• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comet Lucifer Episode 9

Okay 2nd best Comet Lucifer Episode thus far.
Do Mon emotions but then when the insert song kicks up amid the action, and explosions and tht marvelous save of Felia. Then Sougo entered Moura

This has such good mecha action this season.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 9
cz4sEaO.png
Best girl getting stripped down today. So lewd

Kamichu - 11

Well, this show's among the most endearing anime I've seen and if I were Cajun I would've squeed myself to death this episode.

I also may have teared up at the end. Gotta look up the director when I consider how well this show works for me.

ED is pretty great, too. Love the simple animation of the character playing instruments alongside.

edit:
Haha go figure, the director, Masashi Ishihama, also directed Shin Sekai Yori and has what seems to be a quite impressive animation director resume, too. Looks like OPs aren't his only forte.

jett

D-Member
From Yu Yu Hakusho

Are Nintendo's playing cards really that ubiquitous in Japan? Or is this just some funny reference? :p

BTW, what exactly is the deal with male characters in shonen anime that totally look female, like Kurapika, Kamura or Shun from Saint Seiya? They don't crossdress or are trans. They're just guys that look like girls. Why aren't they just female? I can only guess is some sort of loophole to not actually have have women getting beaten up or something.

Kamichu - 11

Well, this show's among the most endearing anime I've seen and if I were Cajun I would've squeed myself to death this episode.

I also may have teared up at the end. Gotta look up the director when I consider how well this show works for me.

ED is pretty great, too. Love the simple animation of the character playing instruments alongside.

edit:
Haha go figure, the director, Masashi Ishihama, also directed Shin Sekai Yori and has what seems to be a quite impressive animation director resume, too. Looks like OPs aren't his only forte.

The director of Kamichu is Koji Masunari (R.O.D., Magi). Ishihama only directed its OP. From the New World was Ishihama's first direction job outside OPs.

BTW, what exactly is the deal with male characters in shonen anime that totally look female, like Kurapika, Kamura or Shun from Saint Seiya? They don't crossdress or are trans. They're just guys that look like girls. Why aren't they just female? I can only guess is some sort of loophole to not actually have have women getting beaten up or something.

I don't know about the other two, but Kurapika doesn't look female.

jett

D-Member
The director of Kamichu is Koji Masunari (R.O.D., Magi). Ishihama only directed its OP. From the New World was Ishihama's first direction job outside OPs.

I don't know about the other two, but Kurapika doesn't look female.

Hmm maybe it was mostly he's obviously female voice that makes me put him in that group of characters.

Oh okay. Was a bit confused just now actually since you mentioned this being a good show with an Ishihama OP, which somewhat implies he wasn't directing the the actual show himself.

Looks like MAL got this wrong then because there's absolutely no mention Koji Masunari and Ishihama is credited as director.

I should probably just use wiki instead of MAL >_<

Busaiku

Nintendo's not even trump cards, they're hanafuda.
Also, feminine-looking guys are generally more popular with female viewers than girls.

Oh okay. Was a bit confused just now actually since you mentioned this being a good show with an Ishihama OP, which somewhat implies he wasn't directing the the actual show himself.

Looks like MAL got this wrong then because there's absolutely no mention Koji Masunari and Ishihama is credited as director.

I should probably just use wiki instead of MAL >_<

The ANN Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive and accurate English database of anime staff. Japanese Wikipedia contains a fair bit of information about staff, but English Wikipedia is more sparse in that regard.

Qurupeke

Code Geass R2 [END]

Man, that was great. Yeah, I guess Lelouch's death(Did he really die? I guess so, but that last remark was a bit weird...) was imminent but I think this was delivered masterfully. I was afraid Suzaku would die too, but it was nice to see him back, as Nunally's knight. I guess it can be considered a happy ending, at least for those who survived. It was certainly a tragic story for Lelouch, but I guess for those that knew that he's Zero, he won't be remembered as a tyrant.

It also managed to deliver some amazing battles, like the last one between Guren and Lancelot or Orange being amazing as always. Him working at an orange farm in the end, was just amazing. Certainly the most entertaining character.

Overall,
I was prepared for a super hyped series and I was expecting this to be good but overestimated. Same happened with Gurren Lagann. I found this even better though. Both S1 and S2 were strong, but I felt like it kept getting better and better, it's finale was its peak, not like GL.

If I had to say things I didn't like, this would probably be some idiotic choices characters had made. Even the final battle could be considered that, as the Black Knights forgot that Zero helped them and they co-operated with Schneizel despite being one of the prime enemies. It just felt a great way to kill themselves, they could just co-operate with Zero and do his plan from the very start. But I guess this was Lelouch's fault.

His character was certainly rather unique. I compared him with Death Note's Light, but this was certainly wrong, at least after the first season. He was someone that kept lying and lying but not for him. He was cruel, but it wasn't like he didn't understand this. He kept taking the burden, just so he could destroy it with him, as he did. Rather interesting I'd say.

10/10 man. So, for anyone that hasn't watched this yet... I command you to watch it. Like right now..

The ANN Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive and accurate English database of anime staff. Japanese Wikipedia contains a fair bit of information about staff, but English Wikipedia is more sparse in that regard.

Okay, good to know. A pity that ANN has one of the ugliest website layouts. Almost hurts my eyes to look at this mess.

Code Geass R2 [END]
10/10 man. So, for anyone that hasn't watched this yet... I command you to watch it. Like right now..

I'm honestly surprised you legit enjoyed this as much as you did. Many disregard Geass R2 as a really weak season only saved by its last five episodes being so darn insane.

Comet Lucifer - 9

HOLY SHIT, AN ACTUAL GOOD EPISODE OF COMET LUCIFER.

First off, we have Sogo getting the ability to pilot Moura's mecha form, making him more useful.

The CG mecha animation is the best that it's ever been (and by best I mean the least bad because 2D robots are still superior).

And that final OMG moment when Do Mon got killed. When he saw Sogo's mom I honestly thought that he was already dead and was going to heaven with her.

Really, I'm surprised that most of the major drama in this show has come from the adult side characters rather than the teenage main characters.

I'm not sure if this show can fully redeem itself in 3 more episodes, but this was definitely a step in the right direction. Good stuff.

Qurupeke

I'm honestly surprised you legit enjoyed this as much as you did. Many disregard Geass R2 as a really weak season only saved by its last five episodes being so darn insane.

I guess people expected more of Charles? I wasn't really a fan of how this was handled, with VV dying so quickly and Charles generally doing nothing, but if anything the whole story about Geass was the least exciting part of the show and I was happy they didn't bother with it so much. It's exactly like Death Note. You don't care about the Death Note, it's just a tool that helps the character and the story to progress. It was really good that not many people with Geass appeared, as I was afraid that the show would become a festival of people with supernatural powers.

Ascheroth

Okada Gundam - 09

I like the non-combat episodes in this a lot. Lots and lots of character building as we grow familiar with the whole crew. Interesting direction with Tekkadan now
being affiliated with Teivaz and the Turbines

Comet Lucifer - 09

That was really cool.
Souga can now actually pilot Moura and what happened to Do Mon at the end was a real OMG moment.

Comet Lucifer - 9

HOLY SHIT, AN ACTUAL GOOD EPISODE OF COMET LUCIFER.

First off, we have Sogo getting the ability to pilot Moura's mecha form, making him more useful.

The CG mecha animation is the best that it's ever been (and by best I mean the least bad because 2D robots are still superior).

And that final OMG moment when Do Mon got killed. When he saw Sogo's mom I honestly thought that he was already dead and was going to heaven with her.

Really, I'm surprised that most of the major drama in this show has come from the adult side characters rather than the teenage main characters.

I'm not sure if this show can fully redeem itself in 3 more episodes, but this was definitely a step in the right direction. Good stuff.

You really have no excuse not to watch Fafner. :p
The original Fafner has 2D mechs and Exodus has CG done by the same studio as Comet Lucifer.
Exodus is also the AOTY that sadly not many watch, because you'd need to have watched a 2004 show to fully enjoy it.

JCG

It's not the so-called party line, but there's always been a number of people around here who actually liked various parts of R2, to a greater or lesser extent, or who at least felt the show worked as a whole in retrospect. This isn't a new or unusual phenomenon.

Frankly, it helps that the ultimate conclusion combines the best of both worlds. There is craziness, to be sure, but it's not truly random and does legitimately tie together a fair amount of earlier material, especially in terms of the main character(s).

It's exactly like Death Note. You don't care about the Death Note, it's just a tool that helps the character and the story to progress.

Pretty much. The "Lelouch of the Rebellion" part of the title is more relevant than the "Code Geass" one (regardless of certain fan theories).

Qurupeke

Nunnally in Wonderland OVA

Hilarious. I'd watch a series based on this. lol The way they subverted some of the more serious plot elements like the Nippon Zone and the Freija was awesome. The scene with the kings and queens was amazing. Haha

Ascheroth

Fafner Exodus - 19

Akira sure didn't take
Hitotos death
easy. Can't really blame him :/
And shit,
Sakura and Kenji
are getting married. What a happy occassion!... is what I'd say id this wasn't Fafner. They'll probably die a horrible death pretty soon, won't they. Happy things don't happen in this show without a horrible price.
Mech upgrade!
And holy shit, was that
Kouyou at the end
? Hell yeah.
I also really like how the show has me on the edge of my seat every battle, because it's absolutely impossible to predict if someone's going to survive or not.

Fafner Exodus - 20

Wow. Just wow. That battle was absolutely incredible (again). Mark Vier is back and everyone is a badass showcasing their upgraded mechs. Especially Seri.
Assimiliating the Leviathan type? Hell yeah.
But of course, there can't just be no sacrifices...
RIP Mimika.
Was not prepared for that (again).
Switch back to the other team, Narain sure kicked the Morgan-unit bastards figuratively in the ass. I'm on the enemy side this time. Seriously, they deserve to be slaughtered.

The crystal theme they've going is also seriously stunning to look at, be it in 2D background form or in CGI form during battles.

You really have no excuse not to watch Fafner. :p
The original Fafner has 2D mechs and Exodus has CG done by the same studio as Comet Lucifer.
Exodus is also the AOTY that sadly not many watch, because you'd need to have watched a 2004 show to fully enjoy it.

I feel like after watching Gundam SEED and Evangelion, I've already watched Fafner, haha.

DiaLover More;Blood Episode 9
CU_si-aWoAEFXkm.png

It's so much better with the Sakamaki's because she is so much more lively with them. The others just wanted to lock her away and do nothing. Ayato still the most concerned, best.

The music is still great, the best song used for Raito's moment
CU_r2gFW4AECuhS.png
CU_r2hPWwAE2xDv.png

Taruranto

I'll let you guys choose my next anime to watch. I don't give a fuck what it is, good, bad, trashy, psychotic or mushy. Just 2cours max..

Come to a consensus...

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78&status=2

You should check some older stuff.

Utena, Princess Tutu, Terra E... to name a few.

Is a bunch of guys being complete pricks to you really a fantasy for women?

Not like it is different for (straight) guys, look how popular are violent tsundere.

Fafner Exodus - 19

Fafner Exodus - 20

Koyo is 3/3 for saving people underwater now. And the Mark Funf is 4/4 on pilot deaths.

And watching the part with the
island ghosts really made me wonder if Matsuki Miyu hadn't passed away recently, would Shoko have spoken during that moment?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
One Punch Man Episode 9:

What is the measure and the make up of being a true hero, that is the question this episode asks, and has quite a few answers for it actually.

Ascheroth

I feel like after watching Gundam SEED and Evangelion, I've already watched Fafner, haha.

Well, that's certainly one way to describe it, lol.
You should still watch it, though :p

One Punch Man - 09

Licenceless Rider is the true hero. And Genos is Genos, haha.
Another really good episode overall. The animation was incredible.

phaze

Owarimonogatari 09
The more I see of Gaen, the more I like her. I'd probably grown a bit tired with 20 minutes of almost unrelenting exposition were I marathoning this arc as I did with all the previous entries but watching it weekly, I can eat it up no problem.
This time of his arrival is puzzling
but I'm glad we're getting an explanation for the frequent supernatural occurences in Arararararagi's hometown.

One Punch Man 09

These dumb reasons for not giving Saitama the recognition he deserves are even worse when voiced out loud.

Expected more effort to be put into the final punch but Genos fight had some really nice cuts.

Concrete Revolution Episode 9

They didnt realize that they would be able to come back? Jiro got all sad for nothing. But he should just come back to the bureau, I liked them all interaction and being together again.

One Punch Man 9

Anime. Saved.

Such amazing A-game animation and fight sequences, and the speech. Dark comedy was spot on with Mumen Rider
getitng rekt
hahaha. And of course the anti-climactic end to the battle because OPM.

Genos really is here to bring us the cool fight sequences hahaha.

There is zero doubt in my mind that One Punch Man is the #1 anime of the year for me. It has delivered on every front except being able to recreate with infinite detail some of the crazy manga scenes, but if you keep expectations in check and realize there's budget and time constraints and that they're already pushing their limits for the anime, then you forget those little details.

phaze

UBW had Rin making it WORST anime.

Clearly you dropped it during first few episodes cause she's not even in the top 5 worst things about it.

As a Fate fan I enjoy the fight coriagraphy in OPM more. It delivers constant adrenaline while fate fights kept getting worse until the Gil fight.

Funny I think the opposite. But maybe I should rewatch something other than the Archer- Lancer fight. <3 For me, the problem with the second half of UBW was the story focus on Caster and two archers which meant that amount of close quarter combat diminished quite a bit.

License Less Rider Man 09 - Unyielding JUSTICE

BASED LICENSE LESS RIDER FINALLY STEPPING UP TO TURN UP SOME FOOLS, WHY HAVEN'T YOU GUYS BENT YOUR KNEE TO THIS MASSIVE CHUCK OF PURE 100% JUSTICE!

The animation quality throughout the whole speech
azMVaY3.png
azMVaY3.png
. Thank you Madhouse for giving us the adaptation we deserve.

Stopped watching right around here. I mean, it's not really fun to watch the Sea King getting absolutely destroyed by this goggle-wearing madman.

One Punch Man - 09

Caught up with the previous episode and immediately had to watch this one. I kept thinking of Tora when hearing Sea King speak, with Koyama voicing and all.
First half was terrific. Not only with animation, but several nice shots, camera work and soundtrack timing. Mr Bicycle made me slightly emotional, which is to be commended.

javac

Funnily enough, I like Space Adventure COBRA nearly as much as I like Lupin! I decided to watch COBRA after I found out that Yuji Ohno, long running composer of the Lupin series from the red jacket show onwards, composed the theme song to COBRA. Both shows are quite similar in a few ways. Like COBRA, Lupin is a bit goofy and things don't always go right for him, but he still manages to be cool as heck at times. The humour is similar in both shows, and while COBRA's story continues between episodes, the green and red jacket Lupin shows manage to be just as gripping, even as standalone episodes.

If you liked COBRA, I highly suggest you check out the green and red jacket Lupin shows. Green ran from 1971 to 1972 and has 23 episodes. Red ran from 1977 to 1980 and has 155 episodes. Since the episodes are standalone, you can dip in and out. You wont regret it. I wouldn't advise starting with Fujiko Mine, as the characters and tone of that show are way different than usual.

Also, I have to admit, as much as I love the 1980's COBRA series, I'm not a huge fan of the original film and the modern stuff. They just didn't compare IMO. Also, another note - the Japanese voice actor for Crystal Bowie also voices Jigen Daisuke, and has been for 40 years.

Thanks for the in depth response! The person who recommended that I should watch Lupin also pointed out the fact that the humor is very similar among the two series, in particular the goofy yet cool and slick nature of Cobra. A very likable character for sure, I get the impression that Lupin will be just as likable! I think that you've convinced me to check the series out, in particular the green and red jacket series. It's a lot of episodes to get through, but at the same time if I enjoy the series that's all the better really! Since it seems to be mainly episodic I can just relax and get through it at my own pace, but as evidenced by my viewing of City Hunter 1 and 2 in particular, if I like a show I generally find it hard to stop :p

Not seen the Cobra film yet, likewise for the more recent OVA but I am interested in checking the film out, I heard that its a lot more psychedelic and trippy :p

Also thanks for the little bits of trivia there, Crystal Bowie is an awesome character and the voice acting contributes to that a lot!

That...actually looks pretty cool and something I might enjoy. Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. The music is really nice. I'll keep my eye on it, could be an interesting one, my first simulcast perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom