• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

So caught up with all of Owawrimonogatari.

Sodachi's arc was exceptionally well done though I'm not quite sure I like the concluding episode as much as the five preceding it.

The next arc, Shinobu Mail, isn't quite as strong but still trucking along well in good old Monogatari series fashion.

While I wasn't really fond of Sodachi's arc at first, it's easily one of the best arcs so far. The Ougi vs Hanekawa episode and the one where Koyomi and Hanekawa visit Sodachi are really on another level. I loved them so much.

I agree about Shinobu Mail, even though it has its moments, but it's still only half done so I expect more.

I'll read Mob Psycho 100 at some point either this christmas break or next year. I guess I'll have to judge its quality compared to the writing in OPM.

OPM for Murata got famous because of the incredible art just as much as the great source material, so I guess Mob 100 will entirely be on its writing.

Hopefully it too has a metal AF OP/soundtrack.

One aspect that's a bit lacking or strange about Owarimonogatari's Sodachi arc is Araragi's lapse in memory concerning his past encounters with Sodachi.

I mean one certainly has to consider that her anime design is of course much more unique and 'outstanding' than whatever the average Japanese girl would look like in reality. So it'd be pointless to state "how can you not recognize her Araragi, she got god damn silver-grey twin-tails! "

But there's still the fact that he apparently didn't recognize her when she returned in high school when he spent so much time with her during middle school. Araragi wasn't told her name and puberty did its part, too. Still, it' a bit sketchy.

Then there's Sodachi being present in the Koyomi household for a couple days before all that even.

Yet, I'm not sure if it's actually a flaw within the story. One major theme seems to concern this exact idea of forgetting people, even those you shouldn't. It's kinda striking actually. I have watched all of Mawaru Penguindrum recently and that show, too, tackles this idea of people becoming 'invisible'. It's about those unfortunate souls that don't have anyone that loves them, a difficult upbringing and just 'vanish' in society because they aren't of importance to anyone in particular or all of society. They're forgotten about—becoming invisible, so to say.

You really could draw a lot of parallels between Sodachi's arc and that subject in Mawaru Penguindrum. Neat coincidence I watched both in quick succession :>

TUSR

Banned
One aspect that's a bit lacking or strange about Owarimonogatari's Sodachi arc is Araragi's lapse in memory concerning his past encounters with Sodachi.

I mean one certainly has to consider that her anime design is of course much more unique and 'outstanding' than whatever the average Japanese girl would look like in reality. So it'd be pointless to state "how can you not recognize her Araragi, she got god damn silver-grey twin-tails! "

But there's still the fact that he apparently didn't recognize her when she returned in high school when he spent so much time with her during middle school. Araragi wasn't told her name and puberty did its part, too. Still, it' a bit sketchy.

Then there's Sodachi being present in the Koyomi household for a couple days before all that even.

Yet, I'm not sure if it's actually a flaw within the story. One major theme seems to concern this exact idea of forgetting people, even those you shouldn't. It's kinda striking actually. I have watched all of Mawaru Penguindrum recently and that show, too, tackles this idea of people becoming 'invisible'. It's about those unfortunate souls that don't have anyone that loves them, a difficult upbringing and just 'vanish' in society because they aren't of importance to anyone in particular or all of society. They're forgotten about—becoming invisible, so to say.

You really could draw a lot of parallels between Sodachi's arc and that subject in Mawaru Penguindrum. Neat coincidence I watched both in quick succession :>
The simple explanation was that the Araragi house hold had a lot of children coming and going like that. But somehow Nadeko was able to remember her because they met there.

I don't buy the inability of the 3 Araragi siblings to remember Sodachi.

If someone has a better explanation to this, id love to hear it. This detail/omission of information ruined the arc for me.

it has a 4/5 and only gets 'for fans only'? I guess I'll have to read the review. I mean it makes sense in the long run, a lot of his other work won't necessarily have the mass appeal of his big name films.

It's because they've removed the special features from the single discs, didn't upgrade the audio on all the movies and the price. :p

A collection like this is both exhilarating and frustrating. On one hand we have a beautifully packaged collection of films from one of cinema's rare talents that comes complete with a well-informed booklet and some new special features. On the other hand we have original special features stripped for no discernible reason, and missed opportunities to upgrade certain audio presentations.

Seeing Mob Psycho getting an anime adaption makes me want Penisman to get a anime as well.

qNu9EGr.jpg

People will then understand the glorious hero, Penisman.

Ah. So the pretty case/collector's status is the only reason to get it?

Depends on what you like more. They have more accurate subtitles in the collection, but no movie specific special features. And Ponyo did get a better JP audio track, even though the others didn't. And there's that bonus disc with new special features.

The simple explanation was that the Araragi house hold had a lot of children coming and going like that. But somehow Nadeko was able to remember her because they met there.

I don't buy the inability of the 3 Araragi siblings to remember Sodachi.

If someone has a better explanation to this, id love to hear it. This detail/omission of information ruined the arc for me.

Well she hardly interacted with the Araragi siblings so maybe they quickly stopped paying attention to her and at that age didn't feel too bothered by her strange behavior either. Meanwhile Nadeko herself was always rather withdrawn herself and may have noticed her more because of that.

So there's also the question about
Sodachi's mother's corpse. Really not sure how one could explain away the bones, especially when it was pointed out that her mother was considered missing, not dead.

That just doesn't sit right with me and is part of why the last episode of the arc didn't resonate as much with me.

Qurupeke

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica 10

Finally the episode I was waiting for.
I didn't really expect something like that. Damn, Homura is the real protagonist, the way they incorporated time travelling in this is really tragic. I really love how her character develops through all these loses and the pain. And it's pretty awesome that all of those futures didn't end the same way. Really great episode but I feel that Homura still fucked up in this universe too. Everyone's dead again, other than Madoka.

A short question: Was the voice actress on timid Homura the same as before? She sounds different.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica 11

Teacher and mother on a bar, talking about everything that happened and Madoka. That was a spectacular moment. lol

The Walpurgis Night fight was just breathtaking. So good. Homura is awesome. And finally, after 11 episodes Madoka finally will turn to a magical girl. lol I imagine people watching it weekly, waiting for this exact moment.

jonjonaug

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica 10

Finally the episode I was waiting for.
I didn't really expect something like that. Damn, Homura is the real protagonist, the way they incorporated time travelling in this is really tragic. I really love how her character develops through all these loses and the pain. And it's pretty awesome that all of those futures didn't end the same way. Really great episode but I feel that Homura still fucked up in this universe too. Everyone's dead again, other than Madoka.

A short question: Was the voice actress on timid Homura the same as before? She sounds different.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica 11

Teacher and mother on a bar, talking about everything that happened and Madoka. That was a spectacular moment. lol

The Walpurgis Night fight was just breathtaking. So good. Homura is awesome. And finally, after 11 episodes Madoka finally will turn to a magical girl. lol I imagine people watching it weekly, waiting for this exact moment.
Episode 11: It's actually worse than that. Due to the 2011 earthquake there was a delay of over a month after episode 10 aired.

TUSR

Banned
Well she hardly interacted with the Araragi siblings so maybe they quickly stopped paying attention to her and at that age didn't feel too bothered by her strange behavior either. Meanwhile Nadeko herself was always rather withdrawn herself and may have noticed her more because of that.

So there's also the question about
Sodachi's mother's corpse. Really not sure how one could explain away the bones, especially when it was pointed out that her mother was considered missing, not dead.

That just doesn't sit right with me and is part of why the last episode of the arc didn't resonate as much with me.
Yeah, I understand all of that. The explanation didn't feel solid enough for me to "believe/accept" it, along with the mother part you mentioned, the whole arc fell flat for me.

One of my favourite parts, outside of interactions with Ougi, was
the teacher raising her hand, being one of the votes against Sodachi.

Yeah, I understand all of that. The explanation didn't feel solid enough for me to "believe/accept" it, along with the mother part you mentioned, the whole arc fell flat for me.

One of my favourite parts, outside of interactions with Ougi, was
the teacher raising her hand, being one of the votes against her.

It's just kinda strange. This arc had super interesting character study basically and I loved getting to know more and more not just about Sodachi but Koyomi, too. But unfortunately there's always a few bits that just don't seem quite coherent and certainly hurt the story for me.

Koyomi's lapsing memory or Sodachi being forgotten was played up a tad too much, even if it was purposely exaggerated to some degree. Like I would've been perfectly fine with Koyomi forgetting about Sodachi until she shows up at high school. But for him to not even recognize who she was for a long time even then? I could maybe buy that more if he was genuinely kinda uncaring about her. But she seemed to play too important of a role previously for him to forget her that much. I mean, he genuinely seemed to care about her to a decent margin.

It's difficult, one the one hand I can see this really interesting narrative concerning how we remember people and how it's well spliced into all of this arc. On the other hand I still feel like I have to excuse some of the circumstances because the show just doesn't give enough justification.

I was also getting more and more unhappy with how Araragi solved the mysteries surrounding her. Episode 1 had him deriving the mysteries step by step in an interesting fashion whereas from episode 4-6 this kind of detective work seemed to grow weaker. When one episodes ends with the big question "how did she know about Koyomi's parents professions?" and the next episode immediately starts with "oh well she was actually living in their house for a couple days" that's weak.

Ah well, still not quite sure what to think of it all. But Owarimonogatari's first 3 episodes where pretty much a straight 10/10 for me and then ep4 and 6 a 8/10 whereas 5 gets a 9/10 (just fuck me, what a glorious voice acting performance).

Could've been perfection as the flaws seem kinda avoidable and unnecessary, but oh well.

Patison

Gintama 1-8

Yup, finally decided to watch it. I really don't get all the complaints about beginning of this series and I thought I was the nitpicky one :lol

It's not that funny (yet, I guess) but the world, characters and their storylines are very interesting.

Loved episode 8, which started with different intro and was centred on Shinsengumi but then Gin appears, he's like "hey, that's my show!" and proper opening plays. That was great!

Squishy3

Gintama 1-8

Yup, finally decided to watch it. I really don't get all the complaints about beginning of this series and I thought I was the nitpicky one :lol

It's not that funny (yet, I guess) but the world, characters and their storylines are very interesting.

Loved episode 8, which started with different intro and was centred on Shinsengumi but then Gin appears, he's like "hey, that's my show!" and proper opening plays. That was great!
It's still good in the early parts, just doesn't deliver hit after hit until a certain point. The time machine gag from the Kagura introduction is still one of my favorites.

Do studios or individuals publish these regularly? Also seeing how this is was put on GitHub not only is this person open to the methods used, he's also providing the actual files used so that anyone can download. So weird to see how this was done through code. I'm in Software Development, but this is all stuff that I've never even dabbled in. He calls himself a wannabe at the end of the post, but this is legit. It's pretty damn cool.

As an aside about Perfect Insider, whenever I google it I see this and other images from the live-show:

4592_ThePerfectInsider_Roku_Thumb.jpg

Screen_shot_2014-10-16_at_4.45.24_PM.png

Are these two supposed to be Sohei and Moe?

Qurupeke

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica [END]

This ending. That was so epic, but so sad too. I didn't expect it to become so emotional and I have to say that it really got me, especially this scene with Madoka's parents and the one with the violin. The series was, more or less, excellent. As I said, I didn't expect it to be like that. Dark, creepy, terrifying, these are words that can perfectly describe it. It was a tragic story for almost all the characters.
Poor Sayaka didn't survive, again. :(

I'm not sure if this was a subversion of the magical girl trope, which more or less it was, based on my little experience with the genre, but it was a complete subversion of my expectations. As I said, I was prepared, knowing that this isn't a happy go lucky anime, but in the end it was far from it, as the "happy" moments were only a handful, which I personally didn't expect at all.

Another thing I loved is the whole style of the series. The colours are perfect for this. Scenes with many light colours, scenes with a mix of dark and light colours and a lot of "sunset" colours. The use of them was just so good. The weird, more realistic images that appeared during the fights also helped to form this eerie atmosphere in the show. Shaft are really doing an amazing work when they present such stuff.

Oh, and what movies should I watch now? Are all of them just recaps?

This ending. That was so epic, but so sad too. I didn't expect it to become so emotional and I have to say that it really got me, especially this scene with Madoka's parents and the one with the violin. The series was, more or less, excellent. As I said, I didn't expect it to be like that. Dark, creepy, terrifying, these are words that can perfectly describe it. It was a tragic story for almost all the characters.

I'm not sure if this was a subversion of the magical girl trope, which more or less it was, based on my little experience with the genre, but it was a complete subversion of my expectations. As I said, I was prepared, knowing that this isn't a happy go lucky anime, but in the end it was far from it, as the "happy" moments were only a handful, which I personally didn't expect at all.

Another thing I loved is the whole style of the series. The colours are perfect for this. Scenes with many light colours, scenes with a mix of dark and light colours and a lot of "sunset" colours. The use of them was just so good. The weird, more realistic images that appeared during the fights also helped to form this eerie atmosphere in the show. Shaft are really doing an amazing work when they present such stuff.

If you really loved this ending, stay far away from the Rebellion movie.

The first two movies are recaps with some extra animation here and there.

phaze

Exclusive sneak peak of the making of the One Punch Man OP:

sGNmvvi.gif

I hope you watched Deadman Wonderland's op.

Sayaka best grill.

Rebellion is worth it for the visuals alone, do watch it.

The best thing about Rebellion are the first 30 minutes. At least everything before the
Mami Vs Homura fight

The part where they all transform is legit, best scene hands down

Qurupeke

Watch Rebellion

Movie 1 and 2 are recaps

they have some neat added animation bits though

If you really loved this ending, stay far away from the Rebellion movie.

The first two movies are recaps with some extra animation here and there.

Should I watch the movie or not? lol I'd be up for more, but if it really fucks everything that was established so far, I can pass if there isn't any other redeeming quality.

Edit:
Sayaka best grill.

Rebellion is worth it for the visuals alone, do watch it.
Sounds good. I guess I'll watch it and hopefully it's not disappointing.
That's not how you spell Mami :p

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom