• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's lots of problems with Unicorn. I attempted to catalogue them here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129229004&highlight=unicorn#post129229004

I find myself agreeing with a lot of your points. The treatment of the female characters in Unicorn is certainly unpleasant.

Expectations really color what I consider enjoyable entertainment.

It's odd to say, but I went into Unicorn expecting the story to be terrible. The worst Gundam series have this problem where the characters feel like walking talking ideological viewpoints rather than characters. In that regard, I kinda expect irrationality in Gundam stories now. Banagher alternates between not caring at all, and swearing eternal loyalty.

That said, I found some enjoyment in Unicorn's story. Banagher and many of the other characters may be thick, but there's an enjoyable theme of optimism in the face of adversity and passing the torch to the next generation even if it's not for the best.

I'm a sucker for stories with those themes.

I guess you could say I enjoyed Unicorn despite its flaws and issues.

Good review by the way, enjoyed reading it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I've fallen behind on the last two weeks of The Perfect Insider, but it's been good to amazing for eight episodes. Hard to imagine it just dropping off, but it's definitely possible.

Dropping it off a cliff isn't enough, I think a holy exorcism might be needed.

Tuck

Finished Kuroko S2.

Awesome season - shame about the bad english voice acting and second fan service character. And that fucking hot springs episode.

But seriously the match against Aomine was incredible.

25 episodes to go! Should finish just as Haiku S2 hits 12 episodes - meaning its the perfect time to catch up.

And a Shokogeki S2 confirmation? Today was a good day.

In a celebration of both Christmas and the announcement of the release date to his newest movie, I'm giving away a Blu-ray copy of one of Makoto Shinkai's films, Children Who Chase Lost Voices (or Hoshi o Ou Kodomo, which means Children Who Chase Stars and I will never understand why that wasn't the English title).

9Exi7ktX6EsKXS8V2fmSSyKWYIF.jpg

The rules to my shitty giveaway are that you simply IM me a guess at my favorite sports anime. If you guess right, your odds of winning are drastically higher. If you are the only one who guesses right, you get a 1/1 chance at winning. If no one guesses right, I'll choose randomly. If you somehow guess the anime I have every season of on Blu-Ray that I'll never admit to owning, I'll feel awkward and also put you into the pool of people who guessed right. So there's that.

NA only sadly, since shipping gets awkward going anywhere else. If anyone is on campus in Cambridge, I might hand deliver it depending on when I go to visit my family back home.

Contests will end on December 15th. I've never done anything like this on GAF before so point out if I've made some grave error.

sonicmj1

The Perfect Insider 10

To be frank, anyone who relies on Shard and DTL for their opinions about mysteries is an idiot. Not that this solution is perfect (which I'll get into when I write a fuller post after I eat), but the basic mechanics of it are the logical development of everything that came before.

ibyea

Banned
The Perfect Insider: 10
If you want to look at this purely in the perspective of a puzzle/riddle, it's pretty neat. But this is human beings we are talking about and the actions taken seem to stretch disbelief and not well developed. I liked the whole virtual reality scene but really the mystery itself, at least when it comes to the human aspect of it is not good.

Paradise Kiss - 01-12 [Complete]

This was quite good. It was apparent from the writing that the manga author also did Nana and that can only be a good thing. 7/10 from me.

ibyea

Banned
The Perfect Insider 10

To be frank, anyone who relies on Shard and DTL for their opinions about mysteries is an idiot. Not that this solution is perfect (which I'll get into when I write a fuller post after I eat), but the basic mechanics of it are the logical development of everything that came before.

Yeah while I don't think the mystery was good overall, I don't think it was that bad either. At least in the puzzle aspect of it, it was well executed. I especially liked the time altering/file deleting trick.

Cornbread78

Mayo Chiki ep.10-END
This show was pretty good throughout in the comedy area and kept you enterained, especially by the really mean Ojou-Sama, who liked to play games with the lead pair; she was the highlight of the show for sure. I was a little surprised at the ending a little as it felt incomplete, since the final episode was only a filler episode, more like an OVA, oh well, watch it for the comedy, because that is the highlight of the show, not the "romance", lol.

Quasar

Mayo Chiki ep.10-END
This show was pretty good throughout in the comedy area and kept you enterained, especially by the really mean Ojou-Sama, who liked to play games with the lead pair; she was the highlight of the show for sure. I was a little surprised at the ending a little as it felt incomplete, since the final episode was only a filler episode, more like an OVA, oh well, watch it for the comedy, because that is the highlight of the show, not the "romance", lol.

I thought I had to read the manga to get the end actually.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If you want to look at this purely in the perspective of a puzzle/riddle, it's pretty neat. But this is human beings we are talking about and the actions taken seem to stretch disbelief and not well developed. I liked the whole virtual reality scene but really the mystery itself, at least when it comes to the human aspect of it is not good.

Yea, this is pretty much where this series lost me, well, one of the points at least.

duckroll

Is there even a single good serious mystery anime in existence? Seems like the only ones which manage to pull it off are long running episodic stuff for kids like Conan. All the serious attempts at doing western style procedurals with a mystery element, especially murder mysteries, tend to fall flat. Is there something I'm not remembering?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Perfect Insider 10

I am not a gimmick chracter if that is what you are insinuating, sorry I didn't find The Perfect Insider to be a great series but that is my experience with this series.

Narag

Is there even a single good serious mystery anime in existence? Seems like the only ones which manage to pull it off are long running episodic stuff for kids like Conan. All the serious attempts at doing western style procedurals with a mystery element, especially murder mysteries, tend to fall flat. Is there something I'm not remembering?

Wonder if Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple manages due to the source material. I mean there's that girl and her duck added but I could swear it's pretty straightforward otherwise.

attack on titan

Phatmac

Tantei Gakuen Q
Himitsu: The Revelation
and Monster from the top of my head.

Dennou Coil would certainly qualify in my opinion. Great show all around and the mystery stuff is resolved really well.

wonzo

Banned

surprised you forgot that seminal BONES classic un-go

javac

Jerome Mazandarani, who worked at Manga Entertainment in the UK for 9 years as Head of Marketing & Acquisitions and now works as Chief Operating Officer at
Animatsu Entertainment made some tweets yesterday, a rant if you will. The whole thing can be summarized by this tweet:

My point is that niche, pervy anime is not commercially viable in the global market place. Even on Crunchyroll.

and his rant started due to an article and comment that he saw on ANN, as they all do. Now as interesting as that conversation would be, some other information came out of his tweets that I thought I'd post.

The average anime series (12 x 22 min) costs approx $150K per episode to produce. That's $1.9 million USD total.

Home video account for nearly 60% of the revenue, 10% to international licensing, 20-30% to character licensing and derivative right

Crunchyroll & other VOD services are killing the middle ground for DVD and Blu-ray. Franchises still work. Niche doesnt.

200 new shows a year on average are simulcast. Less than 25% make any money outside of Japan.

I am basing my opinion on UK sales data. UK does about 10% of US.

...So! If we sell 500 units of title X that means US probably sold 5,000 units. However! The advance for US is 100-300% more.

And I am only counting anime fans that make some form of legal transaction. For example. Based on 2014 "anime" category

...home video sales, the UK anime consumer audience is around 100,000 engaged fans who made at least 1 purchase in 2014.

Sales volume and value peaked around 2006. US companies were making more per unit than they do now.

In regards to One Piece, Bleach, Naruto on BD:

Yep. We aren't even allowed to release episodic OP, Bleach, Naruto on Blu-ray. DVD only for now.

How did Raildex do? I know it was released too late in the year to really make an impact

Disappointing.

Are you ever going to do a Stand Alone Complex BD release? Even Korea has a BDBox at this point with Engdub/sub.

@simonm094 Waiting to see what happens in Europe and whether we can team up with another distributor on special packaging, inception etc.

#animewilleatitself
https://twitter.com/ReallyShitTweet

Mailbox

Idk about you guys, but i liked episode 9 and 10 of the perfect insider.

I won't say that its a great mystery series, but I have no problem saying its good.
Definitely above average. Good devices, and interesting twist, well written (even if it does redo conversations for no good reason).

Idk... I've been enjoying it at least >.<

You want to know what I didn't miss? Fucking lance n' masques.
Not even 3 minutes into catching up and i already want to hit everything in this show with a brick.

duckroll

Monster is an interesting case. I'll admit I didn't think of it because it doesn't quite fit what I'm thinking of here. Monster is a long form thriller. There is investigative work as part of the story but it isn't the focus, because it's more of a story about a guy on the run and the people he meets along the way.

I remember watching the Top Secret anime ages ago, and thought it was pretty awful...

Tantei Gakuen Q fits with the sort of "for kids" thing I described though. Similar to Conan, Kindaichi, Milky Holmes, etc.

What I'm wondering is whether there is an actually well made and more importantly well written detective/mystery anime for older audiences. I guess GitS Stand Alone Complex is actually the closest to what I'm thinking of, but maybe non-scifi? Idk. I would even settle for a good version of Witch Hunter Robin if it existed! :p

The only mystery in Attack on Titan is the mystery of how people are still looking forward to another season.

Jerome Mazandarani, who worked at Manga Entertainment in the UK for 9 years as Head of Marketing & Acquisitions and now works as Chief Operating Officer at
Animatsu Entertainment made some tweets yesterday, a rant if you will. The whole thing can be summarized by this tweet:

In regards to One Piece, Bleach, Naruto on BD:

#animewilleatitself
https://twitter.com/ReallyShitTweet

Why would Bleach or Naruto be on BD in the west when JPN doesnt do it. Also the one piece ones arent even good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Depends what you're counting as a mystery. Mushi-shi and Mononoke both have set ups based around uncovering information, even if there are supernatural elements at play. The last Mononoke arc in particular is very distinctly a murder mystery.

Monster is an interesting case. I'll admit I didn't think of it because it doesn't quite fit what I'm thinking of here. Monster is a long form thriller. There is investigative work as part of the story but it isn't the focus, because it's more of a story about a guy on the run and the people he meets along the way.

I remember watching the Top Secret anime ages ago, and thought it was pretty awful...

Tantei Gakuen Q fits with the sort of "for kids" thing I described though. Similar to Conan, Kindaichi, Milky Holmes, etc.

What I'm wondering is whether there is an actually well made and more importantly well written detective/mystery anime for older audiences. I guess GitS Stand Alone Complex is actually the closest to what I'm thinking of, but maybe non-scifi? Idk. I would even settle for a good version of Witch Hunter Robin if it existed! :p

The only mystery in Attack on Titan is the mystery of how people are still looking forward to another season.
There's this show called UN-GO that you should look into.

Rampo Kitan.

duckroll

Depends what you're counting as a mystery. Mushi-shi and Mononoke both have set ups based around uncovering information, even if there are supernatural elements at play. The last Mononoke arc in particular is very distinctly a murder mystery.

I haven't watched Mononoke yet (sorry hosanna!!!!) but I watched the episodes of Ayakashi which introduced the character and story format, and I'll agree there.

Mushishi I would consider similar to something like Death Parade in the sense that while there's an element of episodic mystery and discovery, the focus of the story is often not on solving the mystery but presenting a certain point about people.

I'm interested in finding good shows which focus on the investigative aspect in particular - one or more characters actively finding clues and working towards solving a mystery, rather than the mystery being only important to the audience and is "solved" as a consequence of the story unfolding.

It depends on what exactly you're looking for. If you're looking for a crime/mystery procedural similar to Columbo or Law and Order, I can't think of anything like that. But if you're looking for well made, solidly written mystery-ish anime, I can think of a few.

Boogiepop Phantom
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Hyouka (yeah, probably not what you're looking for, but still)
Mononoke
Mouryou no Hako
Noein? (been a while since I've seen this, but I remember it did feature detectives!)
Skull Man
Trapeze
Vampire Princess Miyu TV

I haven't watched Mononoke yet (sorry hosanna!!!!) but I watched the episodes of Ayakashi which introduced the character and story format, and I'll agree there.

Mushishi I would consider similar to something like Death Parade in the sense that while there's an element of episodic mystery and discovery, the focus of the story is often not on solving the mystery but presenting a certain point about people.

I'm interested in finding good shows which focus on the investigative aspect in particular - one or more characters actively finding clues and working towards solving a mystery, rather than the mystery being only important to the audience and is "solved" as a consequence of the story unfolding.

Ah, OK, if you're looking for an investigative aspect, all of the above definitely apply, especially GitS and Mouryou no Hako.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
House of Five Leaves Episodes 1-7:

Right, so I meant to get to this series awhile back in my quest to watch some Manglobe titles that I had yet to watch but got detoured by other series but that is over and done with. At any rate, I understand this is an adaptation and not one of their original titles but so far I have found this to be one of the better works from the studio. Even on an adaptational level I would much rather watch this then the bland and washed out grit of Gangsta mainly because one of the best thing about the show is the characters. This is an area I have noticed Manglobe has had some problems with in some of their creations, even the likes of Samurai Champloo didn't click with me completely. Though I suppose it makes sense even in spite of this being such a short series that character and chracter interactions would be the bulwark of the series since this is basically a coming of age/fish out of water story with samurai. Also a really nice series if you are looking for an atypical anime since everybody is an adult and we are dealing with adult situations in spite of the fact that Masa has some growing up to do in the eyes of the society he inhabits. Also the art style is rather interesting though I could not say I am digging it with faces and expressions so wide you would think that Shaft was animating the production.

duckroll

Hyouka is a great example of what I'm talking about - it's a great show but a TERRIBLE mystery procedural. The mysteries and the solutions are not solved in satisfying ways but are rather vehicles for character development and exploration of the psyche of the people involved. In addition, no one in the show even really cares about the mysteries, which excuses them to pull some really banal stuff out of their ass to construct the scenes they need.

I'm thinking of shows like Witch Hunter Robin, Un-Go, Gosick, Darker than BLACK, etc. I want shows like that, except with well written mysteries which are clever and satisfying, rather than.... whatever those shows ended up being! :(

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

The closest thing i can think of is Moryo no hako

Hyouka is a great example of what I'm talking about - it's a great show but a TERRIBLE mystery procedural. The mysteries and the solutions are not solved in satisfying ways but are rather vehicles for character development and exploration of the psyche of the people involved. In addition, no one in the show even really cares about the mysteries, which excuses them to pull some really banal stuff out of their ass to construct the scenes they need.

I'm thinking of shows like Witch Hunter Robin, Un-Go, Gosick, Darker than BLACK, etc. I want shows like that, except with well written mysteries which are clever and satisfying, rather than.... whatever those shows ended up being! :(

It's no Agatha Christie or John Dickson Carr, but I would say the mysteries are solid enough. They're logical and there's enough clues given to the audience that they meet the qualifications of being fair play, for the most part. The film arc in particular had an interesting treatment of the whole concept of mysteries.

But yes, Hyouka is not a show you watch primarily for the construction and solution of mysteries.

Anyway, to be a good mystery plotter, you have to have a very logical and precise mind which can keep track of complicated scenarios and bring everything together at the end to clear up all the confusion and make everything make sense. That is not a quality you will really find in anyone who writes anime.

sonicmj1

It's certainly the weakest part of the show. It's fundamentally about characters who are highly abnormal.
Shiki's motivations are entirely self-interested. She wants to live without limits. She clinically removes any obstacles to the continued existence of her unfettered ego, her parents included. She prefers the virtual world where everything is as she wishes it, and nothing can contradict her. Saikawa has some sympathy for this point of view. He wonders, a few episodes earlier, if Shiki's full-throated acceptance of it makes her more human, somehow. And she's amused when, after going virtually underwater, his first impulse is to do the one thing he's unable to do there: smoke.

The conflict being set up is between her perspective and Nishonosono's. Nishonosono is someone who was basically saved after her parents' death by having someone who contradicted and limited her. She finds value in living in the real world, and it's fitting that her words are what undoes Shiki's ideal plan.

As I said, it all makes logical sense. Everything (a few plot holes aside) comes from what came before. But it's very much an artificial construct, an unbelievably specific puzzle, much like the lab itself. It only works because it operates under its own set of rules that it defines beforehand as completely distinct from our world. That makes it an interesting game, but limits how meaningful it can feel as a story.

I am not a gimmick chracter if that is what you are insinuating, sorry I didn't find The Perfect Insider to be a great series but that is my experience with this series.

I don't think you're a gimmick character, but you tend to have these extreme impulsive reactions to shows that you never really explain, so it's hard for me to ever get any sense of how I'd feel about a show from your impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom