• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the spooky fuck. My phone just randomly joined the cyclejerk by playing 'Tank!' when I didn't touch it in hours @_@

I mean the music app was open in the background as there's no reason to close it, but it obviously was on pause and my phone lay on a smooth wooden surface, face up.

That reminds me, the one thing I genuinely do appreciate about Bebop are the excellent OP, ED and OST in general. Otherwise the show is decent but not really my thing.

JulianImp

I'm glad US got DBZ before DB, and even happier that the TV broadcasts switched to the Funimation over that Canadian dub. God, their editing was hilarious.

The only Canadian dub I enjoyed was Gundam Wing, Death Note, and Inuyasha.

I'd say that DB was definitely more interesting with its slight focus on adventuring, as opposed to getting beat by X -> training -> beating X -> getting beat by X+1 and repeating that pattern until the end of time. I can't deny I enjoyed Z as a kid, but vanilla felt better since it could do more stuff than just teleportation fights.

And yeah, I'd definitely add Fullmetal Alchemist and remove Haruhi. I remember my cousin who lives in Puerto Rico was quite into both FMA and Inuyasha back when I still went over there regularily during school's summer break.

I used to be really into anime during the 90s since a local chanel had several of them. I often watched Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2, Slayers, Irresponsible Captain Taylor and Dotto Koni-Chan. Then I kind of lost interest in the 2000s and only got back to it this decade, which was a shame since there was a dedicated anime channel back then that aired stuff such as Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion, which I only ended up watching much later.

Cowboy Bebop is a great show (10/10 imo) but the people who desperately cling to it don't want to hear that Yamato 2199 or Ping Pong or the best episode of Dandy S2 are as good or better, they just want to prop it up as an example of how shit was better in da 90z

And Trigun, what? Trigun isn't even close to that level

But the 90s man. You can't beat anime classics like The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Daria.

Cornbread78

for a new page:

OK, so we are doing it, and everyone that hasn't watched this trainwreck yet, has no choice but to join in:

Next Let’s Watch is up: Future Diary a.k.a. Mirai Nikki!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148250

Come join us friends!

PrbX379.jpg

Yandere chicks rock!

Eng. Dub available!

So I started watching Wolf Children finally. Currently past the part where
there's some wolf-man on human action
. ...I have no comment for now.

javac

Christmas episodes are one of my favorite tropes especially when it comes to anime. No reason as to why I bring that up, just wanted to share.

javac

Might be because we reached Christmas time and you've seen Ping Pong which features an excellent Christmas episode?

I'm not a very festive person but yeah Ping Pong got me thinking about it I guess. The use of Midnight Flight is fantastic and emotional. Wasted Tears is a great soundtrack. I haven't seen many Christmas episodes but the ones that I have seen I really enjoy for the most part and they generally stick out to me. The Big O had a nice one too that sticks out in my head for some reason but its been a while since I saw that show...man that was a nice show. Great soundtrack!

Qurupeke

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica 1

Woah. From the very first moment it completely surprised me. And damn, that's certainly a Shaft show. I already love the style and Chiwa Saito in another leading role. The atmosphere is amazing, with all those trippy effects and the antithesis of colours. Very creepy, in a good way. The calm tone in the voice of the more mysterious characters certainly helps too.

I'm still not 100% sure about the characters though. I'm not really used to watch stuff with the protagonists being young girls, but I guess I can ignore that for now, if the series is good. I just don't get why they should be cute, young girls in the first place. Stuff like Sailor Moon seems to have handled this a bit better with a bit more teenage looking girls, even though they're all about the same age. Again, I'm not saying that's it's a bad thing or a problem, I'm just not used to it.

Droplet

Next OT should have an "I think anime was only good in the 90s and that Cowboy Bebop is literally God, also I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years, what shows should I watch?" section.

phaze

Boy oh boy, this last episode of E7 ventured far far away into the asspull lands. Even before that, they throw a lot of shit at you and the logic of it all seems pretty suspect. But as I've stopped paying much attention about 2/5 through, I'm not really into the position to pick it apart. Will pen a few lines more later on.

Is there some in rl theory among physicists and the like that served as a source or inspiration for the "Question Limitation." ? Googling and finding nothing ... Such a weird plot device.

Line_HTX

Woah. From the very first moment it completely surprised me. And damn, that's certainly a Shaft show. I already love the style and Chiwa Saito in another leading role. The atmosphere is amazing, with all those trippy effects and the antithesis of colours. Very creepy, in a good way. The calm tone in the voice of the more mysterious characters certainly helps too.

I'm still not 100% sure about the characters though. I'm not really used to watch stuff with the protagonists being young girls, but I guess I can ignore that for now, if the series is good. I just don't get why they should be cute, young girls in the first place. Stuff like Sailor Moon seems to have handled this a bit better with a bit more teenage looking girls, even though they're all about the same age. Again, I'm not saying that's it's a bad thing or a problem, I'm just not used to it.

But it's forbidden love!

Puruzi

Banned

There's a reason the characters look the way they do

keep watching it

JulianImp

Sure, if you consider
the MC getting murdered
a good Christmas episode.

Anything with Makoto ending up like that is good in my book.

The character designs in Madoka designs aren't my cup of tea either, but they work well with the constant feeling of dissonance that permeates the show.

At least we didn't get ludicrous fanservice with all these infantilized girls, unlike with Gakkou Gurashi...

Line_HTX

Boy oh boy, this last episode of E7 ventured far far away into the asspull lands. Even before that, they throw a lot of shit at you and the logic of it all seems pretty suspect. But as I've stopped paying much attention about 2/5 through, I'm not really into the position to pick it apart. Will pen a few lines more later on.

Is there some in rl theory among physicists and the like that served as a source or inspiration for the "Question Limitation." ? Googling and finding nothing ... Such a weird plot device.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that aspect either. Having the dub call it The Limit of Questions made it sound like some theoretical question on the species population or something. I kind of interpreted to be about those things, lol. I think I made things more confusing. DUCKROLL HELP!

You'll understand why the characters are designed they way they are the more you watch the show.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it.

Maybe you'd like G Gundam better.

Firemind

You must watch some hyperactive shit then because that was an enjoyable character development episode.
- Second-in-command wants revenge for being shamed in their previous bout;
- Commanding officer finds it all very humerous and is intrigued by protagonist's skills;
- Scrub pilot wants revenge for his fallen sempai so naturally he'll be one of the first to bite the dust;
- Protagonist and his admirer give out lunches so admirable;
- Protagonist learns to spell his name;
- The crew wants the help of a seedy organization because their navigation system doesn't show them how to go to Earth who the fuck knows why.

Did I cover all the bases? In the previous 'action-packed' episode, their plan was to send a suit to 'sacrifice' himself (Eugene was his name?) and then he miraculously returned to the ship a minute later. The other ship didn't blow apart from a full frontal attack.

I guess it was too much to ask for a Gundam show not aimed at children with a single-minded purpose to sell toys.

From what people here told me there is in fact a concept behind that. However, the anime director/writers may have misunderstood or just mangled it for E7.

They misunderstood the purpose and just threw it in there?

Well, not like there's a whole lot of quality storytelling going on in E7 to begin with. It's pretty fucking dumb to introduce such a world-ending concept later into the show anyways, when nothing really build up to it.

Szadek

Shokugeki no Souma - Ep 12
The last few episode were really good.
Focousing on Megumi and her cooking skill was a great idea.
The ending was kind of an asspull, but I guess we can't have a Shounen without those.

Russ T

Banned
You'll understand why the characters are designed they way they are the more you watch the show.

I've seen the whole thing, and besides the fact that it's the trope... I have no idea why, either?

I admit, though, I'm not the biggest fan of Madoka. I think it's mostly all right.

People always say this but I never really got the impact of it. I understand what they were going for on paper but in practice it felt null and void.

Sign me up. I share the very same sentiment.

It's supposed to be a subversion of the magical girl genre, like how Evangelion was with the mecha genre.

The magical girl genre typically stars young girls with big dreams and big hearts, so it makes sense for them to be to portrayed as such in the show.

The same way Shinji was designed to be a normal-looking kid who gets asked to pilot a giant robot to save humanity, like mecha shows go.

Russ T

Banned
It's supposed to be a subversion of the Magical Girl genre, like how Evangelion was with the mecha genre.

The magical girl genre typically stars young girls with big dreams and big hearts, so it makes sense for them to be to portrayed as such in the show.

The same way Shinji was designed to be a normal-looking kid who gets asked to pilot a giant robot to save humanity, like mecha shows go.

Oh, I thought you meant there was a specific reason they had to be so young and adorable.

Like someone else said, in Sailor Moon they're older, and not as moe-cute-and-just-oh-so-precious, and that's the most experience I have with the magical girl genre.

It's supposed to be a subversion of the Magical Girl genre, like how Evangelion was with the mecha genre.

The difference is that Shinji felt like a well established human being I could easily empathize with whereas in Madoka Magica this doesn't happen at all. There's no immersion for me happening in there and I sort of distantly view the characters as being literally characters in a play. There was this unnatural feeling to the characters and story overall and it's actually really hard for me to pinpoint exactly just why Madoka Magica failed to immerse me at all.

Shameless, LOL

Took me way too long to notice what you meant >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom