• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voror

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 1

My favorite show of the fall season so far.
It has very likable charachters. It's similar to the old Utawarerumono, but still completely diferent.

Would watching the original series be needed or recommended to watch this? Or is this sort of a remake?

Exalted

Would watching the original series be needed or recommended to watch this? Or is this sort of a remake?
Honestly i don't know, so far it looks like a complete remake, but in the poster for the new show, there are some of the old charachters from the previous series, but they are way in the back, so it could mean nothing.
I would still recomend the old one, it a nice show.

You should be fine watching the new Utawarerumono on its own. Aquaplus sequels aren't that dependent on earlier games. They aren't making a sequel a decade later and chaining it to an older game.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - 01

Let's see, heroine is a tsundere pink/redhead, she has a title of princess and use swords and has fire magic. Didn't I already watch this today?
Not sure if I accidentally replayed the Gakusen Toshi Asterisk episode or not. This doesn't have lightsabers though. Almost thought she was going become Shimoneta Anna for a second at the end.

I like the ED(?) though, visually I'm a sucker for the black and white thing

Qblivion

Am I allowed to ask for general recommendations in this thread? I've noticed people online tend to get pissed off when someone asks for anime recommendations.

Voror

Not required though if you have time i recommended you also watch the first one.

Honestly i don't know, so far it looks like a complete remake, but in the poster for the new show, there are some of the old charachters from the previous series, but they are way in the back, so it could mean nothing.
I would still recomend the old one, it a nice show.

You should be fine watching the new Utawarerumono on its own. Aquaplus sequels aren't that dependent on earlier games. They aren't making a sequel a decade later and chaining it to an older game.

Gotcha. I think I will check out the first as a friend has been recommending it to me for a while now along with this upcoming one.

Am I allowed to ask for general recommendations in this thread? I've noticed people online tend to get pissed off when someone asks for anime recommendations.

Nah you're good, people ask for recs all the time here. It helps to have some kind of idea of what you want though or else we will just throw you the general answers like Ping Pong or Hyouka, which are worth watching but may not be what you are looking for

Qurupeke

I don't know what you're looking for or what you've already seen but watch Bakemonogatari.

Qblivion

oh ok cool. The last new anime I watched was Samurai Flamenco which I liked, kinda reminded me of Tiger and Bunny which I really liked. I also like weird shit like Penguindrum, Trapeze and Evangelion. I liked Fate/Zero but never watched the new FSN since I read the VN, is that worth watching anyways?

I don't know what you're looking for or what you've already seen but watch Bakemonogatari.

I've seen it and liked it! The sequels seemed real creepy though lol

Owarimonogatari 1-2

Hey this is Monogatari!. Same characters, same dialogue, same visuals, same direction. Continuity of experience.

Except...

I have to say it...

This was pretty boring. Looking at the clock from time to time-boring.

It's literally a 45 minute dialog scene between two people talking about something that happened in the past and no parlor trick or gimmick can avoid the inherent problems of something like that. Hell, the entire scene is in the past, as last time we saw these characters Araragi already was clued in her being what she doesn't seem, and this is a flashback to their first meeting, it quits tension to this arc. The dialog itself lacking the typical snappy humor/wit that usually have with some of the girls (like with Shinobu/Kanbaru/Senjou/Mayoi) didn't help. Yes, I know that *monogatari being just pure dialog is a this point not a surprise for anybody but sometimes it can be done in a way that is engaging, and sometimes not. This is the latter.

About what happened: maybe I'm paranoid but the feeling that Ougi gave me
when she appeared in the past season, as if every character knew her from before, is that she manipulates people's memory and with that, somehow even reality. And that's what happened in this episode. Nothing of this happened, the classroom as Araragi says didn't exist. She made Araragi "remember" a false episode of his life.
I think some of the stuff that happened with Kanbaru and Nadeko with Ougi were similar, with people doubting what she said, and then shrugging it off and saying "oh, I suppose you are right, I don't remember exactly whatever), now we have seen it directly.

mofus are finally saved
JLoY4bi.jpg
wdaMShp.jpg

UKcpkW9.jpg
Ld7pRpU.jpg

Narag

Anyhow, thought it might be fun to toy with the idea of New Year’s resolution nonsense (past the universal one we all share of watching less anime) and having folk picking some backlog stuff to finally get to this year rather than putting off for one reason or another. More than likely it’s something popular that might engender some discussion rather than people talking past one another and, frankly, deadline pressure doesn’t hurt. I wouldn’t get too involved though given how life can throw one a curveball nor would I expect everyone to post about every episode watched but hey, there’s still good stuff for most of us to watch yet.

To get us started, I took an informal poll of some people to help serve as an example. Something, say, like one long series, a couple short series, a handful of movies, or some sort of combination would be ideal. It’s not meant to be a burden but rather that extra push to chisel away at the lingering part of the ol’ backlog.

Deputy Dangle
  • Hyouka
  • Wolf's Rain
darkside31337
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
dresden
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS
  • The Last Red Shoulder
  • Mellowlink
firehawk12
  • last 13 eps of Utena
gashikunFLCL
  • The rest of Urusei Yatsura
haly
  • Hidasketch
Mature
  • Hyouka
  • Wolf's Rain
  • Irresponsible Captain Tylor
  • The rest of Urusei Yatsura
madpierrot
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    [*]Turn A Gundam
    [*]Digimon S1
MetroidPrimeRib
  • Gintama
Mr. Jeff
  • Gundam Build Fighters
Narag
  • Rest of the Ghibli films not seen yet
  • ZZ Gundam
  • Last half of Hyouka
  • Mazinger Z
  • Space Adventure Cobra TV
SliceSabre
  • Gundam 00
  • Turn A Gundam
sonicmj1
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS
  • the rest of Mushishi
survivor
  • Kare Kano
  • Kimi no Todoke
ZachDeKoromaru
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Sailor Moon S

Anyhow, I’ll leave this open until the end of the month and finalize it then if there’s enough interest. We can all have a good laugh at MPR when everyone but him has finished at the end of the year.

Well MPR went and showed everyone up as we're all slackers. I think this is mostly accurate but I forgot to save stuff from last time so had to make corrections by memory. Have fun!

Makikou

Haikyuu Season 2 01

Finally, really enjoyed the 1st season and they didn't spend anytime loafing around on the first ep here. Good stuff and looking forward to next ep's

Sölf

oh ok cool. The last new anime I watched was Samurai Flamenco which I liked, kinda reminded me of Tiger and Bunny which I really liked. I also like weird shit like Penguindrum, Trapeze and Evangelion. I liked Fate/Zero but never watched the new FSN since I read the VN, is that worth watching anyways?

You did good then.

So, erm, any specific genre? Or anything you don't like? I am actually tempted to say try and watch Space Dandy, but that could be hit or miss (and the first few episodes are not as good as the later ones, especially the very first is rather bad).

Hibike! Euphonium 11-13 END
That was a good ride. I still don't know why I struggled with the first 5-6 episodes. They felt long and hard to watch, but I still somewhat enjoyed it. Starting with episode 7 the show became much better, Reina finally got some well deserved screentime by then. I must admit I didn't really like this whole audition subplot, I was happy when that was finally over by episode 11. The last two episodes were pretty good though. I would watch a second season.

Well MPR went and showed everyone up as we're all slackers. I think this is mostly accurate but I forgot to save stuff from last time so had to make corrections by memory. Have fun!

i can't believe i'm one of the ones who finished considering how bad my pace is
I had the most to watch too

pbayne

Yeah if you liked the spectacle of Fate/Zero you should probably check out FSN as well.

If you liked Tiger and Bunny id recommend One-Punch Man which is starting soon, as they both kind of mix that Western superhero feel with anime.

And you didn't even sign up for that either, I just drafted you since you were being difficult.

This just shows the best way to get me to do something is to put me on the spot, like a reverse firehawk.

but i still wont watch cobra or shin mazinger or whatever

this means i should be put down for LoGH or the rest of UC gundam

kewlmyc

Blood Blockade Battlefront 1-3

I'm so confused. What is happening? I get the general idea of the show, but the show feels so random right now.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 1-3

I'm so confused. What is happening? I get the general idea of the show, but the show feels so random right now.

Well that never stops, it always feels like that. Some people may find that enjoyable, but the plot disappears forever as quickly as it appeared and the show isn't good enough episode-by-episode to get a pass like Gintama or Space Dandy.

The best episode is the one about burgers. Code Talker would be proud.

Narag

This just shows the best way to get me to do something is to put me on the spot, like a reverse firehawk.

Multiple signing up for LoGH in 2016 sounds like a way to keep people honest about watching it.

METROID PLZ IT'S AN ACTION PACKED SUPER ROBOT FROM THE WRITER OF G GUNDAM WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?

METROID PLZ IT'S AN ACTION PACKED SUPER ROBOT FROM THE WRITER OF G GUNDAM WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?

i just remembered katanagatari exists so i'm pretty sure i already know what i am watching next anyway

I know that's not connected to Monogatari but it looks really cool

If a bunch of people get put down for LoGH + movies next year I will be in on that, VOTOMS was fun even though it was just four of us by the end

Sölf

I'd end up restarting but I was a few eps in. We'll see how it goes!

I already restarted once, but I only saw like 8 or so episodes then. I think the first "Arc" or "season" ended at 24 or 26, so I think I would just continue from where I left off. But eh, would give me a reason to finally finish this. xD

phaze

Haven't seen Trapeze yet but if you want something weird from the same director, check out Mononoke.

FSN is very pretty but the story leaves a lot to be desired. If you've already read VN i feel you would be better served just watching the fights.

i just remembered katanagatari exists so i'm pretty sure i already know what i am watching next anyway

I know that's not connected to Monogatari but it looks really cool

If a bunch of people get put down for LoGH + movies next year I will be in on that, VOTOMS was fun even though it was just four of us by the end

It's the same author and the same wordy style in case you weren't aware. I feel like you'll have to watch a few silent films to compensate for that Mono + Kata/gatari dialogue overload. ;p

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen - 01

I have no idea what this actually is, but I dig the setting and I liked what I saw. Aside from the first five minutes or so, this was very relaxing and sort of comfy.

I wouldn't mind if this turns out to be a laid back show about him experiencing more of this "monster hunter" fantasy world and learning/integrate the ways of the mountain village people.
I also really liked the soundtrack in this! I went in expecting nothing, and was pleasantly surprised.

kewlmyc

Well that never stops, it always feels like that. Some people may find that enjoyable, but the plot disappears forever as quickly as it appeared and the show isn't good enough episode-by-episode to get a pass like Gintama or Space Dandy.

That's a shame. I kept hearing comparisons to Baccano elsewhere, but that doesn't really exist so far other than it being in New York and the cast being huge.

Phatmac

It has a general plot but it's more about the atmosphere and characters so far. The show is saved by the incredible music and directing that it works out. Hopefully it gets another season to develop the plot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 1:

I am not sure what exactly this is but it has left a better impression on me then say Heavy Object. I think I have heard the words Spice and Wolf uttered in the vicinity and I can see the comparisons though kind of in reverse. Not completely sold on this show yet but I actually got watch people who interacted like actual people instead of the polystyrene husks that get paraded around in the shitty light novel adaptations. Also, watching a show that knows how to show and not tell is likewise refreshing.

Jarmel

Banned
i am not going to watch those shows, what makes them so similar?

-"The world has changed due to the introduction of a superpower."
-Main character walks in on girl changing
-Girl screams and calls him a pervert
-Girl has magic fire powers
-Girl is a princess from a foreign country
-Girl is considered 'unapproachable' and is one of the best at the school
-Girl tries to light him on fire for seeing him naked
-Girl challenges him to a duel
-Guy wins despite being a 'failure'
-School is part of a yearly tournament involving said superpowers
-School hasn't won in a while

Sölf

-"The world has changed due to the introduction of a superpower."
-Main character walks in on girl changing
-Girl screams and calls him a pervert
-Girl has magic fire powers
-Girl is a princess from a foreign country
-Girl is considered 'unapproachable' and is one of the best at the school
-Girl tries to light him on fire for seeing him naked
-Girl challenges him to a duel
-Guy wins despite being a 'failure'
-School is part of a yearly tournament involving said superpowers
-School hasn't won in a while

This sounds familiar...

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 1:

I am not sure what exactly this is but it has left a better impression on me then say Heavy Object. I think I have heard the words Spice and Wolf uttered in the vicinity and I can see the comparisons though kind of in reverse. Not completely sold on this show yet but I actually got watch people who interacted like actual people instead of the polystyrene husks that get pa rared around in the shitty light novel adaptations. Also, watching a show that knows how to show and not tell is likewise refreshing.

It's an adaptation of a strategy RPG, so Spice and Wolf it won't be. Expect war and battles once the village is inevitably attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom