• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Gonna have to check it out.

I look forward to reading your review javac.

I bet it'll be great.
Venus Wars is also on my To Watch List, hopefully I get around to watching it. Also, thanks!

I'll watch the movie adaptation of your review!

Curious what you'll conjure up. For all I know you'll be the final piece to push me to a re-watch of Ping Pong.

I'll consider it a success if I can do just that! Incredible show :) I have a presentation at Uni first thing in the morning, once I get that out of the way I'll be able to relax and get cracking! I'll post it tomorrow for sure.
UVUb4ux.png

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, this is kind of tangentially related to anime, but it's likely either TRIGGER or BONES is going to be involved in making an opening for Indivisible, the Lab Zero kickstarter RPG (makers of Skullgirls).

4ZBeti2.png

They'd be partnering up with Titmouse, who do western cartoons like the Venture Bros., Metalocalypse, and Black Dynamite. Apparently Titmouse will storyboard everything, while the mystery studio (coughTRIGGERcough) will animate it.

Tokyo Godfathers

And another fantastic Kon piece. This one doesn't implement dazzling transitions as Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue and tells a more grounded, albeit still fantastical, story. There's also more comedy in here than those previous works and it would appear as if Kon is quite good at it, too.

The more I watch of his works, the further my regret for his young death growths. These 3 films I've seen so far were all unique and very well done. There's no question we're missing out on some more excellent works he would've created if he were still alive and directing :(

duckroll

Tokyo Godfathers

And another fantastic Kon piece. This one doesn't implement dazzling transitions as Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue and tells a more grounded, albeit still fantastical, story. There's also more comedy in here than those previous works and it would appear as if Kon is quite good at it, too.

The more I watch of his works, the further my regret for his young death growths. These 3 films I've seen so far were all unique and very well done. There's no question we're missing out on some more excellent works if he were still alive and directing :(

Wish Keiko Nobumoto would write more anime again... :(

Squishy3

Hey, this is kind of tangentially related to anime, but it's likely either TRIGGER or BONES is going to be involved in making an opening for Indivisible, the Lab Zero kickstarter RPG (makers of Skullgirls).

4ZBeti2.png

They'd be partnering up with Titmouse, who do western cartoons like the Venture Bros., Metalocalypse, and Black Dynamite. Apparently Titmouse will storyboard everything, while the mystery studio (coughTRIGGERcough) will animate it.
My first thought when I saw the backer email about it was that it'd be TRIGGER since they'd partnered up with Titmouse to do the Black Dynamite season 2 intro.

Steins;Gate 23
"It seems fate has decided to converge once again, Hououin Kyouma. I guess I have to fight either way in the end. Pray for my good fortune. El Psy Congroo."
Here we go.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Also I forgot to mention that it's a 1.9 mil stretch goal. Right now it's at about 1.61 mil.

My first thought when I saw the backer email about it was that it'd be TRIGGER since they'd partnered up with Titmouse to do the Black Dynamite season 2 intro.
Wow, did they really? I didn't know that. That's pretty sick.

Squishy3

Also I forgot to mention that it's a 1.9 mil stretch goal. Right now it's at about 1.61 mil.

Wow, did they really? I didn't know that. That's pretty sick.
I guess titmouse didn't do S2 after double checking, but either way there's precedence for them working with Western companies.

Cornbread78

Shomin Sample ep.7-9
The show could be incredibly fun all the time.... If they got rid of the damn Loli Hakua. The cast and premise of the story are fun, but damn, why do they keep highlightin her? Oh well, I'll keep watching the final 3eps, buy hopefully she's on screen less, lol.

Szadek

Sound! Euphonium - Ep 02
Another good episode. The comedy was nice and while there wasn't really any drama, the anime sets up a few conflict between the girls.
This should be interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's probably more Free! since it prints money :p
So does K-On! lol
A Death Devil prequel movie seems like a perfect project, since someone brought it up.

A sign of what? Free is a successful series that KyoAni owns and that the directors and animators at the studio enjoy doing. Given that they are both promoting their own IPs and taking on other IPs that they care about, including the high profile film adaptation of A Silent Voice, I don't see KyoAni entering "desperation mode" any time soon. Nor would I want them to, given their unique business model and operation in the anime industry.
I feel like after Tamako Market and Hyouka, everything they've done has been made with a deliberate intent to appeal to a more ardent market. Free! certainly, but stuff like Chuu2 and KnK as well.

Kyoani won't enter desperation mode anytime soon considering how successful they've been. Let them do what they want as they create great shows.
I think this is the first time I haven't really been interested in their output. I never finished that theme park anime or the band anime.

Oh, that I know. It's just, maybe he'd have a change of mind if he'd actually watched any of it. Especially when he's looking for more K-On which, as far as I'm concerned, has way less character drama than Eupho actually.
Part of it was that, at least the first three episodes anyway, didn't really seem to have anything particularly new. Then later on it was all the yuri stuff that just turned me off completely.

John Blade

tumblr_nnvl8tQupO1r3f7q1o1_500.gif

Just finish the movie and man....it's still depressing to watch now since the last time I watch it 5 years ago. Just re-watch it mostly because this is on Blu-ray and want to see how it look like in 1080 and does it look nice.

I won't discuss too much about the movie but I will say it still hold up quite well and re-watching the movie few times you notice few things that you miss a bit in first viewing. It's sad of how it end but really what make it even more sadder is all it can be prevent if Seita suck up his pride and follow his aunt advice and try to help out with the chore at home and help out with the war effort while go to school. Unfortunately, his pride blind him which eventually push him into a path which eventually end tragedy. Once a respectful brother and sister turn into a petty crook who try to steal to stay alive and even then they was a chance they can turn around and save them self from it.

Still a good movie to watch but be prepare to bring in some tissue if you tend to cry easy in this movie or feel more depress after finish it.

Well...off I go and watch GTO to remove the depressing feel here.

javac

I watched Grave of the Fireflies in a full auditorium, I still remember the people in the front row getting up to go when the credits started rolling and they looked at me as they passed by as I sat there, a defeated mess with tears dripping down my cheeks. My lips were quivering like a little baby T_T

Hattori

Banned
I've always wondered what it would've been like watching the Totoro/GotF double feature back then, must have been quite the emotional roller coaster experience.

ibyea

Banned
tumblr_nnvl8tQupO1r3f7q1o1_500.gif

Just finish the movie and man....it's still depressing to watch now since the last time I watch it 5 years ago. Just re-watch it mostly because this is on Blu-ray and want to see how it look like in 1080 and does it look nice.

I won't discuss too much about the movie but I will say it still hold up quite well and re-watching the movie few times you notice few things that you miss a bit in first viewing. It's sad of how it end but really what make it even more sadder is all it can be prevent if Seita suck up his pride and follow his aunt advice and try to help out with the chore at home and help out with the war effort while go to school. Unfortunately, his pride blind him which eventually push him into a path which eventually end tragedy. Once a respectful brother and sister turn into a petty crook who try to steal to stay alive and even then they was a chance they can turn around and save them self from it.

Still a good movie to watch but be prepare to bring in some tissue if you tend to cry easy in this movie or feel more depress after finish it.

Well...off I go and watch GTO to remove the depressing feel here.

I don't know about pride, but I remember that aunt was a real asshole.

John Blade

I watched Grave of the Fireflies in a full auditorium, I still remember the people in the front row getting up to go when the credits started rolling and they looked at me as they passed by as I sat there, a defeated mess with tears dripping down my cheeks. My lips were quivering like a little baby T_T

I know how that feel. I guess watching this few time (like this might be my 4th time), don't make me cry but man...the scene where Setsuko have to lift her clothes up for the doctor to see is a bit too much as you notice she isn't well and basically foreshadowing what will happened next. Man...do I need more depressing in my life right now.

I feel like after Tamako Market and Hyouka, everything they've done has been made with a deliberate intent to appeal to a more ardent market. Free! certainly, but stuff like Chuu2 and KnK as well.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. All of KyoAni's TV shows have aired at late-night, and not on NTV, and so are aimed, at least partially, at otaku. Certainly Full Metal Panic and Haruhi LN adaptations, all of the Key VN adaptations, and Lucky Star had otaku as their main target demographic. K-ON, as a Manga Time Kirara seinen manga adaptation, is also an otaku-aimed series in its original form. Yamada moved the anime in a more mainstream direction, especially in the second season and movie, and she continued to direct stories with mainstream appeal with Tamako Market and Sound Euphonium. Her next project, the feature film adaptation of A Silent Voice, a manga published in Weekly Shounen Magazine, is her most mainstream project yet, and is likely to get a wide theatrical distribution, reaching a much broader audience than any of KyoAni's prior projects have.

If you have this conception that KyoAni is made up of a bunch of cynical businessmen who are only in the anime business to make money by exploiting gullible otaku, that isn't substantiated by the facts.

Clov

I've eyed a few series to potentially watch next. If anyone has impressions of Towards the Terra (TV), NieA_7, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I'd really appreciate hearing them! These all strike me as being pretty interesting, and I want to know how good they are.

ibyea

Banned
I've eyed a few series to potentially watch next. If anyone has impressions of Towards the Terra (TV), NieA_7, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I'd really appreciate hearing them! These all strike me as being pretty interesting, and I want to know how good they are.

I personally really liked Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. It gets kind of weird towards the end, so I don't know how well you will personally receive it, but I liked it.

Towards the Terra TV: I've only watched the first couple episodes, but it seems like a solid take on a classic sci-fi story. Production values are very low, but the story and characters are good enough to allow me to look past that.

NieA_7: I found this series really annoying. It has its moments, but the way it steadily builds up intriguing plot threads only to throw them all away and say "Just kidding" in the end left a sour taste in my mouth.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: Bad. It starts out OK, but you can tell the writers didn't know what to do with the story past the earthquake premise, so the last half ends up being a painfully dragged out slow build up to a dumb twist. Avoid.

John Blade

I don't know about pride, but I remember that aunt was a real asshole.

Yea, she is an asshole but they is a reason she act that way toward Seita and Setsuko. She follow a value where working hard for the sake of a country is important and you see this in her family where her husband and daughter do their deed in wartime. From the aunt point of view, seeing Seita and Setsuko having fun while the rest of the people are struggling during the war make her feel the two children are very lazy. This point is push further when Seita didn't do the basic chore of cleaning up the place which you notice when he left his cooking accessories in the sink which the aunt have to clean it.

The conflict in the movie is basically coming down to Seita and his pride. He is dealing with an aunt who is very blunt (or truthful if you want to see that way) to them when he didn't do anything to help out. In a way, he is stroking his pride a bit and you notice this when he buy his own cooking stuff to cook then help out in the kitchen with his aunt.

In the western culture, his decision to leave home make sense as he was trying his best by working in any where he could to provide for his sister. On the other hand, he could buckle down and try to find a job like his aunt told him, which may actually save him and his sister from the situation they were in the movie. Unfortunately, his arrogance when he need to step up to help the one he loved is his downfall.

ibyea

Banned
Yea, she is an asshole but they is a reason she act that way toward Seita and Setsuko. She follow a value where working hard for the sake of a country is important and you see this in her family where her husband and daughter do their deed in wartime. From the aunt point of view, seeing Seita and Setsuko having fun while the rest of the people are struggling during the war make her feel the two children are very lazy. This point is push further when Seita didn't do the basic chore of cleaning up the place which you notice when he left his cooking accessories in the sink which the aunt have to clean it.

The conflict in the movie is basically coming down to Seita and his pride. He is dealing with an aunt who is very blunt to them when he didn't do anything in help out. In a way, he is stroking his pride a bit and you notice this when he buy his own cooking stuff to cook then help out in the kitchen with his aunt.

In the western culture, his decision to leave home make sense as he was trying his best by working in any where he could to provide for his sister. On the other hand, he could buckle down and try to find a job like his aunt told him, which may actually save him and his sister from the situation they were in the movie. Unfortunately, his arrogance when he need to step up to help the one he loved is his downfall.

Maybe if I watch the movie again I will have a different perspective, don't quiet remember all the details in how it went down. All I remember is that I really disliked the aunt. And I am not even coming from a Western perspective here since I am Korean.

Canon

Banned
I've been chatting with young Japanese people who don't know much English and want to learn, and I've been asked questions that make me realize how difficult it is to explain things. Even things as simple as the proper usage of "for" and "to." I can explain it to someone who already knows English (which is useless), but to novices, it makes me feel like an idiot to not know how to describe it easily.

I ended up telling them that "to" is used most commonly in directions -- such as, "I'm going TO the mall" (not "FOR the mall") and that "for" is used commonly to bridge the reasoning or intent of something, such as "This gift is FOR you." As you know, that's not even close to the full meaning... but I'm not gonna sit there and write 10 pages of examples in a chat. I could also say that one is a verb, and one is a noun, but that doesn't explain shit.

What makes this post relevant, and funny, is that I only know Japanese from watching anime. So that means I'm winging it, and probably making an ass of myself. Actually, this still doesn't seem on topic, so fuck.

It's fun though, I recommend trying it. If you see a Japanese person speaking broken English there's a chance that I am to blame.

John Blade

Maybe if I watch the movie again I will have a different perspective, don't quiet remember all the details in how it went down. All I remember is that I really disliked the aunt. And I am not even coming from a Western perspective here since I am Korean.

Might be better to rewatch the movie and pay attention of the dialogue with the main character and his aunt and also do watch the minor hint the director put in the movie which you might not pay attention in the 1st watch. Also, if you didn't watch it for a long time, the detail part of the movie is gone in your brain which make sense. Still, it's a good movie and the impact will linger a bit after you finish watching the movie.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just finished marathoning Shokugeki no Soma. Getting Naruto-Hinata vibes from the whole Soma-Megumi relationship dynamic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wish they were a couple but it'll probably be that Erina bitch for some reason. Really enjoyed Soma and Megumi's interactions.

There were some who swore Naruto was ending up with anyone but Hinata too. I can see it happening here as well with Soma and Megumi.

Though if they got together, they'd have an issue both running each of their own family's restaurants with how far apart the diner and ryokan are from each other.

Phatmac

There were some who swore Naruto was ending up with anyone but Hinata too. I can see it happening here as well with Soma and Megumi.

Though if they got together, they'd have an issue both running each of their own family's restaurants with how far apart the diner and ryokan are from each other.
I'd prefer no real romance besides Alice and the guy she's with(forgot his name). I can predict some cliched reason for Erina to like Soma but I just can't stand her haughty attitude towards a cool guy like Soma.

Cornbread78

Hyouka ep.19-21
Ok, this is suddenly getting much better. I really liked how they incorporated the "mystery of the day" aspect of the show into some concrete relationship development for Satoshi and Ibara. It's a shame we weren't able to hear the phone call Satoshi made to her.... Either way,c when does the Chitanda x Oreki shipping begin now?

I wish they were a couple but it'll probably be that Erina bitch for some reason. Really enjoyed Soma and Megumi's interactions.

Definitely, Soma x Megumi should be the match, but alas, anime loves the or blond tsunderes..

TUSR

Banned
Hyouka ep.19-21
Ok, this is suddenly getting much better. I really liked how they incorporated the "mystery of the day" aspect of the show into some concrete relationship development for Satoshi and Ibara. It's a shame we weren't able to hear the phone call Satoshi made to her.... Either way,c when does the Chitanda x Oreki shipping begin now?

shipping started in episode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom