• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Creamer again. Not too surprised. I don't like everything he's writing but he's put out a lot of hella good articles on his blog (wrongeverytime.com). Is there anyone else on ANN worth reading actually? It looks like they made their layout slightly more readable now, so that's nice.

Kevin Cirugeda (@Yuyucow on Twitter) has been writing some good articles for ANN, one on animation appreciation, one on One Punch Man's production, and one on the Japanese Animator Expo.

Majestic Prince was pretty good. Has some of the better mecha action of the past few years
, not that that is much of a bar.

Majestic Prince was real good

I remember this show being talked about two years ago and people saying good things about it, but I think it's fallen into the same pit of obscurity that Valvrave has fallen into.

Such prejudice!
You're fine with the CG in Comet Lucifer, Exodus' CG is by the same company and I'd say it looks even better.
As for the Hiraiface... well, yeah. You'll learn to look past it, haha.

The CG looks good in Comet Lucifer, no question about that, but 2D robots will always reign supreme over 3D robots, no matter how good they look.

I guess I'll check it out sooner or later, but everything I've read about it just screams Evangelion clone, and that's what puts me off, haha.

I remember this show being talked about two years ago and people saying good things about it, but

The CG looks good in Comet Lucifer, no question about that, but 2D robots will always reign supreme over 3D robots, no matter how good they look.

I guess I'll check it out sooner or later, but everything I've read about it just screams Evangelion clone, and that's what puts me off, haha.

It's nothing like Evangelion at all. Majestic Prince is a much more traditional mecha story in terms of tone. And it's not some twisty trainwreck that quickly loses steam like Valvrave either.

I remember this show being talked about two years ago and people saying good things about it, but I think it's fallen into the same pit of obscurity that Valvrave has fallen into.

Fafner's not really an Eva clone insofar that the only similarities is teenagers piloting robots to fight off aliens with some vaguely philosophical and existential undertones.

Crocodile

because it's cute I guess

It's not like those 90s kids have watched it. They looked at the art style and became afraid of the moe bogeyman.

Pretty much. I'll get first in line to criticize some aspects of the modern anime industry and what it produces but 99% of the people who bitch about anime in OT have no idea what they are talking about or are taking aim at products not deserving of their scorn.

Jarmel

Banned
Lucky Star is vastly better than Nichijou because it's actually funny. The early episodes of LS are bad but that's generally it.

Ascheroth

I do find it kind of odd how both Majestic Prince and Fafner are CG+Hirai, and I enjoyed both a lot more than many other recently airing mechas.

Now that you say, that is odd.

Sölf;187755828 said:
Finished Gintama 297. Saw the preview to the current arc. Holy. Fucking. Shit. I SO have to catch up!

Yeah, the current arc already started great and it will only get better.

Fafner's not really an Eva clone insofar that the only similarities is teenagers piloting robots to fight off aliens with some vaguely philosophical and existential undertones.

Pretty much what ThatChairMan said. Fafner has its own flow and direction it's taking.
Also, Majestic Princes is nothing like Valvrave, haha.

Jarmel

Banned
That rant a couple minutes ago made me check my list to remember some other shitty sequels and I just found out Last Exile fam fam fam is getting a sequel movie, 4 years later. What the hell?
At a least make it a Dio spin-off or something.
latest

Well the movie is largely a compilation of the sequel TV series.

Line_HTX

Pretty much. I'll get first in line to criticize some aspects of the modern anime industry and what it produces but 99% of the people who bitch about anime in OT have no idea what they are talking about or are taking aim at products not deserving of their scorn.

I really wish the people who made those threads at least do some research before sounding incompetent and bashing the medium in general.

Hagi

I totally forgot that Netflix was going to dub Smile Precure.

Coming December 18. Glitter Force is going to be HYPE.

Wonder what the theme song is going to be like, I didn't really like the show but damn the OP is catchy as hell. We had a funny moment in Mandarake in Shibuya where it came on the speakers and my girlfriend was singing along to it with a 40 year old Japanese man.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wonder what the theme song is going to be like, I didn't really like the show but damn the OP is catchy as hell. We had a funny moment in Mandarake in Shibuya where it came on the speakers and my girlfriend was singing along to it with a 40 year old Japanese man.
It helps when half the song is just "Smile Smile Smile Precure!!!" over and over again. lol

Glitter Glitter Glitter Glitter FORCE!

More hype than Star Wars.
Better than Star Wars!

The year is almost over. Hop to it and finish instead of looking at some atrocious Netflix shit!
Honestly most of my "watching" time is either scrubbing or leaving things on in the background. It's why I haven't watched any anime this season.
(Also Smile Precure is the dope shit yo!)

sonicmj1

Clannad: After Story 19

The events of the previous episode have left our protagonist a changed man. While this episode has a few touching moments, it largely exists to emphasize those changes. Tomoya has now fully embraced parenthood, and with it he has a fresh, positive attitude about life and about the people around him. The episode shows this by placing him in familiar situations, allowing us to contrast his current state with his formerly negative attitude. As always with this series, they even threw in a little sports to highlight his sincerity.

They're very significant changes. The Tomoya of this episode bears little resemblance to the Tomoya from a few episodes prior, or even to the Tomoya fresh out of high school.
It's expected that he would get along better with Ushio now, but particularly noteworthy to me was his response to the gossiping mothers at Ushio's preschool. Their comments were exactly the sort of thing that once had him cursing his circumstances, so it was surprising to see him respond with such a positive attitude.
But that's to be expected: events as dramatic as those of the previous episode naturally create a dramatic response. Thus is Newton's Third Law of Melodrama maintained.

In the dramatic climax of the episode, Tomoya finally has a reckoning with his father, armed with his newfound knowledge. It's nice, but I wasn't all that moved by it. Maybe it's his father's relative passivity in general. He's difficult to react to, quietly accepting things as he always does. His subdued attitude is very unusual for this show.

I'm glad Tomoya's life seems to be in order. I can't imagine what the next four episodes could be about. Or I can, and I don't want to.

My computer's sound died on me twice while watching this episode (and it's also been dying on me repeatedly as I play through Ori), so I'm starting to get nervous.

Line_HTX

Hardware failure warning.

Mine came out of nowhere the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Because it was sudden, I could not start the Utena DVD's.

All the anime stuff I had on my HDD, gone forever.

Obscurity? I thought MJPR could potentially get a continuation.

VVV still has fans.

John Blade

Mine came out of nowhere the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Because it was sudden, I could not start the Utena DVD's.

Do you have another computer or laptop? Use Ubuntu and connect the HDD to some sort of docking system and try to see if you can salvage from there.

sonicmj1

I've got a big external running backup, fortunately.

I really don't want to buy a new computer.

Line_HTX

Is the HDD making a clicking sound?

Yeah, it made a sound that repeated itself in a manner that definitely a signal. It was coming to and end anyway.

My new laptop arrived yesterday and it's already better than the previous one, lol. Dem Newegg prices. Just have to put a ton on my externals I already have and be more careful.

First order of business was making a Dropbox account and then get Firefox and all my add-ons back to begin being on GAF and Twitter immediately, haha.

John Blade

Yeah, it made a sound that repeated itself in a manner that definitely a signal. It was coming to and end anyway.

My new laptop arrived yesterday and it's already better than the previous one, lol. Dem Newegg prices. Just have to put a ton on my externals I already have and be more careful.

First order of business was making a Dropbox account and then get Firefox and all my add-ons back to begin being on GAF and Twitter immediately, haha.

Do your laptop have two or three external port where the HDD can fit? Also, save your stuff in few HDD or cloud service.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 44 & 45

With the previous fight being very quick and boring, this latest one seems to make up for it.
I'm not much for any kind of "tanks" types, but I am rather fond of this with the absorption and form evolving going on. It also helps I think any kind of form transformation (no matter how ridiculous it may look) is pretty dope.

Line_HTX

Do your laptop have two or three external port where the HDD can fit? Also, save your stuff in few HDD or cloud service.

I don't think so. At this point, I already let go of the hard drive. Thankfully the critical stuff like my homework was never on there. If anything, I lost my notes and study guides that I can easily get again.

Yeah, I have two externals already to save stuff.

Quasar

Nick Creamer again. Not too surprised. I don't like everything he's writing but he's put out a lot of hella good articles on his blog (wrongeverytime.com). Is there anyone else on ANN worth reading actually? It looks like they made their layout slightly more readable now, so that's nice.

Yeah. He really is their best writer imo.

John Blade

I don't think so. At this point, I already let go of the hard drive. Thankfully the critical stuff like my homework was never on there. If anything, I lost my notes and study guides that I can easily get again.

Yeah, I have two externals already to save stuff.

Well..do backup your stuff. For me, I am using 2x 2TB HD for my anime collection which I rip from my Blu-ray and DVD and another 2TB as spare when those two fill up which is coming soon.

Line_HTX

Well..do backup your stuff. For me, I am using 2x 2TB HD for my anime collection which I rip from my Blu-ray and DVD and another 2TB as spare when those two fill up which is coming soon.

I might just get another external since a lot of them have more space now than ever before. I'm surprised I had that laptop for over 4 years. It dying was like an old friend going away.

*Squeak

The Perfect Insider 09

That was so goddamn cool. Pretty simple coding terms being thrown around as to why the system did what it did to the footage, the doors and stuff but it was still a sound theory. Way out there, but feasable. Now, the killer seems to be
Magata herself? Did she upload her conscience to the system? I doubt it. Was that Magata's daughter speaking? Oh yeah because the theory some of you threw around was correct, she entered the room pregnant. F could stand for fifteen, as in everything ends at fifteen (it's been fifteen years since she entered the room).
At this point anything could be true. I dig this shit lol. Can't wait for the next episode.

FluxWaveZ

Gintama 215
I was surprised that after the Kabukicho Four Devas Arc, the next episode wasn't a comedy focused one that deflated the previous tension as is the norm for this series, but another pretty dramatic episode. And this was one that sets up some extremely important stuff with the villain alliance. I'm understanding that it isn't really addressed soon after it, though.

Kada didn't really take her downfall well. Probably the most emotionally broken antagonist in this series to date.

Gintama 210 - 214

Brief mention of the previous arc: I wish that the scale of this arc was bigger and that it lasted longer, because an all-out war between the major factions in Kabukicho feels like it should have been much larger than it turned out. It was still really cool, but more buildup, conflicts, and participants (Zura's group, a Shinsengumi mention, Gin's cat group, etc.) would have been nice.

And Shinpachi had what was practically his only real triumphant victory until now by taking out Pirako. it didn't seem too out of place, either, since it just seems like they don't give him the opportunity to show off his skills.

Kinda wish he had an evil analog like Takasugi to Gintoki or Kamui to Kagura so that he could have his own truly serious arcs, but I guess that's not really the purpose of his character.

The Perfect Insider 09

That was so goddamn cool. Pretty simple coding terms being thrown around as to why the system did what it did to the footage, the doors and stuff but it was still a sound theory. Way out there, but feasable. Now, the killer seems to be
Magata herself? Did she upload her conscience to the system? I doubt it. Was that Magata's daughter speaking? Oh yeah because the theory some of you threw around was correct, she entered the room pregnant. F could stand for fifteen, as in everything ends at fifteen (it's been fifteen years since she entered the room).
At this point anything could be true. I dig this shit lol. Can't wait for the next episode.

Why would it be Dr. Magata when they said hes revealing the killer that is one of the people in the room with him?

Jintor

we talking mess about kyo ani? kyo ani good at what they do.

unless they're bad. i still haven't watched that blood girl show. probably never will.

i think kyoani wise sound emphorium is next on my list

Jaxec

Kokoro Connect 1-17

I really enjoyed this series. The situations the characters were put into were fun to watch and I liked how they became closer with each new one. My favorite arc ended up being the first one, with Michi Random at a close second. I found myself liking the characters and their interactions, especially Inaba and Taichi. They played off each other so well. If I had one nitpick, it's that I wish we explored more of Taichi and Aoki. I was waiting the entire series for more on exploring Taichi's character. I would've like to know more about why he is the way he is, caring about others more so then himself, but oh well.

Also
Inaba (before episode 10)>Iori
Inaba (after episode 10)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Iori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom