• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Although maybe 75%-95% of GAF hates Nichijou,
3eGWWVm.gif

How would you call Renton not even deigning to ask about the purpose of Gekkostate for 30 episodes ? For whom he killed, (and had a sudden "oh boy people die when they are killed" revelation for whom he threw away his former life and became a world wide wanted man. Similarly, Gekkostate crew didn't to tell him such a basic thing.

It was part of his development. From the beginning he had always dreamed about being a member of the Gekkostate, and was focusing more on trying to fit in with them.

Yes, the fact that the "people die when they are killed" thing is pretty dumb, but I loved the way it devastates him so much to make it lead to the Ray and Charles arc. You mentioned before that you didn't really care for that arc, with how Renton had only known the two for like, a week.

But I feel that it works because those two were the first people in a long time to really treat Renton like a member of their family. So of course he'd accept it with open arms. It's only until that he learns to his dismay that they're after the Gekkostate, and along with that, Eureka.

So he chooses to throw that chance of a happy life away just so he can be by her side, crying in dismay as he jumps ship to go back to the one he loves.

The developments and moments like those were what truly sold Eureka Seven for me. Everything like that just felt so genuine. Especially compared to most other mecha shows in the 2000s that try so hard to copy stuff like Evangelion.

All in all, I can understand why some might not enjoy Eureka Seven, as it does require the viewer to think that "maybe these people aren't so bad after all", but unlike bad shows like SAO, where the mass murderer gives the protagonist his hacking controls to save his girlfriend from a virtual rapist and we're supposed to see him as a good guy for that, Eureka Seven really made a large effort to make its character developments feel genuine to me.

So many mecha shows nowadays are re-hashing rather than innovating, trying to ape the success of other shows by doing exactly what they do instead of even trying to create an interesting story (coughCrossAngecough), and just coming out as half-assed, like nobody puts any effort into them.

That's what makes Eureka Seven a mecha classic to me. It had real genuine effort put into it by people who loved mecha and wanted to tell a good story.

Plus,
name me one other romance show where the main couple tag their names into the moon. The only thing that tops that in my opinion is the final episode of G Gundam.

Sigh...I really hope 2016 offers some good mecha shows. 2015 has really been bad for this genre.

ibyea

Banned
Eureka Seven 46-50 END

Random musings:
- I don't quite get the ending. A
t first I thought, going by Nirvash explanations that it would depart, along with part/whole of the scub coral to the other universe while E&R would stay. But I guess since they've been missing for a whole year that's not how it went down ?
* Is this bait tfu plot point resolved in the movie ? Lame.

- I was expecting more from Eureka. She was an eternal, whiny damsel in distress.

- Anemone's redemption was awfully telegraphed from the very beginning (I really didn't need two op's beating me over head with it) but when it came to it, I actually really liked the execution of it and of her reunion with Dominic. Much, much better than similar moment in ep~26.

-Like I said earlier, a lot of thing, came out of left field.
Dewey's sudden inner compac drive and the collars, the alternate universe and the way scub coral can just teleport itself there, Renton's love fueled power up
(I guess this was ever present in the series but still ...)

- The show thankfully saved it's best setpieces for the last and while I was frequently underwhelmed by it's action scenes,
The End vs Nirvash and then Gekkostate vs Dewey and his fleet
was some really impressive stuff.

I've already expressed the warmth of my feelings for episode 50 but it nonwithstanding, I thought it was fairly and comparatively okay ending. In general I probably prefer the last 2/5 of the show to what came before. Eureka to my mind, needed a halved episode, more of the elementary worldbuilding at the beginning and not in the latter half of the show and characters ... acting more like logically functioning human beings I guess ?

Still, I've probably seen worse shows ...

Clearly, in a thematically poignant ending about the limits of love, they run away and they saddled the grandpa with their unbearable children.

Just to warn you don't watch the movie. It's bad and it's unrelated to anything that happened in the show. I say that as someone who likes Eureka 7. So to answer your first question, there is no baiting to any sequels (although there is one and it's bad too) at all and the ending is left a bit open ended.

Anyways, glad at least the show ended relatively strong for you even if the overall package dissatisfied you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nichijou is good but Nichibros shits on it. More people need to see it.
I'm not afraid to admit that my favourite part of Nichibros were the Kobayashi segments that aired after the main show. lol

I am disgusted
I wonder how people feel about Nichijou now actually. I remember the news that they were going to recut Nichijou to remove a lot of segments in order to re-air the series and most people were like "maybe it will be funny now".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just to warn you don't watch the movie. It's bad and it's unrelated to anything that happened in the show. I say that as someone who likes Eureka 7. So to answer your first question, there is no baiting to any sequels (although there is one and it's bad too) at all and the ending is left a bit open ended.
Forget Eureka AO exists. lol

K-on is the best anime of all time so it's hard to hate Kyoani even if they haven't made great shows in a while.
I would probably agree that K-On is at least their best show, if not the best anime of all time. But it has much more sentimental value to me as one of my first modern animes, so that colours my thoughts on it.
U---guuuuuuuuuuuuu~~~~

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Perfect Insider Episode 9:

I don't think I have the words to express my rage at this series right now expect to say that the twist is wildly implausible at the best of times and intelligence insulting at the worst of time also Nishinosono is just the worst.

Eila

The E7 movie wasn't too bad. Ao was just ugh. Not sure why they keep making sequels to shows that don't need one. Usually they just sour the good memories.
I'll take Cowboy Bebop 2, though ;)
I assume if that ever happens it's going to be western funded.

Lucky Star is the worst

It was a pretty weird watch for me, some random western guy as I couldn't relate to all the Japanese things brought up and all the outdated anime references. Although the latter mostly boils down to me not having seen Haruhi.

The endings of the last 13 episodes are legit good though, those and the Lucky Channel segment were the best part of the show.

Eila

That rant a couple minutes ago made me check my list to remember some other shitty sequels and I just found out Last Exile fam fam fam is getting a sequel movie, 4 years later. What the hell?
At a least make it a Dio spin-off or something.
latest

I still find it funny that Lucky Star and TTGL aired in the same season. From what I saw (I was pretty young back then) Lucky Star was huge and TTGL was kind of on the sideline. Now TTGL is way bigger then LS ever was and everyone forgot about Lucky Star. Which is good because Lucky Star sucks ass.

But I liked Lucky Star back then. I also liked Dokuro-chan, because i was stupid.

Sölf

You guys all don't know how great Lucky Star is. Even though, the first few episodes were pretty weak, but it became much better later on.

I was going to say "can we at least agree that Lucky Star's OP sucks?" but no one seems to be defending Lucky Star (I won't since I've not seen it) so don't mind me.

Edit: Well Solf is trying to at least.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 9

This episode was a good example how to have character progression and plot progression work simultaneously while doing a good job at doing so. Things seem to be looking up for Tekkadan and I look forward to seeing everything go wrong at some point.

Eila

Lucky Star, Genshiken and other otaku shows are much more enjoyable if you actually know what they're referencing.
Lucky Star didn't invent moe or anything, not sure why many new fans hate it so much.

Ascheroth

So many mecha shows nowadays are re-hashing rather than innovating, trying to ape the success of other shows by doing exactly what they do instead of even trying to create an interesting story (coughCrossAngecough), and just coming out as half-assed, like nobody puts any effort into them.

That's what makes Eureka Seven a mecha classic to me. It had real genuine effort put into it by people who loved mecha and wanted to tell a good story.

Plus,
name me one other romance show where the main couple tag their names into the moon. The only thing that tops that in my opinion is the final episode of G Gundam.

Sigh...I really hope 2016 offers some good mecha shows. 2015 has really been bad for this genre.

But Fafner Exodus is a mecha show and it's the AOTY (that barely anyone watches).
I honestly think you'd really like it.

Clov

Well, I loved Lucky Star back then and I still do now. It's the anime that got me into watching anime, so it's got a special place in my heart. The characters are fun, and it's just a pleasant, relaxing show overall. To me it's probably as pure as a slice of life show can get, since each episode is just an assortment of happenings focused on the various characters. I really appreciated that; it was something great to unwind to. I get that it's not for everyone, but I don't think it's bad at all.

Ascheroth

A mecha show with a CG robot + Hirai face combo can't possibly be good for the genre!

Such prejudice!
You're fine with the CG in Comet Lucifer, Exodus' CG is by the same company and I'd say it looks even better.
As for the Hiraiface... well, yeah. You'll learn to look past it, haha.

If people are actually interested in Kyoto Animation as a real studio and not as a symbol, there's a good recent article on ANN that goes into a bit of their particular qualities. ANN has been putting up several quite good articles lately, actually; I'm impressed.

Nick Creamer again. Not too surprised. I don't like everything he's writing but he's put out a lot of hella good articles on his blog (wrongeverytime.com). Is there anyone else on ANN worth reading actually? It looks like they made their layout slightly more readable now, so that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom