• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodaka isn't an anime scriptwriter. The first Danganronpa anime wasn't written by him either.

MAL says he did the script for Wooser.

Anyway, I understand it's not his typical line of work, but I'm not totally comfortable with him having a hands-off role either. I don't think the School Live guy is the worst choice, but DR is very much unique to Kodaka, which shows in any work not written by him like IF.

I think western has more fun with ships

fy50jp0.gif

why is western character design so bad :(

As opposed to a beautiful male wearing twenty scarves and an eye patch even though he doesn't need one?

I mean SU isn't the prettiest show with design, but western shows can be fine with design. Samurai Jack, Sym-bionic titan, AtlA, Korra, Venture Bros.

But designs tend to be plain because so many characters are regular people.

Line_HTX

Lance & Masques has the lowest rating I've ever seen on Cruchyoll.

The way they made the eyes is flat out disturbing. Like seriously, I dropped after 1 episode because it looks so messed up. Add to that the stupid "hero knight" tendency that the stupid MC falls back on is super annoying.

e_i

The way they made the eyes is flat out disturbing. Like seriously, I dropped after 1 episode because it looks so messed up. Add to that the stupid "hero knight" tendency that the stupid MC falls back on is super annoying.

My problem with the show is that it doesn't make any sense. The characters are fighting...why? Why is protecting a little girl? From what? This show is just a bunch of characters fighting each other for no reason at all.

DiGiKerot

I'm really sad that almost no one wants to talk about Concrete Revolutio. I would even settle for firehawk watching it just to tell me how bad he thinks it is, and poke holes at all the narrative shortcomings. :(

I kind of like the theory that what the pre-1968 content is building to, and what causes the change in situation after that, is the Concrete Revolutio-universes equivalent of the launch of Shonen Jump (and Go Nagai's controversial Shameless School) in mid-1968. I'm at least curious to see if they choose to reflect the introduction of that kind of manga into a mainstream publication in the show in some kind of metatextual fashion.

Phatmac

Nah its just decent. Not bad but not brilliant.

Gintama 300

Im gonna say something that may draw a lot of heat

I don't care if the shogun's dead. Granted a part of me thinks its a fake out but if he is dead I don't care atm. He was always my least favorite character and all his episodes are the same joke over and over and over again. Ill eat crow if the arc end up making me like him.

The rest of the arc looks hype as hell though.
I don't know how you'd enjoy Gintama if you hated all of his episodes but whatever. I'm sure Sorachi will weave a heartwarming flashback scene that'll make you care about him. If not at least the other fights will keep you entertained.

The Perfect Insider Episode 9 – Yellow Blind Spot
CVUxE_-XIAAIWYb.png:large

Robotics;Notes wasnt forgotten either (Top left) And is that GUILTY CROWN too?! Nice, and [C] as well

Cruel place to end the episode though kind of figured since they had such useless lines 20mins in.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Are close friendships bad unless there's a romantic dimension to them?
I think his line of thinking is that homophobia is at work in some way. You don't exactly see them acknowledge same gender romantic relationships as a thing. (Unless they do elsewhere.)

MAL says he did the script for Wooser.

Anyway, I understand it's not his typical line of work, but I'm not totally comfortable with him having a hands-off role either. I don't think the School Live guy is the worst choice, but DR is very much unique to Kodaka, which shows in any work not written by him like IF.

Wooser S3 had a bunch of guest writers, one per episode:

Script:
Gen Urobuchi
Jirō Ishii
Kazutaka Kodaka
Kazuyuki Fudeyasu
Makoto Uezu
Masaya Honda
Shigeto Koyama
Tatsuya Takahashi
Yoshiki Usa
Yoshiko Nakamura
Yousuke Kuroda
Yun Kouga
Yuniko Ayana

I understand the reluctance, but I don't really think the quality of the upcoming anime would be materially effected even if Kodaka wrote every episode himself. Neither Danganronpa 1 or 2 needed a continuation anyway, but I'm glad that if he feels the need to do one he's going to do it in this way and let the third game be its own thing. Danganronpa 2 already had to stretch things a lot to continue the premise.

I think his line of thinking is that homophobia is at work in some way. You don't exactly see them acknowledge same gender romantic relationships as a thing. (Unless they do elsewhere.)

Alleging that Naoko Yamada and Ayano Takeda are acting out of malicious hatred of homosexuals because they didn't write same-sex romantic/sexual relationships into their story is even more ludicrous.

Clov

I understand the reluctance, but I don't really think the quality of the upcoming anime would be materially effected even if Kodaka wrote every episode himself. Neither Danganronpa 1 or 2 needed a continuation anyway, but I'm glad that if he feels the need to do one he's going to do it in this way and let the third game be its own thing. Danganronpa 2 already had to stretch things a lot to continue the premise.

I really feel like it worked with SDR2, though. The atmosphere was different and some things were definitely stretched, but it all came together for me. I don't think you could have gotten much more out of it though, which is why I'm glad that V3 will be in a new continuity. A fresh start was just what the series needed, so there's no leftover baggage from previous entries.

Cornbread78

Might be time to go back watching Emma season 2 if you want Relationship/character development. Also, I need to get myself ready to watch Clannad early next year if I can get through the backlog of show I currently watching but on hold.

Maybe I should hold out on Emma until you watch Clannad, lol. I kid, I kid... I'm starting S2 in the next couple days... I have very limited time to watch during the week right now, so it is going to take me some time.

Clannad is great though. Little Busters is really good if you haven't watch that one yet as well.

And yet you just claimed Working isn't a romance series in this very post despite a huge portion of the show centering around romantic relationships. And they
have a kid in Clannad
!

Aye.... Neither Hyouka or Working have a "Romance" tag on them, and both shows are centered around normal life events.

Slice of Life:
A ​film, ​piece of ​literature, or a ​play might be ​described as a slice of ​life if it ​describes or ​shows the ​ordinary ​details of ​real ​life.

Romance can be part of a normal life event. My contention is the fact that they spent the entire series hinting at it, but never moved towards it with Oreki. No "confession" no official date, nothing. They both stumbled and stopped themselves from coming out with it. Did it work in the naritive? Yup. Was it blue balls for those that wanted prgression? Yup. Is it wrong to want them to progress the ships to a point where they are acknowledged by the two? We cheered everyweek for the prgression we finally got in Working towards the very end. I still wouldn't call those romance anime's. Sure a couple romantic moments in them between a coupel of the characters, but nothing outside of normal life events.

With Oreki, he had the perfect opening to confess and convey his true feelings (but we got "by the way"), (along with Chitanda for that matter, she side stepped it by saying she wanted to share her world with him) but balked at it. It sould have been great right there to just come clean. Either way I understand what they director wanted to do there, I just don't think it was right, that's all. The imagery of the moment was beautiful!

tumblr_mqwxfeizSq1rj0b7eo1_500.gif

I put much more weight into character/relationship developement, which is what makes Clannad so special, which is what I mean by not having to see them kiss on screen.

You're just scared that Watt will have his way with your precious Tom, Kiritobread.
>:D

Watt terrifies me....

Hand holding is the lewdest of all actions to express love that people can do.

lol: Uncensored:

tumblr_n06g6ppc781rumpqzo1_500.gif

Alleging that Naoko Yamada and Ayano Takeda are acting out of malicious hatred of homosexuals because they didn't write same-sex romantic/sexual relationships into their story is even more ludicrous.
No. Homophobia like sexism, racism, etc isn't always a product of malicious intent. Heteronormative would be the less loaded term to use I suppose.

Though one thing that does need to be brought into the conversation is amatonormativity*, which dimb was getting at in a previous conversation about the show.

* - the assumption that a central, exclusive, amorous relationship is normal for humans, in that it is a universally shared goal, and that such a relationship is normative, in the sense that it should be aimed at in preference to other relationship types
(Don't know how legit the term is but some aromantic people on the internet seem to like it and find it useful.)

Cornbread, the more I read your impressions on shows, the more I'm convinced you will love G Gundam.

G Gundam has a better romance story than any other slice-of-life romance anime I've seen.

WATCH IT.

why is western character design so bad :(

Hey, it's sure improved from the Klasky Csupo days. Although maybe the CalArts style is just as bad.

I mean SU isn't the prettiest show with design, but western shows can be fine with design. Samurai Jack, Sym-bionic titan, AtlA, Korra, Venture Bros.

All of those shows are inspired by anime. Except Venture Bros, I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Since dimb called me homophobic, I feel like I have to take this more seriously than I probably would, but anyway.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Are close friendships bad unless there's a romantic dimension to them?
My point is the metatext. Gintama, while not being about Gintoki fucking Hijikata, recognizes that part of its success is due to the fact that the female fans want to imagine them having intercourse in various ways. Do I think Sorachi or Sunrise (or Bandai whatever whatever) are purposefully exploiting the fujyoshi market? I don't know (although the fact that Gintoki and Hijikata keep getting stories together makes me suspicious), but they do recognize the fact that girls will pair up the guys and this is one of the most popular pairings of the franchise.

What put me off Euphonium, beyond the fact that the premise just didn't do anything to necessarily grab my attention, was the Kumiko/Reina stuff that was not only present here, but also on the greater "anime sphere".

But this is a year that began with this:

So when you're already in an anime climate where it's possible to recognize sexuality in an explicit manner, even if Yurikuma is still subtextual, the fact that the gifs of Euphonium that I saw where focused on whether or not Kumiko and Reina would kiss just seemed trite by comparison.

Certainly in K-On, which also had its yuri moments, particularly in the movie where Asuza thinks Yui is going to assault her in the hotel room, they didn't feel the need to include moments that were obviously meant to elicit a shipping response.

Well, my feeling is that someone somewhere knows what they're doing and what buttons they are pushing. I watch shows with gay characters all the time, I've even seen them actually kiss! So maybe Euphonium is genuinely about this closely knit homosocial relationship between these two girls who are inseparable. Anne of Green Gables features this type of relationship as well. But I don't think the Anne of Green Gables anime featured any scenes that are as "evocative" as the ones in Euphonium. Certainly no one on GAF or tumblr is posting Anne x Diana gifs from the anime, that I've seen anyway.

I have no problem if people want to imagine Kumiko and Reina in various situations. And again I'm only judging the show through my experience of watching others react to it on the Internet, but it just seems - at least on the surface - that the shipping is being explicitly built into the text. I'm not saying that they have to be gay in order for one character to run her fingers across another character's lips, but I'm saying that someone at KyoAni must have at least thought about how that scene would be received (and why it was quickly turned into a gif).

No. Homophobia like sexism, racism, etc isn't always a product of malicious intent. Heteronormative would be the less loaded term to use I suppose.

Though one thing that does need to be brought into the conversation is amatonormativity*, which dimb was getting at in a previous conversation about the show.

* - the assumption that a central, exclusive, amorous relationship is normal for humans, in that it is a universally shared goal, and that such a relationship is normative, in the sense that it should be aimed at in preference to other relationship types
Yeah, there's an interesting question of why we (the royal we, to be clear) need to ship characters in the first place.

Hey, it's sure improved from the Klasky Csupo days. Although maybe the CalArts style is just as bad.

All of those shows are inspired by anime. Except Venture Bros, I guess.

What does inspired by have to do with character design? They're still designs done by western people. The AtlA and Korra outfits were done from an eastern inspiration sure, but it's still something they came up with.

The point was that those shows are some of the few with flashy designs of recent times. Most of the time western cartoons deal with regular kids that dress like you know, regular kids. Like shirt and pants or a simple dress.

I could've gone with Metalocalypse if you want. They have cool designs there too with the costumes and hairstyles. But that one specifically was meant to go out of their way. SU designs have the gems which each has their own unique look, and if he's not a fan that's one thing but they aren't bad.

Someone saying something is bad does not make it a fact

someone can call plenty of things someone likes bad, and it would be bad, but to that person

if someone says it, assume it's their opinion

Well yeah haha

I was just expanding as it's not the first time I've seen people call SU's artstyle or design unappealing.

phaze

Eureka Seven 46-50 END

Random musings:
- I don't quite get the ending. A
t first I thought, going by Nirvash explanations that it would depart, along with part/whole of the scub coral to the other universe while E&R would stay. But I guess since they've been missing for a whole year that's not how it went down ?
* Is this bait tfu plot point resolved in the movie ? Lame.

- I was expecting more from Eureka. She was an eternal, whiny damsel in distress.

- Anemone's redemption was awfully telegraphed from the very beginning (I really didn't need two op's beating me over head with it) but when it came to it, I actually really liked the execution of it and of her reunion with Dominic. Much, much better than similar moment in ep~26.

-Like I said earlier, a lot of thing, came out of left field.
Dewey's sudden inner compac drive and the collars, the alternate universe and the way scub coral can just teleport itself there, Renton's love fueled power up
(I guess this was ever present in the series but still ...)

- The show thankfully saved it's best setpieces for the last and while I was frequently underwhelmed by it's action scenes,
The End vs Nirvash and then Gekkostate vs Dewey and his fleet
was some really impressive stuff.

I've already expressed the warmth of my feelings for episode 50 but it nonwithstanding, I thought it was fairly and comparatively okay ending. In general I probably prefer the last 2/5 of the show to what came before. Eureka to my mind, needed a halved episode, more of the elementary worldbuilding at the beginning and not in the latter half of the show and characters ... acting more like logically functioning human beings I guess ?

Still, I've probably seen worse shows ...

Clearly, in a thematically poignant ending about the limits of love, they run away and they saddled the grandpa with their unbearable children.

Eureka Seven 46-50 END

Random musings:
- I don't quite get the ending. A
t first I thought, going by Nirvash explanations that it would depart, along with part/whole of the scub coral to the other universe while E&R would stay. But I guess since they've been missing for a whole year that's not how it went down ?
* Is this bait tfu plot point resolved in the movie ? Lame.

- I was expecting more from Eureka. She was an eternal, whiny damsel in distress.

- Anemone's redemption was awfully telegraphed from the very beginning (I really didn't need two op's beating me over head with it) but when it came to it, I actually really liked the execution of it and of her reunion with Dominic. Much, much better than similar moment in ep~26.

Dewey's sudden inner compac drive and the collars, the alternate universe and the way scub coral can just teleport itself there, Renton's love fueled power up

- The show thankfully saved it's best setpieces for the last and while I was frequently underwhelmed by it's action scenes,

I've already expressed the warmth of my feelings for episode 50 but it nonwithstanding, I thought it was fairly and comparatively okay ending. In general I probably prefer the last 2/5 of the show to what came before. Eureka to my mind, needed a halved episode, more of the elementary worldbuilding at the beginning and not in the latter half of the show and characters ... acting more like logically functioning human beings I guess ?

Clearly, in a thematically poignant ending about the limits of love, they run away and they saddled the grandpa with their unbearable children.

No, it's not. I highly recommend avoiding it as the movie is a completely different and worse story separate from the series.

Also, I felt the characters did function like human beings throughout the show. Yes, the argument can be made that crew of the Gekkostate aren't exactly good people, but I loved how much of an effort the show makes to make them more than just that, and they got better towards the end because of that effort.

But in any case, I'm glad you enjoyed the final act of the show, which is where the show really cranks it up to 11 and gives a fantastic finale.

Eureka Seven 46-50 END

I could've said the same thing but the the thing is, that in my case it's the worst show I stuck with for so long. (Stuff from my childhood aside.)

Although Clannad is a close second, but I saw that quite a while ago, too.

Cornbread78

Eureka Seven 46-50 END
Random musings:

- Anonome Dominick scene was really well done...
- Like TTGL some things were waay over the top.
- I agree the end portion when they finally start making sense of the worl around them was the best part. Alsom you are correct, they would habe really cut down the number of episodes by gettigng to the world building earlier with less Renton/Eureka agnst and streamlined it into excellence.

Even though I saw that, I still loved the show and the ending was very impactful IMO. Fit perfectly with everything and your last statement is sooo true, lol.

phaze

Revolutionary Girl Utena 07
Nanami, being the most hilarious and entertaining character and having even an episode devoted to curry, strongly reminds me of RIngo.

Year late but I finally get what this whole chu-chu thing was about.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 08
RIP
Saionji

If that was Utena than she's got quite the emotional baggage herself.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 09

I hope Nanami gets a character arc where she learns that continous spouting of "Onisama ! Onisama !" with the speed of a belt fed machine gun is bad. For As is kissing your own brother, even as kids. Good God, this was more vexing than the first episode of Mahouka.
---
Either the show found it's groove or my shittaste isn't as shit as I feared cause I was quite fond of everything that came after the blue hair piano guy. There may be hope for me yet.

jgminto

Maybe one of these days, Kyoani will have the guts to do an actual queer relationship in one of their shows instead of nonsense fluff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe one of these days, Kyoani will have the guts to do an actual queer relationship in one of their shows instead of nonsense fluff.
I don't know if they're interested, and that's fine. But I just think someone there has to at least know how shows like Free! and Euphonium are being received by the respective fanbases. And given that they went out of their way to tone down the yuri in K-On, they are also aware that this is an issue.

I'm really sad that almost no one wants to talk about Concrete Revolutio. I would even settle for firehawk watching it just to tell me how bad he thinks it is, and poke holes at all the narrative shortcomings. :(

I'm really enjoying it. The episodic nature is a bit weak, but the timeskips keep it interesting and have forced the writers to think about the change of relationship dynamics that it brings. The juxtaposition of the huge moral grey amongst the natural direction of a superhero show to be purely good vs bad was dolled out very slowly in the beginning but is gushing out now. The themes are interesting as they broach on a different number of subjects, but the episodic nature means that we don't really see the elements developed to their fullest extent. Darker Than Black solved this by having a strong team of which dynamics are changed by the episodic events as well as having the longer two episode arcs. Concrete's team however is a lot weaker, but is surrounded by a lot more mystery that if used well can bring out more varied and interesting developments.

I think the eventual team split is really, really interesting, and by far the best hook that the show is using. We know that it will happen but finding out how and why leaves you constantly questioning what people are doing and whether the consequences of those will be a chevkov's gun for it. It also allows for a good Order vs Chaos argument that so far they have managed rather well, as it could be seen as necessary for them as agents of the state to use bad methods in the seeking of a good result.

phaze

I could've said the same thing but the the thing is, that in my case it's the worst show I stuck with for so long. (Stuff from my childhood aside.)

Although Clannad is a close second, but I saw that quite a while ago, too.

I've seen the entirety of SS: Omega and my wounds from that experience have yet to heal. To clear the bar and become my new worst show is quite a challenge.

No, it's not. I highly recommend avoiding it as the movie is a completely different and worse story separate from the series.

Also, I felt the characters did function like human beings throughout the show. Yes, the argument can be made that crew of the Gekkostate aren't exactly good people, but I loved how much of an effort the show makes to make them more than just that, and they got better towards the end because of that effort.

But in any case, I'm glad you enjoyed the final act of the show, which is where the show really cranks it up to 11 and gives a fantastic finale.

How would you call Renton not even deigning to ask about the purpose of Gekkostate for 30 episodes ? For whom he killed, (and had a sudden "oh boy people die when they are killed" revelation for whom he threw away his former life and became a world wide wanted man. Similarly, Gekkostate crew didn't to tell him such a basic thing.

- Anonome Dominick scene was really well done...
- Like TTGL some things were waay over the top.
- I agree the end portion when they finally start making sense of the worl around them was the best part. Alsom you are correct, they would habe really cut down the number of episodes by gettigng to the world building earlier with less Renton/Eureka agnst and streamlined it into excellence.

Even though I saw that, I still loved the show and the ending was very impactful IMO. Fit perfectly with everything and your last statement is sooo true, lol.

I loved TTGL and it's spiral power thing didn't bother me a whole lot so I'm not quite sure why power of love power ups bothered me so much here ... Maybe cause Eureka seemed to be going for something more grounded ? Or that spiral power was pretty always present as a factor and it wasn't an absolute win button like it was in Eureka ?

I gotta admit, I haven't tried all of them, but most of Kyoani's works just seem okay to me.

They're animated well, but their shows have no punch to me.

Full Metal Panic being the one exception.

Also Beyond the Boundary was shit.

SHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIT.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I gotta admit, I haven't tried all of them, but most of Kyoani's works just seem okay to me.

Sound! Euphonium is probably the first production of theirs that I actually liked and really impressed me with its technical skill and ambition.

Madoka Magica - Rebellion

That went pretty much as expected. I remained uninvested into the characters and the story required you to be really into them and is partially responsible why it fell so flat for me. The other being that the actual plot points seem to not only contain a bunch of retcons but in general feel devoid of much logic. More so even than TV series all kind of strange things take place because...you can justify just about everything with time travel, god powers and those bullshit incubators. It's just impossible to grasp what the hell is actually possible. I mean Homura even manages to pull some kind of Madoka goddess incarnation out of the sky because...of reasons.

All this grand stuff is taking place and I'm then constantly supposed to care for these couple characters' feelings which I can't do because a) they were never established well and b) it seems ludicrous when you consider the scale of everything. It's over the top in a way that doesn't work for me.

One thing this movie also reminded me of is that I feel like the world outside of these magical girls feels way too irrelevant. There's so many world-changing events taking place but how it affects everyone else seems to hardly matter, when e.g. the butterfly effect should be in full force.

But yeh, nothing of the above came as a surprise. I intended to watch it for the visuals and soundtrack primarily. The latter one was solid.

Visuals were...well, pretty darn great overall. However, even though I understand where most of this movie was taking place and that the visuals were purposely done like that to accentuate the setting, there was almost too much abstractly designed entities on screen on average. During the bus it almost seemed as though they just wanted to cram as many strange backgrounds in there as possible. Like, I get it, something is very amiss with the place.

I dunno, I like the witch labyrinth art style that was so prominent here and the production value was very high. Yet, I wasn't really wowed in the end. Perhaps because it's ultimately even the visuals benefit if you actually feel invested into everything else.

e:
I've seen the entirety of SS: Omega and my wounds from that experience have yet to heal. To clear the bar and become my new worst show is quite a challenge.

Hmm, never heard of it.

googles

97 episodes Toei show? Yikes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You know, this gives me a chance to think about the shows I like.

Although maybe 75%-95% of GAF hates Nichijou, I'm on team Ultimadrago and think it's a genuinely funny show.

Hyouka is probably the best character study that I've seen in the anime that I've watched. It's more focused and less... "intense" than Monogatari (it put in kindly lol).

K-On!! probably stands out for me because it's the first time I saw senior angst in anime form, and it never really occurred to me at the time that kids in Japan would freak out about their futures in the last year of high school just like anyone else. It's an aspect of Japanese life that I've since learned is well tread in Japanese fiction, but K-On!! was the first one I saw.

And of course, I still think Haruhi/Endless Eight is the most amazing thing I've seen someone do with the medium of television in my life. Nothing has even come close to that, despite the fact that we're living in the so-called Golden Age of television.

One thing this movie also reminded me of is that I feel like the world outside of these magical girls feels way too irrelevant. There's so many world-changing events taking place but how it affects everyone else seems to hardly matter, when e.g. the butterfly effect should be in full force.
To be fair, the series was always internal and psychological, focused specifically on Homura and the way she is unable to cope with loss. The movie is no different, particularly since none of it is real.

phaze

That went pretty much as expected. I remained uninvested into the characters and the story required you to be really into them and is partially responsible why it fell so flat for me. The other being that the actual plot points seem to not only contain a bunch of retcons but in general feel devoid of much logic. More so even than TV series all kind of strange things take place because...you can justify just about everything with time travel, god powers and those bullshit incubators. It's just impossible to grasp what the hell is actually possible. I mean Homura even manages to pull some kind of Madoka goddess incarnation out of the sky because...of reasons.
Yeah this is one of my biggest gripes with it and I didn't have much of a problem with it in original. By the end it just becomes nonsense.

Hmm, never heard of it.

googles

97 episodes Toei show? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom