• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
yC4RVZi.png

Cornbread78

Euphonium ep.1-3
Well, the color and animation sure are pretty, but Yumiko is right, they suck, like bad.. The relationships between everyone are just started to grow a little bit, but it should be interesting to see where they go from here.

Euphonium ep.1-3
Well, the color and animation sure are pretty, but Yumiko is right, they suck, like bad.. The relationships between everyone are just started to grow a little bit, but it should be interesting to see where they go from here.

So you are watching this uh. Gonna be interesting to read some of your thoughts on the show. It's sure gonna rile some of the folks up on here. It's gonna be like in the Summer all over again ahahaha.

Also yeah Attack on Titan was pretty good, but we've had plenty of good shows since then.

sonicmj1

The manga is one of my favorite written works of all time. The anime is... a must if you can't read anything but subtitles. :l

The anime is staggeringly brilliant.

I have not. In fact, I haven't come across M3 and HeroBank at all.

There's a good reason for that: they're unremarkable shows.

You should check out Space Battleship Yamato 2199 or Rage of Bahamut if you haven't already.

Narag

I've already done the Mamo part (Good flim) But are there any specials released by Discotek that is worth a watch.

At a glance, not really but I haven't seen Red vs Green. The Dezaki specails can be fun if you're a Dezaki fan, I suppose. Mature might be able to give some insight in the Conan crossover stuff. The Koike Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone will be a mustbuy whenever they get that out at least.

Haven't seen Mamo, but you can't skip Cagliostro when bringing up Lupin. Seriously, it's an amazing film.

I figured if he was after the specials, he'd already seen Cagliostro at the very least and wanted to scratch the Lupin itch it gave him!

Cornbread78

So you are watching this uh. Gonna be interesting to read some of your thoughts on the show. It's sure gonna rile some of the folks up on here. It's gonna be like in the Summer all over again ahahaha.
Also yeah Attack on Titan was pretty good, but we've had plenty of good shows since then.

Yeah, I promised I'd watch it before AOTY voting starts. I'm going to hate the AOTY selection either way, lol.. So far, it's just OK, but I know it's all setup right now.

tl;dr: I think the anime is an artistic and cinematic experience that is heads above most other anime, but the manga tells a story with such finesse and dark progression that it's unfathomable for me to imagine people not experiencing that telling of the story first. I am completely and unabashedly lacking objectivity when it comes to this particular series and will argue this point well past the end of time if you let me. xD

The rotoscoping just makes the characters so uninteresting compared to the manga. For scenes with a lot of moving parts, it's brilliant, but the dialogue is just a bit off and at a distance the characters become comical marionettes. Watching characters run and action shots like that is a unique treat in Aku No Hana, but since the majority of important scenes are dialogue based it doesn't really matter as much as it would in something else.

Also due to the nature of rotoscoping, the characters look a lot more like their actors than the caricatures they are in the anime. In the manga, Takao is so scrawny and submissive that him getting overpowered by a girl isn't all that unbelievable. Sawa looks like she's a bad cosplay of.. well.. Sawa. Nanako's actor, while holding much of the sex appeal of her character, lacks the youth and innocence of Nanako - who is a symbol of innocence within the story.

This is awful since Nagahama's cinematography and beautiful settings are some of the best in the genre. To fill these worlds up with disgustingly bad character art is a disservice of the worst kind (interestingly enough, it's the all-around beauty of the series that bring out the terrible character designs so much). Even worse (or better, I suppose), the anime follows the pacing of the manga perfectly. Every frame is represented, every plot point expressed, every instance is captured and it's such a god damn shame to see something so perfect marred by a single simple element.

I'm not saying it's garbage, mind you, I'm saying I wouldn't put it in my top ten. It might even be in my top twenty, but as someone who followed the manga from day 1 and would, honestly, consider it to be one of the best written works I've ever read (beating out things from Dickens, Marquez, Kundera, Hemingway, Murakami... you get the picture), the show is a disappointment. If anything, consider that an indicator of how high in regard I hold the manga and not that I think the show is terrible.

Edit: This is me trying to be concise. I've read an absurd amount of books and am in my 3rd year double majoring in between Programming and Literature. Literature only being a thing I'm doing because I want to be able to understand written works even better. I've invested huge amounts of time into it not for any sake of my future, but simply because it's what I love. I'm not saying this to brag or even because I like talking about it any way, shape, or form (honestly, talking about my own life just makes me uncomfortable) but to show just how highly I regard the series.

Clov

At a glance, not really but I haven't seen Red vs Green. The Dezaki specails can be fun if you're a Dezaki fan, I suppose. Mature might be able to give some insight in the Conan crossover stuff. The Koike Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone will be a mustbuy whenever they get that out at least.

I figured if he was after the specials, he'd already seen Cagliostro at the very least and wanted to scratch the Lupin itch it gave him!

True! Really looking forward to their BD of Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone myself. It's a good little film.

Out of Dezaki's Lupin work, I've only seen Bye-Bye Liberty Crisis. I thought it was alright, nothing too special. I watched it since I was on a bit of a Dezaki binge at the time. I'm glad I watched it, even if I wasn't a big fan of it; seeing it helped me get a better overview of his work.

Narag

True! Really looking forward to their BD of Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone myself. It's a good little film.

Out of Dezaki's Lupin work, I've only seen Bye-Bye Liberty Crisis. I thought it was alright, nothing too special. I watched it since I was on a bit of a Dezaki binge at the time. I'm glad I watched it, even if I wasn't a big fan of it; seeing it helped me get a better overview of his work.

I think I've missing one more of his specials. Napoleon's dictionary had some really strange production issues iirc which makes it ... special. From Russia with Love is Dezaki to the max though and really sort of laid back which surprised me. Would still recommend for Dezaki fans than Lupin fans though.

javac

I love the rotoscoping. It just makes the series a lot more unnerving, and although there's a loss of detail its not like detail is a huge point of anime characters when half of them don't even have a nose these days so that never distracted me when the characters were in the distance. I found the characters to just look a lot more varied and realistic, and as I've said elsewhere, imagination is an element that makes animation so unique so I don't expect or want everything to mimic reality but for a show like this is does it wonders in enhancing the already razor sharp atmosphere. The way that the characters move, just everything just blows me away. I'd say that Aku no Hana is one of my favorite looking shows along with Ping Pong.

Narag

I love the rotoscoping. It just makes the series a lot more unnerving, and although there's a loss of detail its not like detail is a huge point of anime characters when half of them don't even have a nose these days. I found the characters to just look a lot more varied and realistic, and as I've said elsewhere, imagination is an element that makes animation so unique so I don't expect or want everything to mimic reality but for a show like this is does it wonders in enhancing the already razor sharp atmosphere. The way that the characters move, just everything just blows me away. I'd say that Aku no Hana is one of my favorite looking shows along with Ping Pong.

This is so important to the show as body language is everything.

sonicmj1

The rotoscoping just makes the characters so uninteresting compared to the manga. For scenes with a lot of moving parts, it's brilliant, but the dialogue is just a bit off and at a distance the characters become comical marionettes. Watching characters run and action shots like that is a unique treat in Aku No Hana, but since the majority of important scenes are dialogue based it doesn't really matter as much as it would in something else.

I'd agree with you that the actors aren't necessarily great matches for how their characters work. But I completely disagree on this point here. I think the biggest benefit of rotoscoping comes in the dialogue scenes, because it allows the actors to convey the sort of subtle character acting that tends to be lacking in most anime. Because the quality of the performances is so much higher, the conversations come across much more powerfully than they otherwise might.

I couldn't imagine a sequence like what takes place in episode 10 (a scene that's not particularly dynamic) working as well if they'd gone with pure animation.

javac

This is so important to the show as body language is everything.

Yeah, the nervous shuffles and twitches just increase the awkwardness that the viewer feels tenfold ,the way that Nanako brushes her hair and smiles really sells her innocence and blissfulness to what he's done, the way Nakamura gets in his face to such a degree that you can feel her breathing down your neck adds to her creepiness but at the same time her more gentle looks make you unsure of what she's thinking. The little nuanced movements add a whole new dimension to the series.

Clov

I think I've missing one more of his specials. Napoleon's dictionary had some really strange production issues iirc which makes it ... special. From Russia with Love is Dezaki to the max though and really sort of laid back which surprised me. Would still recommend for Dezaki fans than Lupin fans though.

This looks right up my alley! I'll definitely be giving this one a watch when I'm more free.

As for Flowers of Evil, the rotoscoping works perfectly with the atmosphere of the show. It looks offputting, and very strange; but this just puts you a bit more on edge and helps build that atmosphere of dread that the series is so great at doing. Brilliant show, and I'm looking forward to whatever Nagahama's doing next.

I'd agree with you that the actors aren't necessarily great matches for how their characters work. But I completely disagree on this point here. I think the biggest benefit of rotoscoping comes in the dialogue scenes, because it allows the actors to convey the sort of subtle character acting that tends to be lacking in most anime. Because the quality of the performances is so much higher, the conversations come across much more powerfully than they otherwise might.

I couldn't imagine a sequence like what takes place in episode 10 (a scene that's not particularly dynamic) working as well if they'd gone with pure animation.

I don't mean to say that everything about the faces are poor. The shifting eyes, subtle details of the body and face -- that is excellent. But the lip sync itself is off throughout the whole series. The relationship between the beautifully rendered lips of each character and the sounds that come out of said lips is just... off. Maybe that was an issue of the original televised release and it's a non-issue in newer releases, if that's the case than my evaluation of the series is probably a lot further from the mark that I think and I'll have to revisit it again (and if that particular issue is gone, I'll be glad to do it).

Edit: It is interesting that the general opinion of the anime is high on here. For a lot of people, the rotoscoping alone turned them away simply because it was new. The show ended up being one of the most polarized releases that I can remember. I'm glad that it didn't turn away as many people as I thought it would - I would rather people watched the anime rather than never get to see the story at all.

Shergal

I haven't read the AnH manga (I have seen the art though and I don't think it's anything special), but in terms of adapting it into animation, the rotoscoped product is leaps and bounds beyond what the same director/studio/resources would've been able to accomplish with traditional animation. It gives the characters, well, character.

I beg to differ, M3 is remarkably bad.

I thought it was alright, after the admittedly slow start. An interesting take on the "understanding" theme, backed up by decent character growth and development. Not really something I would recommend if someone wanted something good to watch, but certainly better than other mecha shows that aired around it.

Sterok

Aikatsu 162

Nice to see Madoka is still a dick. The comedy world sure is harsh. Last episode was about Nina practicing self-harm, and now she can't make anyone laugh how she wants to. Thankfully she managed to bully a kindergartner into liking her stuff. Too bad she's going to disappear into the void Miyabi and Kokone fell into. I liked her a lot.

I feel like when people seriously say Attack on Titan is a bad, then it's the only anime they've ever seen.

I know that sounds like an asshole assumption, but it's my immediate reaction.

I don't think they know what bad anime looks like, if they think AOT is bad. AOT has problems to be sure, but it's not Irregular at Magic High School, Pupa, or Recently, My Sister is Unusual.

Things that I genuinely don't think anyone can enjoy.

Puruzi

Banned
I feel like when people seriously say Attack on Titan is a bad, then it's the only anime they've ever seen.

I don't think they know what bad anime looks like, if they think AOT is bad. AOT has problems to be sure, but it's not Irregular at Magic High School, Pupa, or Recently, My Sister is Unusual.

what

This is the same kind of logic people use in "Whats the worst game you've ever played" threads when someone says The Order 1886 and people say "Wtf???? why dont you play more shitty games"

Oddly enough, that's how I feel when anyone implies it's good.

lol

Attack on Titan is bad, and worse than several of the shows you mention in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom