• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Can this serve as a reminder for something I can start very soon, or does it have to be some where I'm just putting it off for the longest time?

Narag

Can this serve as a reminder for something I can start very soon, or does it have to be some where I'm just putting it off for the longest time?

It's just something to get around to within the calendar year. We should bring back the old rules where if you don't finish the show, you're given a year ban so you have time to at last.

John Blade

Well...I join in Narag for New Year’s resolution of my Anime Backlog.

As of now, I manage to finish quite a bit of my Anime Backlog of shows/OVA/movie I have own in my collection. I remember my backlog was around 100 from last year before I join here but now, manage to drop it down to 57 plus 7 other anime I am currently watching (make that 5 anime). Unfortunately, the backlog will increase rapidly when I get new batch of anime in my collection.

I am currently trying to get though the show below before the end of this year.

Great Teacher Onizuka
Grave of the Fireflies
Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing
Rahxephon and the Movie

It will be difficult right now as Rahxephon and Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing are not catching my attention as much as I expected. I will most likely finish Rahxephon TV show by the year end but need to see if I can get through the movie.

For Great Teacher Onizuka and Grave of the Fireflies, I am liking GTO quite a bit and Grave of the Fireflies, it's just a re-watch in Blu-ray as I did watch the movie few time before. I won't say much right now as people already know the movie but will say the animation look much better in HD and I am slowly notice stuff I have miss when I watch it few year ago.

As for 2016 New Year’s resolution of my Anime Backlog, I don't have a proper list of anime to watch as I will watch anything that interested me but here is my 10 animes I am trying to watch in 2016 in no order.

The entire Sakura Wars franchise which release in North America
Godnannar
The Garden of Words
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Watamote
Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Golgo 13 (TV series)
Madlax
The entire Clannad franchise

Man...I have tons of thing need to get done quickly.

John Blade

Post that list in January when I start collecting souls.

I try to remind myself about this. Also, hope you get the chance to watch ZZ Gundam. I feel like I need to watch that show but as of now, I will hold it till they release the North American version of the show.

To Cornbread78

Any update of Emma A Victorian Romance season 2?

Clov

I don't have much of a backlog, though I do have a few things that I want to watch I haven't gotten around to.

Right now I'm watching the Vampire Princess Miyu OVA. I might watch Seraph of the End afterwards, since a friend really wants me to watch it. Apart from that, I need to watch more Gintama (I've only seen the initial 200ish episodes), Turn A Gundam... and I can't think of much else. I have a few movies lined up, at least.

What I really want is to find something really good. Something I'd rank among my all-time favorites. Maybe I'll watch some of Takahata's TV work at some point. Votoms also looks pretty good. Maybe one of those will be up next.

John Blade

I don't have much of a backlog, though I do have a few things that I want to watch I haven't gotten around to.

Right now I'm watching the Vampire Princess Miyu OVA. I might watch Seraph of the End afterwards, since a friend really wants me to watch it. Apart from that, I need to watch more Gintama (I've only seen the initial 200ish episodes), Turn A Gundam... and I can't think of much else. I have a few movies lined up, at least.

What I really want is to find something really good. Something I'd rank among my all-time favorites. Maybe I'll watch some of Takahata's TV work at some point. Votoms also looks pretty good. Maybe one of those will be up next.

Are you into old animated show or the recent one? Also, genre will give us an idea of what anime I think you should look into.

Russ T

Banned
I've been rapidly clearing out my backlog over the past few months. Refuse to add anything to it until I'm done with at least Space Brothers (which I'm on now, just finished episode 33) and Ronin Warriors (which in all likelihood sucks, but, you know, childhood nostalgia).

That said, besides those two, my list at this point is a bunch of super long series...

- Gotta finish up watching DBZ Kai (and then GT?!) with my friend, we watch a few episodes every few weekends. So this one doesn't really count for backlog.
- I'm on episode 70-something of Gintama. A decent chunk left, but not insurmountable.
- I've watched green jacket Lupin, and am 20 episodes into red jacket. Green jacket is way better than what I've seen so far of red jacket. ): I remember loving red jacket when it was on Adult Swim, but... not so much anymore.
- And then there's, hehe, Case, hah!, Closed, hahwohoa heeeee yeah. (This will never happen.)

javac

I have a huge backlog but I got through some good stuff this year that I've been meaning to watch for a long time. I've had ups and downs this year and I'm just gonna take my time and enjoy it all.

Some of the stuff I completed this year:
  • RahXephon
  • Boogiepop Phantom
  • Tenshi no Tamago (Angel’s Egg)
  • Perfect Blue
  • Memories
  • Neo Tokyo (Meikyū Monogatari/Manie-Manie)
  • Flag
  • Macross: Do You Remember Love?
  • The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
  • City Hunter
  • Gunsmith Cats
  • Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies)
  • Genmu Senki Leda
  • Twilight Q
  • Nekojiru-sou (Cat Soup)
  • Treasure Island (Takarajima)
  • Metropolis
  • Kaiba
  • City Hunter 2
  • Junkers Come Here
  • Ping Pong

More planned for next year :D

John Blade

Well, I like both old and new anime, and I'm open to any genre.

I know this doesn't really help much. :p

Well...based on anime I have already watch, I will throw some anime at you. They're show I have already watch and got entertain when watching.

Blue Seed
Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures - A rip off of Evangelion but actually fun to watch.
Battle Angel Alita - I would recommend to read the manga as watching this without having an idea of what happend will make you get confuse and feel a bit rush.
Gunsmith Cats - Go watch this now.
Excel Saga
Iria: Zeiram The Animation - Good action show and not too long to watch.
Someday's Dreamers and sequel
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Watch the TV show only. Don't need to watch the OVA.
And Yet The Town Moves
Desert Punk
You're Under Arrest OVA- Just watch the OVA only. You will like this.
Starship Troopers (Japanese OVA not movie)
Video Girl Ai

Mature

Case Closed is auto-shit for not finishing.
Will make my official response to this statement in an open press conference tomorrow morning.

Is trigun even that good
Sure. It's a great setting with fun characters, and a serviceable story. Though it's an easy one for people to look through rose tinted glasses on since it's often spoken about in the same breath as other great shows.

javac

Detective Conan always looked cool, just way too long for me. I like the character designs in general. Funnily enough it was a German friend I had that I discovered it through way back when, they love it over there I think.

Alright so I'm putting this out here for you AnimeGAFfers that I keep an eye on like some dead relative who can't move on with their life. We old folks have saw the days of Smile Precure come by, a time where the community actually watched Precure and were exposed to a franchise that was made for a young audience. It is something that even darkside likes, despite not liking other series, including Heartcatch Precure.

So I am asking you who is willing to watch Glitter Force? The Saban Dub of Smile Precure? Would this be something even Shouta would watch for shits and giggles?

CVAhnqXU8AAnV5n.jpg:large

The dub as you can see is a "Netflix Original" (HA) and will start on December 18th. How will we see the dub get handled, beyond music changes (which I'm mixed on because the music blows already) and potential name changes thanks to ghetto 90s dubbing practices for kids shows?

Will it improve on things? Will they retain names, which is up in the air, given things like Digimon's strange localization of names? Who knows, what I want to know though, is are you willing to commit to watch Glitter Force and roll in the tears of our pain through this dub?

Russ T

Banned
Case Closed is auto-shit for not finishing.

I actually watched some of the newer episodes over the weekend and I guess they finally introduced new recurring characters somewhere in the 700 episodes between when I stopped watching and whatever the earliest on CR is.

Progress!

Clov

Well...based on anime I have already watch, I will throw some anime at you. They're show I have already watch and got entertain when watching.

Blue Seed
Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures - A rip off of Evangelion but actually fun to watch.
Battle Angel Alita - I would recommend to read the manga as watching this without having an idea of what happend will make you get confuse and feel a bit rush.
Gunsmith Cats - Go watch this now.
Excel Saga
Iria: Zeiram The Animation - Good action show and not too long to watch.
Someday's Dreamers and sequel
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Watch the TV show only. Don't need to watch the OVA.
And Yet The Town Moves
Desert Punk
You're Under Arrest OVA- Just watch the OVA only. You will like this.
Starship Troopers (Japanese OVA not movie)
Video Girl Ai

I've seen the titles in bold already. I might watch a few of the suggestions though! Gunsmith Cats and Video Girl Ai seem pretty fun, and I know a few of my friends liked Desert Punk.

I'm not sure if they're quite what I'm looking for, though. I really want to watch something that just resonates with me. Something that while I'm watching it, I'll know that I'm seeing one of the all-time greats. It's how I feel when I watch works like Texhnolyze and Lain, like Tatami Galaxy and Ping-Pong, like Utena and Princess Kaguya. It's difficult to explain. I guess in short I want to watch something that's just top of its class.

Puruzi

Banned
Alright so I'm putting this out here for you AnimeGAFfers that I keep an eye on like some dead relative who can't move on with their life. We old folks have saw the days of Smile Precure come by, a time where the community actually watched Precure and were exposed to a franchise that was made for a young audience. It is something that even darkside likes, despite not liking other series, including Heartcatch Precure.

So I am asking you who is willing to watch Glitter Force? The Saban Dub of Smile Precure? Would this be something even Shouta would watch for shits and giggles?

The dub as you can see is a "Netflix Original" (HA) and will start on December 18th. How will we see the dub get handled, beyond music changes (which I'm mixed on because the music blows already) and potential name changes thanks to ghetto 90s dubbing practices for kids shows?

Will it improve on things? Will they retain names, which is up in the air, given things like Digimon's strange localization of names? Who knows, what I want to know though, is are you willing to commit to watch Glitter Force and roll in the tears of our pain through this dub?

I'll watch it. Really doubt i'll like it though. Hope too much isn't edited

Sterok

I'm sure it will provide plenty of laughs, intentional or not.

Mature

I like laughing at the Glitter Force thing, but I'm not exactly sure I'd have the heart to watch it before at least trying the show proper.

sonicmj1

It's funny because I can't honestly tell if you had tears if emotion based on the show or tears because you hate it, lol. It didn't appear to go overboard at all for simple reasons really.

As a father of little girls, that scene in the field broke my soul.
There are many inherent truths about parenting and children in that sequence that you cannot ignore. Everytime I watch that part, it touches me deeply and serves as a good reminder to all parents how the little things in life with you family, often mean the most. That part about crying in his arms is a fatal gunshot from Sanae, the best mom/grandma in anime. I tear up just thinking about the gif of that very moment when Ushio jumps into Tomoya's arma aND says those words.. shit
He was too busy caught up in his own misery to realize this, them the second scene on the train when he talks about Nagisa gets me every time as he finally gets it. The whole episode is brilliant as Tomoya finally gets the full picture of his childhood as well as what he needs to do in his own life. To me, it is excellent writing to bring things full circle at that moment.

I am critical, but I really did like that scene. As you said, it touches on something very universal as well as being a wonderful bit of growth for Tomoya. Even though I think it goes a bit far, it's still my favorite moment in the show.

For me I was already taken when Ushio says about her lost robot, "It was the first thing I got from Papa." It's so powerful not just because it's the first time she calls him that, but also because it basically slaps Tomoya out of his own selfish depression. He had been convinced that she was only following him around out of some sense of obligation, or having nothing better to do, without realizing that he was still unbelievably important to her. He had been hurting someone who cared about him, despite all of the mistakes he'd made over the last number of years. And she still cared about him, because no matter what, he was still her father. All the tragedy of those lost years, and all the hope that he could still change, is contained in those words.

At that point I was on the verge of tears. Being reminded at that time of how Sanae contrived this whole thing made me not want to cry as much, but it didn't ruin the moment by any means.

I'll probably be curious and check it out to see how ridiculous the localizations get. Let's see if they get to rice balls = donuts levels of hilarity.

I'm still trying to figure out what Supercampeones is called in japanese/english. People loved it in SA, alongside Caballeros del Zodiaco.

Oliver e Benji, and Cavaleiros do Zodiaco. I grew up watching those back home lol. Also Detetive Conan and Evangelion. Don't think we localized the names too much.

EDIT: we also watched had Shin-Chan.

wow suddenly i feel inclined to actually watch all of case closed

(or just the movie where that's from)

It may have just been me being a kid and being easily impressed with things, but I remember absolutely loving Detective Conan. Because we got our episodes localized so late, it would air every 2 days. I remember going back to school the next day and arguing with my buddies about the whole "whodunit".

But with over 500 episodes and still ongoing, at this current time I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

they also defy gravity and can float in the air for ages.

Gotta deliver those super deep monologues with intensity maaan. Who would have thought of freezing the action, or putting it in super slow motion, right?

Yeah I liked it a lot when I watched it on Adult Swim!

P.S., it's over 800 episodes now...

Basically over 2 years worth of content if you watched 1 episode every day. Good lord. I would have hoped that Conan had grown a bit by now lol. I mean I went from watching it and being around his age to becoming an adult, and he's still the same shorty from back then ahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom