• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I stopped with Monogatari somewhere in second season. It wasn't that it was bad, it's just that at some point I just completely lost interest in that universe. Probably during Nise.

Maybe I'll go back at some point but I dunno.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Attack on Titan: Junior High 01

If they were going to ape the first OP they should have gone the whole way and just did the first OP same song with the chibi art style. The use of the same OST is pretty funny. I know I said they should have gone all the way for the OP but this is already overusing "Scene from the series with a punchline at the end."

I dunno it's alright, a few of the gags were good, the one at the beginning with Jean was probably the best. But its clear this will just be an average comedy series using highly flanderized versions of the characters, which is about what anyone should have expected. At least it succeeds in making Eren look like a dumbass, thumbs up for that. I take it back, maybe S2 will be better then this.
Did they find the basement in this yet.

Did they find the basement in this yet.

If the last episode of this show ends on them finding the basement and the basement just contains Isayama desperately trying to figure out what is in the basement then it will be justified

Manga wise? Next 3 chapters max...unless a distraction happens which isn't impossible.

Owarimonogatari 1
Maybe I'm not just in the mood for meaningless navel gazing and stale dialogue, but this was an exceedingly boring 50 minutes. As an opening in a work of prose this might work, but it makes for poor television. Not that Shaft makes this much more than an audiobook with some weird backgrounds.

Shingeki Chugakko Episode 1
CQbkWAOWwAAX-uz.png
CQbmnquXAAEgMnO.png

CQbnY1mWEAQ0JY9.png
CQboi_GW8AAqoGR.png
This is such a perfect AU and it seems written by a Jean Eren fan as all their intereaction and time. And one has to mention singing Eren and Jean in the ED. It was extremely good.

I love their roles and everything. The background premise of the titans too is good
being lunch obsessed

I also think the soundtrack is top five of the season, best songs used at the best times.

Jarmel

Banned
Owarimonogatari-1

I didn't like how this was directed. The 'empty' classrooms in the flashback hurt the mystery side of things. I think this probably worked much better in the novels than it does here.

This kinda felt lazy in that they didn't want to create character designs for the classmates.

CDiggity

Attack on Junior High 01

I think this series will succeed in making me take the characters and the franchise even less seriously.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the last episode of this show ends on them finding the basement and the basement just contains Isayama desperately trying to figure out what is in the basement then it will be justified

Manga wise? Next 3 chapters max...unless a distraction happens which isn't impossible.
lol
I want to be able to make the basement joke for the rest of my life though. :(

Owarimonogatari-1

This kinda felt lazy in that they didn't want to create character designs for the classmates.
They've always used something generic for the unimportant extras though.

Owarimonogatari 1
Maybe I'm not just in the mood for meaningless naval gazing and stale dialogue, but this was an exceedingly boring 50 minutes. As an opening in a work of prose this might work, but it makes for poor television. Not that Shaft makes this much more than an audiobook with some weird backgrounds.
This is precisely why I like the show. There's something about the rhythm of how the characters talk to each other or monologue to themselves that is just enjoyable to listen to for me.

Jarmel

Banned
They've always used something generic for the unimportant extras though.

They weren't unimportant in this case. The audience doesn't know who is possibly guilty. Not to mention having people there would have worked as a contrast to the empty room with just Arararagi and Ougi. Instead we have two rooms full of mostly dead space.

Also scenes with the classmates arguing would have worked much better with actual people instead of voiced dialogue and chairs being thrown around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They weren't unimportant in this case. The audience doesn't know who is possibly guilty. Not to mention having people there would have worked as a contrast to the empty room with just Arararagi and Ougi. Instead we have two rooms full of mostly dead space.
Well, the characters were there... they were just kanji though. lol

Also scenes with the classmates arguing would have worked much better with actual people instead of voiced dialogue and chairs being thrown around.
The episode was just a lazy adaptation that made poor use of the medium. I used the audiobook comparison earlier because it really felt like someone was just reading the novel at me.

Mailbox

the thing is, this isn't really a mystery for the character or the audience. This whole episode was made for 2 reasons.
The first was to introduce the new character
and the other being Araragi having an introspective look at himself. After all the events of second season, giving time to show Araragi understand himself makes complete sense. This episodes is about Araragi's guilt, not who did it. No one else matters in this story but Araragi, Ougi, or that new girl.

Also, I actually really enjoyed the chairs and desks flying around part. It fits perfectly with the weirdness of shaft's imagery, and it give a perfect representation of the class. Chairs and Desks are in chaos and everyone is angry. "The classroom was in chaos" in a sense.

this series has also not been one to do silhouettes or sub-sub characters in scenes. Everything has been minimalistic and purposeful and changing that now would have been both more boring and would have changed artistic consistency.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
this series has also not been one to do silhouettes or sub-sub characters in scenes. Everything has been minimalistic and purposeful and changing that now would have been both more boring and would have changed artistic consistency.
Their mise en scene is always efficient, for lack of a better word. It tells you everything you need to know in as minimalist manner as possible.

I can see why people would hate it and consider it lazy, but I'm perfectly fine with it all being on step above rough sketches and stick figures. lol

World Trigger Episode 48

Felt like a recap + hall of fame showcase of everyone...which I guess it was since the next episode is already introducing the anime original characters. The new OP song was great though it feels we get more and more animey with each one. GiriGiri still best World Trigger song.

Asterisk Wars 01

I feel like I found my guilty pleasure lol. Looks nice, with Star Wars lightsabers and a Mahouka setting, a bit generic but I'd be damned if I said I didn't enjoy myself. Also on the list. Saturdays ain't so bad after all! Now on to the golden nugget of the day... MONOGATARI!

Jarmel

Banned
the thing is, this isn't really a mystery for the character or the audience. This whole episode was made for 2 reasons.
The first was to introduce the new character
and the other being Araragi having an introspective look at himself. After all the events of second season, giving time to show Araragi understand himself makes complete sense. This episodes is about Araragi's guilt, not who did it. No one else matters in this story but Araragi, Ougi, or that new girl.

Also, I actually really enjoyed the chairs and desks flying around part. It fits perfectly with the weirdness of shaft's imagery, and it give a perfect representation of the class. Chairs and Desks are in chaos and everyone is angry. "The classroom was in chaos" in a sense.

The resolution of Arararagi's current predicament is dependent on solving the mystery. Resolving who did it is important for him even if it doesn't matter at this point as the damage has been done. The core of the episode is the mystery in of itself with Ougi facilitating the details and reviewing them.

In a mystery, not animating/visualizing things are just as important as highlighting something.

I wonder if I'll be able to enjoy OnePunch Man being animated. I mean the manga has gotten really stale for me especially with the comedy. When I first read the series it was really enjoyable but after awhile it just started becoming meh. At this point I'm only reading it because of the art. I wonder if the anime will become stale as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The resolution of Arararagi's current predicament is dependent on solving the mystery. Resolving who did it is important for him even if it doesn't matter at this point as the damage has been done. The core of the episode is the mystery in of itself with Ougi facilitating the details and reviewing them.

In a mystery, not animating/visualizing things are just as important as highlighting something.
The whole point is that it's introspective though. The room he is in doesn't even exist, after all.

I wonder if I'll be able to enjoy OnePunch Man being animated. I mean the manga has gotten really stale for me especially with the comedy. When I first read the series it was really enjoyable but after awhile it just started becoming meh. At this point I'm only reading it because of the art. I wonder if the anime will become stale as well.

I only read it for Sonic, Genos, Kid emperor and domestic moments of genos saitama and sonic.

The story was never that stellar, and its just good art and chracter designs. I dont think Ive laughed at the major stuff.

Mailbox

you missed the entire point then.

Araragi's predicament isn't that he didn't know, its that he knew subconsciously and felt completely guilty over doing nothing. His resolution isn't contingent on finding the answer but on accepting his behavior.

Even in the very beginning of the episode it talks about how Araragi acted before during and after the events unfolded and kept focus on that the entire time. Who did it isn't important, its how it affected the characters that was.

The mystery isn't the core of the episode, Araragi's guilt and internal conflict was. Ougi (as seen prior to this episode) often gives Araragi weird clues or hints in an attempt to change him in some way or to cause something, never to answer something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The mystery isn't the core of the episode, Araragi's guilt and internal conflict was. Ougi (as seen prior to this episode) often gives Araragi weird clues or hints in an attempt to change him in some way or to cause something, never to answer something.
And of course you have to consider how Ougi has interacted with the rest of the cast in the previous series. She acts as a catalyst to self-realization/actualization.

Mailbox

And of course you have to consider how Ougi has interacted with the rest of the cast in the previous series. She acts as a catalyst to self-realization/actualization.

pretty much, yeah.

Anything with her in it practically makes you have to look at things in an intra-character way instead of the base plot

UTAWARERUMONO -Itsuwari no Kamen - 1

This was pretty nice. The main duo's interactions are pretty cute.

I hope the show is mostly like this, with the duo just chilling out, hunting monsters here and there.

I think there's gonna be a bit of a problem with Attack on Titan season 2, in that the story doesn't really give the writers an easy place to stop this time.

Granted that might not matter at all to them, but the first season of AOT did end at a reasonably stopping spot I thought.

Astarte

Overlord

Well, it was enjoyable. It had a lot of...interesting things going on for it, but the berserk-movie-tier cg just had me rolling. It sure as hell liked to just do things, drop things completely, and just get incredibly ANIME. 5-6/10, when's S2

I think there's gonna be a bit of a problem with Attack on Titan season 2, in that the story doesn't really give the writers an easy place to stop this time.

Granted that might not matter at all to them, but the first season of AOT did end at a reasonably stopping spot I thought.

Make it a 12 episode season, then make season 3 in 2019.

Gonna leave this here since some of you watched God Eater, and others played the games too. God Eater Burst had one of the best OPs in gaming in my opinion. GE Ressurection is an HD remake of that first game. So what better way to pay homage to that OP than to make a remix of that track for the new OP? This track is awesome. NOW, since the anime is borrowing some elements from the game, there may be a few things here that could be considered as SPOILERS, however the story seems to be so different that I don't even know if they will be following the same plotline, or introducing other characters that were important in the game in just 4 episodes. But yeah. Give it a listen if you want, or don't. Your choice :p

ewww

i suspect an anime original ending.
I'm wrong though

AoT = $$. I put my money on there being another season if the numbers and popularity don't sudenly plummet, which could happen. If I remember correctly before I stopped reading the manga because of the anime announcement, things were REEEEALLLYYY slow.

Gbraga

Wow, Noragami Aragoto started really strong. Better than expected, it'll once again be the superior Bones show of the season, but I don't think anyone will find this an unpopular opinion this time.

Jarmel

Banned
you missed the entire point then.

Araragi's predicament isn't that he didn't know, its that he knew subconsciously and felt completely guilty over doing nothing. His resolution isn't contingent on finding the answer but on accepting his behavior.

Even in the very beginning of the episode it talks about how Araragi acted before during and after the events unfolded and kept focus on that the entire time. Who did it isn't important, its how it affected the characters that was.

The point was to force him to resolve the mystery. Yes he already knew but he was avoiding the conclusion and by Ougi working through all the details, he no longer could avoid confronting the reality of the situation. The mystery component is absolutely critical to that in that he can't handwave his feelings to how things went down. The 'mystery' is a mechanism for him to confront his own guilt and so the episode revolves around that. You can't just say it's not important when it's faux resolution is the reason Arararagi still has regret.

Who did it is absolutely important because he did know who it was, or at least could have figured out who it was.

Jarmel

Banned
The whole point is that it's introspective though. The room he is in doesn't even exist, after all.

Araragi's guilt is from the fact that if he had properly solved it, he could have possibly prevented Euler girl's meltdown. That's his regret.

He also became disillusioned by how it was handled in the end.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In the end, I wasn't entirely sure if the classroom trial "happened" in Araragi's past or if it's just allegory for their real relationship.

fertygo

Haikyuu S2 - 01

This is super fucking good, OMG everyone should watch it NOW!
I mean it, all the energy from S1.. some insane sakuga cut, and final 4 minute is HOT Faiyah. Sport show need more shit talking between competitor.

Damn what a season opener.

Young Black Jack 1

AtcGQsk.jpg

The most handsome person you'll ever see.

It was a really enjoyable and entertaining episode. I just loved how calmly and swiftly Black Jack put the kid's limbs back together efficiently. The surgery scene definitely had the tension that the original Black Jack had. I loved how the original voice actor of Black Jack was the narrator in the episode, it was nice to see the voice of Black Jack still apart of the series.

Like always Black Jack's philosophy over a Human life being worth more than any price gets me every time. About the censorship I believe it was censored because of how strict Japan is with children and gore. Hopefully they don't completely censor the Vietnam War parts.

The Ending is amazing especially seeing all the characters counterparts from the anime to the manga. This was probably my favorite episode of the season so far, it was really good. I recommend everyone to watch Young Black Jack.

Attack on Titan: Junior High
Starting School! Titan Junior High School

Ep 1 is up on funimation.com its um... not as good as the original anime series

This is the one AoT spin-off I will be passing on be it this anime or the Manga. Premise holds no interest to me and it doesn't look that funny.

Mailbox

Araragi's guilt is from the fact that if he had properly solved it, he could have possibly prevented Euler girl's meltdown. That's his regret.

His guilt wasn't that he couldn't solve it, it was that he didn't speak up.
He even said that he thought it was weird how the teacher also raised her hand. He also said how he felt overwhelmed by the classes overwhelming direction. And he even recounts how he never had anything to forget, that it was always there.

He didn't regret not knowing, he regretted never following up and being a coward.

In the end, I wasn't entirely sure if the classroom trial "happened" in Araragi's past or if it's just allegory for their real relationship.

Its both

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I don't disagree with you... but I just don't think having a fully realised room with fully drawn characters would have somehow improved the scene. If it's all introspective anyway, for me it being as abstract as pretty much every single moment of introspection in the show - like the endless tracks that Kanburu runs on in the previous arc - makes perfect sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom