• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

One Punch Man OAD - Road to Hero

That was pretty enjoyable. Obviously it didn't have the production values of a high end episode of the series, but since it was a relatively mundane flashback it worked well. Good direction and it's nice to see an extended story with Saitama in his pre-bald design. The music was also exceptionally on point for the episode. :)

Haikyu S2 - Episode 10

Goddamn. What a match. Even though it's just a practice match, it was so exciting it just flew by. Great to see all the individual things they've been trying at finally working together. They ended the episode at the worst possible moment though. I was all pumped up to see the end of the match and BAM... credits. Lol.

Chindogg

So after struggling through Bakemonogatari I'm breezing through Nisemonogatari.

Then I hit the toothbrush episode.

I'm at a loss for words.

So after struggling through Bakemonogatari I'm breezing through Nisemonogatari.

Then I hit the toothbrush episode.

I'm at a loss for words.

Struggling through Bake but breezing through Nise? I was pretty much the opposite, lol

In any case Second Season and Owari are both pretty great.

Chindogg

It is interesting how the Monogatari series seems to be just the natural progression of Araragi's sexual maturity.

It's a harem, and clearly he's had crosses with each of the girls at one point or another, but in the end he stays in his relationship while still being allowed to cross with all these characters.

It's weird but refreshing and the relationships actually seem far more realistic than your typical harem fare.

there are 3 episodes after the star gazing episode in bake btw

Yeah I had to find a pirate stream to watch those unfortunately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is interesting how the Monogatari series seems to be just the natural progression of Araragi's sexual maturity.

It's a harem, and clearly he's had crosses with each of the girls at one point or another, but in the end he stays in his relationship while still being allowed to cross with all these characters.

It's weird but refreshing and the relationships actually seem far more realistic than your typical harem fare.

Yeah I had to find a pirate stream to watch those unfortunately.
Well, there's no doubt that Senjougahara is his girlfriend. Everything else becomes a part of the jousting that happens between the characters.

wonzo

Banned
Man, how do Omigawa still manages to get roles with her terrible voice? She must have one heck of a agent/manager.

bad_post.jpgdhktz.jpg

Maybe one day he'll mature to the point of actually interacting on-screen with his girlfriend instead of flirting with all those other girls all the time. Monogatari is a series that wants to have its cake and eat it too when it comes to Araragi and his harem.

Chindogg

Maybe one day he'll mature to the point of actually interacting on-screen with his girlfriend instead of flirting with all those other girls all the time.

Well they've made it clear he makes out with her quite often off screen. Perhaps omitting those scenes is meant to be left to everyone's imagination since it's kinda irrelevant to the series (although it would be nice to see them actually showing affection for one another. It's a big reason why I loved ep12 of Bake so much.)

The series was secretly about Senjougahara's harem the whole time.

Yet why does she completely cower to Hanekawa? Yeah she's a rival but damn for someone so strong she buckles to her quick.

Chindogg

Speaking of LNs, is there any place to get physical LNs?

I'm brushing up hard on my Japanese literacy and would like some books to actually read instead of just flashcard sheets on Wanikani.

Speaking of LNs, is there any place to get physical LNs?

I'm brushing up hard on my Japanese literacy and would like some books to actually read instead of just flashcard sheets on Wanikani.

I think the only Monogatari LN that has been localized so far is Kizumonogatari (how Shinobu and Araragi met during spring break)

From what I understand Monogatari is pretty difficult to read because of how much Kanji Nisio uses? I wouldn't actually know. You can probably get them on Amazon.jp

Chindogg

I think the only Monogatari LN that has been localized so far is Kizumonogatari (how Shinobu and Araragi met during spring break)

From what I understand Monogatari is pretty difficult to read because of how much Kanji Nisio uses? I wouldn't actually know. You can probably get them on Amazon.jp

Ok cool.

For anyone who is Japanese literate, are there any suggestions for LNs or mangas that would help my literacy quest? I'm hoping to take at least the N3 by summer but I'd like to go as far as I can.

Kinokuniya usually has them (at least in my country)

I should have stated I'm in the US.

pbayne

The Wind Rises

Not my favorite movie of Miyazaki's but I liked it well enough. I don't know how I'd taken its own without having seen Porco Rosso like I had last night. Felt the two movies are really, really complementary and both have this personal feeling like these are the movies Miyazaki made for himself more than anything. It's also something I feel I'll appreciate on repeat viewing or as something I watch later in life when I'm looking back rather than forward. Not a lot more to add outside of the sound effects which I thought were were mostly ok. In practical real world use, I thought they stood out but they gave the dream sequences and the earthquake scene a wonderfully surreal quality.

This so much.

Like i love Ghibli and Miyazaki but fuck i found Wind Rises really self-indulgent.

Like Jiro is what Miyazaki fantasies himself to be. Watch nearly any Ghibli movie and you know they have a massive hard-on for flight or flying=independence/freedom. Im not saying all their movies have to be whimsy and wonder but Wind rises is so dry at times. Scenes were Jiro and his friend just sit smoking, talking about planes who was riveted by those apart from Miyazaki? Yes realism is nice to have but don't sacrifice entertainment for it.

I get the whole anti-war and corruption of creativity/beauty theme they were going for but it just felt really meh by Ghibli standards.

Quasar

I wasn't used to the incredibly saturated dialogue. By the stargazing episode I finally got used to it.

Nise's just easy now.

I struggled too with text overload. I gradually got used to it. I shudder to think how people aren't fans of subs deal. Throw their hands after episode 1 I guess. Though I wouldn't watch it I feel I'd be amused to see a dub.

Theonik

I don't know what the point of the episode was but it was amusing for sure!
It's more to fill Ikuhara's need for cow episodes and for the writer's obsession with them. Watch that scene from melody of oblivion. *NSFW* (same writer)

ZZ Gundam 18
Oh I finally figured out why I didn't quite get ZZ so far. It's not that it's Gundam or a secret super robot show or pushback to Zeta's darkness. It's actually just secret harem anime!!!!!
Secret 80s lolishit.

Subete ga F 9

I watched this in Thursday as always, but yesterday who knows why I started thinking a bit more about it, and man, that was a mistake.

The entire mystery hinges on the audience believing that

-a high tech lab with guards, cams everywhere, etc didn't have cams in the Dr. Magata quarters, despite her being the prisoner who the guards were supposed to watch over.
-No one entered in her rooms in 15 years apart from the director. No guards to do periodic security checks, no medics to treat any illness and check on her, no maintenance staff to fix things that broke with the pass of years, or anyone delivering food. No one.

And why? Because the Japanese has a weird hard-on for "closed room" mysteries, who knows why. I have watched several Japanese media with the same theme, they seem to really like it. So this is the same, all the strained plot and setup in the end is just to make a ridiculous closed room murder mystery solved in a very contrived way.

From the New World Episode 5
download.png

Rat people, sometimes slightly more tolerant than crab people.

Also, DAMN sudden relationship upgrade is sudden, but it made sense, in its own way. And it didn't feel like it was there for fanservice.The scene felt very human.

Also, this episode had a pretty sudden art shift that apparently really confused people. Change in director. I actually felt the episode was nicely shot.

....But now I'm stuck wondering what the hell that white stuff at the end was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom