• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
plXfdkf.jpg
gosw7ry.jpg

More at the link. Left is TV, right is Blu-Ray. This is from episode 5 alone. Great job cleaning things up, Toei!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Happy birthday jgminto

Owarimonogatari 9
Gaen Izuko monologue is entertaining. Too bad the visual not as exciting. Except when it's Shinobu part. That one is pretty.

Narag

Looks like they filled in some detail and slapped some effects on it yet it's still ugly. Guess you really can't polish a turd.

John Blade

Just got another order for Right Stuff sales. I am going to have too many anime to go and watch for the next few years...

eX-Driver: The Movie CD Soundtrack
Say 'I Love You.' Blu-ray
Submarine 707R Limited Edition DVD
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie CD Soundtrack
Space Adventure Cobra: The Original TV Series DVD Part 1 (S)
Space Adventure Cobra: The Original TV Series Part 2 DVD
Aria The Animation Season 1 DVD Litebox
Aria The Natural Season 2 Part 1 DVD Litebox
Aria The Natural Season 2 Part 2 DVD Litebox'
Aria The Origination Season 3 + Arietta OVA DVD Litebox
Penguin Drum Collection 1 Blu-ray
Penguin Drum Collection 2 Blu-ray
Place to Place Blu-ray
Miami Guns DVD 1
Miami Guns DVD 2
Miami Guns DVD 3
Kite: Liberator Blu-ray

K Return of Kings Episode 10
tumblr_nyuo0vqfie1u74mvgo4_540.jpg
tumblr_nyuo0vqfie1u74mvgo5_540.jpg

Fushimi just finds a rival no matter where he goes, awesome with the Sukuna scene and him, they should have fought, but getting hit on the head was just as pleasing.

Rooftop backstory scene was really cool, everyone drawing their swords and posing all cool looking, was the best part of the movie easily. Then they even said their no blood no bone no ash lines. I would love more of Homra v Scepter4 backstory.

tumblr_nyuo7kQDv91u74mvgo6_540.jpg
tumblr_nyuo7kQDv91u74mvgo10_540.jpg

Clov

Just got another order for Right Stuff sales. I am going to have too many anime to go and watch for the next few years...

eX-Driver: The Movie CD Soundtrack
Say 'I Love You.' Blu-ray
Submarine 707R Limited Edition DVD
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie CD Soundtrack
Space Adventure Cobra: The Original TV Series DVD Part 1 (S)
Space Adventure Cobra: The Original TV Series Part 2 DVD
Aria The Animation Season 1 DVD Litebox
Aria The Natural Season 2 Part 1 DVD Litebox
Aria The Natural Season 2 Part 2 DVD Litebox'
Aria The Origination Season 3 + Arietta OVA DVD Litebox
Penguin Drum Collection 1 Blu-ray
Penguin Drum Collection 2 Blu-ray

Place to Place Blu-ray
Miami Guns DVD 1
Miami Guns DVD 2
Miami Guns DVD 3
Kite: Liberator Blu-ray

Did nobody warn you about the Penguindrum BDs? D: I hope you knew what you were getting with those!

duckroll

I promise I'll make a post when this next episode of Concrete Revolutio airs!

Well impressions are fine and all, but I actually just want to talk to someone about the show right now and discuss what has happened so far and where it could be going lol.

Russ T

Banned
oh well then yeah i'm probably no good for that

i'd have to put some real thought into the whole thing and my mind is preoccupied

duckroll

I just want them to all work together again before Concrete Revolution ends surely Jiro cant forever dislike the Bureau.

Why not? We already know the Bureau is part of an extra-dimensional conspiracy which uses it to control the world and manage humanity for the interests of beings higher than us. Knowing this why would Jiro work for them again? He's clearly forming his own team of heroes to destroy the established order. Hence... "revolution".

I want Concrete Revolutio to do two things.

1. Stick the landing. Give us a good a compelling reason for Jiro's actions and behavior. He's already a good character in my mind, but whatever sent him over the edge needs to be solid.

2. This girl
needs to make more funny faces, and hopefully get with Jiro.

Sentai doing a poor job?

Perish the thought!

Hey guys, you remember what Sentai has? What they're probably gonna fuck up?

Ushio and Tora.

Because it's not like any of us would like to see that show with a good dub on Toonami or anything.

Nope.

....God fucking dammit.

John Blade

Poor image quality throughout both collections, unfortunately. Sentai did one of their worst jobs on this one.

On a side note, I'm bored. Someone recommend me a great anime movie to watch.

Wow....is they another Blu-ray release for this show or it have to be from the Japanese Blu-ray version? I will still buy it as I am interested in the show but might be a bit annoyed from this poor picture quality.

As for anime movie, Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine or Jin Roh.

Edit: Is K-On worth the money to get on RightStuff Sale? Looking at the tons of anime and manga, I kinda in a weird area as new show isn't something I watch too often.

Clov

Sentai doing a poor job?

Perish the thought!

I know, right? They've gotten better since then thankfully, but it's really upsetting that they screwed up this show so badly.

Wow....is they another Blu-ray release for this show or it have to be from the Japanese Blu-ray version? I will still buy it as I am interested in the show but might be a bit annoyed from this poor picture quality.

As for anime movie, Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine or Jin Roh.

Right now there's no other North American release of the show. The Japanese Blu-Rays don't have the issues that Sentai's do.

Also, good suggestions! I've seen those both already though. :p

duckroll

I want Concrete Revolutio to do two things.

1. Stick the landing. Give us a good a compelling reason for Jiro's actions and behavior. He's already a good character in my mind, but whatever sent him over the edge needs to be solid.

2. This girl
download.png

needs to make more funny faces, and hopefully get with Jiro.

Regarding 1.
I feel that they've already shown a good reason why he went "over the edge". It wasn't just any one thing, but the deciding point seems to be Rainbow Knight. They covered that pretty well in episode 8 imo. Before that Jiro already suspected all was not black and white and was working behind the scenes to help some people "his way". Knowing that someone he respected as a true hero was betrayed by the government would surely make him reconsider all his goals.

Regarding 2.
I think recent episodes, especially the one with Earth-chan, hints that she has her own destiny and agenda at the end of it all. One she might not really want for herself, but is a responsibility nonetheless. The early episode about the Taltaros Queen could also be a parallel to this. Remember, she's not human.

Either way, I expect that the show will continue next year for another season because there's almost no way they can wrap it all up in the next 4 eps.

John Blade

I know, right? They've gotten better since then thankfully, but it's really upsetting that they screwed up this show so badly.

Right now there's no other North American release of the show. The Japanese Blu-Rays don't have the issues that Sentai's do.

Also, good suggestions! I've seen those both already though. :p

Well..I don't watch too much Anime movie but if you don't mind short OVA anime, I would look at the list below. I did praise quite a bit here but it's this show I go back and watch once a while.

Iria: Zeiram The Animation
Mezzo Forte
Gunsmith Cats
You're Under Arrest (OVA)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

Clov

Take your pick:

Shiranpuri
Hotarubi no Mori e
Kara no Kyoukai 5: Paradox Spiral
Barefoot Gen
Blue Exorcist: The Movie

Saint Young Men
Asura
Giovanni's Island
Chie the Brat

The bold are the ones I haven't seen yet. You made me remember that a friend of mine has been bugging me to watch Asura for months now, so I think I'll check that one out!

Defuser

Man, all of Taku Iwasaki 's work down the drain because of a Islamic text. He must be livid.
I wonder what will happen to Noragami now...either a hypothetical season 3 will not be made due to the money lost to recalling the Iwasaki's cd and delaying the first BD or season 3 will still be made but Iwasaki will not be called back. Hopefully it's not the former.

duckroll

lol

I plan on catching up next week since apparently it does get better. Sawano X is this weekend.

Edit:I actually might try to do that this weekend as a form of break time.

When did you stop? The narrative structure is still kinda half-baked in the sense that it doesn't feel like they have enough runtime or episodes to really tell the full stories they want to, but it gets a lot better when there are just enough events across the timeline which they cover to create a sense of continuity via event landmarks. Once I could see where it was all going and how things were connected, even the individual stories started to feel more "complete".

Man, all of Taku Iwasaki 's work down the drain because of a Islamic text. He must be livid.
I wonder what will happen to Noragami now...either a hypothetical season 3 will not be made due to the money lost to recalling the Iwasaki's cd and delaying the first BD or season 3 will still be made but Iwasaki will not be called back. Hopefully it's not the former.

I don't really think he has anyone to blame but himself. He's a good composer, but he gets involved in various controversies because he's either lazy about copying something, or he's just oblivious to social climate as in this case. The same shit happened with LBP iirc. Why run the risk when making a commercial product? There are all sorts of chants you can use for music.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 1 (engDub)
CVbxoGGWcAAAcW7.png
CVbzgMeWEAA-h0S.png

Its back, cfvanguard is back and better than ever because Toshiki Kai, Miwa, Morikawa, even Aichi Sendou have finally been shown. This G Quest will be so spectacular. Imagine it, Toshiki Kai cardfighting again, and maybe even Ibuki and Naoki and some Kamui too.

Decent outfit changes, Ill miss Chronos arms, and the boots is decent choice but yeah prefer the summer outfit much more.

Luna is great, her generation stride was spectacular, how she bend back so far, Ina Bauer possibly?
CVb03csWoAEML5U.png
CVb04cCWcAE5cA2.png

Regarding 1.
I feel that they've already shown a good reason why he went "over the edge". It wasn't just any one thing, but the deciding point seems to be Rainbow Knight. They covered that pretty well in episode 8 imo. Before that Jiro already suspected all was not black and white and was working behind the scenes to help some people "his way". Knowing that someone he respected as a true hero was betrayed by the government would surely make him reconsider all his goals.

Regarding 2.
I think recent episodes, especially the one with Earth-chan, hints that she has her own destiny and agenda at the end of it all. One she might not really want for herself, but is a responsibility nonetheless. The early episode about the Taltaros Queen could also be a parallel to this. Remember, she's not human.

Either way, I expect that the show will continue next year for another season because there's almost no way they can wrap it all up in the next 4 eps.

Yeah, I could see the incident with
Rainbow Knight being the tipping point. I want to see the moment he goes rouge though.

It's worth noting that he's started to use his strange unspecified power after going rogue. That makes me think we're gonna see the moment.

And I also want to see more of Kikko. I feel like she's gonna be a big part of the puzzle since we know very little about her.

What was your favorite episode? I really liked the commentary in the Kaiju episodes.

Is there something special about Concrete Revolution or what?

It's...a show that bucks off traditional linear story telling with mixed success to say the least.

But as it goes along, previously unfulfilling moments feel better thought out.

Also Kikko...with her awkwardness and general goofiness...
tumblr_nvq52zZU4t1rd6sdio1_540.gif

might be girl of the season.

Clov

Asura was pretty good! Really bleak, but really well done. The CG was really good; it might be the best looking mostly CG anime I've seen. Pacing was a bit quick, but I didn't mind too much.

Narag

Porco Rosso

I'd mor or less avoided tis one for some years now as I'd heard it often decried as falling short of Miyazaki's other works and that it was a little unconventional for one of his films. What I failed to do was interpret that sentiment as meaning it strayed away from the usual formula of the youth on a quest. Instead I was treated to something that I'd describe a little more "adult" compared to the usual Miyazaki Ghibli fare.

There's just so much I liked about this one but foremost of all was Porco's character existing in a time that had no real place for him. He was this living anachronism who almost felt like the very spirit of the seaplane pilots Fio had heard about growing up. His non-commital approach to living life anyway but his own superficially sounds like so many other protagonists but Porco felt unique in how he didn't seek isolation but carried it about with him, keeping a safe distance from near anyone he'd ever known or cared for. He had a place with Gina, he had a place with the Air Force, he could have had a place with Fio but that would have been caging the bird that needed to fly free to survive. I mean, I hope Gina won her bet at the end but there's this sense of inertia with her waiting in her garden that's so wonderfully complementary with Porco's meandering through life.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the grounded setting. There's this pulp sense of adventure to Porco's life but the world it takes place in is so close to our own. Yes, there's the issue of the pig spell but that carries the weight of explaining the visual metaphor of someone that had discarded their humanity and/or cannot become the person they used to be. The same goes with Porco in the cloud prairie as that's entirely dependent on Porco's reliability as a narrator when telling that story to Fio. The rise of Fascism in Italy also gives the film a historical basis that's easy to relate to, putting the story a little closer to home than I would have expected going into this.

There's also this genuine infectious sentiment in this movie regarding aircraft. It's not a secret Miyazaki likes planes and the film felt like a revelry in such. So many beautiful flight sequences and lovely mechanical animation throughout, it's actually piqued my curiosity towards The Wind Rises. It's just so great that there was this entire seaplane culture on display in some corner of the Adriatic. It's doubly great that we get to witness its twilight hours where some have resorted to bounty hunting and others piracy simply to make a living as the world sweeps away the concept of freelancing pilots by binding them to countries be it via licensing or military service. It's risen and fallen to the point that it's something grandfathers tell their granddaughters like a fairy tale about how things once were with the heroes of the sky going forth and defending the honor they treasured most.

New favorite Ghibli movie? Very well could be although I still need to go through the Takahata stuff. I can see myself coming back to this one often regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom