• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Perfect Insider Episode 10:

Oh dear god fuck that 24 minutes of unsatisfactory navel gazing bullshit, what a waste of time and resources this turned out to be.

Ascheroth

Shokugeki no Soma season 2 got announced apparently. Not really a surprise but nice to finally see it confirmed.

YES. I don't know if anime in 2016 needs to be saved, but if it did, now it is.

Death Parade - Episode 6-12

Had this on the backlog for ages and always meant to finish it off. Finally managed to do it this week, bit by bit. I really enjoyed it. I remember that when it was airing, I felt that the "mythos" storyline with the arbiters and the girl was weaker than the episodic stories about the guest pairs, but I think eventually the series managed to tie it all together pretty well. There was a good mix of different circumstances and situations for each pairing, and in the end it was all used as proof of the diversity of life and of humanity itself, which was great. What I liked most about the ending is that ultimately nothing really changed and there wasn't a huge dramatic shift because of how things played out. Instead they opted for an open ending where there is optimism, pessimism and a general sense of uncertainty towards the future, which is exactly what life and death is about.

Good show. Hope Tachikawa gets to direct something new soon! Also, the looooong skating montage was sooooooooooooooo good.

Death Parade was soo good. Definitely on my AOTY list.

Also, sometimes I'm actually glad that there's barely anything to watch during the week, because if I'd had no time during the weekend, catching up is easy during the week.

Like it happens to be the case this weekend.
Our college is holding it's annual GameJam. Because who needs to sleep, right.

The Perfect Insider 10

I will weep bitterly if that is the killer. Its so dull and uncreative, something nishinosono would have come up with even.

I pray its the leader guy like it usually is in whats new scooby doo mysterys.

FFFF

Easily worst written mystery anime of the past decade. The editor needs to issue me an apology for wasting my time and yours for going through this whole multiweek affair for such a dumb reveal. The talented staff of Scooby Doo would have come up with a way more interesting and pleasing outcome. Noitamina continues to deliver bad anime often.

It is? All the characters I've seen are guys. It's based on an otome game.

Oh yeah you're right I misread some summary I read earlier on.

Whatever!!!!

I did some googling and it seems like there's at least one girl.

a4LeRkY.jpg
She's even a main character according to MAL

And her VA is HanaKana~

So its Free but with relay running instead?

Makes sense for shows to ride on Frees coattails to appear.

I mean, in the sense that it's a female-oriented series with a (in this case fictional) sport focus, yes, but Free hardly invented that. Prince of Tennis came earlier, to point out one prominent example.

What aspect of the story indicates it would be best suited to text?

It's mostly the way the dialogue and exposition is delivered. These scenes where the characters sit in a room, talk, and introspect really seem like something that would come across more naturally through text, especially with use of 3rd person limited where we have access to their thoughts.

No, but Frees the current big hit that people want to cash in on.

Maaaaybe, but even if you look just at fujoshi sports shows, Kuroko aired a year before Free and was a major hit. If anything, Free was riding on Kuroko's coattails.

Speaking of Free, though, it's interesting to note that the High Speed movie looks to have underperformed considerably at the box office.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's mostly the way the dialogue and exposition is delivered. These scenes where the characters sit in a room, talk, and introspect really seem like something that would come across more naturally through text, especially with use of 3rd person limited where we have access to their thoughts.
I tend to feel that these are failures of the VA work and direction more than anything. Small spaces with strong performances and solid character animation do tend to lend themselves to other formats, and I wouldn't quite say that Perfect Insider is deep to the point that it benefits from having a structure the reader can chew through word by word.

Quasar

I tend to feel that these are failures of the VA work and direction more than anything. Small spaces with strong performances and solid character animation do tend to lend themselves to other formats, and I wouldn't quite say that Perfect Insider is deep to the point that it benefits from having a structure the reader can chew through word by word.

Yeah.

And this actually makes me curious about the drama version.

Quasar

Oh nice, on his blog even instead of ANN. So more pictures and a better layout in general.

Also that was an excellent read, I can only recommend it.

It's interesting that at first he dropped the show halfway through the first episode as I pretty much did the same.

Yeah. I figured he would have lapped it up from day one.

pbayne

Speaking of Free, though, it's interesting to note that the High Speed movie looks to have underperformed considerably at the box office.

Heart-breaking if true. I love some Free.

I'm always baffled by the concept of that movie though. Sure its cool to have a prequel and to see what the characters were like when they were younger and that is something for die-hard fans to get into.

But for the more casual fans you removed the man-service hugely by de-aging them. Even as a fan, I can't deny fanservice is a huge selling point for the series. I dunno, appeal to the shota crowd? Is that lucrative now?

e_i

Is the Order a Rabbit episode 9

What the hell was writer doing under the table? Trying to catch a glimpse of loli pantsu?
Also, Chiya's breasts are weapons of mass destruction. No boo-tons are safe.

javac

News
-----
Anime Limited
Kill la Kill standard edition Blu-ray and DVD releases coming in 2016 (blog.alltheanime)
In 2016 Anime Limited will be making the series available in standard edition form on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Our standard edition release of the series will be over three parts on each format coming packed in an amaray case. The on-disc content including extras will be identical to what was included in our original Collector’s Edition releases. The episode split being:
  • Part 1: Episodes 1-9
  • Part 2: Episodes 10-19
  • Part 3: Episodes 20-24+OVA Episode 25
The Blu-ray Standard Edition and DVD Standard Edition releases of Part 1 and Part 2 will each have an RRP of £29.99, while the RRP of Part 3 will be £24.99, though we expect the actual prices retailers will charge for each to be lower than that.
-----
Discotek Media
Wicked City Artwork
01pQF5S.jpg
-----
Articles
Shoji Kawamori, The Creator Hollywood Copies But Never Credits (forbes.com)
Robotech, Tatsunoko Production, Big West and Harmony Gold.
It’s here we come to Robotech and it was clear throughout this part of the interview that Kawamori wanted to talk more openly but due to the legal situation between Tatsunoko Production, Big West and Harmony Gold he was unable to divulge too much.

“When it comes to Robotech, it’s difficult to comment. It’s not as though I have sat through the whole series. Not to mention that it combines three separate series Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada. So it feels a bit forced as a result.”

“At the same time, this was an opportunity for our work to be shown to the world and for that I am thankful. However, because the partial change in the story was made without approval from us, the original authors, it still produces an uncomfortable feeling after all these years.”

“At the beginning when Robotech was being shown I used to go to air shows in America and occasionally pilots would say that they watched it and liked the designs, so that was nice.”

“Around this time I also heard about how some of my Macross designs were used in BattleTech. It seems that the company that held the rights to use only the packaging design of the plastic model broadly misinterpreted that. As they thought that anything on the packaging could be used elsewhere. So a lot of different designs appeared to have been replicated. Naturally, I didn’t approve of any of it and only found out about it third hand. It’s not something I can talk about openly, as this possibly became a court case.”

For clarification, these are the Unseen mecha in BattleTech and many of the designs in question were taken from the Valkyries and Destroids in Macross.

“As for the recently announced live action Robotech movie, I welcome the opportunity to work on it but that request has yet to come.”

“There was also an attempt around the time of Macross Plus to make a live-action Macross movie in Hollywood and I was a main member of the team writing up a story plan for it. The scenario was written by a Hollywood screenwriter as well but unfortunately it never got passed that stage.”

“This isn’t the first time a live action movie like this has been conceived either and over the years I’ve heard of multiple attempts, though during this time they’ve never contacted me for any of them.”

“As the original creator of Macross I do find that quite disappointing. I should be at least contacted really. However, it might be that they are still too early on in production to contact the original designer and one of its authors.”

“I really wish I could have Macross released in its entirety across the world though. If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I’d be very happy to see that happen.”

My general impression here was that Kawamori and those at Studio Nue being the creative copyright holders of Macross, are caught in among all this. The frustration was obvious, as he clearly just wants to see his work released after all these years.

Macross Delta
Kawamori is undeterred though, as he’s already working on the next entry in the Macross series. Called Macross Delta it looks to take the franchise in an interesting new direction, while also staying true to what made the previous series’ so engaging

“Macross Delta’s story is set 8 years after Macross Frontier. While Frontier was based closer to the galactic core of the Milky Way, Delta is set in the planets at the outer rim.”

“At the time of the show, there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive and is spreading across the galaxy like a kind of epidemic. In among this are the tactic musical unit Walkure, a group of girls who can sing. The effect of their singing is used to calm the effects of the syndrome.”

“The girls from this tactical musical unit are also be supported by Delta platoon, which are transformable combat troops deployed in these operations. Then there are the Aerial Knights, which are separate and somewhat of a mystery group. So all these elements interact and the story will progress from that.”

“In Frontier, the story was based around a colony fleet visiting various planets but this is more about specific planets and the different people who live on them.”

“In terms of Aerial Knights, their insignia indicates a degree of nobility and while they have elements similar to the Anti-United Nations in Macross Zero they are not directly connected, but do have a similar standpoint.”

On Macross Toys And Games
Armored Core wasn’t the only major PlayStation series Kawamori worked on, as he also famously contributed the mecha design on Omega Boost as well

“Sony got in touch with Studio Nue on Omega Boost way before the launch of the original PlayStation. So this was even before Armored Core started. At the beginning of the game’s development, we were only allowed to use 300 polygons per a mecha. Around that time I got to know Kazunori Yamauchi, who would later go on to do the Gran Turismo games but at that time he was also working on Omega Boost.”

“This meant the games were being worked on simultaneously and when I visited to look at Omega Boost he’d also show me how Gran Turismo was progressing as well. The original plan was to have Omega Boost launched with the PlayStation. However, Yamauchi wanted to improve the game so he actually started the game’s development over twice. In total, the game was probably in development for 4 to 5 years.”

From Gundam To Everything Else
With all his work on transforming mecha it’s no surprise he also contributed to the creation of early Transformers, back when it was known as Diaclone.

“Regarding the original Transformers, I was actually involved with it before it was known as that. I worked on it when it was called Diaclone.”

“A few months after I joined Studio Nue, Takara got in contact for development of a new original robot toy series. Even though I was still 19 years old, I very much enjoyed working on the development from its outset. Around 2 to 3 months after that, another request turned up. As we had to also design a car based mecha which could transform.”

“It was a very collaborative process, with some of the ideas being presented by them as well as others by me. So they are not really purely my designs, though I worked on Convoy (Optimus Prime) among many others.”

Much much more at the link.

Russ T

Banned
I've fallen behind on the last two weeks of The Perfect Insider, but it's been good to amazing for eight episodes. Hard to imagine it just dropping off, but it's definitely possible.

Jex

So, as someone who enjoyed Gundam Unicorn (yes, even the ending.), why do people seem to dislike it so much?

Is it because it has dumb space magic? Especially in the final episode?

Because I just kind of accept that Gundam has dumb space magic.

I'm okay with it.

I'll admit Riddhe was pretty terrible though.

Especially when he does THAT for no reason, for no reason at all.

Well, there's lots of problems with Unicorn. I attempted to catalogue them here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129229004&highlight=unicorn#post129229004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom