• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Boy, next season sure is looking like a season of anime...

Oh well, Assassination Classroom is returning, and romance fans will probably be happy with the second season of Akagami no Shirayukihime.

I'm also interested in seeing Dimension W.

There's at least 7 shows I'd be willing to watch the first couple of episodes for so not that bad. Still dissapointed that Polygon is doing Ajin but what can you do, Madhouse can't adapt all the things I want I suppose. :p

Started watching Gatchaman Crowds on a whim and it's really interesting so far and not at all what I expected coming from my limited knowledge of Gatchaman. I don't want to jump on Hajime for being annoying after only two episodes but she sure is something. I like how colourful the show is and the CG suits are pretty cool.

Sölf

What's looking good then? :p

Aside from the obvious continuations, I would say Ajin, Sekkou Boys and Boku Dake ga Inai Machi are all at least interesting enough to warrant the 3 episode-rule. Schwarzesmarken is a MuvLuv anime, right? I haven't read anything from the novels so far, but MuvLuv is also considered to be pretty good, right? So there is another one.

phaze

Revolutionary Girl Nanami 27
nan142ksp.jpg
nan2jakq3.jpg
nan4dijcv.jpg
nan3z9kty.jpg

Why are Nanami episodes so very best ?

Cornbread78

The only thing Rakudai has for me are the fights right now. I'm actually disliking the characters more and more aside from Ikki. Shizuku was a little better this episode but she's straight up way more annoying and creepy than Kirin and Saya are to me. The focus those two have gotten in the weird otaku pandering way is really annoying but at the very least both are worthwhile outside of it, Kirin in fights and Saya for comedy. Shizuku isn't even worth that now that her episode is done.

There are people that actually like it, you know. lol Getting their head patted, I mean.

I've always found it strange how people react to that. It's like stroking the hair of someone you like/involved with/whatever doesn't exist at all or something.

Let's be honest, both exist solely to pander to the otaku crowd, lol. The battles are the best part of both shows. Outside if Shizuku, Calvary has been a much better watch so far.

Sölf;188250443 said:
Aside from the obvious continuations, I would say Ajin, Sekkou Boys and Boku Dake ga Inai Machi are all at least interesting enough to warrant the 3 episode-rule. Schwarzesmarken is a MuvLuv anime, right? I haven't read anything from the novels so far, but MuvLuv is also considered to be pretty good, right? So there is another one.

Eh... Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is a maybe. Depends on what other people think of it. Sekkou Boys is one of the short shows. No interest in Ajin or Schwarzesmarken :p

At a glance, the stuff I wanna check out is:

- Boku Dake ga Inai
- Dimension W
- GATE part 2
- Shirayuki part 2
- Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
- Haruchika
- Phantom World

Fall leftovers:

- Haikyuu! S2
- Gundam IBO
- Utawarerumono

So yeah I'm good LOL.

Yeah that's the problem with a show that has almost nothing else going for it outside of the action. Whenever they ain't fighting it's just not as fun.

I watched the first 19 episodes in a few sessions before I caught up while it was airing. The episodes after that were all pretty fun with good cliffhangers so I never really had the struggle of having to wait a bunch of weeks before Eren finally moved the boulder.

I kinda expect the second season to be a lot worse as we seem to be getting more talking and less fighting with that.

I think AoT has lots to offer even outside the action sequences because the world building is just really well done and consistent so far. For instance, I just like stuff like the details of the survey corps riding formation in the second half. Life and politics inside those walls is interesting to me, too.

However, it sucks when they try to hype up even the more mundane sequences and these are also way too long. The latter is probably part production issues and the need to fill out the material some more to fill the 25 episodes.

With the success the anime (and manga) had I would hope production gets more resources the next time around and they waited for the manga to progress, so hopefully there's enough content. I guess hoping they'd tone down the edginess is a fruitless endeavor though -_-

AoT can also quickly fall apart for me. Again, up to know I'm really loving the world building and the story appears to be well thought through. The longer running a show is, though, the more likely it is for all that to fall apart because it gets more and more complex and the author likely didn't think think that far ahead other than maybe some rough outlines.

I'll have to admit that I'm only basing this on looking at the seasonal chart and reading the description.

Could you elaborate on what I should expect of it?

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a manga set in Showa era Japan (specifically, I believe it's set in the 1950s), which focuses on the lives of people associated with rakugo. Rakugo is a traditional Japanese form of comic storytelling, in which a solo performer sits on stage and, with just limited movement and his voice, acts out a narrative. The anime adaptation is being handled by Mamoru Hatakeyama (a pen name for Shinichi Omata, formerly employed at Shaft), one of the most talented directors working in anime today and a special favorite of mine. The first arc of the manga was released as manga-bundled OADs, the first of which I've seen and enjoyed, and that material will be repackaged as part of the TV series. It's a rare case of anime treating a serious, adult story, and anyone who appreciates that and appreciates good, grounded character drama should find something to enjoy here. You can watch a trailer here.

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 36 – Back After Summer

#TeamYakushi #TeamRaichi Come on and win this, send Ichidai home crying please.

laughed so much when Raichi sent that fast ball flying to the display board, brutal

Generally, with stuff that has iterations/season/different series, it changes because of the popularity. It usually just becomes a lot more derivative without a lot of effort and car put into making it feel original. i haven't watched many of the episodes of the newer series but the ones I did just felt like it wasn't fresh at all.

That much is fair. It's something that has been bothering me with a lot of characters. Plus various flaws depending on the season.

I mean in a sense, Smile was derivative of Yes! 5.

I think though, as much as I've seen it, I think Saban might make it feel fresh and potentially change character personalities and even plotlines (not like there's a major plot line here) for their dub.

.....Actually then again, a lot of it was already really silly (which then feels at odds at its more serious moments).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
More Atusko Ishizuka. Maybe she'll have some decent material to work with for once. Same for Shinichi Omata. Return of Shirayuki-hime. Two shows by Keiichiro Kawaguchi...maybe Galko-chan will save him for once. Kouichi Chigira's debut(?) as a director at Dogakobo. Usagi Drop Dimension Dreams W 3hz/Orange. New Kyoani stuff. Maybe I will finally understand what Sekko Boys is.

Lots of interesting projects. Looks much better than last winter.

TraBuch

Banned
Rather than just making a bunch of lists and asking people to pick, would someone mind recommending stuff from the last few years that's on Hulu?

I like:
Steins;Gate
Welcome to the NHK
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
The Tatami Galaxy
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Bakemonogatari
Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
Yu Yu Hakusho
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
The World Only God Knows
Cromartie High School
School Rumble
Astro Fighter Sunred
My Love Story
One Punch Man
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Log Horizon
Samurai Champloo
Nichijou
Gintama
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Bunch of other stuff from before 2012

Didn't like:
Toradora
Attack on Titan
Sword Art Online
Clannad
High School DxD
Prison School
Seikon no Qwaser

I know there's a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting.

Gonna bump this just once for a few more suggestions. Ended up binge watching Ping Pong and really dug it. So thanks for that recommendation.

Sölf

Gonna bump this just once for a few more suggestions. Ended up binge watching Ping Pong and really dug it. So thanks for that recommendation.

Have you tried Space Dandy? It's pretty unique. The overall tone is definitly comedy, but each episode was directed by someone else and has a different theme. The quality (or more specifically: the enjoyment) does vary quite a bit from episode to episode, but overall it's definitly a must see. The first 2-3 episodes are not that great, but after that some of the more unique stuff happens (Zombie Episode, Road Trip Episode, Robot Love etc).

Also: Samurai Flamenco. Give it a shot, but it's probably like 50/50 if you love or hate it.

Edit: Whoops, on Hulu. Erm. ...watch them if they are there! xD

DiGiKerot

I'm not in 'murika or at a computer where I can double-check what's on Hulu, but if you've liked a bunch of the other Shaft-produced comedies and haven't already seen it, I'm pretty sure And Yet The Town Moves is on there and is pretty-darn top-tier.

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah, Hulu's not a necessity. Only said that since I signed up for a free trial and I was curious about stuff on there.

And I've seen Space Dandy, it's on my like list.

phaze

Mawaru Penguindrum - It's a great show. And since you're okay with some things churned out by Shaft, you should be fairly okay with its various quirks too.
Fate/Zero - same writer as Madoka.
Shigurui - slow, creepy, extremely bloody and disturbing samurai drama. Bit of a stretch to reccomend to it given your list but it's the same director as in Steins;Gate and it has Japanese people swinging swords like in Champloo ! Be warned that it covers only part of the manga. For definitive ending you will need to go there.
Mononoke - ... I've got nothing ... It's a series a two or three episode long, standalone, arcs where the main protagonist investigates the reasons behind the existence of the titular Mononoke which are pretty much various supernatural demons/monsters. Unique artstyle and direction.

I'm not in 'murika or at a computer where I can double-check what's on Hulu, but if you've liked a bunch of the other Shaft-produced comedies and haven't already seen it, I'm pretty sure And Yet The Town Moves is on there and is pretty-darn top-tier.

It's there. +1 for the rec.

Yeah, Hulu's not a necessity. Only said that since I signed up for a free trial and I was curious about stuff on there.

Oh ? Then additionally: Katanagatari (Bakemonogatari x Champloo), Kyousougiga (bit like FLCL), Love Lab (very well animated comedy), maybe Birdy the Mighty Decode +Yozakura Quartet if you want more of good action in the vein of OPM.

Puruzi

Banned
Oh ? Then additionally: Katanagatari (Bakemonogatari x Champloo), Kyousougiga (bit like FLCL), Love Lab (very well animated comedy), maybe Birdy the Mighty Decode +Yozakura Quartet if you want more of good action in the vein of OPM.

All of these are very good, excluding love lab because I've never watched it, dunno if it's funny

pbayne

Based off the stuff you like maybe try

Jormungand-Very similar to black lagoon
Hajime no Ippo-GOAT sports show
Great teacher Onizuka-Classic comedy
Azumanga Diaoh-Kind of a less dialed down version of Nichijou
Baccano-Just watch it
Say i love you-Similar to my love story. Really cute/awkward couple get together early and you watch them actually dating.

Szadek

Finished Nisemonogatari
Didn't like it quite as much as Bake,because it spents a lot more time on the characters without really going anywhere.
Not that it was ever boring, but a bit less focus on the characters and a bit more focus on the story would have been nice.
We don't really need to talk about the visuals , the series still looks amazing.

I will probably move on the SS soon enough.

javac

Andrew, the head of Anime Limited made some comments on a forum:

In regards to releasing Animator Expo shorts on Blu-ray:
Re Animator Expo - we remain dedicated to trying to do it though but that is hard until Japan gets a video release too . Hell or high water here...
-----
Oh by the by - more announcements to come this season of sales. One of which I signed while here in Japan last week .

Anime Limited recently announced that they've acquired Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond (Link) and plan to release it on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK which lead to a poster asking about a possible acquisition of Mind Game:
Wellll one thing at a time . Huge fan of Mindgame too...P

phaze

All of these are very good, excluding love lab because I've never watched it, dunno if it's funny

Humour is subjective and all but I dare say you would enjoy it. It has cute girls being cute in spades !

Revolutionary Girl Utena 29-30
ut3emra7.jpg
ut111qut.jpg
ut2mgpbw.jpg

lol at
stalker Himemiya
Utena's obliviousness knows no bounds huh ?

Not sure if this is the end of Jury's recurring plot thread but that twist at the end probably made it my favourite storyline so far.

I adore the second ED.

I don't understand people hate of Charlotte. I watched it and found it quite enjoyable! A little rushed? yes maybe but still enjoyable. It's my typical 7/10 good show.

Shouta

Let's be honest, both exist solely to pander to the otaku crowd, lol. The battles are the best part of both shows. Outside if Shizuku, Calvary has been a much better watch so far.

Well, of course. It's otaku pandering, lol.

But I feel like Asterisk is actually doing something with the chars while Rakudai is just spinning its wheels. We haven't gotten anything to build up its characters meaningfully at all recently. A bit of Shizuku and there was Ayase but Ayase isn't even in the most recent episode, lol. Otherwise it's dumb stuff and Stella being tsundere and lewd. Where with Asterisk we got a whole episode of Kirin and Saya getting to know each other better to improve their teamwork, setting up future conflicts between characters, introducing new rivals, etc.

To put it another way, Rakudai is easy to watch but it's really not interesting at all. Asterisk's last few episodes have been a little rough because of Saya and Kirin (mostly Kirin) but it still remains interesting. Asterisk could very well not have any real payoff by the time the 2nd Season ends but at least I can look forward to something, lol.

Winter 2016 looks pretty dire but there's still some things to check out.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - Seems like the only sure bet as hosannainexcelsis has nicely summed up.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi - I'm not familiar with the source material but premise and chara designs seem interesting enough.

Active Raid - Original show by Goro Taniguchi of Code Geass fame so it might be entertaining? Also sounds a little bit like Patlabor.

Dimension W - Sci-fi setting and the PVs seemed decent. Though to be honest I'm mostly interested due to Funimations involvement and to see if they get burned on this.

Bubuki Buranki - Studio Sanzigens 10th anniversary project so I expect to see their A-game in terms of CG animation. Other than that it seems very unremarkable though.

Musaigen no Phantom World - Sounds like typical LN shlock and normally I wouldn't get near this if it wasn't for KyoAni. Maybe it'll surprise.

Also super hyped for Kizumonogatari but I doubt I'll get to see it until way after winter season.

Cornbread78

I dare you to name 10 ... no ... even 5 shows you didn't enjoy.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Well, a couple I didn't really care for:

Diabolik Lovers
Akasaka, The Hill Dyed Rose Madder
Akikan!
Bryhildr
Dragon Crisis
Walkure Romanze
Shuffle!
School Days
Yosuga no Sora
A Dark Rabbit has 7 lives.

I just started watching anime a year ago so I'very already managed to filter through years of garbage.

Either way, back to work, waaaay to busy to keep posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom