• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

He also hasn't written the entirety of anything since Madoka either, except for Expelled from Paradise.

He wrote almost all of Kamen Rider Gaim (44 episodes out of 47), except for a few episodes that were tie-ins for movies and the final epilogue episode which was also half a tie-in with a previous film. He's also writing or has finished writing an entire one cour show, but it's unannounced and probably not another season of Madoka.

Expelled From Paradise was actually written before Madoka was finished being written. It was just in production hell for years because Toei didn't have the technology or staff to produce it for a while.

He also hasn't written the entirety of anything since Madoka either, except for Expelled from Paradise.

He wrote all but one episode of Psychopass S1, as well the Psychopass movie.

Of course, I don't think Madoka is that good, so it's not like I have any high opinion of Urobuchi to begin with. I certainly wouldn't classify him as one of the rare anime writers whose involvement in a project increases my interest, such as Keiko Nobumoto or Reiko Yoshida. But one of these days I'll watch Kamen Rider Gaim and see if it's as good as some people say.

Squishy3

He wrote almost all of Kamen Rider Gaim, except for a few episodes that were tie-ins for movies and the final epilogue episode which was also half a tie-in with a previous film. He's also writing or has finished writing an entire one cour show, but it's unannounced and probably not another season of Madoka.

Expelled From Paradise was actually written before Madoka was finished being written. It was just in production hell for years because Toei didn't have the technology or staff to produce it for a while.
And Gaim is exactly as dumb as a children's show should be.

Because Kamen Rider is for children. Doesn't mean I don't love it. But I mean like Psycho-Pass S1 at least didn't go to shit until like the very very end at least. Spooky Boogie for life

jonjonaug

He wrote all but one episode of Psychopass S1, as well the Psychopass movie.

Psycho-Pass isn't a solo project when it comes to the scripts, although Urobuchi is credited with almost every episode and shared creative control with Motohiro and Shiotani. Scripts were co-written with the help of Makoto Fukami. It's hard to track down exactly how the work was broken down though.

On a side note: Shiotani is the moe-est of anime directors and I hope he gets to head up more projects in the future outside of Psycho-Pass.

Cornbread78

Mirai Nikki ep.1-6
So far through 6 episodes we have seen our beautiful yandere princess, Yuno doing her best killing to protect her love Yuki. She's killed cultists, students and even a kuwai lil' loli boy alike to help her man. If nothing else, this show is so far over the edge that it is entertaining as hell.

Psycho-Pass isn't a solo project when it comes to the scripts, although Urobuchi is credited with almost every episode and shared creative control with Motohiro and Shiotani. Scripts were co-written with the help of Makoto Fukami. It's hard to track down exactly how the work was broken down though.

Yes, Urobuchi had a co-writer on the Psychopass scripts, but I'm not about to believe that Urobuchi's writing needs to stay unsullied by outside hands for his true genius to come through.

On a side note: Shiotani is the moe-est of anime directors and I hope he gets to head up more projects in the future outside of Psycho-Pass.

I hope he sticks to what he's good at and directs more OPs/EDs.

Mature

This is what I call the "Urobuchi cycle". Urobuchi writes consistently good 7/8 out of 10 works and makes one REALLY good/interesting thing every 3-4 years or so. 2000 was Phantom, 2003 was Saya, 2007 was Fate/Zero novels, 2011 was Madoka, and 2014-2015 was Kamen Rider Gaim.

So I don't expect Urobuchi's next big original work to be super great, but probably still pretty darn good. Give it until 2017-2018 before we see the next 9/10 out of 10 thing that Urobuchi does.

People with taste.
Are you suggesting Phantom was good and interesting?

New Gintama OP and ED confirmed to start in January

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-06/does-swimy-perform-new-gintama-theme-songs/.96160

Looking forward to the Christmas episode in the middle of January and the New Year's episode in February

also silly gintama theme food http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...am-neo-armstrong-cyclone-jet-armstrong-cannon

The next round of singers for JUMP series dont sound so good, I didnt like DOES for Shippuden.

Squishy3

the singer of DOES sounds like prince hata if he was speaking normally

aka it's the best band for gintama because they already did one of the best EDs

Jaxec

Asura Cryin 1

I got through the first episode and by the end wanted to shoot my brains out. This was not only bad, but so boring. I suppose that's what I get for trying to watch this type of show. Anyone got any good recommendations for harems and or light novel adaptations that aren't that bad? Dropped really hard.

Majestic Prince 1-6

I was actually okay with this. Liked what I have seen so far and I can enjoy the characters and their interactions for the most part. Also Sawashiro voicing a character mever hurts. This art looks like the same used for Fafner, might watch that afterwords.

Tuck

Kuroko no basket 2 - 18
It... is hard to put into words just how incredibly epic the past few episodes have been. I was on the edge of the seat damn near the whole time. Basically from Kuroko's screw up to the end was just non stop tension. I guess the only thing that felt kind of silly was "Zone." I mean, it was cool as fuck. But the name! Such a cheesy name!

Also I would like to draw attention to two characters.

Look at this guy:

f840a69da97d4df19fb658c62ad76f18.jpg

Look how deliciously evil he is. His mannerisms, his voice, every taunt that comes out of his mouth just utterly perfect.

Next up, cat-face.

Every anime character - yes, all of them - should have a face like this. Look at him! He's adorable.

I hope the show keeps this up.

Jarmel

Banned
Gintama 1-75
u0slYtQ.jpg

"Look at Sadaharu! You keep calling him a dog but anyone can tell he's clearly a Sadaharu!"
So I'm finally getting around to writing this, I meant to do it after the Benizakura arc but obviously didn't. It's kinda hard to do, as many episodes just end up blending together and so it's hard to highlight particular elements in certain scenes. Let's get this out of the way, the first 24 episodes are rough. The first two especially are bad. You can tell the show is in the setup phase and as a result the show is lacking any sort of oomph. I don't want to say they were bad but they certainly aren't good either. The show kicks in with the hot pot episode as it seems like everything has settled in and the staff is comfortable with the characters and premise. The hot pot episode is sorta like a 'bottle' episode (not that you can really have one in anime) but is hilarious due to the characters and their reactions. That's something that I've realized in that the show generally works best when particular characters play off each other or bitch and moan in Shinpachi's case.
https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/ff92830a665f6cdfc22acf6166b9b97e.webm
Why can't the action be more like this?
Yes, that's a rhetorical question.
The back 50 or so has been noticeably better in both the dramatic and comedic section although there are some duds here and there. Everything has warmed up and so it's all flowing better. That said, the dramatic arcs aren't exactly stellar and while the Benizakura arc was generally good, it also didn't blow my socks off. The early part of that arc felt too slow at times, especially when they were investigating. It is heads and shoulders above the rest of the show though, especially on the storyboard and animation side. The arcs are good enough I guess but I'm hoping for a bit more improvement there. It's impressive though how well the show shifts gears even inside the 'dramatic' arcs.
The comedy is very heavy reference oriented which is annoying at times especially with a lot of it being Japanese culture related. I can't fault them as the show is airing for a Japanese audience but it can get annoying at times, especially if the jokes run on. That said, the show doesn't just cite something but usually twists it to some meaningful degree so it's not pure reference humor like Family Guy.
I'm enjoying the characters a lot more now, mainly Kagura has kinda gotten the spotlight for me. Her throwing up on the barbecue during the beetle hunting episode and her overall being a pig is pretty fun. Kugimiya voicing her is also hilarious considering her other roles. I think Shinpachi has actually gotten more annoying over the course of the show as he keeps having to play the straight man and so he comes off as grating at times.
The animation quality itself is kinda subpar in general but it's a long running series, so I guess it comes with the territory. I know how hellish the production scheduling gets for those. It does have its moments so I suppose that's enough.
XWfFww5.jpg

*nods nods*
Overall, it's been good. Great Demon King>Gintama>Demon King

Kuroko no basket 2 - 18
It... is hard to put into words just how incredibly epic the past few episodes have been. I was on the edge of the seat damn near the whole time. Basically from Kuroko's screw up to the end was just non stop tension. I guess the only thing that felt kind of silly was "Zone." I mean, it was cool as fuck. But the name! Such a cheesy name!

Also I would like to draw attention to two characters.

Look at this guy:

Look how deliciously evil he is. His mannerisms, his voice, every taunt that comes out of his mouth just utterly perfect.

Next up, cat-face.

Every anime character - yes, all of them - should have a face like this. Look at him! He's adorable.

I hope the show keeps this up.

Koganei is great. So underrated.

Majestic Prince 1-6

I was actually okay with this. Liked what I have seen so far and I can enjoy the characters and their interactions for the most part. Also Sawashiro voicing a character mever hurts. This art looks like the same used for Fafner, might watch that afterwords.

That's Hirai character designs for you. I can say that the style of MJP was at least good enough to differentiate it's characters from other Hirai series.

And yes, you should watch Fafner afterwards.

Jaxec

That's Hirai character designs for you. I can say that the style of MJP was at least good enough to differentiate it's characters from other Hirai series.

And yes, you should watch Fafner afterwards.

So do I jump straight into Fafner Exodus or is the other series tied to it?

Deltora Quest episode 1

So CR just got this and the art-style looked interesting so I tried it.

The voice acting is very cheesy but the show as something that I like! I'll keep on watching it.

So Crunchy has Garokawa and it's streaming on Jan 16th.

Huh, didn't expect that. The movie doesn't look too interesting, but I'll give it a look for Ishihama's sake.

Crunchyroll said:
Garakowa -Restore the World- is directed by Masashi Ishihama, who previously worked on Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass 2

Do they really have to name two shows that Ishihama only did an OP for, while ignoring the show he actually directed?

Squishy3

Alright, I'm finishing up GX now. Although back to Xenoblade for a bit, my Skell is calling me!

Symphogear GX 9

Oh shit, Ver is back. Guessing he was locked up in the Palace.

Quasar

Which I liked. Makes me wonder who is writing the novel sequel.

Actually thinking about it, I've not liked much of his work. Just Expelled and Gargantia.

So do I jump straight into Fafner Exodus or is the other series tied to it?

The original series Fafner: Dead Aggressor, the prequel OVA Right of Left, the sequel movie Heaven and Earth, and then sequel TV series Exodus, in that order. Although I have heard some people watching the prequel OVA first with some success.

It's a somewhat big commitment for sure, especially given the somewhat slow first half of Dead Aggressor, but I think it's worth it.

Jaxec

The original series Fafner: Dead Aggressor, the prequel OVA Right of Left, the sequel movie Heaven and Earth, and then sequel TV series Exodus, in that order. Although I have heard some people watching the prequel OVA first with some success.

It's a somewhat big commitment for sure, especially given the somewhat slow first half of Dead Aggressor, but I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the help. Will definitely check it out.

Cornbread78

Invaders of the Rokujyouma? Ep.10-END
Well Metroid, this was a good rec. The show was anything anazing, but it had decent comedy and was a lot of fun to watch. The show never want crazy with the harem stuff and the girls were definitely all unique characters that kept the story going with fun.

Araragi "loves" Hanekawa, except that it's more like lust and not love. He's more in love with the idea of Hanekawa.

All about dem boobies..

------------------------'--------------'-'----

Ok, need another rec for some ecchi fun. I don't care if it's lewd, as long as it's not incest shit, loli shit or definitely not a combination of the two. Just some good sophomoric comedy fun like American Pie.

That is the series of the shorts with the kid in class and the white haired girl that gets in trouble for his games, right?

It's a full length show with a lot of dirty humor about a teacher and three of his students. I feel like I should know what you're describing, but it's something else.

Jaxec

Invaders of the Rokujyouma? Ep.10-END
Ok, need another rec for some ecchi fun. I don't care if it's lewd, as long as it's not incest shit, loli shit or definitely not a combination of the two. Just some good sophomoric comedy fun like American Pie.

Kore wa Zombie desu kW? Of the Dead
Golden Boy
Mayo Chiki
Trinity Seven
Problem Children Coming from Anthor World
Seitokai no Ichizon
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica (lewd)
Mangaka-san to Assistsnt-san
Umisho

Those are some ecchi comedies I enjoyed.

Chindogg

Araragi "loves" Hanekawa, except that it's more like lust and not love. He's more in love with the idea of Hanekawa.

I can see that, but given that's how he is with Hachikuji it seems more than that.

Gahara may be the traditional romantic love (as weird as that sounds) but there's clearly a closeness and love for Hanekawa. Not just as an ideal but as a person.

Araragi said it himself, he loves Gahara more than Hanekawa.

Phatmac

Nothing serious like last episode which is fine but instead we got a funny episode with our sixtuplets dating fake girls. The ending was pretty great with them finally getting their revenge. This show has the best reaction faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom