• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Gundam IBO is really damn good. Really damn good and that's with virtually no fights in the last few episodes. Hopefully this is the direction they focus on moving forward. It's erased the bad feels from whatever the last gundam show was (not build fighters).

With this and Haikyuu, you're pretty much watching real Human beings that have taken animated forms. Great character drama and real human interactions. I dig it!

Also when that end music riled up at the end there, I thought akihiro was super dead.

Added to my Plan to Watch list. I will try my best, with no promises though. Christmas tends to pull me away from my screen since it's more of a time for celebration with family. I'm really hoping to check out From the New World this break as well, even if I don't get to Hyouka.

The latter can honestly wait since I feel like the longer I wait to do this re-watch (which I have been meaning to do for the past 8 or so months), the better it'll be when I finally do watch it. It'll be like wine, the taste can only improve with age aha.

No worries, that all sounds fine to me. I have a bunch of shows I need to catch up on during the break as well, haha.

But I'll definitely make room for IBO if you do the same for Build Fighters.

Gundam Build Fighters is super hype, have fun!

I like the poster and the idea of it, since I read the synopsis. Sounds like a fun watch.

Gundam IBO is really damn good. Really damn good and that's with virtually no fights in the last few episodes. Hopefully this is the direction they focus on moving forward. It's erased the bad feels from whatever the last gundam show was (not build fighters).

With this and Haikyuu, you're pretty much watching real Human beings that have taken animated forms. Great character drama and real human interactions. I dig it!

I think you nailed it with the part I bolded.

No worries, that all sounds fine to me. I have a bunch of shows I need to catch up on during the break as well, haha.

But I'll definitely make room for IBO if you do the same for Build Fighters.

Yeah I'm down, it's a deal aha! I put it on my queue, so even if I forget since it's in the middle of my list, it'll be right there when the break comes.

TraBuch

Banned
Just signed up for a trial on Hulu, are these shows worth checking out?

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Gate
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
World Trigger
Accel World

Could go on but I'll stop there. Sorry for the lengthy list. Also, quick question, are the Gundam shows all their own thing? Or would I need to watch them in order?

Patison

Gintama

Episodic anime and TV series bore me to tears, but 23 episodes in and I love Gintama. Previously I thought that good show has to have gripping story, cliffhangers and twists, but now...I'm not sure who I am anymore.

pbayne

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Blook Blockade Battlefront
Gate
World Trigger
Adel World

Could go on but I'll stop there. Sorry for the lengthy list. Also, quick question, are the Gundam shows all their own thing? Or would I need to watch them in order?

High-lighted the best but a lot of them are just decent shows. Not many stand-outs.

Um gundam has a lot of different timeline/spin-offs. look up "universal century" and watch those first.

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Gate
World Trigger
Adel World

Out of those I think your best bet would be Blood Blockade Battlefront and Rage of Bahamut.

Depends on the Gundam series. The current series (Iron Blooded Orphans) has no connection to the others. The "main" series is Universal Century (usually refered to as UC) and that covers the original series, Zeta, ZZ and more. There are a bunch of different universes - SEED, 00, G Gundam, AGE all are in different "centuries" which is like a seperate canon,

Gintama

Episodic anime and TV series bore me to tears, but 23 episodes in and I love Gintama. Previously I thought that good show has to have gripping story, cliffhangers and twists, but now...I'm not sure who I am anymore.

It only gets better

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Gate
World Trigger
Adel World

Would say that Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is the only thing that should merit your attention out of this.

Tokyo Ghoul and Blood Blockade if you really need pick something more from this list.

Squishy3

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Gate
World Trigger
Adel World

Watch Ping Pong. Gonna second Blood Blockade Battlefront too.

TraBuch

Banned
Would say that Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is the only thing that should merit your attention out of this.

Tokyo Ghoul and Blood Blockade if you really need pick something more from this list.
I don't need to. Was just checking out what was on there and randomly picked ones that I haven't seen and sounded interesting. Guess I'll check out Rage of Bahamut since that one is unanimous so far.

Puruzi

Banned

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Gate
World Trigger
Accel World

NGNL and Accel World

Tokyo Ghoul
Gangsta
God Eater
Guilty Crown
Parasite
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Blood Lad
Tokyo ESP
Gate
World Trigger
Adel World

Guilty Crown is a must watch, start that tonight! Right now.

I would also watch Bakuman, God Eater, Gundam Reconguista, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Haikyuu, K, Tokyo Ravens, Durarara, The Irregular At Magic High School, and BLast of Tempest

World Trigger is great, and Rampo Kitan.

I don't need to. Was just checking out what was on there and randomly picked ones that I haven't seen and sounded interesting. Guess I'll check out Rage of Bahamut since that one is unanimous so far.

fwiw theres way better stuff on Hulu but Rage of Bahamut is a fine show anyway

TraBuch

Banned
Rather than just making a bunch of lists and asking people to pick, would someone mind recommending stuff from the last few years that's on Hulu?

I like:
Steins;Gate
Welcome to the NHK
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The Tatami Galaxy
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
Yu Yu Hakusho
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
The World Only God Knows
Cromartie High School
School Rumble
Astro Fighter Sunred
My Love Story
One Punch Man
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Log Horizon
Samurai Champloo
Nichijou
Gintama
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Bunch of other stuff from before 2012

Didn't like:
Toradora
Attack on Titan
Sword Art Online
Clannad
High School DxD
Prison School
Seikon no Qwaser

I know there's a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting.

I know there's a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting.

Ok, seems like you are already pretty well versed

I would recommend -

Ping Pong. Watch that before anything else, same director as Tatami Galaxy.
Mononoke
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Space Adventure Cobra
Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei

Granted I haven't seen every show I listed but those shows are pretty well liked.

Bakemonogatari has a ton of sequels but I don't think any are on Hulu.

TraBuch

Banned
Ok, seems like you are already pretty well versed

I would recommend -

Ping Pong. Watch that before anything else, same director as Tatami Galaxy.
Mononoke
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Space Adventure Cobra
Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei

Granted I haven't seen every show I listed but those shows are pretty well liked.

Bakemonogatari has a ton of sequels but I don't think any are on Hulu.
Yeah, I was a pretty avid watcher but I stopped a few years ago which is why I'm asking for suggestions since around 2012.

And I started watching Ping Pong and just from the beginning, I can already tell I'm gonna like this.

ibyea

Banned
Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Wow, I expected something actiony but instead got something different. The main conflict is not even the whole special forces versus the terrorist thing that the movie tells you about right at the beginning, and it is more about the inner conflict of the protagonist Fuse and the whole whether he is a human or just a killing machine. It is a little slow at times but it is worth it to make it to the end because the conclusion definitely sticks with you after the end.

Holy fuck I just found out Ni no Kuni sequel was just announced. Joe Hisaishi is coming back to do the OST as well.

It's a great time to be alive.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.10
I feel like that was 20 mins of my life I'll never get back now. Nothing really happened until the last 30 seconds. Well, those hand drawn pics wold have made DTL happy at least.

Holy fuck I just found out Ni no Kuni sequel was just announced. Joe Hisaishi is coming back to do the OST as well.

It's a great time to be alive.

Sooo many good jrpgs next year! I need more time and money assp.

Utawarerumono ep.10
I feel like that was 20 mins of my life I'll never get back now. Nothing really happened until the last 30 seconds. Well, those hand drawn pics wold have made DTL happy at least.

I felt exactly like that yesterday with Asterisk. I'm out of the race btw. No more Asterisk vs Cavalry for me. I dropped Asterisk.

Cavalry is the definitive better show. I can't stand any more head pattings from almighty based god Ayato.

Cornbread78

I felt exactly like that yesterday with Asterisk. I'm out of the race btw. No more Asterisk vs Cavalry for me. I dropped Asterisk.

Cavalry is the definitive better show. I can't stand any more head pattings from almighty based god Ayato.

Yeah, that loli crew is treading thin ice for me as well; Calvary has won in a route.

Utena 17

ugYnk0d.jpg

hot

Forgiving the person who NTR'd you is hard, especially if you were actually in love with them the whole time instead of the person they stole. That's romantic.

I've noticed the shadow "Kashira, Kashira" girls are doing their shtick next to Utena now and she is commenting on it. Weird.

Next episode of Utena is about Nanami's fuckboi squad, does that count as a Nanami episode?

S2 please. I need it.

I'm 100% sure it's going to happen 2016.

Cornbread78

Emma a Victorian Romance S2 ep.1-3
Well, looked like Emma was moving on until she met
William's mom
in her new city. It looks like she will have a new love interest also with the dude in the mansion that is interested in her. Looks like William's attitude towards high society comes earnestly for him as well, but that ending with William
accepting Elenor's love.. man, he is going to destroy her, lol.

Yeah, that loli crew is treading thin ice for me as well; Calvary has won in a route.

Yeah I can only tolerate so much of that kind of shit. It's cheesy and annoying, specially if you keep doing it every goddamn episode. It's as if the girls were pets to him or something lol.

If you cant stand head pattings, there is always DiaLover to watch.

Oh god, that show.

One Punch Man 10

"Someone farted"
got me good lol. Saitama will punch them back to orbit, I'm sure of it.

javac

I noticed that your Sentai Selects label have also included license rescues like Angelic Layer (which was previously with ADV). Have you considered acquiring other 'out of print' titles like Azumanga Daioh and City Hunter?
Angelic Layer was a pretty good pick up wasn't it? Yes, we have definitely considered older classic titles that may need rescuing. As for naming any in particular, you'll just have to wait and see. ;)

What are the chances of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes coming out this spring?
Setting a solid release date for LOGH is a little hard right now, even if we're talking quarters, like Spring, Fall, etc. Our amazing production team is working their butts off to get the project finished, but as you know, Legends is quite a hefty show. We're talking more than 100 episodes, so a solid date announcement at this moment would be tough to do. Thanks!

Any hope for older Sentai titles for receive CE's such as: CLANNAD, CLANNAD After Story, Angel Beats!, Little Busters!, Little Busters! Refrain, Ef A Tale of Memories & Melodies, Another, Infinite Stratos, or K-On?
That depends on a number of things, although a lot of people have recently been requesting CEs of older titles. This gives us more reason to go and take a second look at these series to see what all we can do with them. So in answer to your questions: there's always hope.

with the release of the complete collection of From the New World coming in February, does that pretty much eliminate the chance of a CE release?
It eliminates the chance of a CE any time soon, but not entirely. It may be a while be fore we revisit the title, but this certainly does not close the book on us doing anything else with the series. Whether or not something materializes in the future is another matter. Thanks!

http://ask.fm/SentaiFilmworks

Clov

Ah yes, another Ask Sentai where they've carefully dodged my questions about the director's cut of the final Gatchaman Crowds episode. When I say carefully dodged, naturally I mean ignored entirely, but one day I'll bug them enough to get an answer. Or maybe my efforts alone will somehow convince them there's a big enough audience for them to release it in some form. Maybe a collectors edition with both seasons plus the director's cut? Ah, it's nice to dream...

They actually have answered a few of my other Gatcha related questions (and a few unrelated ones) before. At least I know that they can see everything I'm sending them!

I'd love to see them rescue Azumanga though. I wonder how well the show could look upscaled? Not that they'd do a BD of it, since it's only on DVD in Japan.

Ah yes, another Ask Sentai where they've carefully dodged my questions about the director's cut of the final Gatchaman Crowds episode. When I say carefully dodged, naturally I mean ignored entirely, but one day I'll bug them enough to get an answer. Or maybe my efforts alone will somehow convince them there's a big enough audience for them to release it in some form. Maybe a collectors edition with both seasons plus the director's cut? Ah, it's nice to dream...

They actually have answered a few of my other Gatcha related questions (and a few unrelated ones) before. At least I know that they can see everything I'm sending them!

I'd love to see them rescue Azumanga though. I wonder how well the show could look upscaled? Not that they'd do a BD of it, since it's only on DVD in Japan.

Why is it always their fault when it could be the powers in JPN may not be letting them put it out at this point in time, or has other requirements.

Clov

Why is it always their fault when it could be the powers in JPN may not be letting them put it out at this point in time, or has other requirements.

Very possible! Maybe for some reason that episode isn't available for international distribution. I don't even think it's on Crunchyroll, so maybe this is the case. Your other suggestion is also possible; given that the episode was released with the Gatchaman Crowds BD-Box, maybe they'll only allow it to be released as part of a similar package (a collector's edition, maybe).

The one thing I have heard is that the international license holder of the director's cut ending is different than the one for the TV episodes (which I believe is NTV). It may be a case of Sentai wanting to negotiate rights with one party, but not two, in order to simplify the licensing process. Though that's just speculation on my part.

What I do know for certain is that the series literally has no proper conclusion without that episode, and it wouldn't feel right as a huge fan of the series if I bought Sentai's incomplete BD release. Maybe years and years down the line, I'll have given up hope entirely, and I'll buy the BD if I find it for cheap. For now I'll hold on to the small hope that in the future, the episode will be properly released here in some way, whether it be with the Insight BD, or as part of a bigger collectors edition. Sentai does seem to be very fond of those lately, and Crowds isn't the only Gatchaman property they've brought over. It's dim, but not entirely hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom