• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Feigned ignorance. These kinds of offhanded comments are painful. Anime is a niche market as is and clearly is able to cache in on homoerotic appeal. Madoka is probably the biggest anime original property in the last few years and it plays into the undertones of that. I'm pretty sure Free! is also KyoAni's breakout original IP and it would fall under an even more overt definition of this stuff.

i think there's a definition difference between 'mainstream for anime' and 'anime positioned to appeal to mainstream television audiences'

I don't want to speak for DTL or jgminto or others, but I think they would agree there's a clear difference between something like purely subtextual like Free and the more specifically explicitly gay shows like Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi where the characters are actually gay and want to be in a relationship with each other.
If KyoAni wanted to make a show about LGBT characters for and LGBT audience, then there are many titles that they can choose from. To say Euphonium or even Madoka is on the same level as Marimite or Aoi Hana does a disservice to anime that are actually about gay people who have problems that are specifically unique to someone who is gay in Japan.

Moaradin

tumblr_n9d30zW7KM1t1j1quo1_500.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't want to speak for DTL or jgminto or others, but I think they would agree there's a clear difference between something like purely subtextual like Free and the more specifically explicitly gay shows like Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi where the characters are actually gay and want to be in a relationship with each other.
If KyoAni wanted to make a show about LGBT characters for and LGBT audience, then there are many titles that they can choose from. To say Euphonium or even Madoka is on the same level as Marimite or Aoi Hana does a disservice to anime that are actually about gay people who have problems that are specifically unique to someone who is gay in Japan.
The "not black enough" of any sign of same sex bonding in fiction? What does any of this have to do with Hibike! Euphonium? You know it's not a show about "girls kissing" but you push that forward just to try and cast KyoAni in some weird light. It's a high school drama based around music with a story already tested and proven in novel format. For whatever point you were trying to make earlier that hosannainexcelsis laid out as clearly as possible, KyoAni's success has allowed them to shift to a format where they choose projects they seem to exercise more control over. Euph show is about as broad and approachable as it gets in terms of what KyoAni puts out.
i think there's a definition difference between 'mainstream for anime' and 'anime positioned to appeal to mainstream television audiences'
What is this even supposed to mean in the context of criticizing Kyoto Animation?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The "not black enough" of any sign of same sex bonding in fiction? What does any of this have to do with Hibike! Euphonium? You know it's not a show about "girls kissing" but you push that forward just to try and cast KyoAni in some weird light. It's a high school drama based around music with a story already tested and proven in novel format. For whatever point you were trying to make earlier that hosannainexcelsis laid out as clearly as possible, KyoAni's success has allowed them to shift to a format where they choose projects they seem to exercise more control over. Euph show is about as broad and approachable as it gets in terms of what KyoAni puts out.

Well, I'll admit that I was inferring intent on KyoAni's part based on the reactions in an earlier version of this thread. And I assume the people hoping that the two main characters make out with each other is a microcosm of the broader anime-tumblr-twitter-bloggo-sphere that presumably posted the various gifs I saw here and so on. As someone watching from the outside, it reminded me of the freakouts that people had when Rachel kissed Phoebe on Friends when they decided to do their token lesbian episode.

For example, Mugi (from K-On) had "yuri goggles" mostly from the pandery nature of her character from season 1 and the first couple of volumes of the manga. They tried to explain it away by saying that her only experience with homosocial relationships was strictly through yuri manga, which coloured the way she looked at the world, but by S2 of the anime they mostly excised that aspect of her character.

Taruranto

Souma best girl is
Dojima
you fools!

There's probably more Free! since it prints money :p

I'm surprised they haven't milked that market more yet, given that Free literally exploded in a pile of money.

I mean, there was a Movie + S2, but that's standard for Kyoani at this point, even lol-KnK got it.

Instead they are more LN trash next season.

Sölf

Erina is horrible. I actually prefer the tsundere most of the time. Heck, Eri from School Rumble is mai Waifu of the forever. But Erina is just a dick. As far as the anime goes she doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. She is just a dick.

Any other character would be better for Soma. But Megumi is obviously best girl so the others can just go away and do their own stuff.

Quasar

Sölf;187665552 said:
Erina is horrible. I actually prefer the tsundere most of the time. Heck, Eri from School Rumble is mai Waifu of the forever. But Erina is just a dick. As far as the anime goes she doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. She is just a dick.

Any other character would be better for Soma. But Megumi is obviously best girl so the others can just go away and do their own stuff.

Meh. Far as I'm concerned shes the Onodera Kosaki of Soma.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Subete ga F ni naru 7-8
I was expecting Symphogear Engrish based on everyone impression. It's not really that bad. Yeah, i think Miki seiyuu should've been someone native considering her background. VR visualization is cool and we're slowly getting closer to solving this mystery. Glove... so, body switch? No idea if it's possible to imprint fingerprint into glove, but maybe...

Cornbread78

Look at all this trash I missed last night while sleeping, lol.

4. Big butt

Nothing wrong with a little extra booty. Better than those skinny asses.. Give me some curves..

Chiyo is the worst.

Bully. Stop trying to get attention
hehehehe

You see, this is a moment when I can't bully effectively because I haven't watched any of those shows with those characters...
...stop the bullying guys. Stop it.

You have some work to do man. Nozaki-kun and Soma are great.

Indeed. Would like more of her. Not that I think the story will really have any romance, but it seemed clearly setup that way. Just like Shitoge in Nisekoi.

I can completely agree with this even though I dislike her. The hints throughout were endless, and we still don't know the whole picture thing with Soma's dad and Erina. On top of that, they positioned Megumi as a "childhood friend" type, which means she will lose out by default even though she is definitely the wife prototype, while Erina is a one and done or weekend fling type.

Nisekoi at least humanized Chitoge to a point though... Erina was a miserable twat tsundere throughout.

#TeamBrady

At least your on the right team here. G.O.A.T #12.

Well, I'll admit that I was inferring intent on KyoAni's part based on the reactions in an earlier version of this thread. And I assume the people hoping that the two main characters make out with each other is a microcosm of the broader anime-tumblr-twitter-bloggo-sphere that presumably posted the various gifs I saw here and so on. As someone watching from the outside, it reminded me of the freakouts that people had when Rachel kissed Phoebe on Friends when they decided to do their token lesbian episode.

For example, Mugi (from K-On) had "yuri goggles" mostly from the pandery nature of her character from season 1 and the first couple of volumes of the manga. They tried to explain it away by saying that her only experience with homosocial relationships was strictly through yuri manga, which coloured the way she looked at the world, but by S2 of the anime they mostly excised that aspect of her character.

Before you go making all kinds of assumptions about what people at KyoAni are thinking, perhaps it would be wise to take a look at their actual words.

– The characters’ distance is a bit different than in the novel. How did you think about that range?
Ishihara: Reina, in the early stages, would touch Kumiko, like point point, during the entire conversation.
Yamada: Additionally, we really paid attention to the imagery paying attention to that distance from the beginning when they weren’t close.

– It feels like the composition of their distance and the growth of Kumiko is somehow weaved or linked together.
Ishihara: At the beginning, I don’t think it was this deep, but as we were producing the show, perhaps it led towards this direction. They’re different than ordinary friends. It’s like you’re friends with this amazing person and you want to try your best so that you can be on their level. To Kumiko, Reina is that presence.
Yamada: The descriptions in the novel when Kumiko sees Reina were so unbearably stimulating. Therefore, I wanted to properly depict that.
Takeda: Thank you very much.
Yamada: I planned to measure the amount of force so that I wouldn’t make a mistake, but it felt like the entire detailed atmosphere that I worked so hard to gather between Kumiko and Reina was just released. (laughs) On one hand it was difficult, but it was irresistibly fun to create on the other. I wanted to convey that adolescent uproar of excitation. Kumiko’s the type of girl to be looking around herself constantly and sometimes her depiction of what she sees is interesting. From her point of view, she sees Reina somewhat sensually, but that’s also a characteristic shared by girls too, right?
Takeda: (laughs) In almost every work, not just novels, there’s so many that put romance above fellowship, aren’t there? I wasn’t satisfied with that, so I wrote this work thinking of making fellowship above romance. It’s just as Yamada-san says, Reina is a bit sensual from Kumiko’s point of view. It’s something characteristic that a girl would sense and describe. If a man were writing it, wouldn’t it be more like a lusty wolf coming out? (laughs)
Yamada: In this world, there’s so much that doesn’t just move because of love for love’s sake.
Takeda: Shuichi is special as well, but for Kumiko, Reina is depicted as a presence that is above him. Before Kumiko met her, he may have been her special guy, but now her relationship with Reina is eternal. It’s not just those two; that type of relationship is throughout this entire story. I wanted to show fellowship as this vastly important thing that gets cultivated by mankind depending on each other and working hard in that closed space of club activities.
Ishihara: Relating to that description, honestly, Yamada saved us by being present. I don’t know the first thing about girl friendships or fellowships, but I can surmise from this discussion that it’s quite difficult. By all means the way guys look at girls may be depicted in stereotypes. While there is a portion of this work that feels like the processed view guys see, it was important to escape away from that stereotyping.
Yamada: There were some points that Ishihara-san felt he couldn’t grasp. Therefore, I worked as the series director so that not only could I provide a feminine intuition for the work, but I could provide another way of thinking for portions that he was able to grasp. Listening to him is also important as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On top of that, they positioned Megumi as a "childhood friend" type, which means she will lose out by default even though she is definitely the wife prototype, while Erina is a one and done or weekend fling type.

Nisekoi at least humanized Chitoge to a point though... Erina was a miserable twat tsundere

But they get around this by actually having a childhood friend character who already has lost by default. Megumi still viable. ;P

Hagi

Wow Euphonium is really good thanks to whoever recommended it, I've watched 8 episodes straight since I woke up this morning. It's such a gorgeous looking show, episode 8 in particular has some really striking background shots and was my favourite episode so far. Asuka was my favourite character to start but as the cast has developed Kumiko and Reina have took the top spot.

This has been the first musical anime I've watched since Beck was airing.

Cornbread78

But they get around this by actually having a childhood friend character who already has lost by default. Megumi still viable. ;P

True, very true... Soma could turn out to be an all-out harem if they wanted it to, but the Erina shipping hints were obvious. However, they did make a few hints at MEgumi too, so we'll see what happens... Erina will ultimately, win unfortunately..

What's with all the brighter than usual colors in these gifs?

The show is just that colorful... physically and metaphorically....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
True, very true... Soma could turn out to be an all-out harem if they wanted it to, but the Erina shipping hints were obvious. However, they did make a few hints at MEgumi too, so we'll see what happens... Erina will ultimately, win unfortunately..

People said the same about Naruto and Sakura. We all know how that ended up.

John Blade

Has anyone seen Last Exile: Silver Wing? I watched the OG series awhile ago and was looking at the OP and it's storyboarded really well. The OP has numerous screen wipes, smooth jump cuts, and a good amount of camera movement. Is the show itself any good?

Was watching it but put it on hold for a bit of time. Will most likely go back finish it soon as it's more watchable for me over the other show I suppose to finish. I will say this based on where I am right now (around the middle point), if you like the original show mostly in the character development, plot development, pacing (basically, the story and characters), don't watch the sequel if you want to have fond memories or go in with a very low expectation.

If you like the original show mostly in the battle scene, then you might like the sequel a bit more in that area as the battle scene does look good. I will write my full impression about this show later when I finish it but this quick impression is basically a rough idea of how I feel of the show when I was watching it.

Phatmac

Jeez, I forgot how bad School Rumble's ending is when some discussion on a board brought it up. What a depressing end to a funny show.

Sölf

Jeez, I forgot how bad School Rumble's ending is when some discussion on a board brought it up. What a depressing end for a funny show.

Yeah. Overall it's still great. The ending just came out of nowhere. It's still my favorite series of all time. I really hope Jin Kobayashi gets back to it at some point and shows their college/adult years. I think he even mentioned he may want to do that at some point.

Jintor

What is this even supposed to mean in the context of criticizing Kyoto Animation?

He said:

If Sound Euphonium is all about girls kissing, I don't know if that's aiming for the mainstream either.

i.e., if it's full of yuri stuff, then it's not mainstream

you said that saying that was homophobic baiting. okay, so it was inaccurate, sure. is it homophobic baiting? all hawk was saying was based on what he'd heard, if X is Y, then it's not mainstream. i'd hardly call that baiting. factually wrong, perhaps, but not baiting

Line_HTX

Look at all this trash I missed last night while sleeping, lol.

Nothing wrong with a little extra booty. Better than those skinny asses.. Give me some curves..

At least your on the right team here. G.O.A.T #12.

I mean, I like Megumi too. But, y'know...

Eww, no, Kiritobread.

>:p

duckroll

After catching up on Concrete Revolutio yesterday, I started manually mapping out the timeline which they've covered so far. Turns out that was a waste of effort, because they've done an official one on the website, and it's up to date as of episode 9. Pretty cool!

http://concreterevolutio.com/special/?page=chronological

For reference, the "Shinka era" is definitely based on the Showa era in our reality, which means that Shinka 14 is 1939, Shinka 16 is 1941, Shinka 41 is 1966, Shinka 47 is 1972, etc.

One thing I really appreciate from the show is how they've done the one thing I really hoped they would do after watching the first episode - instead of being restricted to a single period of time in a year or a few months, they've managed to spread out a story that spans essentially a decade (41 to 48 so far) while using flashbacks and historical events to flesh out the decades prior as well. Pretty neat.

After catching up on Concrete Revolutio yesterday, I started manually mapping out the timeline which they've covered so far. Turns out that was a waste of effort, because they've done an official one on the website, and it's up to date as of episode 9. Pretty cool!

http://concreterevolutio.com/special/?page=chronological

For reference, the "Shinka era" is definitely based on the Showa era in our reality, which means that Shinka 14 is 1939, Shinka 16 is 1941, Shinka 41 is 1966, Shinka 47 is 1972, etc.

One thing I really appreciate from the show is how they've done the one thing I really hoped they would do after watching the first episode - instead of being restricted to a single period of time in a year or a few months, they've managed to spread out a story that spans essentially a decade (41 to 48 so far) while using flashbacks and historical events to flesh out the decades prior as well. Pretty neat.

Nothing from Episode 9 covered "present day?"

duckroll

Nothing from Episode 9 covered "present day?"

There isn't really a "present day" anymore I think. Shinka 41-42 was two full years of Jiro and Kikko working together over 8 episodes or so. But in episode 8
when Jiro starts to realize that all is really not what it seems and his idol Rainbow Knight could have been a victim of a government conspiracy, I think it pushes him off the edge. He was already having his doubts, but there's no question that in Shinka 43 he leaves them after the incident with the Eye of Lucifer.

We'll see where episode 10 picks up from. Maybe it'll fill in some gaps from Shinka 43, or maybe it'll go forward further in 44 or 45 instead. Either way, by the end of the season we'll definitely be getting into the stuff they've been building up in Shinka 46-48, where everything they previously did comes back to bite them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom