• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or how about you throw them all in the bin and watch Kill Me Baby instead. The end of all arguments and peace is restored.

End of Evangelion is still my #1, its unlikely anything will ever beat it. Even as far as just films go, I think it's still in my top 10. When people say that the 90s were the best they should point to EoE and not Ninja Scroll or Trigun because no one is ever going to make anything like that again.

TUSR

Banned
pUSMAEZ.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Good thing I'm fluent in reading anime mouth movement otherwise the meaning of that gif would be completely lost on me.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I like Madoka, but i still prefer Evangelion. In term of raw emotion, eva win hand down (i'm talking about the OG and the end of evangelion)

ibyea

Banned
In my case when I first watched Evangelion I was too young to appreciate it, so the latter half of the show left me sour in my mouth, and the ending just ended up leaving me with such negative impressions that as much as I logically recognize the show's strengths, I can't help but have an automatic negative gut reaction to it, haha. I don't think I will ever be able to objectively look at Evangelion unfortunately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like the more they try to explain about Eva, the less I give a shit. Which is why everything that comes after the TV ending of the series feels like it's pulling at threads that everyone would be better off if they were left alone. "Congratulations" is the best ending to the story.

It's the same reason why I don't want this Madoka sequel thing. The movie pulled off a miracle by not being a complete piece of shit like the Rebuild movies, and now they're on the verge of ruining it.

I feel like the more they try to explain about Eva, the less I give a shit. Which is why everything that comes after the TV ending of the series feels like it's pulling at threads that everyone would be better off if they were left alone. "Congratulations" is the best ending to the story.

EoE hardly explains anything. If anything it makes things more confusing, in stark contrast with 3.33 which suffers from the lack of exposition where people do know things but stubbornly refuse to inform Shinji for no other reason then the audience has to have some mystery to latch onto.

I can see liking the TV ending better though. EoE is a total gut punch.

ibyea

Banned

It's the same reason why I don't want this Madoka sequel thing. The movie pulled off a miracle by not being a complete piece of shit like the Rebuild movies, and now they're on the verge of ruining it.

I personally liked EoE ending better than the TV ending, even if it was deeply unsatisfying in other ways, in that so little is left in the end due to the completely depressing stuff that you feel this deep emptiness in your chest. But you know what? At least it felt complete.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EoE hardly explains anything. If anything it makes things more confusing, in stark contrast with 3.33 which suffers from the lack of exposition where people do know things but stubbornly refuse to inform Shinji for no other reason then the audience has to have some mystery to latch onto.

I feel like EoE tries to explain what happens during the ending that is handwaved away in the TV series due to budgetary reasons. So you have a mech fight and then giant floating Rei hands. Perhaps the only thing that comes out of it that's interesting is the damaged relationship between Asuka and Shinji, starting with the masturbation scene in the beginning and the choking scene at the end (I still appreciate that the actress went full method and was literally choking as she recorded that scene).

It's funny though, I actually think 3.33 is the best of the Rebuild films because it's about the interiority of Shinji's character. Particularly in a world that is completely unfamiliar to audiences. That and I still think the Shinji x Kawaru relationship is one of the best things to come out of Eva. lol

The piano part in particular is by far the best thing about 3.33 that isn't the music.

Other then that, fuck it. It's a total mess and it feels like two entire movies were skipped, plus the design of everything just went off the goddamn rails with the beast mode cat EVAs and the color pallet of the whole world. Mari still has no reason to exist as well

Y'know what no its too late to be bitching about 3.33

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I personally liked EoE ending better than the TV ending, even if it was deeply unsatisfying in other ways, in that so little is left in the end due to the completely depressing stuff that you feel this deep emptiness in your chest. But you know what? At least it felt complete.
I suppose in a way, both endings are not satisfying for different reasons. I just didn't really see the need to have yet another Eva fight that didn't really amount to anything given that Instrumentality was going to happen anyway.

I think the cut live action ending is the secret best ending of Eva though. :p

The piano part in particular is by far the best thing about 3.33 that isn't the music.

Other then that, fuck it. It's a total mess and it feels like two entire movies were skipped, plus the design of everything just went off the goddamn rails with the beast mode cat EVAs and the color pallet of the whole world. Mari still has no reason to exist as well

Y'know what no its too late to be bitching about 3.33
I still vastly prefer it to the first two movies. But ultimately, it's because it's the least garbage film rather than because it's any good.

I suppose in a way, both endings are not satisfying for different reasons. I just didn't really see the need to have yet another Eva fight that didn't really amount to anything given that Instrumentality was going to happen anyway.

I think the cut live action ending is the secret best ending of Eva though. :p

That Eva Unit 02 fight is one of the most brilliantly animated sequences ever so its existence is justified.

I think the stuff cut from EoE is pretty fascinating.

I still vastly prefer it to the first two movies. But ultimately, it's because it's the least garbage film rather than because it's any good.

It's not like I dislike it because it diverges, I actually liked 2.22 because of that. I just don't think it is good at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That Eva 2.0 fight is one of the most brilliantly animated sequences ever so its existence is justified.

I think the stuff cut from EoE is pretty fascinating.
I just don't care about giant things pounding each other (insert sex joke here), so it didn't really do anything for me. Whereas I was riveted during Eva TV 26.

It's not like I dislike it because it diverges, I actually liked 2.22 because of that. I just don't think it is good at all.
I just think 3.33 at least justifies the existence of Rebuild. In fact, 3.33 could be the first film in the Rebuild series and you really wouldn't lose anything.

I still can't help to be curious to see what Eva 3.0 + 1.0 is like but the complete and utter lack of any information at all and the name change makes me think that they are pushing 4.0 back to make a movie to try and rectify 3.33 and explain shit which is a good sign*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still can't help to be curious to see what Eva 3.0 + 1.0 is like but the complete and utter lack of any information at all and the name change makes me think that they are pushing 4.0 back to make a movie to try and rectify 3.33 and explain shit which is a good sign*
Oh god, I think that would make for a terrible film if they tried to contextualize 3.33 in any way. I feel like their only hope is to go deeper into the hole they've dug themselves into.

I mean Rebellion had a hell lot retconning and loosening the already flimsy limitations the Madoka world had set for it. With the rebuild movies you can at least regard it as a separate continuity or instance whereas Rebellion continues right where the series ended. A series that had a rather conclusive ending to boot.

The extreme success aside, it's no surprise that more Madoka stuiff would follow after Rebellion since that film enabled Shaft to put in whatever nonsensical story they want to tell. Everything can be explained with god power shenanigans at this point. Though I suppose people who are still interested in the characters won't let that deter them in any way.

Oh god, I think that would make for a terrible film if they tried to contextualize 3.33 in any way. I feel like their only hope is to go deeper into the hole they've dug themselves into.

I'm not sure what would be worse, desperately trying to rectify 3.33 or doubling down and try to continue off that mess as is

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean Rebellion had a hell lot retconning and loosening the already flimsy limitations the Madoka world had set for it. With the rebuild movies you can at least regard it as a separate continuity or instance whereas Rebellion continues right where the series ended. A series that had a rather conclusive ending to boot.

The extreme success aside, it's no surprise that more Madoka stuiff would follow after Rebellion since that film enabled Shaft to put in whatever nonsensical story they want to tell. Everything can be explained with god power shenanigans at this point. Though I suppose people who are still interested in the characters won't let that deter them in any way.
I guess my feeling at the time was that, if a Madoka movie trilogy HAD to exist (because companies want to make money), doing what they did with Rebellion was the perfect way to just shatter everything and leave it completely fucking broken. When I was watching that final act - in a movie theater no less - I was just mesmerized by how little fucks were given when Homura basically having a breakdown and selfishly destroying everything.

Trying to explain that, or revert that back to the status-quo, or even trying to one-up themselves again just seems like folly of the highest order.

I'm not sure what would be worse, desperately trying to rectify 3.33 or doubling down and try to continue off that mess as is
Filling in the gaps would be horrible though. Unless they do it in the most acid-trip inducing manner. Then maybe I can get behind that.

Filling in the gaps would be horrible though. Unless they do it in the most acid-trip inducing manner. Then maybe I can get behind that.

The thing is they literally left a massive 14 year gap to fill. The false preview for 3.0 at the end of 2.0 is shit that happened in between and that world is just nonsense now so its begging for a bridging movie.

Although I think some of the stuff like the Curse of Eva is such a stupid-ass idea that explaining it would just make me hate it even more.

ibyea

Banned
I still have to watch Evangelion 3.33 (that stupid pretentious numbering scheme...). The insane stupid stuff I hear the movie has fills me with anticipation. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The thing is they literally left a massive 14 year gap to fill. The false preview for 3.0 at the end of 2.0 is shit that happened in between and that world is just nonsense now so its begging for a bridging movie.

Although I think some of the stuff like the Curse of Eva is such a stupid-ass idea that explaining it would just make me hate it even more.
I feel like those teaser things are just trolls anyway, and a legacy of the TV airings of the show. SERVISU SERVISU.

If they do explain that crap, I'd hope it would be strictly through synaesthesia, where beams of light are synchronized to a 30 minute symphony. Oh, I guess I just described 2001. lol

I still have to watch Evangelion 3.33 (that stupid pretentious numbering scheme...). The insane stuff I hear the movie has fills me with anticipation. :p
It's actually very grounded, but purposefully disorientating in terms of its place in the timeline.

ibyea

Banned
I guess my feeling at the time was that, if a Madoka movie trilogy HAD to exist (because companies want to make money), doing what they did with Rebellion was the perfect way to just shatter everything and leave it completely fucking broken. When I was watching that final act - in a movie theater no less - I was just mesmerized by how little fucks were given when Homura basically having a breakdown and selfishly destroying everything.

Trying to explain that, or revert that back to the status-quo, or even trying to one-up themselves again just seems like folly of the highest order.

Yeah I had the same attitude, so I just went along with it, and you know what? As long as you accept that it's not that bad. ^_^

I think I once said in this thread that I thought 3.33 was as bad as the Star Wars prequels or the Matrix sequels but I rewatched all 6 SW movies with some friends and maaaaaaaan Attack of the Clones is literal shit so I take that back. Jury is still out on the Matrix sequels but I probably ain't gonna watch those ever again

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah I had the same attitude, so I just went along with it, and you know what? As long as you accept that it's not that bad. ^_^
Rebellion is an "experience". And it came out the same time as Gravity, so I'm already at the point where I'll never feel as blown away by film as I did at the end of 2013.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/wakeupgirlszoo4.jpeg

Honestly, WUG Zoo is too good for this thread. I'd almost argue mentioning it is going off-topic because, honestly, the truth is it ascends the medium; it is next-level anime.

phaze

I haven't watched both in long, long time but IIRC EoE gives closure to characters like Rei, Asuka, Misato, Gendo that tv ending either lacks or is supremely vague about. It also sheds much more light on SeelevsGendo conflict or the yellow goo apocalypse.

You are now starting the best arc of all times.

That's some ... high praise.

Slapmaster Girl Nanami 32
It's hard to gauge where all that transpired here leaves Nanami's character at as I've no clue what
Akio shows these people to make them fight
but at the very least, after all that happened, it should be hard for her to
go back to her usual Oniisama shtick.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 33

It's a recap episode ! With maybe the most crucial development since episode 1 !

Jintor

yuruyuris3e08

that first 'skit' was approaching classic looney toons levels of mickey mousing. (not disney levels tho). Like, god damn, that was really soothing.

wonzo

Banned
Honestly, WUG Zoo is too good for this thread. I'd almost argue mentioning it is going off-topic because, honestly, the truth is it ascends the medium; it is next-level anime.

WUGners really are the most superior of all the idol stans.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is this WUG thing just WUG Zoo or the WUG franchise in general. I still remember how most people ignored it as just "that Yamakan anime" a year or so ago when it came out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is this WUG thing just WUG Zoo or the WUG franchise in general. I still remember how most people ignored it as just "that Yamakan anime" a year or so ago when it came out.

Well WUG Zoo is an entirely different beast to WUG.

However WUG itself was a good show, though I stand by opinion that it lost its way towards the end after the promising start. However, compared to Cinderella Girls (which is a far more apt comparison than the original iM@S anime) it told the story of the journey of an idol career much better. Uzuki's journey was almost laughable.

As for Yamakan, I don't really know much about him outside of being the guy who gave Lucky Star a bad start.

Qurupeke

The TV ending wasn't an ending. I liked the Congratulations scene but I'd hate if I had to watch this live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom