worked if it actually followed someone interesting, but as it is Akito just feels pointless. Nothing of major consequence can or will happen. The most Geass thing about it is the "Die" command which is just the "Live" command Lelouch put on Suzaku but used all the goddamn time.

I guess Leila has some kind of Geass canceler like Orange? It doesn't work on her and she has some kind of blue Geass thing. I hope she was just C.C. the whole time, normally that would be dumb but then I would have a reason to care. I'm still watching in the hopes something crazy happens to justify this series, or some kind of tease for something new. Lelouch and Suzaku are in prison now or some shit and I don't even know how that happened. Ideally the final episode would be about that.

The CG mech battles still look great, but that's pretty much all it has going for it. Remove the CLAMP and the Geass name and you have an average mecha series that is more about fights then keikaku that no one would remember.

I rather liked the atmosphere of Akito tho, melancholic-ish that the TV show only have here and there due to goes full speed ahead pacing

The worst thing about Akito is how lazy it is. The setting change gave them a chance to make something a bit different, but instead they made it a retread of the whole oppressed Japanese thing and made the EU a dull copy of Britannia. It's a rehash of the main series except with more boring characters.

Line_HTX

Well I'm glad kewlmyc posted that reference cos I wasn't sure whether it was something one would be allowed to post on here.

I thought that anime was supposed to be all about haughty ojousamas. I did not expect to see a screenshot of "Huh?! You like embarrassing me?! Huh?!" in there.

So whats GAFs consensus on this season so far? I've basically been watching Gundam and nothing else. I dropped both magic high school anime that were on Crunchyroll, Comet Lucifer, and I'm about to drop Young Black Jack because its just boring to me now. I haven't tried Beautiful Bones, but it looks like nothing more than CSI: Anime. Haven't tried the other magic high school anime, but I cant imagine it being much more than trash like the other 2.

Quasar

Was expecting more reactions from the latest Noragami episode. It's a pretty controversial episode.

Whats the controversial bit.

I found it a pretty interesting episode. The god family tree is pretty interesting and godlike. And its kind of interesting how quickly Hiyori mostly forgets about the gods.

Izanami-Hiyori is pretty...even with centipedes.

Quasar

I think the consensus is that this year and season has been meh.

One punch man is the only show I genuinely look forward to every week.

I'm enjoying what I'm watching, despite it being the season with the least shows I'm watching in the 3 years I've been watching simulcasts.

I guess I most look forward to is Noragami, Perfect Insider and Owarimonogatari.

As for the year, this seems like the year where most of the things that were of interest I'd already read the source material. That negatively impacted my enthusiasm overall. And that seems unlikely to change given the continuing lack of original material.

Line_HTX

I think the consensus is that this year and season has been meh.

One punch man is the only show I genuinely look forward to every week.

For the most part, this year's Fall season has been below average overall. Usually I would think that Fall season has the heavy hitters, but there hasn't been one that stood out except One Punch Man.

I'm glad to say that this year was the first time ever that I followed something week to week for the entire year. There was the last half of Cross Ange, Food Wars and Dungeon, Shimoneta and GATE, and One Punch Man.

JCG

The worst thing about Akito is how lazy it is. The setting change gave them a chance to make something a bit different, but instead they made it a retread of the whole oppressed Japanese thing and made the EU a dull copy of Britannia. It's a rehash of the main series except with more boring characters.

With all due respect, that's some bizarre judgment on your part. There is obviously a common theme, which Kazuki Akane himself wanted to continue addressing in his own way because it was one of the specific things he found appealing from the original Code Geass (along with the alternate history angle), but the new setting is in fact rather different in multiple ways.

Calling the E.U. a copy of Britannia just because the Japanese aren't well-treated seems rather shortsighted. Obviously this kind of theme would be more interesting for a guy from Japan like Akane than for other people from halfway across the world, but there are additional themes at work here as well. Nor is it even remotely fair to call Akito the Exiled a "rehash" either, when the structure of the story is completely different and the methods used to convey it are also not the same.

So whats GAFs consensus on this season so far? I've basically been watching Gundam and nothing else. I dropped both magic high school anime that were on Crunchyroll, Comet Lucifer, and I'm about to drop Young Black Jack because its just boring to me now. I haven't tried Beautiful Bones, but it looks like nothing more than CSI: Anime. Haven't tried the other magic high school anime, but I cant imagine it being much more than trash like the other 2.

Did you check out OPM? Trying out the first season of Haikyuu also wouldn't be a bad idea.

Those two + IBO is probably the best this season has to offer.

If you're into it you could also give Hackadoll or Somera chan a go, they're kinda random but also very short so it's super easy to watch an episode and see if you dig it.

umaru3.jpg

narag & duckroll at the daily mobage meet

I think I saw this one already.

You just revealed yourself as a filthy mobage fan.

b7TbOkz.jpg

Did you check out OPM? Trying out the first season of Haikyuu also wouldn't be a bad idea.

Those two + IBO is probably the best this season has to offer.

I never read the Manga so I didn't try OPM. As for Haikyuu thats the volleyball one right? I'm not a fan of sports anime. Thought about trying Utawarerumono but that too kind of looks generic :/

I never read the Manga so I didn't try OPM. As for Haikyuu thats the volleyball one right? I'm not a fan of sports anime. Thought about trying Utawarerumono but that too kind of looks generic :/

Definitely try out OPM then, you don't have to read the manga for it to be fun, the anime is really cool. Give it a shot as it's probably going to be the best show of the season for many.

As for Haikyuu, it's a sport anime to the core, and a very good one a that. If you don't like it that's fine but it can't hurt to try.

I'd probably wait for more episodes of Utawarerumono to come out, there were a lot of slow episodes but it seems like the ball might just start rolling after the most recent one. Apparently it's two cour so just wait it out until people say it's become good.
If you don't mind furries in hot baths you can still watch the current episodes though.

mobage is the future

JCG

The problem with Akito is that it has the Code Geass name, look, and even some of the characters in it but none of what people actually like about Code Geass..

Depends on what said people liked in the first place. There's like three different aspects to this topic:

a) Personal feelings aside, that's actually a good thing in the long run. In this day and age, Valvrave and Cross Ange may have all the craziness in the world yet they didn't exactly light the charts on fire, to say the least, because there's always something missing from the equation. Facing that reality, the wisest move is to open new doors rather than trying to keep the old ones open. The entire purpose of Akito the Exiled was/is to help expand the property with new elements, not to automatically repeat the TV series. There are new characters and different situations that match the tastes and interests of director Akane, who is not trying to blindly copy what Goro Taniguchi already did. It's always risky to not give fans exactly what they believe they want, in the short term, but sometimes properties need to take such risks in order to attract a different and potentially larger audience. And who knows, the next project might be closer to your preferences even if it's not exactly the same either.

b) Like it or not, Akito is still making a decent amount of money (not necessarily a net profit when you factor in the unexpected delays, but I digress). From a purely business-related point of view, all of the Akito the Exiled volumes have sold fairly well to this day, despite the ridiculous release gaps and regardless of the limited amount of familiar content (part three had the most things in common, given the extended cameo of Lelouch and Suzaku, but it wasn't even the highest selling one). Some might keep up with it out of "brand loyalty" or whatever, naturally, but there are also people who even prefer Akito over the TV show or who at least accept it as an interesting side story to the main work. Plus I'd argue there are a few crazy or over-the-top elements too, just not coming through in a constant weekly barrage (which the OVA format makes impossible).

c) I would like to talk about the characters and the ups and downs of their portrayal (and why Akito is not remotely trying to come across like Lelouch at all), but I think the single best answer is this: you need to watch all four (five) episodes in a row to start getting into them. Otherwise, it'll be ridiculously easy to forget stuff and lose investment. Even back in Japan they kept putting the previous Akito episodes on streaming and on TV before the premieres. Beyond that, the rest depends on how open-minded you are to watching an "average mecha show" in the first place. I don't have any issues with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom